What to Watch Thursday: Vampire Diaries Is Back, Beauty and the Beast Begins, VP Debate and More

On TV this Thursday: The Vampire Diaries sucks more than ever with Elena now banging fangs, Beauty and the Beast gets off to a hairy start, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia returns with a (Nazi) treasure hunt and the vice presidential candidates face off. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (linked within), here are 10 programs to look for tonight.

VIDEO | Last Resort First Look: COB Is Free — But Can He Be Trusted?

PREVIEW | Exclusive 30 Rock First Look: Bryan Cranston and Catherine O’Hara Come to Town!

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | Season 4 premiere: Elena wakes up the morning after the accident to find her biggest fear coming true: She’s become a vampire. The issue at hand, as Damon so succinctly puts it: “You feed, or you die.” (Get a peek at tonight’s episode, then check out what’s coming up this season.)

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | When Sheldon hires a new, female assistant (Bent‘s Margo Harshman), Amy feels threatened. Meanwhile, Wolowitz is having a rough time in space. (Did they run out of ice cream? ‘Cause that would bum me out, too.)

8:30 pm Up All Night (NBC) | Chris and an old, annoying friend (Childrens Hospital‘s Rob Huebel) engage in a passive-aggressive war. (Watch a video sneak peek!)

VIDEO | Beauty and the Beast‘s Kristen Kreuk and Jay Ryan Promise a New Kind of Superman

9 pm Beauty and the Beast (The CW) | Series premiere: Smallville‘s Kristin Kreuk plays Cat, who as a child witnessed the murder of her mother but was saved by a mysterious stranger. Years later, Cat becomes a police detective who reconnects with said stranger. His name is Vincent (Terra Nova‘s Jay Ryan), he’s a presumed-dead military doctor and he has a secret: When he gets angry, he turns into a real beast.

9 pm Vice Presidential Debate (All major networks) | Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan discuss foreign and domestic policy in a two-hour debate. The event will be broadcast live from Centre College in Danville, Ky. and moderated by ABC News’ Martha Raddatz.

9 pm Project Runway (Lifetime) | This season’s penultimate episode has the designers presenting three looks to the judges in order to win one of three spots to show at Lincoln Center.

RELATED | Save the Dates: 65 October Premieres, Finales and Specials!

10 pm It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) | Season 8 premiere: Dennis and Dee’s grandfather Pop-Pop isn’t doing so well, and they have to decide whether or not to pull the plug on the onetime Nazi. Mac, Charlie and Frank, meanwhile, go on a search for Pop-Pop’s war spoils.

10:30 pm The League (FX) | Season 4 premiere: Taco’s business dealings with Jerry Jones land the guys an invite to the Dallas Cowboys’ Training Camp.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 47 Shows!

11 pm Brand X With Russell Brand (FX) | Fall premiere: The Brit comedian’s late-night talk show returns for the second half of its first season.

11:30 pm Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell (FX) | Fall premiere: Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave stops by.

1. Rebecca says:

I could not be more excited for Vampire Diaries!!!

2. iMember says:

Looking forward to The Vampire Diaries (praying this season isn’t as bad as Season 3). I’m going to check out Beauty and the Beast, but I’m hearing so many bad things about the Pilot all I can think about is how awful it is that the CW ended The Secret Circle for this show. Ugh! But also looking forward to Last Resort!!

• jayy008 says:

The CW didn’t end The Secret Circle for BATB. They ended it because of bad ratings and if it was renewed it would have gone to Friday anyway.

• iMember says:

Either way, it just sucks that a good show had to go, while a show that is already receiving pretty bad reception from critics takes that spot. It’s not going to succeed, that I already know, but still…Also, TSC only had bad ratings at the very end tail of its season, but for the rest of the season it was one of the CW’s stronger performing shows. Plus, this season the CW is doing AWFUL with how low, low, low the ratings are for its Monday shows and even Hart of Dixie.

