The CW's Emily Owens, M.D.: Will You Come Back for a Follow-Up?

Emily Owens MDThe CW unveiled its new medical drama Emily Owens, M.D., on Tuesday night — and we want to know if the show’s fresh-faced interns have you hankering for weekly hospital visits.

RELATED | Supernatural Vet Samantha Ferris Lawyers Up for Emily Owens

But first, a brief refresher: Emily Owens is done with high school. She’s even finished med school. But when she starts her internship at Denver Memorial Hospital, she realizes you can never really escape the haunted hallways of your past. Insecurities continue to plague her as she crushes on her pal and fellow intern, Will (Justin Hartley). After she finally works up the nerve to tell him how she feels, he reveals that the romantic vibes aren’t mutual. Ouch! Then he starts to hit it off with their co-worker Cassandra (Aja Naomi King), who was Emily’s high school nemesis. Double ouch! The hospital also brings a new playground bully tormentor in the demanding, no-nonsense Dr. Bandari (Necar Zadegan).

But there’s a light at the end of Emily’s long first day. She makes friends with intern Tyra (Kelly McCreary), who quickly confides in her about her feelings for a nurse. And the rules of TV logic tell us there must be another guy in the picture until Will wises up and realizes he does like our titular heroine. Enter Dr. Micah Barnes (Michael Rady), a cute resident who takes Emily under his wing.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Emily Owens, M.D., then expand on your vote in the comments!

1. Stephanie says:

I thought it was really cute. And I’m already loving Micah and Emily.

2. Robert Taylor says:

Really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Gummar is excellent and the writing is always a smidge smarter than you’d expect. Plus, I like how the pacing isn’t as manic as “Grey’s Anatomy.” Definitely coming back for the second episode.

• I completely agree. I wasn’t expecting the writing to be that smart. Some of the twists actually surprised me. I came in with the lowest of low expectations and only really watched it cause nothing else was on and I wanted something in the background while I was writing but I found myself really enjoying it. The cast is really good and while I thought the main girl was quite annoying in the ads, she was actually very likable and cute.

3. de says:

i’m SO loving Micah and Emily their so CUTE together!

4. Marissa says:

I love Michael Rady. I was so sad when he was written off of Greek, so I’m very happy to see him on a CW show I actually enjoy. (Melrose 2.0 was some kind of awful.)

5. Vicente says:

I liked it better when it was called Scrubs

6. Amy says:

I really liked it. I like the Emily character. I can definitely relate: the overthinking, lacking confidence, the realistically spasticness of her character.

• That’s one of the things I liked the most, how relatable Gummer made Emily. I’ve felt just like that so many times.

I also liked the characters of Micah, Tyra, and the tough attending. Will seemed kind of meh and Cassandra was too one dimensional even with the sad backstory.

I’m looking forward to next week’s episode. I wouldn’t mind a little less internal dialogue though.

• mia says:

I agree with you about how relatable Gummer made Emily. Its so refreshing to see that on tv….someone that I can really connect with, someone I would probably be friends with, someone I can see myself in.

7. João Amaral says:

Cute. I like it.

8. Sheldon W. says:

The only good thing I can say about this one is that at least Justin Hartley is getting a regular paycheck (though I hope he can find regular employment elsewhere when this turkey croaks).

9. Linda says:

Um, I like looking at Justin Hartley again.

10. sam says:

I really liked it, I’m just hoping it continues and does well.

11. april-ann says:

LOVE it, I planned to watch the debate and tape EOMD but ended up watching more of it than the debate (I’m totally p*ssed that the President got a raw deal yet again – it’s clearly a pattern – he answers a question intelligently with facts but “we’re moving on now…” and with another question, Mitt answers in his usual uninformed way but it’s “oh gee, we’re out of time for that question”, ensuring Mitt doesn’t have to respond to the President’s comments, and ensuring that the President can’t respond to Mitt’s stupidity. Terrible. Oh well. Democracy?) Back to Emily Owens. It’s great. Who can trust the CW to keep a great show on? Maybe give it a chance after a bum deal of its premier episode going up against the second debate, a town hall debate? Not me.

12. Elisabeth says:

Ugh, I thought the writing was horrible. They made her character so annoying – she never shut up. And who dwells on high school that much EIGHT years later. Give me a break!

• A lot of people actually. Most of the people I know from high school (who graduated 4 years ago) are pretty stuck there. They still hang out in the same cliques, do the same things and behave the same way.

• shuayb says:

You were probably a Cassandra type in high school so to you high school was the time of your life. For those who’ve had less than stellar experiences, the trauma that is high school will be lost on you.

• Elisabeth says:

Not even a little bit. I was the painfully shy smart girl. I just don’t think it does women any favors to act like we’re all insecure high school girls. My friends and I changed so much by the time we were 25, you can barely recognize yourself and what happened in high school seems so far away. I just don’t buy that hospitals are “just like high school.” And to paint an educated, intelligent woman who made her way through med school with the same emotional brush as a 16-year-old girl just doesn’t ring true.

