Twilight on TV? Is There Room on the Small Screen for More Vampires and Wolves?

TwilightIs Twilight coming to the small screen?

A new take on the popular vampire and werewolf movie series is in development, and one idea circulating is a TV show, reports Moviehole.net.

With the final film in the Twilight saga set to be released Nov. 16, many people are interested in keeping the high-grossing Lionsgate/Summit Entertainment franchise — based on the books by Stephenie Meyer — alive. Potential avenues include a “TV show or film spin-off, merely set in the same world as the one in the movies but not featuring the main trio,” according to the site’s sources.

With Bella, Edward and Jacob out of the picture, on whom would such a project focus? “One area of interest” is the Wolf Pack.

But is there room on the tube, which already features the beasts of True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf and occasionally Supernatural, for even more wolves and vampires? Is there another set of characters from the Twilight books and films that should be explored instead? And which network can you see hosting such a series? Sound off in the comments!

1. Alex says:

Please no….I’m guessing The CW is behind this horrific idea?

2. Clau says:

no thanks

3. Jason Lawson says:

No one even watches Supernatural anymore besides a small group of people, Vampire Diaries werewolves RARELY even show up and TrueBlood comes on once every summer. I love what Teen Wolf has done and I don’t see why there would be a problem with doing this! People say “no” but they will still watch it.

• Rrrrrr says:

Supernatural a viewership is actually up to the high 2 million this year (which is where VD was at for most of last season) and its one of the most popular programs on Netflix so yeah people watch it

But no. I’m all for a show about vampires and or werewolves so long as its smart and well written aka everything Twilight is not. No more of that bullish!t.

• Carla says:

A LOT of people watch supernatural!it’s a cult…check out the conventions they make!vampires and werewolves have a diferent meaning than in the other shows/films!they are SECONDARY…a lot!please don’t compare them to the others!

• A person says:

Agreed on the supernatural thing. It’s amazing… But really has nothing to do with vampires and werewolves… They’re rare on that show. I would love to watch a twilight tv show

• dean says:

The show got promoted to a Wednesday, achieved 2.6 million viewers last week which was a 2 season high. Teen Wolf gets 1.6-2.0 million viewers. The audacity of your comment is married with ignorance. The fact is Supernatural was actually great for a full 5 seasons, while Teen Wolf season 1 was laughable. It improved in season 2, but still the actors aren’t that good. If the new Nielson online ratings system becomes a reality soon, then that will all change. There are millions of fans who follow it every week and are just not reflected in the present archaic system.

• Elyse says:

Netflix has even helped Supernatural get more viewers like me!

4. snowballx350 says:

and Dear God I hope the CW has nothing to do with this idea because all of these stupid remakes they continue to do…need to STOP.

5. wordsmith says:

My knee-jerk reaction is also an emphatic “no” – but would it really be the worst idea? I mean, I’d take a new supernatural action drama over another bland crime/medical/law procedural any day.

6. In the words of Michael Scott…NOOO, GOD! NO, GOD, PLEASE, NO! NO! NOOOOO!

7. Jason says:

Oh, sweet mother, no….

8. Nerdbot says:

I’d be ok if the vampires of this new tv series were REAL vampires. Not cute guys who shine when exposed to sunlight, but I think that’s unlikely since the idea comes from the Twilight’s universe. So, I’d rather not.

• Annie-C says:

Well as for real vampires the Anne Rice’s book haven’t been made into a tv show yet.

• wordsmith says:

Are we having a conversation about “real vampires”? That’s awesome.

• AT says:

LOL. Must have missed the scientific discovery of “real” vampires. People who go off about how a vampire is supposed to be limit the imagination of the writer. They are the work of fiction stemmed from mythology and can be written any way the author wants. That doesn’t mean people have to like it. But I would argue Twilight is more of a fairy tale closer to Beauty and the Beast with a vampire as a metaphor for the “beast” anyway.

9. Amanda says:

NO. NO. NO. NO. PLEASE GOD NO. NOOOOOOOOOOO.

10. Gilda says:

Oh dear god.

11. Polly says:

Noooooo. Please NO! Stop this! NO!

12. Pearl says:

Man, if they can make a serie that will make me forget the awful Bella-esque from Kirsten, the horrible twinkle of Patz’ Edward, and the sweetest wolf i ever seen from Taylor’s jacob, I’m all in. Just, PLEASE, ERASE THE NONSENSE OF RENESMEE!!! So… Basically, get the history, and make it good, by not being nothing alike the movie. =D

13. Tedi says:

You forgot to mention Being Human! :)
    Nooooo no more Werewolf/Hybrid/Vampire anything!
    Are there no other mythical creatures that can be explored? This why Lost Girl is so awesome they explore a wide range of cultural mythology and do it well.

14. Daisy says:

In a word: No. In many words: No, no, no, no, no. Definitely not. No.

15. No. Please, no! Vampire Diaries is bad enough and since I suppose CW is behind this horrible idea, I already know it would be bad and I don’t really need another crappy show. There’s plenty on that network already. And if it’s not CW, please just NOOOOO anyway! 4 movies on those books are ENOUGH!

16. Sham says:

no, i barely see it in the theater. just no.

17. Tom Charles says:

No no no no

18. Kitty says:

Stop the vampires. And the werewolves. Stop them now.

19. Adam says:

Judging from previous comments, it looks like the TVLine readers are really pumped about this! This is going to be a hit!

20. Kreshnik says:

Just wow… I don’t really think that there is room for an other vampire/supernatural show and especially if it will be all about love and sparkling vampires that fight for love and sh*t like that so yea bad move on who ever is picking up this show.

I can’t see this show streching out for more than a season or two but meh young teens will probably fall in love with an other “jacob”

NO show can beat Supernatural when comes to the storyline and how the develop characters on that show!

