Pilot Scoop: Grey's Anatomy's Eric Dane to Captain TNT Action Drama The Last Ship

Eric Dane The Last ShipMcSteamy’s aliiiive!

Eric Dane, whose Grey’s Anatomy swan song aired last week, has inked a deal to headline TNT’s apocalyptic drama pilot The Last Ship.

The project, produced by Michael Bay and based on the William Brinkley novel, follows the crew of a naval destroyer in the wake of a global catastrophe that nearly obliterated the earth’s population.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Justified Skilling Off Eric Dane’s Mark

Dane will play Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man and a loving father and husband who’s never home as much as he’d like to be. Chandler is authoritative, decisive, fair, courageous and a born leader, respected and loved by men and women in his command.

The cast also includes Michaela McManus, Charles Parnell, Travis Van Winkle, Christina Elmore and Sam Spruell.

1. marge says:

Yay! Congrats to Eric Dane, I look forward to seeing him on my tv again :)

2. Cindy says:

It will be great to see Eric in a new show. I miss him greatly.

3. soxfan says:

Congrats to Eric Dane!!! Good for him that he has landed a new job. The description of his character traits reminds me alot of Mark Sloan – well, without all the womanizing!! Looking forward to the show!!!

4. Penny says:

Yay for Eric Dane! I will definitely check out The Last Ship.

5. You show Slaughter Shonda, Eric!!! Can’t wait till Chyler Leigh’s kids grow up and she gets a very successful pilot! :)

6. Elyse says:

love Eric Dane! i will be checking this show out :)

7. I want to watch the show already!!!

8. Ella says:

Sign me up.

9. Forwarddad says:

Do people understand that both Eric and Chyler both wanted to leave GA?

• marge says:

actually, it was recently released that Eric was a casualty of cast-cuts.

• Debbie says:

I get kinda pissed when people wanna blame Chyler and Eric’s leaving on budget cuts. He wanted to leave “Grey’s” to do other things and Chyler wanted time with her kids. Had “Grey’s” been circling the drain. They wouldn’t had the money to hire 3 or 4 more actors to replace the 2 that left. Shonda has what 4 shows now? I really don’t think her or her shows are hurting.

10. Sarah says:

Captain Tom Chandler is also insanely hot.

11. Ana says:

Ok, this sounds A LOT like Last Resort. Not too original. So I hope the writing is insanely good because I can’t wait to see McSteamy back on my screen. Woo hoo!!! Congratulations Eric! Good for you!

• Sg.Grant says:

This sounds nothing like Last Resort. What part of global catastrophe that nearly obliterated the earth’s population do you not understand?

12. Kristina says:

Not sure about the show, but it’s worth checking out at least if it’s got Eric Dane in it!

13. Mélanie says:

It must be hard working on the GA set since everyone leaves although they have amazing stories !

14. Donna says:

Glad to see him get a starring role. Fantastic!

15. Dominique says:

Good for him. Shonda’s loss is someone elses gain. Glad he’s gonna do this!

16. Juliette says:

So looking forward to this! just ordered the book too!

17. You could definitely see your enthusiasm in
    the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    All the time follow your heart.

18. Kay wall says:

Was some of TNT’s , The Last Ship filmed on the Queen Mary?

19. Hello, this weekend is pleasant for me, for the reason that this point in time i am reading this wonderful educational piece of
    writing here at my house.

20. Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own
    a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam
    responses? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

21. william h. skinner says:

Really enjoy the series! However the insignia rank for Eric Dane is incorrect. The Captain of a ship is an 06 and is designated by Eagles worn on each lapel.