What to Watch Thursday: Vampire Diaries Is Back, Beauty and the Beast Begins, VP Debate and More

On TV this Thursday: The Vampire Diaries sucks more than ever with Elena now banging fangs, Beauty and the Beast gets off to a hairy start, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia returns with a (Nazi) treasure hunt and the vice presidential candidates face off. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (linked within), here are 10 programs to look for tonight.

VIDEO | Last Resort First Look: COB Is Free — But Can He Be Trusted?

PREVIEW | Exclusive 30 Rock First Look: Bryan Cranston and Catherine O’Hara Come to Town!

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | Season 4 premiere: Elena wakes up the morning after the accident to find her biggest fear coming true: She’s become a vampire. The issue at hand, as Damon so succinctly puts it: “You feed, or you die.” (Get a peek at tonight’s episode, then check out what’s coming up this season.)

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | When Sheldon hires a new, female assistant (Bent‘s Margo Harshman), Amy feels threatened. Meanwhile, Wolowitz is having a rough time in space. (Did they run out of ice cream? ‘Cause that would bum me out, too.)

8:30 pm Up All Night (NBC) | Chris and an old, annoying friend (Childrens Hospital‘s Rob Huebel) engage in a passive-aggressive war. (Watch a video sneak peek!)

VIDEO | Beauty and the Beast‘s Kristen Kreuk and Jay Ryan Promise a New Kind of Superman

9 pm Beauty and the Beast (The CW) | Series premiere: Smallville‘s Kristin Kreuk plays Cat, who as a child witnessed the murder of her mother but was saved by a mysterious stranger. Years later, Cat becomes a police detective who reconnects with said stranger. His name is Vincent (Terra Nova‘s Jay Ryan), he’s a presumed-dead military doctor and he has a secret: When he gets angry, he turns into a real beast.

9 pm Vice Presidential Debate (All major networks) | Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan discuss foreign and domestic policy in a two-hour debate. The event will be broadcast live from Centre College in Danville, Ky. and moderated by ABC News’ Martha Raddatz.

9 pm Project Runway (Lifetime) | This season’s penultimate episode has the designers presenting three looks to the judges in order to win one of three spots to show at Lincoln Center.

RELATED | Save the Dates: 65 October Premieres, Finales and Specials!

10 pm It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) | Season 8 premiere: Dennis and Dee’s grandfather Pop-Pop isn’t doing so well, and they have to decide whether or not to pull the plug on the onetime Nazi. Mac, Charlie and Frank, meanwhile, go on a search for Pop-Pop’s war spoils.

10:30 pm The League (FX) | Season 4 premiere: Taco’s business dealings with Jerry Jones land the guys an invite to the Dallas Cowboys’ Training Camp.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 47 Shows!

11 pm Brand X With Russell Brand (FX) | Fall premiere: The Brit comedian’s late-night talk show returns for the second half of its first season.

11:30 pm Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell (FX) | Fall premiere: Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave stops by.

Comments (49)

• I could not be more excited for Vampire Diaries!!!

Comment by Rebecca – October 11, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s hope it doesn’t suck like Season 3!

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Suck. HA.

Comment by Nicholas Russo – October 11, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 3 was awesome! Which show were you watching!

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was watching The Vampire Diaries (Season 3) and it certainly wasn’t as awesome as it should have been. It was a disappointing season overall. This is just my opinion though. I’m hoping Season 4 goes back to what made Season 1 and Season 2 so fantastic. I listed some reasons about what made Season 3 bleh in a comment lower on the page.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have to agree that Season 3 was disappointing as I was thoroughly sick of Klaus by the end of the season and so I am disappointed that the character is coming back again.

Comment by SAM – October 11, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • well said i agree!

Comment by nightmagic – October 11, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t wet yourself or anything.

Comment by CJ – October 11, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to The Vampire Diaries (praying this season isn’t as bad as Season 3). I’m going to check out Beauty and the Beast, but I’m hearing so many bad things about the Pilot all I can think about is how awful it is that the CW ended The Secret Circle for this show. Ugh! But also looking forward to Last Resort!!

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW didn’t end The Secret Circle for BATB. They ended it because of bad ratings and if it was renewed it would have gone to Friday anyway.