21. A says:

I’m all for a supernatural show but this would just be beating a dead horse. And I actually like Twilight. But no.

22. wahidroket_ says:

I prefer the idea of TV Series spin off about The Cullens. So the Season 1 will be about Carlisle (he and his father are vampire hunter back when Carlisle still human), Season 2 can be about Jasper and Alice (Jasper with his vampire war storyline and Alice is about why she loss her human memory) and maybe they can have a season about Volturi history too (including their war with Romanian Vampires)

23. GK says:

I’m just laughing at all the comments. Like as if Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries (I do know its based on the books, but they’re nothing alike) initially didn’t start out as Twilight ripoff’s. I don’t love or hate these movies and am annoyed by people who act like they live just to hate on something others love. Move on, idiots!

• Adam says:

Teen Wolf is also based on a previously existing media, the 1980’s movie Teen Wolf. I don’t see how MTV’s Teen Wolf is really a ripoff of Twilight though, considering there is no primary focus on supernatural love triangles, a supernatural male protagonist rather than a human female protagonist, and most importantly there are no vampires.

• Annie says:

Actually The Vampire Diaries books came out around 10 years before Twilight, so if anything the “rip-off” is the other way around.

• wordsmith says:

I don’t think it’s the original idea behind the show that’s a rip off, per se – but the fact that those shows are on the air today is almost certainly due at least in part to the crazy popularity of Twilight. Ditto for True Blood.

• Ben says:

No, they really, really aren’t. Especially considering that True Blood started production well before Twilight.

• wordsmith says:

True Blood entered production a year or two after Twilight was published and became a cultural phenomenon. It was at that point that everybody started greenlighting new vampire romance projects.

• Keith says:

And True Blood is also based on Charlaine Harris’s Southern Vampire books that began long before Twilight was first published.

• GK says:

I did acknowledge that fact, while adding that they don’t follow the books (I’ve read 5 of them). You seem to have forgotten initial 3-4 episodes which had tons of Twilight vibes to it and none of the source material characteristics.

24. Elyse says:

love Twilight but i think its overdone.

25. A.D. says:

Please…God….NOOOOO…this is such a crap series from poor writing, acting, and what a moronic storyline…Buffy…Angel….those were great vampire shows….this…needs…to…DIE!

26. Jenner says:

Please tell me this is just an early “April Fool’s” joke. Otherwise I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

27. Michelle says:

I’m a fan of Twilight, but let’s let it die with the movies.

28. Tim says:

The Wolf Pack idea could be okay in my opinion. That world was always way more interesting to me than the Bella/Edward story and I always wished the films were able to explore it more, so if there were a series about the wolf pack then I’d watch.

29. Babybop says:

Ehh… Maybe if it had better actors and better writing.

30. manie says:

If well written and well acted, this show could hurt other shows if playing at the same time. I think the show that could suffer the most from it would be TVD if they are schedule the same day/time at different channels.

Having a massive fanbase from Twilight, the show would start on a high note, no matter the script.

But yet everything would reside in the writings. If they can make in work in places where TVD and TB failed, it could be good.

31. Katie Hart says:

Let’s make it a Buffy/Twilight mashup! Of course, pretty soon there wouldn’t be any vampires left, unless they had a soul and/or a chip in their head.

32. paula says:

I like the soundtracks

33. Lorena says:

PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOO

34. Kristina says:

No. Nononono. This already exists, in the form of The Vampire Diaries (don’t even try to tell me it’s all that different). Please no more.

35. nick1372 says:

NONON

36. Annie-C says:

Personally, I wouldn’t be interested. Maybe because I’m not a teenager anymore but I would be more interested in a tv show about Anne Rice’s vampires than Twilight. Of course The CW should have it I think it fits their audience but other networks could do the Anne Rice thing.

37. The last thing the world needs is more Twilight.

38. Peter says:

At the risk of coming off like a troll or something I have to say this because its been nagging at me all day: They already made Twilight on the small-screen, just watch CW’s Beauty and the Beast, AKA “Hot Incompetent Detective and Handsome Ethan Hulk”.

There, I wrote it, and I’m glad.

39. Kate says:

No. Just no.

40. Kevin H. says:

No. To put it differently, “HELLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!”

41. adam says:

noooooooooooooooo

42. Fabe says:

I guess if they focused on the civil war era with Maria and whatnot? But, I don’t think it’s a good idea. The Vampire Diaries has everything you would need from a vampire TV show, so it pretty much has that locked down.

43. Mary says:

No to any part of Twilight being made into a TV series.

44. AT says:

I’m open to any supernatural based show as long as its well written and entertaining. They could make it about any new characters, just living within the same world. Do I think the Twilight books or movies are the best things ever? No. But they’re not horrible. I think people overreact to them a bit. It’s like people are having 5 year old tantrums about a young adult paranormal romance/sensation series that doesn’t effect them in the slightest. If you hate it, don’t watch, don’t read and move on. Honestly there are shows that come on the air that I would never watch but I don’t make a lot of noise about it. I just find half the comments on here to be immature. Sure people have the right to say they hope it doesn’t become a series, but it can be said with a level of maturity. Just saying.

45. AT says:

Really quick…Should a TV network turn this into a spinoff TV series? In short, yes. This is show business as in BUSINESS and it’s likely it would get a lot of viewers and make a lot of money. So I think beyond artistic merit (if done well it has the potential to be entertaining for a specific audience) it would be a smart BUSINESS move. End of story. And CW should pick it up because it would help their network.

46. Emily says:

If this has to exist then it needs to be Jasper and Alice. I would watch a Jackson Rathbone Ashley Greene show. They should have been Bella and Edward as they have actual chemistry.

47. Vale says: