Meet the Munsters! We've Scared Up the First Photos from Mockingbird Lane

They’re creepy and they’re kooky…. Oops, wrong family.

Well, since The Munsters‘ theme has no lyrics from which to craft a clever lede, we’ll keep it simple: NBC has released the first photos from Mockingbird Lane, Bryan Fuller’s reboot of that ’60s show about a spooktacular clan comprised of Frankenstein’s monster, Dracula’s daughter, a vampire, a wee werewolf and their pretty, oddball cousin.

RELATED | NBC to Air Bryan Fuller’s Mockingbird Lane Pilot as Halloween Special

It was announced earlier this week that the pilot for the fanciful series will air as part of a spate of Halloween-themed programming on Friday, Oct. 26 — if not feed into an actual series run.

Directed by Bryan Singer, Mockingbird Lane stars Jerry O’Connell (Crossing Jordan) as Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) as his wife Lily — who in one photo gives new meaning to “bandage dress” — Eddie Izzard (The Riches) as Grandpa, Mason Cook (Spy Kids 4D) as Eddie and Charity Wakefield as Marilyn. You can also watch the first TV promo here.

1. I dont get why NBC did not want to pick up this show, it looks good from just the pictures.

• D'Arcy says:

You probably won’t get why until you’ve seen it, like NBC has… How could you expect to judge a television show by 10 pictures?

• NBC gives the OK to a lot of bad shows. I’d judge it by a few things. The pics give me a better sense of the creepy factor. No Herman doesn’t look like Frankenstein’s Monster but the neck stitches makes him look creepy. The Munster’s come with a built in fan base. People will tune in for that alone. This is why we have so many sequels, prequels, reboots, reimaginings, comic book movies. Finally Bryan Fuller’s past work. He’s done TV I like. He’s done cable and network TV. I’ll grant you that it wasn’t 8 seasons of a series but stuff I liked.

• Eli says:

You mean like Charlie’s Angels came with a built in fan base?

This is probably gonna be another epic fail, but let’s wait til we see the pilot ourselves.

• Yep, you’re right on that. Worked as a TV series then as a couple of movies then a total failure of a series. There is also the issue of 10 million already spent. They might as well burn off the pilot on Halloween. It gives you 2 scenarios, 1 where it’s an audience draw and they might look at it again. Another where it is bad and they just earned some bucks in ads and start over.

• Temperence says:

The problem with Charlie’s Angels was that it was half-miscast, and the writing missed a tone and style that anyone was interested in in today’s market. It’s still a very viable concept for updating, but that particular try was not a good one.

2. John says:

The project It’s already wrapped or we may have more episodes?

3. Ava says:

Portia De Rossi looks nothing like herself in these pictures!

• Tom Charles says:

I thought the same thing, but it’s her talent that truly matters. Sorta sucks Herman’s not grey/green, but I get it would suck going through makeup every day for that, so I’ll forgive them. I’d say it looks overall what you’d expect, will hold final judgement till its seen. I like the Munsters, I like Bryan Fuller, I like Portia, I’m told I should like Eddie Izzard, so hopefully that means I’ll enjoy it even if it is only the one episode we get to see

4. Reddog says:

So, is Eddie Izzard’s character being called “Grandpa” or “D”?

5. Templar says:

I’ll watch it just on the strength of Eddie Izzard.

6. Adam Benson says:

Herman Munster looks nothing like a monster, very disappointed in this. In the original show, Marilyn was seen as the strange one in the family cause she looked like a normal person but now they kinda all look normal except Eddie Izzard’s Grandpa.

• Temperence says:

He’s going to be rotting and needing ‘parts’ replacement as they go along, so don’t mistake not being green for being ‘normal’.

7. Sarah says:

Don’t ruin a classic show I’m a big fan of I love Lucy but I pray they never do a remake like this from the photos it looks like they took out all that made them such an odd family and that’s how they looked, he still has stitch marks on his neck but it can be passed off as just another weird tattoo someone out there probably does

8. murley says:

Eddie Izzard looks awesome! Can’t wait for this.

9. Rusty says:

This is going to bomb so bad IMO. One would think that by now, all this re-imagining of old great shows doesn’t work, The casting of the roles was made by someone on drugs and who also doesn’t understand the word ‘talent’ as a precursor to hiring actors.

10. Jon says:

I don’t understand why no one’s talking about how Portia and Jerry already starred together in Scream 2?

11. Wow, Charity Wakefield looks so different blond, She’s a really good actress though.

I think it might be one of those series that it’s so bad it’s kind of good.

12. BlindPilot says:

I saw a screener of the pilot during a focus group session. It wasn’t bad. The writing wasn’t as strong as the visuals. Grandpa and Lily were amazing. It might be worth watching just for Izzard. In the focus group, people were all upset by the gore. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to retool because all the focus groups were comprised of self-righteous know-it-alls. The show is at least worth giving it a chance.

13. Ethel says:

Portia looks good, rest are lacking a lot of the original characters. I agree with poster who said in original Marilyn was the odd one as she looked normal, now they all do This wrong, just wrong

14. heather says:

No lurch?

15. heather says:

Forgive me that was Adams family

16. Jennifer says:

I was excited to hear about this reboot since I was a huge fan of Pushing Daisies. Seeing these images make me want to watch it that much more. I love Eddie Izzard and like his creepy take on Grandpa Munster. Looking forward to the Halloween showing and have fingers crossed that it gets a chance to be a series.

17. Mad Hobbit says:

lot of remakes today seem to tone down a lot of the actors makeup, new Vincent has almost no makeup,now Herman.The only real problem is actor chemistry . there is some or not. and it does not matter how great of a actor you are.

18. Nicole says:

I dont know why people are complaining about Herman not being big and green. If he is to be made of individual body parts, wouldn’t he look more like a regular human anyway? Just with varying shades of gray, not green? Real dead bodies aren’t green…

19. Pearl says:

I guess it’ll work just for the Guilty Pleasure Factor. I’ll tune in just for fun!

20. Brett Heitkam says:

It looks like it will be interesting if nothing else. I don’t know why someone WOULDN’T watch this. It’s almost one of those things that you might as well check out, just for the curiosity factor. Even if it’s not great, it is sure to be entertaining in one way or another. I can’t say I “get” it, looking at the pictures… the lack of Munsters-esque make-up is quite off-putting … but making it an hour-long “drama” I understand many adjustments would have to be made to the broad, slapstick comedy format of the original. All in all, if you are going to watch Grimm, you might as well watch this too!

21. Isaac says:

Looks campy, fun, creepy, and weird. I’ll be watching it. It does kinda seem like something more up ABC’s alley. Maybe if NBC doesn’t want it, they can re-pitch?

22. ddutchie88 says:

eddie izzard and portia derossi.. must watch!

23. Greg says:

Looks kinda stale to me. U can’t have The Munsters without a proper Herman. Personally I think Brad Garrett woulda been awesome in that role. Fred Gwynn is probably spinning in his huge grave right now.