Comic-Con

S.H.I.E.L.D. Casting News: Clark Gregg to Reprise His Avengers Role

Clark Gregg will appear in Joss Whedon‘s Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot for ABC, reprising his role as agent Phil Coulson, whom he has previously played on the big screen in the Iron Man movies, Thor and, most recently, Whedon’s The Avengers.

RELATED | S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon’s New ABC Pilot!

“Did you ever think there would be a S.H.I.E.L.D. show without Agent Phil Coulson?” Marvel Studios President Kevin Feig said in announcing the news Saturday at the New York Comic-Con. (Though the way The Avengers ended raises questions about how the Coulson character could figure into a TV series, Whedon has said the pilot will be “autonomous” from the film franchise.)

Gregg has also voiced Coulson for TV’s Ultimate Spider-Man and the Marvel One-Shot video shorts. His most recent regular on-camera TV role was opposite Julia Louis-Dreyfus on The New Adventures of Old Christine.

RELATED | ABC Orders S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot from Joss Whedon

Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., as it is now being listed, is being executive-produced by Joss Whedon, his brother Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb, and written by the Whedons and Tancharoen.

Comments (68)

• But he deed?!

Comment by Bob Genghis Khan – October 13, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Life Model Decays…It something that Fury uses in the Comic Books

Comment by gary – October 13, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It said he would appear in the pilot, not be regular. I’m thinking that he mentored one of the characters and they have a flashback or the series starts in past for a few scenes with him and then does a time jump to the present.

Comment by Russ – October 13, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whedon said he’s going to be headlining the show.

Comment by Erin – October 13, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess you didn’t read the part that says that the show is SEPARATE from the movies.

Comment by Orean Keels Jr. – October 13, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • its not separate from the movies, its in continuity with them. autonomous in this case just means that you dont need to have seen the movies to understand what is going on

Comment by Alan – October 13, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No in this case autonomous means a completely separate and different story line having nothing to do with the movie.

Comment by Seth – October 13, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think you’re reading in subtext that isn’t there.

Marvel has put a lot of work into creating their shared universe, they’re not just going to throw that aside.

Comment by onemovieeachday – October 14, 2012 04:02 AM PDT
    • Can anybody can read in this place? Whedon has said the pilot will be “autonomous” from the film franchise. Not a prequel, not a sequel – AUTONOMOUS.

Comment by Dan – October 13, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But how can it be truly autonomous from the film franchise if Agent Coulson, played by Clark Gregg, is included? There must be some sort of a tie-in.

Comment by Sara – October 14, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Since he DIED in the movie, clearly it’s not concurrent or after The Avengers. It implies that ‘autonomous’ means ‘like but separate’ or AU.

Comment by Temperence – October 15, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He later said:
        “It’s new characters. It needs to be its own thing. It needs to be adjacent [to The Avengers]… What does S.H.I.E.L.D. have that the other superheroes don’t? And that, to me, is that they’re not superheroes, but they live in that universe. Even though they’re a big organization, that [lack of powers] makes them underdogs, and that’s interesting to me.”

It’s in the MCU.

Comment by Dragen – October 20, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dead or died. not deed

Comment by A – October 14, 2012 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prequel, then?

Comment by Mark – October 13, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god.

Comment by Eric – October 13, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! He’s a great actor and perfect in his role of S.H.E.I.L.D. agent.

Comment by Susan – October 13, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coulson!!! You are avenged!

Comment by Jeremy Joseph (@JerandMe) – October 13, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if they let him play the role of Coulson similar to the role he plays in Ultimate Spiderman. I know it’s animated, but his role and Chi McBride as Nick Fury are the best parts of that show.

Comment by Nicotine – October 13, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I love me some Phil Coulson and am more than ready to take a gigantic leap in faith and logic if it means him continuing to be involved in the Avengers universe.

Comment by Ashley – October 13, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Loved him in all the movies and on New Christine.

Comment by Erin – October 13, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. Is it a prequel though or is he magically back from the dead? Either way I am good.

Comment by Amanda – October 13, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Life Model Decoy?

Comment by Old Man – October 13, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello for a TV show!!! You guys don’t read don’t you! This has to be before he died in the movie!!!

Comment by Hector – October 13, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F-yeah!

Comment by Gem – October 13, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! If I’m being totally honest, I still don’t believe that they really did kill him in the movie… you never know! I think it was all part of Fury’s plan to “unite” the team (conspiracy theory? noooo!) BUT ANYWAY this is a great addition to the cast!

Comment by Anna – October 13, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I hope that he really didn’t die

Comment by Keren – October 13, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. The second Furry said they killed him I was like he is totally telling them a lie to them and the when Hill said that the cards were in his locker and not on him and fury was like I know but they needed something to push them I was like see they didn’t kill him.

Comment by matthew – October 13, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus they never showed his dead body!

Comment by matthew – October 13, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES. I am so glad I am not the only one desperately clinging to this theory! (As supporting evidence, I present the “but those cards were in his locker” convo between Fury and Maria Hill.)

Comment by Ace – October 13, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay, so matthew said that already. Great minds think alike!

Comment by Ace – October 13, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They never showed his dead body in The Avengers movie, so how do we know he’s really dead? Fury needed motivation to bring the team together. Exhibit A – the bloody collector’s cards. So it is out of the realm of possibility that Agent Coulson survived but Fury kept that under wraps? If it’s possible, then the TV show doesn’t have to be a prequel just because Agent Coulson makes an appearance (though it might make better sense to do it as a prequel so as to not affect the continuity of the movie franchise).

