Is Beauty and the Beast More Than Skin Deep?

Beauty and the Beat PremiereThe CW’s Beauty and the Beast made its debut Thursday night — but was it the reboot of the ’80s cult hit that you were hoping for? Or was the titular creature more beauty-ful than a show with this title had any right to be?

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on the procedural, but first, a brief refresher: Beauty stars Kristin Kreuk as Catherine Chandler, a New York City detective who fell into the gig after years ago witnessing the murder of her mother. She believes she was saved from her own demise that very night by some kind of man-imal, though she’s never been able to fully trust that memory… until now.

RELATED | Beauty and the Beast Exclusive: Mädchen Amick Lands Ritzy Guest Role

Enter Vincent (Jay Ryan), a former Army doctor who was reportedly killed while serving overseas. In actuality, he’s in hiding after a military experiment gone wrong left him an unpredictable man-beast — when enraged, at least.

Having accidentally come across the “beast” during a routine investigation, Cat learns that Vincent — with whom she shares an intense attraction — was the one who rescued her the night of her mom’s death, and has since been working as a vigilante of sorts right under her nose.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Beauty and the Beast, then back up your pick in the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

1. Kelly says:

Bad acting and campy writing. It would work a a comedy.

2. Marissa says:

i thought that it was awesome! i mean of course it’s not going to be exactly like beauty and the beast, but GIVE IT A CHANCE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!! it was only the pilot! i loved it!!!! i would rather watch this than vampire dairies! and i think those actors are perfect for the show!!!!! i’m willing to stick around!:) please everybody keep this show going! if it starts to become stupid like others shows become, i won’t watch it!

3. Jessa says:

Kristen Kreuk’s acting is just painful. I gave it a shot, but I don’t think I’ll be tuning in next week. Vincent The Model as the beast is also completely unbelievable.

4. Mrs. Peele says:

The name of the show should not have been ‘Beauty and the Beast’ because it has nothing to do with the concept of the original. And I agree that the actors are miscast. Kristin is too unbelievable in her role. But to call her ‘beauty’ just to fill the requirement for the title is silly so is the ‘beast’. Hamilton and Perlman personified the true meaning of ‘Beauty and the Beast’. She fought crime and corruption and Vincent came to her aid. She was attacked in the park by two thugs who were actually trying to kill someone else and believed she was the target. Vincent was born a beast, but ‘beauty’ was also in his heart. It also seems like almost every tv show out there has to have ‘mother’ issues – who killed my mom? And their mothers are always involved in something. Beckett’s mother on ‘Castle’, Brennan’s mother on ‘Bones’, Jordan’s mom on ‘Crossing Jordan’ and more. Gets old fast.

To anyone who has never seen the original, you will understand why this is not a remake and should not bear the name ‘Beauty and the Beast’. That was an ethereal place which took the viewer into a different world. It had violence and crime and death, yes but what the new show is displaying is just another cop show for our time – nothing you can get lost into for a while. There was a entirely different world of people living under the city in a network of tunnels and ‘Father’ was the leader. Vincent was the protector. It was beautifully done. This is, as I said before, just another crime drama with a twist —again.

5. ChrisGa says:

As a diehard fan of the original series, not to mention savage reviews by just about everyone, I went in with zero expectations. Personally, I thought it was pretty decent; of course, no one will buy Kreuk as a homicide detective–just like no one buys Rachel Bilson as a doctor on HOD–and an Abercrombie model as the Beast is a stretch in the strictest sense. But I didn’t think Kreuk was nearly as bad as many did and as a whole I actually enjoyed this more than Arrow(a show that really suffers from a weak lead).

6. Amy says:

I thought it was a more solid first episode than Arrow, which I’d been looking forward to. I like that the characters have some quirks and flaws off the bat. The guy playing Vincent is better than I expected (having seen him in Australian soaps). Will give it another go next week.

7. Leo Gomes says:

I was just thinking. It would be better, for me anyway, if at the beginning of the story (nine years before), Vincent was never able to turn back into human. So he went throughout all that time as a beast, being hidden by his friend JT. After meeting Catherine again (and saving her of … whatever), she recognizes him as the beast who saved her in the past. Then JT finds them with a just discovered drug that turns him back into human, and Catherine gets into that “Oh God. It’s Vincent Keller.” mode. Oh, just thought about something, that every time he turns into beast he would need to take another shot of the drug. That would bring another point of tension to the story. And also, after taking the drug, it would take him some time to be able to turn into beast again. I think that would satisfy the people who say that it killed the line of the first show.

8. astrid says:

… I like the setup. BUT: they simply COPIED the story of the 2nd episode of 2005 “The Closer” for the criminal case Kreuk is “investigating”, only changing names and professions!!!
    I get that the main point of the pilot was not the criminal case but introducing the characters. Still: I CAN’T believe they could not be bothered to invent an original criminal case as a background. Why?! Have they run out???

9. anonymous says:

kristin kreuk is on it. so therefore it is the best show on the planet. no i am not a smallville fan and i am not a lana lang fan. i am a kristin kreuk fan. she is a beautiful and humble human being who desrves all the support in the world.

10. Missy says:

I have watched every episode and can fairly say this show sucks. I have given it several chances, mainly because I like Kreuk. Maybe I have truly outgrown the CW, since I fail to see how this show gets more episodes and a good show like Ringer was cancelled. There were many characters I liked on that show and hate hate that it was not finished. I don’t care about any of the characters in B&B. it’s fairly boring.

11. Celine says:

WTF!!! How can anyone hate beauty and the beast; for those who voted fail, you have to watch the full series otherwise you are really missing out.

12. Joanie says:

Sorry I missed the pilot because I wouldn’t have bothered watching tonight. I found it trite, unbelievable even given the unbelievable premis, and too filled with beautiful people who are not great actors.

13. keira007 says:

This is an awesome show which is worth sticking with. I was hesitant at first but it is definitely worthwhile!

14. ARIELLE WANG says:

for me for all the tv series i`ve watch batb is the best. always watch everyweek . to the staff and crew morepower. Beaurty and the Beast is the Best and i like the tandeem of kristin kreuk and jay ryan.thanks CW.