Ratings: Revolution, Partners and 90210 Rise, Castle Hits a Season High, NLCS Soft for Fox

RevolutionRevolution shall be reckoned with. NBC’s freshman adventure drama hit a three-week demo high this Monday, rising 13 percent to a time slot-dominating 3.4 rating; in total audience, it saw a 10 percent bump, to 8.8 million viewers.

ABC’s Castle, however, again led the 10 o’clock hour in total audience, inching up to a season high of 10.9 million viewers, while dipping 9 percent in the demo (to 2.0). Hawaii Five-0 meanwhile (8.4 mil/2.0) ticked up a tenth in the demo, matching Castle.

RELATED | Castle Recap: ‘Kate! Her Name Was Kate!’

The CW’s 90210 posted Monday’s largest percentage gain in the demo, up 50 percent to a 0.6 while rising 14 percent in total audience (hitting 1.1 mil). Leading out of that, however, Gossip Girl was flat at 763,000 viewers and a 0.4 rating.

RELATED | Gossip Girl Recaplet: Not-So-Sage Wisdom

Elsewhere on Monday:

* NBC’s The Voice (flat at 12.8 mil/4.8) topped the night in the demo, while Dancing With the Stars (13.5 mil/2.1, down a tenth) drew Monday’s largest audience.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Shot Through the Heart, With a Coach to Blame

* Of CBS’ sitcom line-up, How I Met Your Mother (8.1 mil/3.2) rose a tenth in the demo, Partners (6.2 mil/2.1) gained two tenths, 2 Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.3) dipped a bit and Mike & Molly (9 mil/3.0) inched up a few percentage points.

* Fox’s coverage of the NLCS Game 2 averaged 4.8 mil and a 1.4 from 8 to 10 pm, placing a distant fourth in every half-hour.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

1. Becks says:

Yay Castle!!!

2. Elyse says:

yay for Revolution winning the demo!!! :)

3. Emily says:

Wow, Revolution. I only saw the first two episodes, but it looks like I’ll have to catch up. TV has been boring me this fall, though. I haven’t been watching anything besides Fringe regularly.

4. Leo says:

I felt bad for GG. I love the show and seeing 90210 gaining better amount of viewers than its swan song, break my heart.
    Glad to see HFO matching Castle in demo though.

5. Renee says:

WTG Revolution!

6. Meh says:

Whoa GG. Guess there are fewer Chair and Dan/Serena fans than expected?

7. JAA says:

H50 will be adjusted down because of NFL playing on CBS

8. shuayb says:

What the hell happened to Gossip Girl! Oh how the mighty have fallen! Good lord! Maybe the writers will see reason and start doing the right thing!

9. Alex says:

Really surprised that Revolution is the fall’s biggest hit. Don’t think anyone would have guessed or predicted that, prior to its premiere. Also surprised it hasn’t dropped below the 3.0 range, especially in the 10pm hour.

• I think I still watch it just to make fun of it. Saw the son “twist” coming a mile away. Kind of silly that Neville’s trained man couldn’t get a hit in, but eternally angry Danny was able to get one in anyway. The bad guys’ henchmen truly are completely incompetent. And let’s not ask how they even got the steam train from the museum to the tracks.

• GK says:

Huh! You don’t get it do you? That wasn’t meant to be a twist or else they Jason wouldn’t have told Charlie his name wasn’t Nate. Combine that with Neville telling Danny that he had a son his age which was a big clue to everybody. The henchmen wouldn’t beat Neville with their full force because he is Tom F***ing Neville! They’re all scared of him! The last one, I hope is a joke!

10. Andrea says:

Show like Castle are the reason the use of the current demo baffles me. Up in total viewers, but down in the demo? Ugh. 10 million+ viewers is nothing to frown about! I wish it didn’t skew older! Football was shown in San Diego on CBS, hopefully it doesn’t change the numbers too much for them later.

• eridapo says:

The rise and drop of a couple of ratings points is meaningless. It is purely due to measurement error within the statistical sample of the Nielsen Ratings. Thus looking at those numbers from week to week is an exercise in folly.

