Ratings: Vampire Diaries Returns Up, Ties Last Resort; Beauty and Beast Matches Secret Circle

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

The Vampire Diaries was looking lively on Thursday night, kicking off Season 4 with 3.5 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating — up some 15 percent from its previous opener and tying ABC’s freshman drama Last Resort in the demo.

Leading out of that — and facing the vice presidential debate broadcast by the Big 4 — The CW’s Beauty and the Beast debuted to 3.16 mil and a 1.3, up a few viewers from The Secret Circle‘s own launch in the time slot last fall and matching its demo rating.

RELATED | Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Premiere Cliffhanger, Klaus’ New Role and More

Versus Secret Circle‘s May finale, Beauty was up more than 200 percent, and it was off just a tenth in the demo from Nikita‘s 2010 debut in the Thursdays-at-9 spot.

Elsewhere this debate-impacted Thursday night:

* The aforementioned Last Resort (7 mil/1.6) slipped another 13 and 16 percent week-to-week.

* The Big Bang Theory (13.8 mil/4.2) was down 14 percent in the demo, while Two and a Half Men (11.2 mil/3.4) dipped two tenths.

* NBC’s 30 Rock (3.82 mil/1.4) gained some viewers while holding steady in the demo; Up All Night (3.5 mil/1.2) was up in audience but down two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Mansions of Constant Sorrow

* The X Factor (8.3 mil/2.9) dipped 9 percent week-to-week.

What were you tuned into this Thursday night?

Comments (38)

• Hey, Matt! Were there any NFL preemptions last night and, if so, what might their impact be? Thanks for the numbers!

Comment by Clara – October 12, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, there was an NFL preemption that affected 3.5% of the country. Final numbers, as always, may vary.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 12, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can tell you 100% here in Pittsburgh we did not get TVD until the wee hours of the morning because of football. I didn’t stay up to watch and caught it this morning on Hulu. I think the viewing area that was affected was most of Western PA, parts of OH and WVa. Not sure about other football markets. They didn’t even tell us it was going to be switched out until it was happening.

Comment by Ava – October 12, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CW numbers will be adjusted down in the finals. Expect BatB to be at a 1.0 give or take. The show is not long for this world. It was pretty bad!

Comment by iMember – October 12, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I bet a lot of girls still liked it! It wasn’t horrible, though yes it wasn’t great. BUT it does have potential which can easily be fixed. Some pilots that aren’t great do turn into good shows. And it does have an interesting enough romantic, urban fantasy appeal to attract loyal viewers. I would never underestimate this type of show in relation to a female cult following.

Comment by AT – October 12, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I would say it pairs nicely enough with TVD that young girls could be attracted to it even though the pilot wasn’t great. Kristin Kruek is amazing so I do want her show to be a success EVEN IF i won’t be watching it. It should also be remembered that Beauty and the Beast was the only scripted series available during the 9pm hour which could have bloated its ratings considering there was no competition from Glee or Grey’s Anatomy that would likely steal away the young girl demo.

Comment by dude – October 12, 2012 09:44 AM PDT
      • I too live in Pittsburgh. I was up until like 2 a.m. to watch TVD. Worth it, but good Lord.

Comment by Lola – October 12, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW affiliate in Pittsburgh was showing the Steelers vs. Titans NFL game last night. Pittsburgh is a HUGE football town, so expect those CW numbers to be adjusted down somewhat when the final ratings come out this afternoon.

Comment by JC – October 12, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed both shows

Comment by cassie – October 12, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be interesting to see if BATB can keep the momentum up in the following weeks or match TVD’s audience. Loved TVD last night but I can’t say the BATB pilot was interesting enough or had anything special that would make me watch it week after week. I can get my fill of detective type procedurals from Elementary.

Comment by Sarah – October 12, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One positive thing about BATB; as derivative as it was, it was far better than the stupid Elementary.

Comment by D – October 12, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Elementary may have been stupid but it’s leaps and bounds more intelligent story than BATB was. To add to that, BATB destroyed the heart of the concept – her loving Vince despite his appearance, in this case a gorgeous man with a ‘scar’ on his face. They should rename the show to Beauty and the Beauty.

Comment by Sarah – October 12, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ‘Intelligent’! I think your IQ and common sense are very low if you think there’s anything remotely close to that term on Elementary. Who cares what they did to the Beast! I don’t. I just watched for the gorgeous Kristin Kreuk and thought it would be horrible, but it was better than expected. Still, won’t be watching the show.