• Marisa_once says:

I agree that it is as it was for Emily, but then you’re faced again with the source of your trauma (Cassandra), and the memories comes back so it’s understandable she would feel insecure again. How would you react if you just started a new job and you’re faced with someone who knows your past and start telling embarrassing stories about you and calling you “pits”?

• reasonating says:

I did think her character was a little bit TOO annoying at times and that she did need to stop talking a lot more often than she did, but I didn’t think it was horrible. Overall, I liked it enough to watch it again next week. Though, I do think that MOST people have moved on past high school and high school style drama, and I think making that the premise for the show definitely weakens it. Let the show be about an awkward young doctor trying to find her way, not, how doctors are just like high schoolers. That just seems like a silly gimmick that could quickly become tiresome.

13. greysfan says:

Its ok but i found it awkward to watch. I gave it a C

14. Albert J. Pickles says:

Offensively unintelligent and utterly sexist. Complete garbage.

15. Kristina says:

It was ok, it grew on me over the course of the hour. I’ll watch next week.

16. Laura says:

I had heard nothing about this show until today, and I loved it! I really hope it takes off, I would hate to see it fail because of a lack of media interest.

Also, to the negative nancy who said it was unintelligent, I highly disagree! I thought it was sweet and poignant. I work at a hospital and have never considered the specialty stereotypes like high school before, hilarious! Not every show has to be House.

• cracho says:

Thanks for your comment. I think people need to remember this show is not called Greys Anatomy! (I love Greys but it has lost the humor that made it such a great show) I too work in a hospital and I like the human touch they put into this. I love that Emily is a little neurotic (Bridget Jones) but that when it matters she is kick ass! I think this is going to be a funny, emotional yet entertaining show!

17. garryfish says:

It was not bad. Alittle less of her speaking in the background would be better. I will still watch NCIS LA and DVR the show

18. I really loved it, I love how awkward Emily is, which makes her so cute, and the show is very cute, I like this CW Tuesday line up, its cute medical shows tuesday. I’m team emily/micah.

19. katie says:

Watching right now and..I like it.I like it a lot. The first couple of ads made it look kinda bad but I’m pleasantly surprised so far.

20. big cheddar says:

I really like Mamie Grummer- I think she’s a great actress – but I had to turn it off after 10 minutes. The constant internal dialogue was too much, especially since she’s in every scene, so you don’t get a break from it. Hopefully this will be fixed by episode two.

• kavyn says:

I think you might have found it annoying because it was all they aired in the commercials. It’s not constantly like that and honestly, every single piece of internal dialogue except maybe 1 or 2 were seen in all the ads.

Give it a shot next week and see if you find it annoying. I’ll admit I got annoyed listening to it in the commercials over and over, but personally I enjoyed the episode.

21. Tina B. says:

I like Emily’s character and Emily and Micah, and I love that Justin Hartley is on my screen again!

22. Alice says:

What I would like to know is if the people who write these medical dramas have ever actually been to a real hospital or met any real health care professionals. I know it is tv and not reality, but it is so far from reality that it is difficult to watch.

23. Dean says:

Mamie Gummer was so likable. I was very surprised by the absence of truly annoying, evil, vengeful characters in a drama. I have no word for this show other than – ‘adorable’. I might just watch a few more episodes. Of course this is less about the medicine and more about interpersonal issues, so people clawing about the medical aspects are just nitpicking. This isn’t trying to be House to get that technical.

24. Grayson says:

I enjoyed it.

25. McAmster says:

She’s just too homely to watch. Never liked her before, didn’t watch tonight. EPIC FAIL!

• mia says:

its sad you are *that* shallow.

• reasonating says:

Wow, did you seriously just say that? I really hope that you can at least blame being young and still stupid for that d-bag comment.

• Dean says:

Well hello there, sexist d-bag.

• Belle says:

You sound like a typical male DB- Mamie is adorable!!! Why is it that men won’t watch a show unless the girls are beyond beautiful, or there is a chance you might see some skin???!!! Spare us your rude comments, keep them in your head where they belong!!

• Annie says:

Dude you are one big jerk!!! Plus no one asked what we thought about the superficial looks of the cast…you didn’t watch the show anyway so you have no right to proclaim an “epic fail” :) adios dillhole!!! Show was cute, and if they give it time I think it’ll be fun to watch the characters and stories move forward.

26. mia says:

I really really liked it. It was funny, heartwarming and quite charming. I was nervous about Mamie Gummer and that I wouldn’t be able to separate ‘Emily’ from the character she played on The Good Wife…but I was.
    Emily was so relatable and Gummer did a fantastic job with that. I love how she’s different than most women you see on tv, she’s more normal and relatable but also incredibly compelling.
    I really like the supportive cast too….a lesbian woman of colour! whatwhat!

