Pilot Scoop: Denis Leary's USA Comedy Sirens Enlists Modern Family, Scrubs Actors

Michael Mosley Kevin Daniels SirensUSA Network has finalized casting on its Denis Leary-produced paramedic comedy pilot Sirens, tapping Michael Mosley (Scrubs, Pan Am), Kevin Daniels (Modern Family) and Kevin Bigley (Game Change).

From Leary and writer Bob Fisher (Traffic Light), the half-hour, single-camera project (adapted from the UK series of the same name) follows three of Chicago’s best EMTs whose sometimes self-loathing, other times narcissistic, and always downright self-destructive personalities make them unqualified for sustaining relationships, friendships and most occupations. They are, however, uniquely qualified for saving anyone unlucky enough to wind up in their ambulance.

Mosley will play Johnny, a good-looking, sports-loving, Chicago EMT who works with his best friend Hank (Daniels). Bigley rounds out the trio as Brian, a wide-eyed and excitable new EMT who still lives with his parents and whose prior experience includes volunteering as an Easter Seal. He is eager and always ready for an adventure. Hank and Johnny put him through the paces but for the most part Brian doesn’t mind; he’s game for anything.

Jessica McNamee (The Vow) co-stars as Theresa, a smart, gorgeous female cop with the Chicago PD who still loves her ex Johnny, but ultimately had to move on when he wouldn’t commit.

The cable net, which will begin airing reruns of Modern Family next year, recently wrapped production on another half-hour pilot, Paging Mr. Freed. The comedy centers on gynecologist brothers David (Kyle Howard) and Jonathan (Joel David Moore) who inherit their father’s thriving medical practice after he dies from a heart attack.

Comments (17)

• Ohhh a US remake of the UK Sirens? Surprised as it got cancelled after one season. Though it was a brilliant comedy :(

Comment by Ruth O'Brien – October 11, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and it looks like they’ve replaced the gay guy with a female. Disappointing.

Comment by Ruth O'Brien – October 11, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There were two gay guys on the show, one of the paramedics and main guys ex girlfriends cop partner. And I read nothing that suggest they were de-gaying the show, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Comment by Russ – October 11, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t you mean Joel David Moore?

Comment by Jenna Vento (@jvento) – October 11, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the de-gaying of an already perfect, cancelled too quickly, UK show. Sigh.

Comment by Sean Wang – October 11, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s TV, but WHY does every show focused on firefighters/EMTs portay these men and women as incapable of having healthy, positive relationships with anyone besides their patients or people they save?? As a wife of a firefighter I can say that this is not the case with the large majority of them! Bring on the “it’s drama for tv” “no problems are boring” comments, but I just wanted to get it out there! :)

Comment by Giana – October 11, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • everyone’s a little gay :)

Comment by lala – October 11, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that Michael Mosley gets time while shooting this to revisit his “3XK” role on “Castle.” It’s too good of a hanging plot line, so I have to believe that Marlowe and the writers will revisit it at some point.

Comment by Malachi – October 11, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so too. Actually, I think either TVLine or another site reported a while back that a November sweeps episode would bring someone/something back. I’m hoping that it’s the 3XK and Michael was able to shoot the episode before starting on this new series.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – October 11, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought his picture looked familiar.
      He was a very conviencing actor as 3xk on Castle.
      Hope this works for him.

shirley

Comment by shirley – February 22, 2014 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pretty much watch every show on USA, but this does not seem all that good. I dunno, why should I care about these characters?

Comment by mst3k – October 11, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt they’ll cut down on the copious nudity of the original too. So the gay character is gone, huh? I won’t be tuning in, it’ll keep my memories of the original Sirens intact.

Comment by Jon – October 11, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, the show sounds very… americanized? De-gaying aside (is it sure happening?), I was a huge fan of Maxine in the original series, and it sounds like she is about to become a total cliche :/ Ugh, I miss the UK Sirens…

Comment by Ewa – October 11, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Michael Mosley a lot!

Comment by Eliza – October 11, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised that its going to be on USA. Leary is going to have to dial back the language somewhat; USA is not as “grammatically progressive” as FX.

Comment by Irish Eyes – October 11, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the pilot. There is no de gaying. The show was really funny. I hope they pick it up.

Comment by Jesse J – December 31, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sirens is the funniest show I have seen in a long long time. It is so common sense and talk it makes a person want to hear every word. I literally can not miss an episode , Great.

Comment by Robert P. williamson – March 27, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post