• Dean says:

Secret Circle was stupid (only bright spot was Diana) and it had bad ratings since episode 12. It was as high as it was only because of The Vampire Diaries as lead-in. Monday shows are ending and they are trash anyway. Nobody want to see 90210 and GG (which is ending in 9 episodes! Hallelujah!) anymore. Arrow and Supernatural are awesome though! I’ll watch Beauty and the Beast just to see how horrible it can be. Might be a great show for drinking games.

• SAM says:

Funny – I stopped watching after the 3rd episode of “Secret Circle” because Diana was so annoying. ;-)

• iMember says:

I respectfully disagree about your opinion on The Secret Circle, but I totally agree with you on 9O21O and Gossip Girl (you can include Hart of Dixie here too). No one wants to watch those shows. Nikita, Arrow, Supernatural those shows are great.

• Dean says:

@Sam: Say it again and ‘I’ll kill you, your children and your grandchildren’! (Jk. She was that show’s Caroline! You can’t say anything negative about her)

• SAM says:

@Dean, Caroline didn’t make me roll my eyes like Diana did. I thought her acting was just painful. Maybe she improved as the season went on but out of all the definitely not-great performances on that show, she was the worst, at least in the first 3 episodes.

Guess it’s a good thing that I don’t have kids, huh? ;-)

• supernatural went to fridays and now it is on wednesdays. i thought the hart of dixie had worst rating than the secret circle?

3. HEATHER says:

Sad that Glee and Grey’s is not on… but at least Vampire Diaries and Beauty and the Beast make up for it!! :)

4. Balaji K says:

The Big bang Theory
    Last Resort
    It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

5. Amanda says:

Last resort and Tvd

6. mac says:

as long as TVD won’t shove Klaus down my thorat I’m pleased

7. Eric says:

Season 3 of the Vampire Diaries, was its best yet!!! Every episode could have been a season finale!! Thats how good the episodes were! Exactly what part of it was bad???
    Last Resort and Vampire Diaries!!!

• iMember says:

Season 3 of TVD was…

1. Highly predictable. What made Season 1 and especially Season 2 so good was the twists and turns the show took that you never saw coming and progressed the show to be even better. Season 3 things were just so predictable part of the fun in the show was lost.

2. Episodes seemed boring. This is subjective, but in my opinion, more episodes in Season 3 compared to 1 & 2 were not as entertaining. Some were a bit boring.

3. The Love Triangle is of course the core of the show, BUT, Season 3 practically shoved it down everyone’s throats it became unbearable. Again, the first two seasons handled the love triangle MUCH better.

4. KLAUS! Oh my gosh, I used to LOVE Klaus when he first came into the show, but like the love triangle, he was shoved down our throats way too much. On top of that, his character was completely ruined. Where he was once intimidating and unpredictable, he became like a child and to make it worse? A love sick, pining puppy. His affection for Caroline, as much as I LOVE her, is ridiculous and hurts his character terribly. I mean, he’s not even scary anymore.

5. Joseph Morgan is as always incredible, but Klaus should not have been promoted to a regular because it took away a lot of focus from our other character.

6. Kill Klaus! Kill Klaus! I mean, that was the whole point of Season 3 and you know what? It never happened. So basically this whole season felt like a massive filler.

7. The execution of The Originals was done poorly. It started off great, but fell off short. And killing Mikael was a mistake. He was built up so much early on and it was a total waste.

8. The list goes on, but this is some of the big points. Not all of Season 3 was horrible. The first 9 episodes of the season were great and the season finale was too (except, it was so predictable that Elena was going to turn. I saw that coming since the season premiere). The rest of the season was just bleh though.

Also, about Klaus, he’s totally pointless to the story and the show now because he has no purpose anymore. His story was run to the ground and the whole point of him being there is done since Elena is turning. Season 3 was a disappointing season and I’m hoping Season 4 turns the show around.

