Horror Story Taps Deadwood's Ian McShane to 'Tussle' With Jessica Lange

Get More: Casting News

Ian McShaneThe ensemble for American Horror Story: Asylum continues to get bigger, and better.

The latest addition to the FX spookfest, which opens its second chapter next Wednesday: British actor Ian McShane, who during his run on HBO’s Deadwood won a Golden Globe and earned an Emmy nomination.

VIDEO | New American Horror Story: Asylum Trailer Boasts Real (and Real Creepy) Footage!

Horror Story cocreator Ryan Murphy announced the casting via Twitter on Wednesday, teasing that McShane’s character will “tussle” with the mental institution head/nun being played by Emmy/Globe/SAG Award winner Jessica Lange. No further details on his role were immediately made available.

RELATED | American Horror Story: Asylum — Watch the First Five Minutes!

In addition to his run as Deadwood‘s Al Swearengen, McShane’s Stateside TV credits include NBC’s Kings and Starz’s Pillars of the Earth miniseries.

Comments (21)

• great actor, great casting

Comment by Mafalda Neto – October 10, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do I have to watch season one to know what is going on?

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – October 10, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. It’s a whole different story. But you should watch season 1 anyway cause it’s awesome.

Comment by Isaac – October 10, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no you dont have to watch season 1 to understand season 2. It only has some actors from season 1 but in different roles. Supposedly every season will be a new story with new characters.

Comment by Jake – October 10, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Love Ian McShane!

Comment by DL – October 10, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any working actor left who hasn’t been cast in AHS yet?

Comment by Scott – October 10, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark Pellegrino. Once he’s cast, he’ll be on every TV show ever.

Comment by Teag – October 10, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS!!! And Mark Pellegrino is AWESOME!!

Comment by Curly Girly – October 11, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please NO, I can’t stand Mark Pellegrino and I’d appreciate it if he didn’t ruin yet another show I adore!

Comment by Rain – October 11, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent! This puts him on FX which is a step closer to being reunited with Olyphant on Justified.

Comment by Dee – October 10, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what has mark and timothy been in together?

Comment by Jeri – October 10, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s good to see Ian McShane around again, I’m still a bit irritated that Deadwood was never closed out properly, it was a great show!

Comment by Kevin in CT – October 10, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh, the casting fairy heard the wish I made on that shooting star!!! That’s so awesome!! But I’m suddenly sad now, thinking about how much I miss Deadwood. :( I hope he’s doing an American accent on the show. His real-life British accent has never sounded all that tough to me. And I like Ian best when he’s playing tough guys.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 10, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit, McShane, THIS is the FX show you’re guest starring on? I want to see you on Justified, or at least Sons of Anarchy. Hell, I’d be mighty interested to see what kind of role Louis CK could up with for you. But this crap? Blah.

Comment by Superhero – October 10, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot on!! He’d be perfect as a contemporary of Clay’s, maybe as the president of another MC?

Comment by Kevin in CT – October 11, 2012 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything with Ian McShane in it is going to be fantastic !

Comment by Whatever – October 10, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really too bad that Kings didn’t didn’t do better. It was terrific and McShane was terrific in it (as he’s been in practically everything he’s done since Lovejoy!).

I was already looking forward to American Horror Story: Asylum, but now I’m really stoked!

Comment by Sheldon W. – October 10, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still miss Deadwood.

Comment by Bob – October 11, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Deadwood. Why do American TV studios treat audiences with contempt. They should finish what they start. Any way good for AHS asylum. Lovejoy is fab.

Comment by John – October 20, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for supplying
    this info.

Comment by http://www.nikon-af-lenses.co.uk – May 14, 2013 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post