Ratings: The Mentalist Rises, Revenge Ticks Up

The MentalistThe Mentalist saw ratings growth this Sunday, gaining as much as 25 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo (to a 2.0), at least based on preliminary overnight data.

Opening the night for CBS, however, both The Amazing Race and The Good Wife appeared flat week-to-week. (Final numbers for CBS are pending, once 22 minutes of NFL overrun are factored out.)

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: It’s Just Like Riding a Bike!

Over on ABC, both Once Upon a Time (with a 3.0 rating) and 666 Park Avenue (1.5) were steady in total audience yet saw demo declines of 12 percent, while Revenge With Special Guest Star Meg Masters (2.7) inched up a tenth.

In the sporting arenas, NBC’s Sunday Night Football coverage of the Green Bay-Houston game is poised to be up 11 percent from last week’s match-up, while Fox’s broadcast of the NCLS Game 1 between the Cardinals and Giants — drawing 6 million total viewers and a 1.9 rating — is on par with last year’s comparable divisional series opener.

What were you tuned into this Sunday evening? (Numbers for the Walking Dead Season 3 premiere are not yet in, and will be covered separately.)

1. veronic says:

OUAT has to fight against sport…..
    But 3.0 is great

2. Heather says:

Where are all the Once Upon a Time viewers going??! The show has been so great this year and it’s heartbreaking to see the ratings going down week to week. I know the show is still doing well overall (especially in the DVR numbers that they release later in the week) but daggone it, this is depressing. Come back viewers!!! =(

3. Annie says:

Oy. I see a devilishly quick ending in “666 Park Ave”‘s future – sad, that, as I loves me some Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams.

4. Lisa says:

If you aren’t already watching Revenge, change that!!!!

5. michelle says:

3.0 against Sunday Night Football is still good for OUAT. And the ratings will be adjusted too!

6. Felicity says:

“The Good Wife” should have stayed on Tuesday nights. That said, this year’s storyline with Kalinda and her husband is terrible. I don’t find it sexy at all. The much-discussed ice cream scene came off as gross. If anything this whole story takes Kalinda down a peg in my estimation of her character. The idea that she would allow herself to be bullied and abused (and the idea that this would be perceived as sexy) is just unbelievable. It makes me not even care about watching the show in real time. I watch OUAT and Revenge, and TGW sits on the DVR for a few days. Let’s get back to Will, Alicia, Peter love triangle, and a storyline for Cary.

• MGL says:

I totally agree. The Good Wife went to DVR this year, and I have not watched one yet. I usually catch the end after Revenge, and not one has made me want to watch the show in full. It’s too bad. I blame the writers for this one.

• Joy says:

I’ll 2nd what has been sais here. Hate the Kalinda s/l.

• Ana says:

So, so agree! I also found the ice cream scene to be so gross. Unsexy. That guy playing the husband is not sexy. He has no chemistry with Archie. He just comes across as deranged. No sexy in this story. And the idea that Kalinda would allow this creep to manipulate her like that does a disservice to her character.

• Natalie says:

I agree. The ice cream thing was simply gross, not edgy or hot at all. And I love Kalinda but I don’t like what she’s doing with her ex right now. Oh well, it’s an intrinsically good show, so I’m going to wait out the storm, so to speak, and wait for the goodness to return.

• Kim R says:

I agree as well. There is no chemistry here and it is doing the character of Kalinda a disservice. It is a boring storyline, makes no sense at all and it is taking up space in one of my favorite shows. I can’t imagine where they are going with this. What is the point? Sigh. Well, at least I feel better now. :)

• Tom says:

I just fast forwarded through the Kalinda parts. That whole story line is bad. I’m really disappointed in this show so far this season. It’s just not the same show anymore. Because of the sports overrun, you have to record 2.5 hours of programming and hope the whole show is in there somewhere. I’m not sure it’s worth the DVR space anymore.

• Lola says:

I don’t think the storyline, nor that scene, were particularly supposed to be sexy. It’s supposed to be disturbing. It’s not my favorite either, but it does work for me on the level that the whole thing just makes me uncomfortable – which is the intent, I’m pretty sure. Plus the bankruptcy stuff, the Peter/Alicia/Kids stuff – top notch this year.

• ben says:

Indeed. Amazed at all the people saying ‘its not sexy at all’ – isn’t that supposed to be the point?

• felicity says:

I disagree. All of the articles about this scene on here and/or other blogs have been building up to this hot, edgy ice cream thing that “almost didn’t make it on network television.” I can’t even count how many blog entries were written about the chemistry between Kalinda and her husband, and how, even though they are bad for each other, there is an attraction there. I have seen no such attraction. I would counter that Kalinda and Blake had that winning combo of attraction/crazy. This new relationship does not even come close.

• Kristen says:

I think it’s more annoying with The Good Wife gets pushed back because of sports – then it overlaps with other stuff scheduled on the DVR. I fast forwarded through the Kalinda crap – that storyline is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Can we move on already?

7. G says:

I also don’t think 666 Park Ave. will last long either. Maybe a different night would work better, but I don’t know if it can find an audience quick enough for a major network to hang onto or not.

I don’t think there will be an overrun adjustment this week for the CBS games as there was only an early game this week and all shows started on time (unless maybe some markets had a second game). In our area they alternate between FOX and CBS having two games and then one game. Normally the week CBS has only one game things are on time unless the one game is a late afternoon game. FOX handles this better with allowing for overrun from the game.

