Horror Story Taps Deadwood's Ian McShane to 'Tussle' With Jessica Lange

Ian McShaneThe ensemble for American Horror Story: Asylum continues to get bigger, and better.

The latest addition to the FX spookfest, which opens its second chapter next Wednesday: British actor Ian McShane, who during his run on HBO’s Deadwood won a Golden Globe and earned an Emmy nomination.

VIDEO | New American Horror Story: Asylum Trailer Boasts Real (and Real Creepy) Footage!

Horror Story cocreator Ryan Murphy announced the casting via Twitter on Wednesday, teasing that McShane’s character will “tussle” with the mental institution head/nun being played by Emmy/Globe/SAG Award winner Jessica Lange. No further details on his role were immediately made available.

RELATED | American Horror Story: Asylum — Watch the First Five Minutes!

In addition to his run as Deadwood‘s Al Swearengen, McShane’s Stateside TV credits include NBC’s Kings and Starz’s Pillars of the Earth miniseries.

1. Mafalda Neto says:

great actor, great casting

2. Do I have to watch season one to know what is going on?

• Isaac says:

No. It’s a whole different story. But you should watch season 1 anyway cause it’s awesome.

• Jake says:

no you dont have to watch season 1 to understand season 2. It only has some actors from season 1 but in different roles. Supposedly every season will be a new story with new characters.

3. DL says:

Awesome! Love Ian McShane!

4. Scott says:

Is there any working actor left who hasn’t been cast in AHS yet?

5. Dee says:

Excellent! This puts him on FX which is a step closer to being reunited with Olyphant on Justified.

6. Kevin in CT says:

It’s good to see Ian McShane around again, I’m still a bit irritated that Deadwood was never closed out properly, it was a great show!

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh my gosh, the casting fairy heard the wish I made on that shooting star!!! That’s so awesome!! But I’m suddenly sad now, thinking about how much I miss Deadwood. :( I hope he’s doing an American accent on the show. His real-life British accent has never sounded all that tough to me. And I like Ian best when he’s playing tough guys.

8. Superhero says:

Dammit, McShane, THIS is the FX show you’re guest starring on? I want to see you on Justified, or at least Sons of Anarchy. Hell, I’d be mighty interested to see what kind of role Louis CK could up with for you. But this crap? Blah.

9. Whatever says:

Anything with Ian McShane in it is going to be fantastic !

10. Sheldon W. says:

It’s really too bad that Kings didn’t didn’t do better. It was terrific and McShane was terrific in it (as he’s been in practically everything he’s done since Lovejoy!).

I was already looking forward to American Horror Story: Asylum, but now I’m really stoked!

11. Bob says:

I still miss Deadwood.

12. John says:

Bring back Deadwood. Why do American TV studios treat audiences with contempt. They should finish what they start. Any way good for AHS asylum. Lovejoy is fab.

13. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for supplying