Comic-Con

S.H.I.E.L.D. Casting News: Clark Gregg to Reprise His Avengers Role

Clark Gregg will appear in Joss Whedon‘s Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot for ABC, reprising his role as agent Phil Coulson, whom he has previously played on the big screen in the Iron Man movies, Thor and, most recently, Whedon’s The Avengers.

RELATED | S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon’s New ABC Pilot!

“Did you ever think there would be a S.H.I.E.L.D. show without Agent Phil Coulson?” Marvel Studios President Kevin Feig said in announcing the news Saturday at the New York Comic-Con. (Though the way The Avengers ended raises questions about how the Coulson character could figure into a TV series, Whedon has said the pilot will be “autonomous” from the film franchise.)

Gregg has also voiced Coulson for TV’s Ultimate Spider-Man and the Marvel One-Shot video shorts. His most recent regular on-camera TV role was opposite Julia Louis-Dreyfus on The New Adventures of Old Christine.

RELATED | ABC Orders S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot from Joss Whedon

Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., as it is now being listed, is being executive-produced by Joss Whedon, his brother Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb, and written by the Whedons and Tancharoen.

1. Bob Genghis Khan says:

But he deed?!

• gary says:

Life Model Decays…It something that Fury uses in the Comic Books

• Russ says:

It said he would appear in the pilot, not be regular. I’m thinking that he mentored one of the characters and they have a flashback or the series starts in past for a few scenes with him and then does a time jump to the present.

• I guess you didn’t read the part that says that the show is SEPARATE from the movies.

• Alan says:

its not separate from the movies, its in continuity with them. autonomous in this case just means that you dont need to have seen the movies to understand what is going on

• Dan says:

Can anybody can read in this place? Whedon has said the pilot will be “autonomous” from the film franchise. Not a prequel, not a sequel – AUTONOMOUS.

• Sara says:

But how can it be truly autonomous from the film franchise if Agent Coulson, played by Clark Gregg, is included? There must be some sort of a tie-in.

• Temperence says:

Since he DIED in the movie, clearly it’s not concurrent or after The Avengers. It implies that ‘autonomous’ means ‘like but separate’ or AU.

• Dragen says:

He later said:
        “It’s new characters. It needs to be its own thing. It needs to be adjacent [to The Avengers]… What does S.H.I.E.L.D. have that the other superheroes don’t? And that, to me, is that they’re not superheroes, but they live in that universe. Even though they’re a big organization, that [lack of powers] makes them underdogs, and that’s interesting to me.”

It’s in the MCU.

• A says:

Dead or died. not deed

2. Mark says:

Prequel, then?

3. Eric says:

Thank god.

4. Susan says:

Yay!! He’s a great actor and perfect in his role of S.H.E.I.L.D. agent.

5. Nicotine says:

I would love it if they let him play the role of Coulson similar to the role he plays in Ultimate Spiderman. I know it’s animated, but his role and Chi McBride as Nick Fury are the best parts of that show.

6. Ashley says:

Yay! I love me some Phil Coulson and am more than ready to take a gigantic leap in faith and logic if it means him continuing to be involved in the Avengers universe.

7. Erin says:

Yay! Loved him in all the movies and on New Christine.

8. Amanda says:

Awesome. Is it a prequel though or is he magically back from the dead? Either way I am good.

9. Old Man says:

Life Model Decoy?

10. Hector says:

Hello for a TV show!!! You guys don’t read don’t you! This has to be before he died in the movie!!!

11. Anna says:

YAY! If I’m being totally honest, I still don’t believe that they really did kill him in the movie… you never know! I think it was all part of Fury’s plan to “unite” the team (conspiracy theory? noooo!) BUT ANYWAY this is a great addition to the cast!

• Keren says:

Me too! I hope that he really didn’t die

• matthew says:

I agree with you. The second Furry said they killed him I was like he is totally telling them a lie to them and the when Hill said that the cards were in his locker and not on him and fury was like I know but they needed something to push them I was like see they didn’t kill him.

• Ace says:

YES. I am so glad I am not the only one desperately clinging to this theory! (As supporting evidence, I present the “but those cards were in his locker” convo between Fury and Maria Hill.)

12. Amy says:

They never showed his dead body in The Avengers movie, so how do we know he’s really dead? Fury needed motivation to bring the team together. Exhibit A – the bloody collector’s cards. So it is out of the realm of possibility that Agent Coulson survived but Fury kept that under wraps? If it’s possible, then the TV show doesn’t have to be a prequel just because Agent Coulson makes an appearance (though it might make better sense to do it as a prequel so as to not affect the continuity of the movie franchise).

13. I’m betting that Fury lied about him being dead just like he lied about the trading cards. No Life Model Decoy, it’ll be the real deal, whose death Fury faked to galvanize the heroes into becoming a team (i.e. into avenging him).

14. it is cool to see talk about LMDs on a board about TV shows. bring on the comic book geekness!

15. Amy says:

Son of Coul! This show just keeps on getting better and it hasn’t even started yet.