Comment by D – October 12, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You really shouldn’t be commenting on my IQ. I don’t watch a TV show for an actress who’s sub par at best. She may look beautiful but that can carry a show only so far. Considering Elementary had around 11 million viewers compared to 3 mil for BATB, I doubt many people agree with your view. Please carry your Kristin worship elsewhere

Comment by Sarah – October 12, 2012 12:22 PM PDT
          • Of course not. You obviously watch for the guy, Miller. Other than him and Lucy, there is nothing worthwhile on the show.

Comment by D – October 13, 2012 03:53 AM PDT
  • Beauty and the Beast might’ve been a better show if they didn’t turn it into a cop show. There are tons of those already on. The cop/sci-fi angle is being covered has been covered so many times. Please something new……

Comment by Hojana – October 12, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the 1980s series was a procedural so it would have been nice for them to keep atleast some aspect of the source material in tact. I think what made the pilot so weak was that the focus wasn’t enough on the cop aspect. The crime was such an after-thought. It was like they felt like they had to drop it in but didn’t care enough to make it interesting.

Comment by dude – October 12, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the only thing they took from the 80′s series were the character name other then that they pooped all over it. he’s baiscly a pretty boy werewolf/hulk

Comment by Dennis – October 12, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She shoulda been a Vet,that would have been ironic XD

Comment by Shaun – October 12, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Our local CW affiliate in eastern Nebraska was airing a high school football game of all things, so TVD didn’t start until 9:30 (as opposed to 7pm).

Comment by Marissa – October 12, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t celebrate the numbers for TVD just yet. The Steeler-Titans game was aired on the CW affiliate in Pittsburgh. The game scored approximately a 30 share in the local market. Given that Pitts is 1% of US TV market, the CW numbers will adjust down by 3 to 4 tenths of a ratings point in the finals….

Also the Fox affiliate in Nashville carried the game as well, so the XF should also be adjusted down.

Comment by Eridapo – October 12, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate how Last Resort is lagging in the ratings. It’s such a great show being marred by a horrible timeslot

Comment by Mila – October 12, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually,the timeslot isn’t too bad.Their only main competition is Big Bang and Xfactor.

Comment by Shaun – October 12, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, only two gigantic smash hit cash cow ratings bonanzas as competition. No big deal. Still, wouldn’t hurt if a show this big had better support on a less competitive night. They should have just stuck all the Shonda Rimes shows together and put Last Resort on Tuesdays at 10. Probably won’t beat CBS’ Vegas, but easily beat out Parenthood on NBC.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 12, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad news about Last Resort. I’m loving the show, I hope it can bounce back.

Comment by Melody Paris – October 12, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m dvring the last resort but I’m not watching it because I don’t want to get involved in something if I gets cancelled I hope it doesn’t because what I saw of it it’s great

Comment by Joe – October 12, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m the exact same – it sounds terrible, but I just know that it will axed before the end of November! It had an interesting premise and I liked the cast, but just couldn’t make myself watch it after seeing its ratings slide!!!

Comment by dsm – October 12, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See, this is why I never started watching Last Resort. Once it got the 8 pm Thursday time slot, I knew it was a goner. That’s sad :( from what I hear its a good show. It just didn’t get a fair shake, I gess.

Comment by Rrrrrr – October 12, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lost 30 Rock and Up All Night to the wee hours of the morning because the local nbc news station decided to run a special at 8 before the debate. Hulu, here I come.

Comment by Leah – October 12, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it, but the pilot was just ok and I’m not sure people will stick around.

Comment by Kristina – October 12, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sigh. Worried about Last Resort.

Comment by cindy – October 12, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Last Resort.

Comment by Kelly – October 12, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for TVD!!
    But dammit, if Last Resort matched TVD, then there isn’t much hope is there! Its one of the best new dramas people! Watch it!
    Watched Beauty and the Beast thinking that it’d suck and might make a great drinking game. Well it was pretty bad, but kinda alright if you stop thinking about the flaws. One thing I can give to the show; Kristin (or if you prefer the guy) is still hot. And Kristin kicks ass! Ok, that’s two things!

Comment by Dean – October 12, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY TVD!
    So happy!

Comment by sarah – October 12, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much for huge adjustments down in the finals! B&TB fell a tenth to a 1.2 rating and TVD wasn’t even adjusted so remained at a 1.6!

Comment by crimtv – October 12, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Critics hated BATB while fans seem to really like it. Its a good show

Comment by cassie – October 13, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW should take Nikita off Friday and put it back on Thursday.

Comment by Mikael – October 15, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man they should have kept the secret circle if this is the crap they’re replacing it with. Makes me kind of angry that instead of giving a show that was actually getting better a chance they just killed it and rehashed a pretty crappy 80′s show into a crappier one with less interesting actors.

Comment by saira – October 15, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post