NBC to Air Bryan Fuller's Mockingbird Lane Pilot as Standalone Halloween Special

Mockingbird Lane, the pilot which was to be the premiere of NBC’s rebooted Munsters series, instead will air as a Halloween special on Friday, Oct. 26 at 8/7 before Grimm, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | Mockingbird Lane‘s Bryan Fuller on His Munsters Mash-up and New Growth for Pushing Daisies

Rumors about the potential series’ demise have been around for weeks; as recently as Wednesday, writer/producer Bryan Fuller took to Twitter to say the project still had a pulse.

But THR reports that Fuller and director Bryan Singer had different visions for the $10 million pilot, and in the end, the network didn’t love the finished product. Complicating matters, Fuller is now committed to stewarding NBC’s midseason drama Hannibal, as well.

RELATED | Exclusive: Hannibal Gobbles Up Molly Shannon

However, according to an insider, if the special does well in the ratings NBC may go ahead and order it to series.

NBC has billed Mockingbird Lane as “a visually spectacular one-hour drama” based on the 1960s sitcom. It stars Jerry O’Connell as Herman Munster, Portia de Rossi as his wife Lily and Eddie Izzard as Grandpa.

1. Frankie says:

I want it.

2. I’m thankful we’ll get to see at least one bit of it. Better than nothing.

3. Alex says:

This is exciting! Even if it’s only a pilot, at least we’ll get to see it…

4. Jem says:

I must have this.

5. Esaul says:

Meh. Reluctant on any reboots of shows.

• CJ says:

Especially when, by their very description of the project, it seems clear that the people making the “reboot” don’t understand the appeal of the original show. The Munsters was by definition silly, cheesy, campy…..call it what you will, but it wasn’t a drama of any kind. When you make it a drama, you throw away its essence. And it was fully aware of its cheesiness–which was the main source of laughs.

• Dizzle says:

Um… The reboot of BSG was exactly this, and arguably the updated series was one of the best dramas on TV when it aired (and still now, tbh). Just because one version of the story is campy and OTT doesn’t mean there can’t be another version with more dramatic qualities.

6. A says:

Hope people tune do we get more

7. WayneInNYC says:

I’m very curious to see it.

8. John says:

When will it air? My guess is Halloween in place of Animal Practice/Guys with Kids or Chicago Fire if it’s ratings burn out fast enough.

9. dude says:

“The spooky special does not yet have an airdate.”
    Probably Halloween.

10. Jared says:

I can’t wait to see this. Ive been looking forward to atleast a glimpse of Mockingbird Lane since the early stages of development. My gut says this will go to series shortly after this special.

• Ann says:

ONLY if NBC advertises it so people know it’s on. If NBC is trying to simply burn the show with no ads, then it’s going to fail. We have less than 3 weeks until Halloween and they haven’t even scheduled the date yet, so it’s not looking too good for this to go as a series. Hopefully I’m wrong.

11. Babybop says:

Bryan Fuller is a genius. Sad that his projects don’t seem to succeed.

12. mia says:

I’m reluctant to check out anything that’s in the DOA-bin, but I might just watch this. Been interested since it was announced. Plus, it has a fantastic cast

13. “The spooky special does not yet have an airdate” I’m assuming sometime around October 31st but before November 1st… but, then again, this is NBC, so who knows? Donaghy is tanking the network!

14. Amanda says:

Everyone should watch! I really wanted to see this a series.

15. Mark says:

Wow this is depressing. Only the pilot :(

16. ZtR says:

I was really only excited for this because of Fullers involvement, and I would rather he work on Hannibal.

17. Ann says:

I was looking forward to this tv series! If Bryan Singer and Bryan Fuller are in disagreement with the direction of this show, then get rid of Bryan Singer! He stinks! Look at what he did to the X-Men! Fuller is great and creative, NBC needs to ditch Singer and his lack of vision and creativity.

18. haukmoor says:

I want to see Izzard as grampa!

19. leahbh says:

I guess there are very few of us who get bryan fuller. so sad! :(

20. tvdiva says:

NBC has a creative genius in Bryan Fuller. They should be thanking him for creating two series that are not reality shows on their sad little network.

21. Mike says:

I really like the munsters original show, but im curious to see if this adaptation could work. I would definately watch it, even if its nothing like the origanal show. Besides I just dont think you could do another sitcom style munsters. No one can live up to Gwynne, DeCarlo, and Lewis.