27. Sarah says:

The first twenty minutes were almost a direct reiteration of the Grey’s Anatomy pilot from nine years ago. It was actually appalling how similar the two storylines were, from the surgical interns to the “walk with me” rant from the attending (Bailey much?) to the young girl flatlining with only a newbie doctor (Emily/Meredith) in the room.

After that it got a little better, but the secondhand awkwardness was almost too much to bear. I’ll watch it again, but my hopes aren’t all that high for this show.

• tp says:

The whole time I was thinking dang this is SO much like the first epi of Grey’s. I will give it a couple of more time to see if it stays in rotation,

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, Grey’s kept popping up in my mind while I was watching(hated the constant internal monologue here and comparing this cardboard cutout of an attending to the multilayered Bailey is a disservice to the greatness that is Chandra Wilson). Still, I thought the writing was pretty sharp in spots, Mamie Gummer was excellent as the lead character and I love both Michael Rady and Justin Hartley(though I hope that character is developed beyond the role of token hottie, which of course Hartley can pull of in his sleep, but still…).

28. Jamie says:

This was such a surprise! I love the characters, the dialogue and Justin Hartley! The main actress really has some feeling. I loved it. Will want some spoilers on this show.

29. Reaper says:

Whoaa some here are fake Emily and Micah (Emly/Micah) fans coz they want Justin Hartley to themselves.

I see you smalville fangirls.

• Annie says:

Um, no – Justin Hartley doesn’t do it for me on this show at all, he’s dull and boring so far!! Sure, he was yummy on Smallville, but Dr. Micah is the hotty on this show for sure :)

30. JC says:

I enjoyed the pilot. Mamie did a decent job I hope they focus on her character’s development more before they throw her into that inevitable love triangle :) I will tune in next week for sure I enjoyed the pilot more than beauty and the beast :)

31. Ane says:

When I first saw the name of the show I thought “OMG, they think they can be the new House MD”! Then I watched the teaser and my thoughts changed to “uh, it’s a remake from Grey’s Anatomy”. When I finally watched the pilot I was happy to find that no, it’s not a Wannabe House or Grey’s. But still, a lot of Grey’s first season dejavu in there… It’s a C until I see something different..

32. Elyse says:

love it!!

33. Emily says:

While it won’t replace House M.D. for me; I like the show and will tune in again next week.

34. Emma says:

Rude, unkind and untrue to say that Mamie Gummer is unattractive. She is lovely and she made the character really likable. What a talented actress.

35. Katie says:

Is the coat Emily is wearing in the picture here the exact coat Meredith Grey wore in season 1-2 from Grey’s Anatomy?

36. Tom says:

I thought it was predictable and, at times, made me cringe. How many first year intern-themed television series have there been? Someone ought to check because an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records might be the only award this show ever gets. I’m sorry, but it’s hard to believe in a character who graduates from medical school and is still emotionally twelve. This show just seems like an amalgamation of a bunch of old hospital shows with the usual cadre of stereotyped characters. I might be more enthusiastic if it were thrown out there as a summer replacement; but as a fall premier I thought it was weak. Will I watch again? It depends on what else is competing for DVR time. My initial impression wasn’t very positive, but it could improve. The sad thing is shows these days often don’t get a lot of time to find themselves. This pilot episode was very tentative. Unless the next one or two episodes improve dramatically, I’m not sure this one will be a survivor.

• Belle says:

You must have gone to a strange high school…I’m 40 and girls who were like “Cassandra” in high school are surprisingly still very similar – VERY catty and have to one-up each other!!!! Totally believable to act this way at only 25ish years old for sure. Count your blessings you didn’t have to deal with b!tchy girls in high school – they are real and they are the worst!!!!!

37. Belle says:

With all the negative press this received in recent weeks I was expecting a major train wreck, but I found myself digging it! I’ll be back for sure…sorry to “Will” played by Justin Hartley, he just doesn’t fit in this world (so far). Loving Dr. Barnes, he’s a hot-cute-guy-next-door type :)

38. andres says:

I think it was just too predictable, the nice guy who helps her, her school nemesis who was secretly envious, and the whole part about trying to convince the woman to take care of her mother. I like the star of the show, loved her on the good wife but i think this show is not for me.

39. John says:

this pilot kinda felt like Felicity in a hospital. The socially awkward heroine (Felicity/Emily) follows the guy she is in love (Ben/Will) with across the country only to find out the he is not interested in her the same way. Then she meets a good looking awkward confidant whom she has chemistry with (Nole/Micah). They even through in a gay best friend for good measure (Javier/Tyra).

40. Peggy says:

I enjoyed it but the one thing that threw me off was the fact that Emily wore her hair down while working in the hospital. A small thing but it was distracting. Besides that I enjoyed the chemistry of the characters.

41. John says:

They did this show already. Actually it’s still on the air. It’s called “Greys Anatomy”. And it’s LOADS better.

42. melissa says:

The shows cute but cassandras immaturity kinda ruins it for me. Shes not in high school anymore she needs to grow up act like the mature adult doctor shes supposed to be. So that character makes me not want to watch the show. Emily needs to put cassandra in her place.