Report: NBC Axes Dane Cook Comedy Next Caller

Get More: News

NBC’s Next Caller is now nothing but dead air.

The Dane Cook-led sitcom, which was slated to premiere at midseason, is no longer part of the network’s lineup, according to our sister site Deadline.

The single-camera comedy from Weeds‘ Stephen Falk follows Stella (Cougar Town‘s Collette Wolfe), whose dream job at a satellite radio station is marred by the fact that her co-host (Cook) is a chauvinistic jerk.

RELATED | NBC Scoop: Dane Cook Comedy Next Caller Drops Cast Member

Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) was to play their boss, with Ryan Devlin (Brothers & Sisters) guest-starring as Cook’s nemesis.

Though the show shot four episodes of its six-episode order, NBC will not air them; the sitcom reportedly wasn’t moving in the direction the network desired.

The cancellation follows the network’s announcement that its Munsters reboot, Mockingbird Lane, will air as a Halloween special instead of a series.

Comments (39)

• I review shows, so I had access to their media website this summer and I watched the pilot there until it froze about halfway through. I went back a week or so after, and it was gone from the lineup. I figured that was the end of that,

Comment by TV Gord – October 12, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought getting canned after just 2 episodes was bad (hello Made in Jersey) but I guess getting canned after NOT airing a Single episode takes the cake.

Comment by Symce – October 12, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a Scott Baio show on Fox (I think) several years ago that also was canceled before it aired a single episode. If I’m remembering correctly, and there’s no reason to think that I am, it was weeks away from air before it got the axe.

Comment by MelindaB – October 12, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, from just the limited information it didn’t sound like a winner. Probably for the best.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – October 12, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sucks cause I was ready to see Dane Cook on broadcast, however if this keeps Guys With Kids on the air I’ll take it

Comment by Ram510 – October 12, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think we have the exact opposite taste in TV shows.

Comment by Scott Brecht – October 12, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guys With Kids is just awful as well. It never ceases to amaze me that low rated, and just plain bad shows, have people o these sites begging for them to stay on the air. I guess they never consider the fact that removing the garbage that pulls 1.2′s in the ratings might make way for a show that is actually funny.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 12, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess NBC found success with most of it’s fall lineup this year (SHOCK) so they don’t have as much room as they thought they’d have

Comment by Jon – October 12, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not that I was looking forward to this at all, but what’s up with NBC with the iron fist? Why do they want a show to be a certain way instead of how the creative people want it? Too much network interference is how Pucks! became a show.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 12, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! I love the subtle Episodes joke there. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 12, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not really a “subtle” reference considering he/she pretty much described the entire plot of Episodes. But yeah, still funny.

Comment by liddad – October 13, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because occasionally NBC is smart, and this time they realized we really don’t need yet another chauvinistic comedy.

Comment by Jk – October 12, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oe anything starring Dane Cook.

Comment by whatevs – October 13, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dangit, I just lost a bet! I said the Anne Heche show would be the first one to go. While I am not a Dane Cook fan at all, I thought there would always be an audience for anything he had going. Any new series that gets canceled and helps get Community one step closer to coming back on the air though is fine by me!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 12, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Made in Jersey was the first to go.

Comment by Elyse – October 13, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its a shame i was excited to see dane cook aswell but i think they will make changes and air it next fall as this is both the office and 30 rocks final seasons

Comment by adam – October 12, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job NBC. Now bring back Journeyman dang it!!!

Comment by luke – October 12, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Awake!

Comment by jan – October 12, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And Life!

Comment by IraiaG – October 13, 2012 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sooooooooo with you on that choice, totally loved Life!

Comment by Tj – October 13, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Damian Lewis from “Life” is doing very well on “Homeland.”

Comment by xevo – October 13, 2012 08:18 AM PDT
    • The guy from Journeyman is on Grey’s Anatomy now. But I agree, bring back Journeyman and Awake!

Comment by Dean – October 13, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed with poster above. Cancel anything but Revolution to get Community back for a full fourth and fifth season.

Comment by Teag – October 12, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cancel anything, but Revolution AND Go On to get more Community! Then we’re good.

Comment by Dean – October 13, 2012 01:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No big loss.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli – October 12, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zero people are surprised by this.

Comment by Michelle Kufs – October 12, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe you are correct, Ma’am.

Comment by CJ – October 13, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what time’s Community on then?

Comment by LC – October 12, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a God

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – October 12, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, it was literally the WORST pilot of the new season.

Comment by YowzaPowza – October 12, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christmas came early this year! I don’t get why people think Dane Cook is any good.

Comment by Dean – October 13, 2012 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only positive thing I’ll say is that he’s easier on the eyes than Dax Sheppard.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli – October 13, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to say I really warmed up to Dax after his role on Parenthood. I hated him before

Comment by Sara – October 13, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t be so shallow. Who cares what they look like. If looks are a determining factor when judging comedic/acting talents, than we all are doomed. People who are easier on the eyes, usually are more difficult on the brains.

Comment by Cast of Seinfeld – October 13, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please someone explain to me what the point iof even making this a mid season show then?? So, that must mean that all of there other pilots were complete crap? Or just more expensive? Just yikes.

Comment by Tj – October 13, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC doesn’t have much luck with there 6 episode mid season comedies (BFF/BENT). For everyones sake its better they can it now if it’s not good.

Comment by Jared – October 13, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang – they should’ve just kept Bent or Best Friends Forever. Both shows were hilarious, but didn’t get a fair shot at success.

Comment by big cheddar – October 13, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you on Bent. That was a great show.

I didn’t watch BFF long enough to comment on that particular show, however.

Comment by Eric – October 13, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post