What to Watch Wednesday: Arrow, Nashville and Chicago Fire Debut, Double Dunphys and More

Connie BrittonOn TV this Wednesday: Arrow will have you aquiver, Nashville starts with a twang, Chicago Fire hopes to ignite your interest and Modern Family makes up for lost time. As a supplement to TVLine’s original programming, here are 10 programs to keep on your radar tonight.

RELATED | Stephen Amell Reveals Arrow‘s Greatest Weakness: ‘He’s Going to Self-Destruct’

8 pm Arrow (The CW) | Series premiere: After a shipwreck maroons Oliver Queen on an island for five years and kills his dad, the rich playboy is rescued and secretly becomes Arrow, a vigilante who’s got a bow and isn’t afraid to use it. Stephen Amell (Private Practice) stars as the titular hero, while Katie Cassidy (Melrose Place), Paul Blackthorne (The Dresden Files), Willa Holland (The O.C.) and Susanna Thompson (Once & Again) round out the cast. (Read TVLine’s review of the pilot.)

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | After boot camp ends, the survivors are whisked off to their mentors’ homes for their final shot at earning a place in the live shows.

8 pm Survivor: Philippines (CBS) | Hoping to avoid going home, one of the contestants shares a shocking childhood story and then sets out to find the Immunity Idol.

8 pm Animal Practice (NBC) | George is displeased when 1) Yamamoto’s emergency surgery on the mayor’s dog is a huge success, making him a media star and 2) Dorothy hires an accomplished new doctor (NTSF: SD: SUV::‘s June Diane Raphael) who might cause her cocky ex to quake in his lab coat.

PREVIEW | Law & Order: SVU First Look: Revenge and Veep Actors Get Their Fifty Shades of Grey On!

9 pm Modern Family (ABC) | Back-to-back episodes: First up, Phil and Claire drop Hayley at college and Lily gets into a fight with a boy in her kindergarten class, necessitating a parent conference between Mitch, Cam and the kid’s confrontational lesbian parents (played by Bridesmaids‘ Wendi McLendon-Covey and Saturday Night Live alum Michaela Watkins). Then, Phil gets a vasectomy and Gloria and Jay can’t agree about whether or not to find out the sex of their baby.

9 pm Supernatural (The CW) | Misha Collins returns as Castiel, whose own visit to purgatory apparently was not the stuff of postcards. (View photos.)

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | When the bodies of two seemingly unrelated victims are found just hours apart in San Diego and Los Angeles, the BAU suspects that two killers are working together. Mackenzie Phillips (One Day at a Time) guest-stars.

PREVIEW | Nashville Team on Connie Britton’s ‘Journey’ as a Singer, Hayden Panettiere’s Hussy and the Reba/Taylor Swift Comparisons

10 pm Nashville (ABC) | Series premiere: Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights) is Rayna Jaymes, an aging country music star who chafes when her label asks her to open for popular newcomer Juliette Barnes (Heroes‘ Hayden Panettiere). Powers Boothe (24) plays Rayna’s dad, who’s grooming her husband (Without a Trace‘s Eric Close) for a mayoral run; and Jonathan Jackson (General Hospital), Sam Palladio (Episodes) and Clare Bowen (Home and Away) play up-and-comers in Nashville’s music scene. (Check out TVLine’s first impression of the pilot – Spoiler alert: They’re good.)

10 pm Chicago Fire (NBC) | Series premiere: A blaze that kills a member of Firehouse 51 causes a huge rift among its tight-knit ranks. Jesse Spencer (House) stars as Matthew Casey, who continually butts heads with Rescue Squad leader elly Severide (Vampire Diaries‘ Taylor Kinney), while Eamonn Walker (Oz), Monica Raymund (Lie to Me), Lauren German (Hawaii Five-0) and David Eigenberg (Sex and the City) round out the cast.

10 pm South Park (Comedy Central) | Cartman signs up for a home-security system.

10:30 pm Key & Peele (Comedy Central) | Tonight’s sketches include Ice-T as a puppy and a Rihanna/Chris Brown reunion… which might be funny if it weren’t (possibly) true.

Comments (46)

• Whole ABC lineup& DVD CSI & X Factor

Comment by Nick – October 10, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!

Comment by Renee – October 10, 2012 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow & Nashville, Two out of three new shows that I am looking forward too and the three being Emily Ownes.

And next week American Horror Story

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 10, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!!
    Arrow
    Modern Family
    Nashville
    Chicago Fire

Comment by GK – October 10, 2012 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch Chicago Fire!

Comment by Haunted (@HauntedTimes) – October 10, 2012 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow is my most anticipated new show, and I’ll also try Nashville and Chicago Fire.

Comment by Renee – October 10, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville, mostly for Eric Close.

Comment by Maria – October 10, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow and Chicago Fire.

Comment by Patricia – October 10, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for this for months, Arrow, Supernatural, and Chicago Fire one after another. Might DVR Nashville because of Jonathan Jackson.

Comment by Isabelle – October 10, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire!!! Jesse Spencer is back!

Comment by Jackie – October 10, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow
    Modern Family – 2 episodes

Comment by Balaji K – October 10, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Nashville online already (loved it!) so maybe I’ll check out Chicago Fire.

Comment by Andrea – October 10, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geez, Wednesday nights are KILLING me (and my DVR!)
    Watch LIVE: Arrow, Supernatural
    DVR: Modern Family, SVU, Criminal Minds, Nashville, Chicago Fire
    And next week: AMERICAN HORROR STORY!!!!