Comment by Amy – October 13, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • * “is it” out of the realm (not “it is”) – that typo could be confusing. haha

Comment by Amy – October 13, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Life Model Decoy…Look it up

Comment by gary – October 13, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m betting that Fury lied about him being dead just like he lied about the trading cards. No Life Model Decoy, it’ll be the real deal, whose death Fury faked to galvanize the heroes into becoming a team (i.e. into avenging him).

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 13, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it is cool to see talk about LMDs on a board about TV shows. bring on the comic book geekness!

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 13, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Son of Coul! This show just keeps on getting better and it hasn’t even started yet.

Comment by Amy – October 13, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!! Clark Gregg!!

Comment by Keren – October 13, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment by adam – October 13, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This tv show sounds like a bad idea. The movies are entertaining but a tv version would dilute the franchise. I could be wrong but I doubt the show will make it to air. Most shows like this die rather quickly. (The Devil Wears Prada tv show, Mr and Mrs smith tv version, the list goes on.)

Comment by JWB – October 13, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this will be made, abc are desperate to have a show which they can say is connected to the third biggest grossing movie of all time. plus they arent going to be trying to replicate the movies with this show, shield is going to be front and centre not the heroes and that means that it will be about the spy side of the marvel universe, of which there is a considerable amount of source material for them to draw inspiration from

Comment by Alan – October 13, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @JWB Whedon has created a 7-season show and its 5-season spinoff based off a movie, so if anyone knows how to do it successfully, he does.

Comment by irastev – October 13, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone see Item 47? The short film on The Avengers DVD. Lizzy Caplan, Jesse Bradford and Titus Welliver would all be great choices to add to the cast considering they’re already apart of the S.H.I.E.L.D. world.

Comment by Dan – October 13, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • anything that gets more lizzy caplan on my tv. i thought the short was very well done, much like the other 2, really they could have just made a slightly longer version to serve as the pilot of this show

Comment by Alan – October 13, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t see that! But anything with Lizzy Caplan gets a thumbs-up from me.

Comment by Rachel – October 13, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wont’ happen.. Lizzy Caplan already said she won’t be a part of it, she has another show she’s doing.

Comment by erik – October 13, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, if he’s in Cobie Smulders will hopefully reprise her role as Agent Hill, once HIMYM concludes so either late season 1 entry or starting on the inevitable season 2.

Comment by Mike – October 13, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well she is going to be in iron man 3 so clearly they have plans for the character

Comment by Alan – October 13, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is, Now I have to see Iron Man 3… I can can’t worse than two can it?

Comment by Mike – October 13, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping HIMYM (finally) wraps up this year so Cobie can be on SHIELD. I loved her portrayal of Maria Hill in the movie, but I wished we could have seen more of that character. The TV show seems like the perfect opportunity for that.

Comment by Ace – October 13, 2012 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading the Marvel TV panel reports, it sounds like Whedon and Feige announced that Clark is the first REGULAR cast in the series, not simply a guest or cameo role.

Comment by Tony – October 13, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. I can’t wait for this show! Now if they would start casting those roles they announced earlier… (and end HIMYM so Cobie Smulders is free!)

Comment by Rachel – October 13, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No let HIMYM end when it’s time,don’t rush the ending CBS.

Comment by Mike – October 13, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The natural death moment passed 2 seasons ago. Now they’re just flogging a dead horse.

Comment by D – October 13, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s long past time. Ted is pretty much going to have to impregnate The Mother immediately upon meeting her in order for the timeline to work, at this point. I like the show, but it’s time for it to end.

Comment by Ace – October 13, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, I know that Joss Whedon is the king of the kill off… but come on, did we actually see Coulson’s dead body? From the get go, I’ve always thought that Nick Fury lied about the whole thing to unite the team. We never actually saw Coulson die… his eyes closed as the medics got there, and then it cuts to the bridge where they hear Fury say that Couslon was dead…

Comment by Erin – October 13, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come one people, its obvious he doesn’t die in The Avengers. Fury lied, so the team could all unite; I’ve thought that since I watched the movie. And Clark Gregg is signed on for a bunch of Marvel movies. Anyways, still awesome news, I hope he’s gonna be a regular, and not just guest appearances here and there, also Cobie most definately needs to come on board too, as much as I love HIMYM, it’s near the end and will be most likely be done this season.

Comment by Audrey – October 13, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. NEWS. EVER. I love Coulson!

Comment by Andie – October 13, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I liked him in the role.

Comment by Kristina – October 13, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t even realize he was such a big deal. When he apparently died in the movie, I was like ‘meh, don’t care’. He was no Wash to get riled up for.

Comment by Dean – October 13, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s sort of a cult favorite. Plus, he’s the thread that connects all of the individual superhero movies that led up to The Avengers. He’s a very big deal. If not a Wash-level character, than at least a Shepherd Book.

Comment by Ace – October 13, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, since we didn’t actually see him die on Avengers, I’m still not convinced he’s dead. Or at least I’m hoping he’s not !

Comment by sobermuse – October 14, 2012 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC? Really Whedon? When are you gonna learn?

Comment by Michelle Mollomini – October 14, 2012 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well seeing as how Disney owns ABC, and Marvel it makes sense for it to be on ABC. The show stands a better chance on ABC then any of his other shows did on any other network.

Comment by erik – October 14, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray!! Phil lives!!

Comment by tjj50 – October 14, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Courtney

Comment by James – November 17, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there’s no reason some miracle of modern medicine (from the marvel uni) doesn’t save Coulson’s life. SHIELD can run along side of the movies, without much interaction between them. If it does run though the years before the Avengers I would love to see how Hawkeye and Black Widow are bought into the fold. I would love to see Captain America found and bought back from the ice. (I have not watched Captain America yet so if he is found at the end of that movie don’t spoil it for me) Anywho can’t wait to to see more of the series as info comes out.

Comment by star – December 3, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!

Comment by regina – January 26, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post