16. Keren says:

YAY!! Clark Gregg!!

17. adam says:

HELLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

18. JWB says:

This tv show sounds like a bad idea. The movies are entertaining but a tv version would dilute the franchise. I could be wrong but I doubt the show will make it to air. Most shows like this die rather quickly. (The Devil Wears Prada tv show, Mr and Mrs smith tv version, the list goes on.)

• Alan says:

this will be made, abc are desperate to have a show which they can say is connected to the third biggest grossing movie of all time. plus they arent going to be trying to replicate the movies with this show, shield is going to be front and centre not the heroes and that means that it will be about the spy side of the marvel universe, of which there is a considerable amount of source material for them to draw inspiration from

• irastev says:

@JWB Whedon has created a 7-season show and its 5-season spinoff based off a movie, so if anyone knows how to do it successfully, he does.

19. Dan says:

Anyone see Item 47? The short film on The Avengers DVD. Lizzy Caplan, Jesse Bradford and Titus Welliver would all be great choices to add to the cast considering they’re already apart of the S.H.I.E.L.D. world.

• Alan says:

anything that gets more lizzy caplan on my tv. i thought the short was very well done, much like the other 2, really they could have just made a slightly longer version to serve as the pilot of this show

• Rachel says:

I didn’t see that! But anything with Lizzy Caplan gets a thumbs-up from me.

• erik says:

wont’ happen.. Lizzy Caplan already said she won’t be a part of it, she has another show she’s doing.

20. Mike says:

Ok, if he’s in Cobie Smulders will hopefully reprise her role as Agent Hill, once HIMYM concludes so either late season 1 entry or starting on the inevitable season 2.

• Alan says:

well she is going to be in iron man 3 so clearly they have plans for the character

• Ace says:

I’m hoping HIMYM (finally) wraps up this year so Cobie can be on SHIELD. I loved her portrayal of Maria Hill in the movie, but I wished we could have seen more of that character. The TV show seems like the perfect opportunity for that.

21. Tony says:

Reading the Marvel TV panel reports, it sounds like Whedon and Feige announced that Clark is the first REGULAR cast in the series, not simply a guest or cameo role.

22. Rachel says:

Awesome. I can’t wait for this show! Now if they would start casting those roles they announced earlier… (and end HIMYM so Cobie Smulders is free!)

23. Erin says:

Now, I know that Joss Whedon is the king of the kill off… but come on, did we actually see Coulson’s dead body? From the get go, I’ve always thought that Nick Fury lied about the whole thing to unite the team. We never actually saw Coulson die… his eyes closed as the medics got there, and then it cuts to the bridge where they hear Fury say that Couslon was dead…

24. Audrey says:

Oh come one people, its obvious he doesn’t die in The Avengers. Fury lied, so the team could all unite; I’ve thought that since I watched the movie. And Clark Gregg is signed on for a bunch of Marvel movies. Anyways, still awesome news, I hope he’s gonna be a regular, and not just guest appearances here and there, also Cobie most definately needs to come on board too, as much as I love HIMYM, it’s near the end and will be most likely be done this season.

25. Andie says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER. I love Coulson!

26. Kristina says:

Yay! I liked him in the role.

27. Dean says:

I didn’t even realize he was such a big deal. When he apparently died in the movie, I was like ‘meh, don’t care’. He was no Wash to get riled up for.

• Ace says:

He’s sort of a cult favorite. Plus, he’s the thread that connects all of the individual superhero movies that led up to The Avengers. He’s a very big deal. If not a Wash-level character, than at least a Shepherd Book.

28. sobermuse says:

Well, since we didn’t actually see him die on Avengers, I’m still not convinced he’s dead. Or at least I’m hoping he’s not !

29. ABC? Really Whedon? When are you gonna learn?

• erik says:

well seeing as how Disney owns ABC, and Marvel it makes sense for it to be on ABC. The show stands a better chance on ABC then any of his other shows did on any other network.

30. tjj50 says:

Hooray!! Phil lives!!

31. James says:

I miss Courtney

32. star says:

there’s no reason some miracle of modern medicine (from the marvel uni) doesn’t save Coulson’s life. SHIELD can run along side of the movies, without much interaction between them. If it does run though the years before the Avengers I would love to see how Hawkeye and Black Widow are bought into the fold. I would love to see Captain America found and bought back from the ice. (I have not watched Captain America yet so if he is found at the end of that movie don’t spoil it for me) Anywho can’t wait to to see more of the series as info comes out.

33. regina says:

Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!

34. The way it works is this: You pour alcohol into a round glass
    and put that over another glass that has a lit candle in it.
    Though poorly conditioned people have lost some weight and gained some energy using a
    pedometer, this plan should still be considered as simply a
    launching ppad to higher planes of exercise, such as cardio classes, inline skating, marrtial arts, jogging, race-walking, hill-walking, hiking,
    cycling and use of cardio equipment. Total Mindfulness,
    in this case, means putting your mind into a state of awareness frtom the moment you get up
    until you are asleep.