• dan says:

In our market (S. Fla) there was no early game, only the 4:00 pm game between New England and Seattle. It ran over by about 22 minutes. That is what Matt is referring to.

8. luke says:

The Mentalist jumped the shark two seasons ago!

9. A says:

This whole Good Wife starting later because sports overrun is just stupid. Seriously, move it to a night where it can perform well in the ratings and start on time without people having to wait for it to start not knowing when it would..

10. FayeD says:

I watched both last week’s and this week’s episode of The Good Wife. Last week was on the DVR. This business with football game run-overs is getting annoying. I didn’t think the ice cream scene was sexy and I am surprised at Kalinda for taking the crap from her husband. I still think TGW is one of the best shows on the air and I particularly liked the part where Kalinda visited the campaign worker who had clearly lied so Peter was at least good this time. I am still one week behind on “Once Upon A Time” watching last week’s episode while this week’s was on. Also watched this week’s Mentalist since again the football business is creating some frustration with these shows. 666 Park Ave. on DVR.

• Doug-H says:

One thing good for those who have CBS On Demand is they usually post the shows quickly so if you don’t want to waste DVR space, watch it On Demand.. Nice thing about CBS OD is there are fewer commercials and you can even FF them where as the other networks make you sit through commercials for the current week’s episodes only.. Older stuff no…

11. Babs says:

The Mentalist is the best show on TV and I will watch it no matter what time it’s on. Still, I’m not over CBS moving it to Sunday night.

12. Ana says:

OUAT has been getting better and better. Except last week’s epi where Snow and Emma were largely MIA. Maybe that’s what made some people not tune in yesterday? Too bad because it was phenomenal. Love the mother/daughter dynamics. It’s adorable seeing Snow being so protective of Emma, especially when they’re about the same age. But can we talk about The Good Wife? That husband needs to go. He’s creepy and is not bringing anything to the table. We are left wondering why Kalinda cent get rid of him. Just leave her with her girlfriend and send him back to wherever he came from.

13. Joy says:

The Mentalist has been great this season. Devil’s Cherry was such a good episode. As for the new time slot. If it came in on time it would be OK but I find myself setting the DVR on 3 different TV channels in an effort not to lose any part of it. I now figure the best way to get it all is to turn to one of the channels that has it, just leave it there and wait for The Mentalist intro. Then I both watch and DVR it. I was very happy as a deaf person to see iTunes now have it with CC.

14. Natalie says:

Yes! For the uptick on “The Mentalist” numbers. It was a good episode last night too and it started on time in my area. At first I thought it would be filler, but then the TV Guide blurb mentioned something about Lisbon being drawn in deeper into the FBI/CBI rivalry and I knew there would be more than simple case-of-the-week going’s on. Turns out there were not only interesting turns of events last night, but it was a good and funny episode. Jane and Lisbon seriously just rock together. The couch scene was excellent, when she woke him, the Chigsby wasn’t as cool as the past two, but we got some nice Van Pelt stuff so I’m a happy camper. The show is just so good so far this year. And more great stuff to come! Still need to catch up on this week’s and last week’s OUAT and TGW.
    Thanks for the ratings new, Matt. :)

15. Joy says:

I made 2 posts here and don’t see either of them. So this time I’ll simply say I’m loving The Mentalist this season. BTW, there was nothing objectionable in my previous posts. Guess the dodo bird took them.

16. Joy says:

I don’t get it. My posts are there now.

17. ATB says:

ABC has yet to find a show that gets high ratings in the Sunday 10 pm slot since they cancelled Brothers & Sisters. It never had below 5 million in its final season. Pan Am, GCB, and now 666 Park Avenue have all earned about the same ratings in that timeslot. I realize I’m generalizing and that ratings have gone up and down for all of the shows I listed, but seriously…I’ve watched all of them and really wish they’d just do these shows as miniseries instead of hoping for something more. Park Avenue will definitely be cancelled. I think it’s a great show and I am enjoying the creepy factor, but it feels more like a miniseries to me than an actual tv show. It reminds me of Rose Red. I’m guessing Mistresses will fill its timeslot in the new year.

18. Larc says:

I just can’t understand all the attraction to The Mentalist. Simon Baker’s Patrick Jane character comes off as little more than an obnoxious know-it-all jerk, IMO.

• RJ says:

Worked for House.

• Tara says:

He’s boring too. i’d hate to be sitting next to him at a dinner party.

• Dean says:

He doesn’t know it all. He just pays attention and observes things other don’t. Obnoxious? You haven’t been observing the subtleties in his character, have you! If he gets close to anyone then Red John will hurt him by playing and killing his loved ones. He’s fun, yet tortured and all said, a pretty great character.

19. Sg.Grant says:

ABC should move Last Resort to the Sunday night slot that 666 Park Avenue is currently occupying.

20. I am hoping Scandal moves to sundays after Revenge, I do see Scandal ratings rising if it moves to sunday night.

• Emily says:

That would be a great lineup on Sunday! It would actually give me something to watch at 10pm as I really haven’t gotten into 666 Park Ave.

21. Jacqueline says:

Love “The Mentalist!” The whole cast draws me in every episode. And just as a side note, Simon Baker is so incredibly sexy that I will sit and watch a rerun just to watch him smile and move.

22. christy says:

I’m really concerened about the fate of the Mentalist. The football game is killing the show. It comes on late for a lot of people and it’s hard for them to stay up and watch the show. I really wish they wood try it on Friday night. It could not do any worse than it is right know. It’s a really good show and I hate to see it taken off because Foodball goes over 30 to 60 minutes.