If you must, you should look at trends of 4 to 5 weeks.

Per Nielsen’s own admission, the statistical error in the ratings sample is nearly +/- 6 tenths of a ratings point. Thus if your shows mean (average ratings) is 2.5, the actual ratings could be between 3.1 and 1.9. The more measurements you have, the smaller the measurement error.

In Castle’s case, it is averaging about a 2.1 for the last 15 episodes. The ratings fluctuate around that number. Some weeks Nielsen will say 2.2 or 2.3 while in others it will show 1.9 or 2.0 decline. The more likely scenario is that the numbers were unchanged. Neither up nor down.

11. Emma says:

CASTLE getting a low 2.0 demo out of that number of views isn’t good at all. Demo is king not viewers. Therefore Castle fans should worry for a 6th season

• JAA says:

I seriously doubt that

• martina says:

I believe Castle has its sixth season in the bag. But a seventh season? I seriously doubt it.

• Caskett is canon says:

Wouldn’t want season 7 honestly. I think this one and next would tie Castle up in a nice pretty bow. Oh and people need to look at other shows on ABC, specifically other scripted dramas, when making ‘comparisons’. Everything else is irrelevant as far as the execs at ABC are concerned. Basically you have Grey’s, Revenge, and then Castle rounding out the top three for the network.

• KDub says:

Castle should go 8. There’s so much more story to tell, it’s ratings are solid, the writing is phenomenal – there’s nothing to stop it from going to 8. Solid shows go 8 and I’d be devastated if it fell short of that, especially considering the 1st season wasn’t even a full one. Personally I feel like this season was a new beginning; it’s bright and fresh and amazing…I’m beyond entertained and so excited for Mondays.

• Symce says:

Yeah I know, silly revolution is nibbling at the demos for castle. Also DWTS sucks, it’s not hip, so it won’t carry the demos over to Castle. Notice how the demo’s are almost always similar for both shows? Also Castle continues to gain viewers every episode, that’s why the demo’s are so surprising to me, also a bit of a shock.

Nothing to do but wait, I’m confident ABC has nothing else to fill the slot up with for another year or so, so Castle will stay on the air for a 6th season, I have no doubt about that.

• Dean says:

America’s most watched network – CBS can’t even muster that number for Hawaii Five-O which is just in season 3. A light-hearted, albeit well-done veteran show like Castle on ‘ABC’ holding on to that number of viewers with no help from DWTS is nothing to laugh about. Demos do matter, but in Castle’s case, it was always around 2-2.5 the past season. Season 6 is a lock if it stays at that level.

• Thilia says:

Having Castle and Beckett finally hookup was the kiss of death for the show. The tension is gone and now it is nothing more than a by the numbers procedural.

• Alex says:

Couldn’t disagree more. I thought last season of the show was boring until the finale, while there’s a new and exciting energy this season, and the cases have been a lot more complex and interesting.

• luli says:

Have you been watching the show? Because for me this season is one of the best! They didn’t loose anything, they gain more… So put more attention.

• eridapo says:

Relative ratings are what is important. Castle is actually steady when compare to its spring numbers whereas other areas of the network are weaker. Last Resort, 666 Park, PP, and Scandal are doing far worse in less competitive time slots. With Nashville the jury is still out, but new shows normally drop 20% on their second outing. If it holds with tradition, Nashville’s 2.8 will be a 2.2 (or 2.3) this week. Week 3 numbers will drop another 10%, so by week 4 it will be in the same state as other ABC shows at 10PM.

Also other than Revolution, there is currently no 10PM show doing better than a 3.0. CSI and Elementary are the only two shows in the mid 2s. Everything else is at or below a 2.0

12. Gina says:

Srly going by this article title I thought Castle was going to have a kick ass demo. But oh no, a just a lowly 2.0. That isn’t anything to brag about when it has a high viewership. What, are the old ladies falling asleep after DWTS, forget to switch off? Lmao

13. Sky Lark says:

haha, what is this, the Castle network? Since when do total viewers matter in the US? Over pimping a bit there, get a grip. Nice for PR value, nothing else. haha

• just saying... says:

CBS has been marketing itself as “the most-watched network” for years now because of its total viewer performance.