Comment by jayy008 – October 11, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Either way, it just sucks that a good show had to go, while a show that is already receiving pretty bad reception from critics takes that spot. It’s not going to succeed, that I already know, but still…Also, TSC only had bad ratings at the very end tail of its season, but for the rest of the season it was one of the CW’s stronger performing shows. Plus, this season the CW is doing AWFUL with how low, low, low the ratings are for its Monday shows and even Hart of Dixie.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Secret Circle was stupid (only bright spot was Diana) and it had bad ratings since episode 12. It was as high as it was only because of The Vampire Diaries as lead-in. Monday shows are ending and they are trash anyway. Nobody want to see 90210 and GG (which is ending in 9 episodes! Hallelujah!) anymore. Arrow and Supernatural are awesome though! I’ll watch Beauty and the Beast just to see how horrible it can be. Might be a great show for drinking games.

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Funny – I stopped watching after the 3rd episode of “Secret Circle” because Diana was so annoying. ;-)

Comment by SAM – October 11, 2012 07:37 AM PDT
          • I respectfully disagree about your opinion on The Secret Circle, but I totally agree with you on 9O21O and Gossip Girl (you can include Hart of Dixie here too). No one wants to watch those shows. Nikita, Arrow, Supernatural those shows are great.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 07:47 AM PDT
          • @Sam: Say it again and ‘I’ll kill you, your children and your grandchildren’! (Jk. She was that show’s Caroline! You can’t say anything negative about her)

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 01:04 PM PDT
          • @Dean, Caroline didn’t make me roll my eyes like Diana did. I thought her acting was just painful. Maybe she improved as the season went on but out of all the definitely not-great performances on that show, she was the worst, at least in the first 3 episodes.

Guess it’s a good thing that I don’t have kids, huh? ;-)

Comment by SAM – October 11, 2012 03:33 PM PDT
      • supernatural went to fridays and now it is on wednesdays. i thought the hart of dixie had worst rating than the secret circle?

Comment by Courtney Myers – October 11, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It did. But The Secret Circle was more expensive.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad that Glee and Grey’s is not on… but at least Vampire Diaries and Beauty and the Beast make up for it!! :)

Comment by HEATHER – October 11, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Big bang Theory
    Last Resort
    It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Comment by Balaji K – October 11, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last resort and Tvd

Comment by Amanda – October 11, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as TVD won’t shove Klaus down my thorat I’m pleased

Comment by mac – October 11, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 of the Vampire Diaries, was its best yet!!! Every episode could have been a season finale!! Thats how good the episodes were! Exactly what part of it was bad???
    Last Resort and Vampire Diaries!!!

Comment by Eric – October 11, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 3 of TVD was…

1. Highly predictable. What made Season 1 and especially Season 2 so good was the twists and turns the show took that you never saw coming and progressed the show to be even better. Season 3 things were just so predictable part of the fun in the show was lost.

2. Episodes seemed boring. This is subjective, but in my opinion, more episodes in Season 3 compared to 1 & 2 were not as entertaining. Some were a bit boring.

3. The Love Triangle is of course the core of the show, BUT, Season 3 practically shoved it down everyone’s throats it became unbearable. Again, the first two seasons handled the love triangle MUCH better.

4. KLAUS! Oh my gosh, I used to LOVE Klaus when he first came into the show, but like the love triangle, he was shoved down our throats way too much. On top of that, his character was completely ruined. Where he was once intimidating and unpredictable, he became like a child and to make it worse? A love sick, pining puppy. His affection for Caroline, as much as I LOVE her, is ridiculous and hurts his character terribly. I mean, he’s not even scary anymore.

5. Joseph Morgan is as always incredible, but Klaus should not have been promoted to a regular because it took away a lot of focus from our other character.

6. Kill Klaus! Kill Klaus! I mean, that was the whole point of Season 3 and you know what? It never happened. So basically this whole season felt like a massive filler.

7. The execution of The Originals was done poorly. It started off great, but fell off short. And killing Mikael was a mistake. He was built up so much early on and it was a total waste.

8. The list goes on, but this is some of the big points. Not all of Season 3 was horrible. The first 9 episodes of the season were great and the season finale was too (except, it was so predictable that Elena was going to turn. I saw that coming since the season premiere). The rest of the season was just bleh though.

