ABC Family's Secret Life to End After Season 5

Get More: Cancellations, News

The secret teenage angst is coming to an end.

ABC Family’s The Secret Life of the American Teenager will sign off after the upcoming Season 5, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Bunheads Exclusive: Sibling Dancers to Diversify Season 1 Ensemble

The drama, which premiered in 2008, will premiere its 12-episode final season in March.

In August, ABC Family canceled the ratings-challenged Jane by Design while renewing Switched at Birth, Melissa & Joey, Baby Daddy and ordering more episodes of Bunheads. Pretty Little Liars was also recently picked up for a fourth season.

Are you sad to see Secret Life end?

Comments (37)

• I hate that I know this, but it’s already been airing it’s final season. Those 12 episodes in March are the second half of season 5. Also there’s going to be an episode at christmas.

Comment by madhatter360 – October 9, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After her performance in the descendants, that girl needs to be in more movies. She’s got some real talent, just needs good writing and direction.

Comment by dalunt – October 9, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah – five seasons is a good run for a show, so congrats to them on getting that far, but it’s high time to set Shailene Woodley free and let her be amazing and famous.

Comment by wordsmith – October 9, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed.

Comment by Bee – October 9, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree. She was fantastic in The Decendents. She’s got a long career ahead of her. Hopefully, she’ll pick some great roles for herself.

Comment by big cheddar – October 9, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have kept Kyle XY. This show is probably the worst written show on TV now. The actors need so much better. Adios!

Comment by yall – October 9, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I AGREE!! KYLW XY IS THE BEST SHOW ABC FAMILY EVER AIRED!! Well, that and Greek

Comment by Kris – October 9, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m still missing “Greek” too!

I always felt secret life was the lowest quality show on abc family’s lineup. Glad it’s moving on and making room for “bunheads”

Comment by Tommy – October 9, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this show has the worst acting I’ve ever seen. I like the show but the acting sucks. Sorry to see it go.

Comment by Tina – March 13, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, about time! I’m still angry that Kyle XY was canceled, but this dumb show was kept.

Comment by Kassie – October 9, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness.

Comment by Sam – October 9, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God that this horrible show is ending!

Comment by tvaddict – October 9, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finally! that show is awful.

Comment by Elyse – October 9, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where have I been? I didn’t realize Jane By Design was canned.

Comment by Me – October 9, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still cranky about it.

Comment by Jen – October 9, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too!! I loved that show!

Comment by Helen – October 10, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i am cranky too. i refuse to watch any more bunheads because they canceled JBD and renewed it.

Comment by Elyse – October 10, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to lovelove this show but the writers just did an awful job. They bring the characters forward as growing teens and then regress them n its like come on! Lets get real here.

Comment by bean – October 9, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season one was really good. Season two kinda sucked but had occasional flashes of the good season one. Season 3 and 4 were absolutely atrocious. Season 5 has been atrocious as well, except for the Jack storyline in the last few aired episodes. That was very well done.

Comment by Jk – October 9, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Couldn’t have said it better

Comment by Ram510 – October 9, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My thoughts exactly

Comment by paula – October 9, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longggg overdue…this show’s crap…Kyle XY was awesome and they cancel it for that crap!

Comment by A.D. – October 9, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knew this was coming.

Comment by Esaul – October 9, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly can’t believe it last 5 seasons. It was only decent season 1. By the 2 nd the writing was terrible. I thought that some of the actors were good, especially for the awful writing and I hope they make it in other projects.

Comment by Courtney – October 9, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good get rid of of this & bring back Jane By Design

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 9, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad to see it go simply because it gave us some very entertaining clip commentary on “The Soup” :p.

Seriously, though, sorry to the fans who liked this show.

Comment by Angela – October 10, 2012 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still upset about Lincoln Heights being cancelled.

Comment by Renee – October 10, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god finally. I’m so tired of this show.. There is way to much stuff going on at any one time.. And it’s depressing.. And repetitive. Good bye.

Comment by Danielle – October 10, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there’s only so many times they can make every character pregnant before it starts to get old i guess.

Comment by yoyoyoyo – October 10, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked greek and Kyle xy, but my FAVORITE canceled too soon abc family show is The Middleman!!

Comment by leah – October 10, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget Kyle XY or Greek (Loved both), I miss WILDFIRE more!! haha

Comment by Olivia – October 10, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im sad to c secret life is signing off but I guess it had to happen. :( Im upset that they took jane by design off air. Boo!!! Im glad woodley is getin out there. Im gona miss that show.

Comment by someone – October 11, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOO I DONT WANT IT TO END ONLY PEOPLE WHO ARENT FACED BY THESE SITUATIONS DONT UNDERSTAND:(((

Comment by cutie – October 31, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god just what we didn’t need a show that glorified teenage pregnancy

Comment by wilmbear – November 1, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As bad as Secret Life is, it still makes you anxious to see what happens in every next episode. But, I mostly just watch it for the people who star in it. I love Shailene Woodley. She’s a very lovely and very sweet girl, and she’s brightened up so many dark aspects of my life, so I feel sad that I won’t be seeing her every week anymore. But I’m certainly happy that she’s moving on to more major parts. My other favorites are Darren and Megan. I think they’re just wonderful people. I pretty much love almost everyone on Secret Life. Because when you spend so much time watching certain people on the small screen, it feels like they’ve become your family. So for that reason, I guess I will miss the show. But I wish them all the best, and hope to see them in other features in the near future.

Comment by Joey – January 25, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post