That ABC is now using that same spin (based on fact) for an older, yet top-performing show is not exactly coming out of left-field here…

• Jessica says:

@ skylark IKR. TVline has turned into a Castle fanboy site lately. Zzzz… Imo.

• Belinda says:

Wow…lamest comment i’ve seen on this website…I mean seriously “Castle fanboy site”? I don’t even watch the show yet everyone knows TVLine is an all-rounder site. Fix your browser and go check out the other articles before you show up here again…

14. Dean says:

Revolution keeps getting better and better every episode. This is what I like to see in shows. Its definitely a keeper. I’m ecstatic about the ratings for this show. This and Last Resort are the best of the new dramas.

15. Cam says:

Castle can only manage 2.0 from with DWTS as a lead in?….. Just think how low it would get if it had no lead in….Castle should be standing on it’s own two feet by now, launching new ABC series’ instead of needing a lead in 5yrs on.

• JAA says:

are you ignoring the fact that Castle is doing almost the same numbers than DWTS in the demo? Castle is not lead in dependent.

• Symce says:

The fact it has almost the SAME demos as it’s leadin means it’s pretty much standing on it’s own two feet. If it had the Voice as a leadin it would be doing better, compare it to Revolution, which is also a new show, keep that in mind. Revolution would prolly be 0.5 lower if it had DTWS as a leadin.

Anyhow, most shows drop in viewers/etc after a few yrs, Castle is consistent, it’s just up versus some stuff competition this year. As soon as the shinyness from Revolution wears off we can see where the ratings end up at.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You evoke a good point: As successful as REVOLUTION is, it’s managing just 70% retention out of THE VOICE. CASTLE meanwhile is holding onto 95% of (dusty) DANCING WITH THE STARS’ demo.

• Dean says:

That’s a given for most shows. I just take heart in the fact that whatever show comes after Modern Family doesn’t even have that much retention even though they are in the same genre. The audience for The Voice aren’t tailor-made for Revolution. If anything, Smash couldn’t even muster half the ratings of The Voice last season. Revolution is a good show (with flashes of potential greatness) which deserves those numbers and more.

16. Deg says:

Hey How I Met Your Mother,
    How about a funny joke this season?
    I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

17. Cam says:

Castle has been lead in dependent for years now. I am talking about DEMO. It drops in demo from DWTS. It drops in viewers. It has been leeching of the10pm slot for too long. It should be launching new series’ for ABC not hiding behind DWTS for years. If it were to stand on it’s own it would be lucky to get a 1.5 demo. (It has already got a 1.9 this season)

• JAA says:

which part of Castle does almost if not the same as DWTS in the demo can’t you understand? And if you want to take part in a discussion shouldn’t you at least get your facts straight? so far this season: Castle 2.1 / 1.9 / 2.2 / 2.0 DWTS 2.5 / 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.1. In fact ABC has a problem with DWTS this season not Castle.

• Andrea says:

DWTS is the show dropping in the demo not Castle. Castle has remained steady for the better part of 2 years. While DWTS hasd dropped from a 3+ demo to falling BELOW Castle next week. ABC should be more worried about one of their flagship shows plummeting than Castle, which has been steady and gaining viewers.

18. Robin says:

Psyched about Revolution!

19. Sarah says:

As much as I like actually getting to watch my team play now, I can’t help but feel a little sorry for Fox. I know they can’t help it because of their deal, but I bet they’re wishing they could show Bones instead.

And in all honesty, I’m more than a little surprised that the ratings are so low.

20. madbengalsfan85 says:

I get the feeling FOX would rather air Bones than the MLB playoffs…just a thought

21. Jared says:

90210 has out rated GG for the last 2 seasons..yet the CW feels the need to promote GG way more than 90210. I don’t get it.