Also, about Klaus, he’s totally pointless to the story and the show now because he has no purpose anymore. His story was run to the ground and the whole point of him being there is done since Elena is turning. Season 3 was a disappointing season and I’m hoping Season 4 turns the show around.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with most of your observations since I also complained about it a lot with my friends back then. But I still think season 3 was awesome, especially the first half of the season.
        - Kill Klaus already! I also loved him, but he has no purpose anymore! And I absolutely hate his possible romantic plotline with Caroline (who is the BEST)!!
        - Elena turning was just a desperate attempt to attract the Twilight fans more than anything since Bella also turned at the end in the last movie. I thought Elena shouldn’t have turned until season 5.
        - I think the show is at its best when it doesn’t do the love triangle with Elena-Damon-Stefan. But still, I like Delena.
        - Kol is just the worst Original possible. I agree, they started off great and then it was awful.
        - If they kill Katherine, I’ll be pissed! She’s the most awesome vampire on the show!
        Okay, all I see are me whining about a show I love. That’s not good, is it! I still love it. Its awesome. These are just a few nitpicks.

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I love the show too! Don’t get me wrong. But a true fan, like you and myself, knows that every show, even our favorites, are entitled to bad episodes and overall bad seasons. For me, Season 3 of TVD just wasn’t its finest. It definitely had its highlights, but the bad sides I think outweigh it.

Comment by iMember – October 11, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I like your reasoning, take dexter for instance seasons 5&6 were subpar to say the least, now its better. and the x files non mulder years were not great. but true fans stick with shows and dont say not watching anymore because they dont like it.

Comment by Bender – October 11, 2012 10:10 AM PDT
          • Dexter’s season 4 and 5 are my most favorite of the entire series. Season 6 was awful though.

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 01:08 PM PDT
          • @iMember: Your reasoning is perfect, but non-fans might misinterpret our comments.
            Stuck with the horrible first half in season 2 of Walking Dead and the payoff was awesome.

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 01:10 PM PDT
  • The Vampire Diaries!!
    Last Resort
    Beauty and the Beast (Might be a good one for drinking games and I like Kristin)
    Dammit, no Person of Interest tonight!

Comment by Dean – October 11, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • X Factor & Beauty & the Beast

Comment by Jared – October 11, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DVR XFactor and Bing Bang Theory. Watching TVD and Beauty and The Beast.

Comment by Paris – October 11, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just Big Bang Theory for me tonight.

Comment by Justin – October 11, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VD,Beauty & Beast

Comment by Brandy – October 11, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snice theres no Scandal this week I will be checking out Beauty & The Beast, I hope its such as great as Arrow was last night.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 11, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort – best new show this year
    The VP Debate – because I am an adult

Comment by Dee – October 11, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nothing! i’ll be at the a’s game- let’s go oakland! but i will defintely dvr vampire diaries and the vp debate. might check out beauty and the beast too, my curiosity outweighs the terrible reviews.

Comment by murley – October 11, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory…
    then watch the VP debate if i can handle it lol. if not maybe ill check of beauty and the beast. if not, then something on demand lol.

Comment by L – October 11, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all cw for me tonight

Comment by ollie – October 11, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory
    The Vampire Diaries
    Last Resort
    Then play catch up with the DVR and the 6 shows or so that I still need to watch from earlier in the week!

Comment by G – October 11, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give VD one chance to convince me that Elena as a vampire is a good thing

Comment by hello – October 11, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like I am in for a theme night. I’ll watch the nazi episode of Sunny in Philadelphia and then I’ll watch Joe Biden debate a nazi.

Comment by Jo – October 11, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hasn’t Elena been banging fangs since the first season? Now if you meant baring, that’s a different story… ;)

Comment by Thea – October 11, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort
    VP Debate
    Sunny/League

Comment by Cal – October 11, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurray for The League’s return!!! What a funny show. I’m a little intrigued by the episode description for Sunny. I always thought they needed to do a return to Pop Pop the Nazi. That original one where he was introduced was always one of my favorite episodes of the show. I hope they don’t forget Dee has that phobia to being around old people. Dangit, now I gotta go find that season one episode and rewatch it to get ready for tonight.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 11, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a pity that Beauty and the Beast has like no chance against the debate. I would’ve waited a week for the premiere.

Comment by AT – October 11, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch TBBT, DVR Last Resort.

Comment by nick1372 – October 11, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show after all is called vampire diaries, so we shuld of expected elena wuld be changed somehow. The title of the show is broad so the storyline can go from one situation to the next. But I think her transition and the new adventures, will be interesting….btw, tho she chose stefan…Damon is hottt.

Comment by bosslady – October 11, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post