Report: NBC Axes Dane Cook Comedy Next Caller

NBC’s Next Caller is now nothing but dead air.

The Dane Cook-led sitcom, which was slated to premiere at midseason, is no longer part of the network’s lineup, according to our sister site Deadline.

The single-camera comedy from Weeds‘ Stephen Falk follows Stella (Cougar Town‘s Collette Wolfe), whose dream job at a satellite radio station is marred by the fact that her co-host (Cook) is a chauvinistic jerk.

RELATED | NBC Scoop: Dane Cook Comedy Next Caller Drops Cast Member

Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) was to play their boss, with Ryan Devlin (Brothers & Sisters) guest-starring as Cook’s nemesis.

Though the show shot four episodes of its six-episode order, NBC will not air them; the sitcom reportedly wasn’t moving in the direction the network desired.

The cancellation follows the network’s announcement that its Munsters reboot, Mockingbird Lane, will air as a Halloween special instead of a series.

1. TV Gord says:

I review shows, so I had access to their media website this summer and I watched the pilot there until it froze about halfway through. I went back a week or so after, and it was gone from the lineup. I figured that was the end of that,

2. Symce says:

And here I thought getting canned after just 2 episodes was bad (hello Made in Jersey) but I guess getting canned after NOT airing a Single episode takes the cake.

• MelindaB says:

There was a Scott Baio show on Fox (I think) several years ago that also was canceled before it aired a single episode. If I’m remembering correctly, and there’s no reason to think that I am, it was weeks away from air before it got the axe.

3. Yeah, from just the limited information it didn’t sound like a winner. Probably for the best.

4. Ram510 says:

Well this sucks cause I was ready to see Dane Cook on broadcast, however if this keeps Guys With Kids on the air I’ll take it

• Scott Brecht says:

I think we have the exact opposite taste in TV shows.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Guys With Kids is just awful as well. It never ceases to amaze me that low rated, and just plain bad shows, have people o these sites begging for them to stay on the air. I guess they never consider the fact that removing the garbage that pulls 1.2’s in the ratings might make way for a show that is actually funny.

5. Jon says:

I guess NBC found success with most of it’s fall lineup this year (SHOCK) so they don’t have as much room as they thought they’d have

6. Not that I was looking forward to this at all, but what’s up with NBC with the iron fist? Why do they want a show to be a certain way instead of how the creative people want it? Too much network interference is how Pucks! became a show.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

Dangit, I just lost a bet! I said the Anne Heche show would be the first one to go. While I am not a Dane Cook fan at all, I thought there would always be an audience for anything he had going. Any new series that gets canceled and helps get Community one step closer to coming back on the air though is fine by me!

8. adam says:

its a shame i was excited to see dane cook aswell but i think they will make changes and air it next fall as this is both the office and 30 rocks final seasons

9. luke says:

Great job NBC. Now bring back Journeyman dang it!!!

10. Teag says:

Agreed with poster above. Cancel anything but Revolution to get Community back for a full fourth and fifth season.

11. Michelle Kufs says:

Zero people are surprised by this.

12. LC says:

So what time’s Community on then?

13. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

There is a God

14. YowzaPowza says:

Good, it was literally the WORST pilot of the new season.

15. Dean says:

Christmas came early this year! I don’t get why people think Dane Cook is any good.

16. Tj says:

Please someone explain to me what the point iof even making this a mid season show then?? So, that must mean that all of there other pilots were complete crap? Or just more expensive? Just yikes.

17. Jared says:

NBC doesn’t have much luck with there 6 episode mid season comedies (BFF/BENT). For everyones sake its better they can it now if it’s not good.

18. big cheddar says:

Dang – they should’ve just kept Bent or Best Friends Forever. Both shows were hilarious, but didn’t get a fair shot at success.

• Eric says:

I have to agree with you on Bent. That was a great show.

I didn’t watch BFF long enough to comment on that particular show, however.