• I completely agree. 90210 went up, while GG went down. I understand why they’re promoting it seeing as its The CW’s baby, but seeing as 90210 is doing better and obviously has loyal fan base that is NOT connected to a couple that they’d be pushing for 90210 to go on; mostly because it could still have another chance for another season unlike GG.

22. Whateva says:

Baseball..

23. GK says:

Awesome ratings!! I was so happy to see Kim Raver (24) and Lapidus!! Revolution gets better every episode! Last night’s episode was badass! Neville’s interactions with Danny and Charlie gave me an adrenaline rush! And Neville’s backstory was so intriguing! People who have been whining for it (and said it was a flaw of the show) since the start, there you go – A WORKING STEAM ENGINE TRAIN! Charlie assumed control and is morphing into, quite possibly, a great character now! This is good old fashioned storytelling guys! I’m in this for the long haul!
    Castle was awesome as well! Beckett was superhot, Castle was still goofy and the episode was hilarious!

24. M3rc Nate says:

I am wondering now if Tracy’s (Lead on Revolution) contract has a clause with NBC that says at least once per episode she has to puppy dog her big blue eyes and cry. I am pretty sure she has cried at least once in every single episode.

25. sarah says:

Yeah 90210 and H50!!!!

26. Daniel says:

Castle is consistent….remaining steady, pretty awesome :)

27. Carolina says:

Castle <3

28. intelliwoman says:

Castle is one of the worst shows on TV primarily because the girl who plays Castle SUCKS.

• gossip2010 says:

really ?! Castle has proved to be an amazing show with an excellent writing and very good actors, every fan of castle will tell you this
      If you don’t like the show don’t watch it and stop criticizing it

• Krithika says:

The girl who plays Castle?? Are you nuts?? Castle is a MALE character you dummy!! Just goes to show you’ve never even seen a promo much less HEARD of it…no wonder you used a fake name…

• Steve says:

You’re a trolling idiot commenting on a show you never watched. The MAN who plays Castle is a brilliant actor with a built-in fanbase. He is Nathan Fillion. The woman alongside Castle (Beckett) is a beautiful and gifted actress named Stana Katic. You have to be developmentally disabled to not be able to see the artistry the two work between eachother with only looks and gestures. They reinvigorate the whole “Moonlighting” vibe (Bruce Willis Cybil Shepard) without all the backstage histrionics and bitter melodrama. And please, people. If you don’t know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and shut up and don’t comment. Spare all of us your ignorance,

29. Camille says:

Revolution is a great show! I am so glad it came along because I really wasn’t watching anything on NBC other than Grimm and hadn’t been for years. My husband watches ZERO TV but he, too, is officially hooked on Revolution. Let’s hope it sticks around!

30. luli says:

What do they mean with demos???

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

There are two primary sets of numbers that the networks, advertisers and us [the viewers and fine folks at tvline] track – the overall total number of viewers and their ratings (based upon total number of TV sets in USA/in use, DVRs, etc], and the 18-49 ‘demo’ total viewers and ratings. It is this age group of 18 yrs to 49 yrs that the advertising community seeks and pays most money to attract in their ads on TV. Those demo ratings are critical to a show’s success and survival.

Most often, you’ll see the two sets of numbers (total viewers and 18-49 demo) combined into one overall single set of numbers – the overall total number of viewers and then the ‘rating’ of the 18-49 demo. For example, NBC’s Revolution got a 8.8/3.4 – 8.8 million viewers in total, with a rating of 3.4 in the 18-49 demo. Anything above a 3.0 in the demo rating is very good, anything around 2.5 is good for demo. 2.0 is probably as low as you’d want to see for a show to keep getting renewed. There are exceptions, particularly for those shows bringing in 10.0 million total viewer or more – those shows most often can withstand lower demo ratings.

31. Mari says:

YAY Castle is really steady even with this terrible lead in.

32. omar says:

I’m so happy for 9O21O :)
    GG its a joke since the season 3, all the god stuff happened in High School.

33. lindsay says says:

Man I really don’t care for 90210 but I really like to watch Trevor Donovan…. I’m torn.