• Dean says:

I agree with most of your observations since I also complained about it a lot with my friends back then. But I still think season 3 was awesome, especially the first half of the season.
        – Kill Klaus already! I also loved him, but he has no purpose anymore! And I absolutely hate his possible romantic plotline with Caroline (who is the BEST)!!
        – Elena turning was just a desperate attempt to attract the Twilight fans more than anything since Bella also turned at the end in the last movie. I thought Elena shouldn’t have turned until season 5.
        – I think the show is at its best when it doesn’t do the love triangle with Elena-Damon-Stefan. But still, I like Delena.
        – Kol is just the worst Original possible. I agree, they started off great and then it was awful.
        – If they kill Katherine, I’ll be pissed! She’s the most awesome vampire on the show!
        Okay, all I see are me whining about a show I love. That’s not good, is it! I still love it. Its awesome. These are just a few nitpicks.

• iMember says:

Oh, I love the show too! Don’t get me wrong. But a true fan, like you and myself, knows that every show, even our favorites, are entitled to bad episodes and overall bad seasons. For me, Season 3 of TVD just wasn’t its finest. It definitely had its highlights, but the bad sides I think outweigh it.

• Bender says:

I like your reasoning, take dexter for instance seasons 5&6 were subpar to say the least, now its better. and the x files non mulder years were not great. but true fans stick with shows and dont say not watching anymore because they dont like it.

• Dean says:

Dexter’s season 4 and 5 are my most favorite of the entire series. Season 6 was awful though.

• Dean says:

@iMember: Your reasoning is perfect, but non-fans might misinterpret our comments.
            Stuck with the horrible first half in season 2 of Walking Dead and the payoff was awesome.

8. Dean says:

The Vampire Diaries!!
    Last Resort
    Beauty and the Beast (Might be a good one for drinking games and I like Kristin)
    Dammit, no Person of Interest tonight!

9. Jared says:

X Factor & Beauty & the Beast

10. Paris says:

DVR XFactor and Bing Bang Theory. Watching TVD and Beauty and The Beast.

11. Justin says:

Just Big Bang Theory for me tonight.

12. Brandy says:

VD,Beauty & Beast

13. Snice theres no Scandal this week I will be checking out Beauty & The Beast, I hope its such as great as Arrow was last night.

14. Dee says:

Last Resort – best new show this year
    The VP Debate – because I am an adult

15. murley says:

nothing! i’ll be at the a’s game- let’s go oakland! but i will defintely dvr vampire diaries and the vp debate. might check out beauty and the beast too, my curiosity outweighs the terrible reviews.

16. L says:

Big Bang Theory…
    then watch the VP debate if i can handle it lol. if not maybe ill check of beauty and the beast. if not, then something on demand lol.

17. ollie says:

all cw for me tonight

18. G says:

Big Bang Theory
    The Vampire Diaries
    Last Resort
    Then play catch up with the DVR and the 6 shows or so that I still need to watch from earlier in the week!

19. hello says:

I give VD one chance to convince me that Elena as a vampire is a good thing

20. Jo says:

Looks like I am in for a theme night. I’ll watch the nazi episode of Sunny in Philadelphia and then I’ll watch Joe Biden debate a nazi.

21. Thea says:

Hasn’t Elena been banging fangs since the first season? Now if you meant baring, that’s a different story… ;)

22. Cal says:

Last Resort
    VP Debate
    Sunny/League

23. Britta Unfiltered says:

Hurray for The League’s return!!! What a funny show. I’m a little intrigued by the episode description for Sunny. I always thought they needed to do a return to Pop Pop the Nazi. That original one where he was introduced was always one of my favorite episodes of the show. I hope they don’t forget Dee has that phobia to being around old people. Dangit, now I gotta go find that season one episode and rewatch it to get ready for tonight.

24. AT says:

It’s a pity that Beauty and the Beast has like no chance against the debate. I would’ve waited a week for the premiere.

25. nick1372 says:

Watch TBBT, DVR Last Resort.

26. bosslady says:

The show after all is called vampire diaries, so we shuld of expected elena wuld be changed somehow. The title of the show is broad so the storyline can go from one situation to the next. But I think her transition and the new adventures, will be interesting….btw, tho she chose stefan…Damon is hottt.