Comment by Curly Girly – October 10, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya I can only Dvr 2@ a time

Comment by janeen – October 10, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is why I have TWO DVRS. Yep, I have no life. LOL.

Comment by Curly Girly – October 10, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow, modern family, Chicago fire and maybe Nashville!!!!

Comment by g.g72 – October 10, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the Nashville pilot already – by far the best pilot I’ve seen all season. I definitely recommend it. But as for tonight, since I already watched Nashville, just the x-factor for me.

Comment by Court – October 10, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will check out Arrow,
    then Modern Family and CSI

Comment by jen – October 10, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Middle, Modern Family, and I will give Nashville a try and see if I like it.

Comment by Liz – October 10, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching everything on the networks tonight except for overrated CSI..

Comment by Lommm – October 10, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family and Chicago Fire.

Comment by Steph – October 10, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching Chicago Fire of course!!!!

Comment by Nina – October 10, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow
    Supernatural
    L&O:SVU
    Nashville
    Chicago Fire

Wednesday’s are now packed for my DVR!

Comment by Jessica – October 10, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville has GCB written all over it.

Comment by K.Chenoweth's role picker – October 10, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NASHVILLE!!! Modern Family, The Middle, Survivor, Arrow, The X-Factor!!! Wholy Moly!!! and then next week AHS!!!! Whats a DVR to do???

Comment by Eric – October 10, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will watch both CW shows since I just finished all of supernatural and arrow looks good, then Nashville cause everyone has said it’s awesome and it looks awesome and modern family

Comment by Juan – October 10, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but if you just finished first 5 seasons of Supernatural, nothing will come close to season 4 and 5′s awesomeness.

Comment by Dean – October 10, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • abc lineup, south park, key and peele live, dvr arrow and csi

Comment by chris – October 10, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARROW

its Arrow day, its a national holiday
    have a good Arrow day, and a good arrow watch, ater an a good Arrow sleep

Comment by Arrowlife – October 10, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *after*

arrow jitters, good ones.

Comment by Arrowlife – October 10, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville. Packed night for me and my DVR

Comment by Amanda – October 10, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DVR Arrow, SN, CM and CSI (which, of course, wasn’t highlighted so that Trashville and CF could be pimped.) LOL

Comment by Chicago Dan – October 10, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you–will be watching CSI at 10. Everyone thought Revenge was the big hot show last year–but it never came close to beating CSI in viewers or the demo. So ABC moved it to Sunday against The Good Wife. Have to say I’m a little more worried about Nashville. Of the 3 Major networks the only show I watch that isn’t on CBS is Castle on Monday night.

Comment by Marge – October 10, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty much the same. Everything’s on CBS – all my fave shows, for the most part. Although I do like Revenge, am a BIG fan of SVU, and I’ve just discovered Homeland on Sunday nights. My DVR is challenged trying to keep up with my Sunday viewing! But CBS, in my opinion, really needs to end Survivor and find something else that is NOT a dumb reality show for Wednesday nights at 8! Tonight I will, of course, watch Criminal Minds, record SVU, and give Chicago Fire a shot.

Comment by Judy Tankoos – October 10, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crminal Minds and Supernatural!

Comment by theresa – October 10, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Survivor and Criminal minds Dvring Arrow Supernatural Xfactor and Nashville

Comment by Josh – October 10, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville is an amazing pilot and I am going to watch it again tonight. Already saw Chicago Fire’s pilot and it is not nearly as good.

Comment by Mick – October 10, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My DVR is freaking PACKED tonight. I work second shift so I always have to record everything. Wednesdays are KILLER this season! Luckily, I can record 4 things at a time!

7PM:
    Animal Practice
    The Middle
    Arrow
    The X Factor

7:30:
    The Neighbors

8PM:
    L&O: SVU

9PM:
    South Park
    Nashville
    Chicago Fire
    The Soup

Next week I have to squeeze Suburgatory and AHS: Asylum into the mix…ugh!

Comment by Brett Heitkam – October 10, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow big night.. DVRing Arrow, South Park, Animal Practice (Love the monkey!) Watching Criminal Minds. Saw Chicicago Fire’s first episode already..Missed supernatural last week, Really wish I didn’t. ;[

Comment by Danielle – October 10, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • watch it on cwtv.com

Comment by Brett Heitkam – October 10, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to try to DVR as many as I can and watch the rest…NASHVILLE, CHICAGO FIRE, SVU, CSI, XFACTOR, MODERN FAMILY

Comment by janeen – October 10, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nashville

Comment by Brandy – October 10, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 8PM is the worst. Huge Survivor fan here, who happens to love X-Factor as well and is very excited to see Arrow (and Stephen Amell’s abs). There’ll be no space left for the Hecks tonight. After that it’s easy: ABC all the way with Modern Family and The Connie Britton Show.

Comment by Lili An-noln – October 10, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • arrow and modern family. might check out nashville online. not really my type of shows but the great reviews have me intrigued. and who doesn’t love connie britton?

Comment by murley – October 10, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone — big TV night. I’ll be watching/DVR-ing Arrow, Supernatural, Guys With Kids, SVU, and Chicago Fire.

Comment by Trent – October 10, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching The Middle. DVRing Dragons: Riders of Berk (on Cartoon Network), Modern Family and Modern Family.
    I’d like to DVR Arrow’s pilot, but 3-way DVR confict :-(
    I saw Nashville online. It was good. It wasn’t as good as critics said, though. It definitely was not the best pilot of the season. Revolution was better, The New Normal was better, Go On was better, and Last Resort was a lot better.

Comment by nick1372 – October 10, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post