FX's Louie Won't Return Until Spring 2014, as Louis C.K. Is Granted an Extended Hiatus

Louie HiatusLouis C.K. has asked FX for a laugh break, and as such, Season 4 of Louie — which he writes, produces, directs, stars in and edits — will not hit the airwaves until 2014, the Emmy-winning funnyman announced on Tuesday.

The extended hiatus, C.K. said in a conference call with reporters, will allow him time to deliver the very best Season 4 (which he envisions as the start of a new “trilogy”), as well as spend a proper amount of time on his stand-up career.

RELATED | FX Is Adapting the Coen Brothers’ Fargo for TV

Season 3 of Louie ended on Sept. 27, and typically the series launches new seasons every June. C.K.’s plan is to start shooting new episodes in September or October of 2013, to begin airing in May 2014.

Are you disappointed by this news? Or do you recognize that the writer/director/producer/actor/editor deserves mayyyybe just a little time to breathe?

1. Alan says:

thats the single longest hiatus i’ve ever seen. that will be a horrible wait for fans of the show. hopefully fx won’t give up on it sometime in between (the first thought that popped into my head). at the least this will give me a chance to catch up on it since it is apparently really good.

2. maria says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. TV Gord says:

I’d rather have another great season in 2014 than a run-of-the-mill one next year.

• Rob says:

Agreed. Also, the format of the show’s makes it an unusual hybrid of sitcom and observational/sketch comedy, so an extended hiatus won’t force the audience to be tormented by dangling plot threads the same way it is for more serialized shows.

4. Leah says:

I’ll definetly miss the show, but jeeeez, the man deserves a break. I’ll still be here when it comes back.

5. I definitely agree that the break is deserved given the scope of his duties on the show. Honestly, I thought the majority of season 3 was a bit of a letdown, so hopefully the break gives him some good ideas for next season.

6. Miffy says:

Better to let the man – who wears many hats on his show – have the time necessary to create the episodes. You work too hard at just one thing, you burn out.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

I won’t lie, I’m really bummed. There are very few comedies I get excited about these days. I don’t want him to get burned out, but that is an extremely long break.

8. Tom Dodson says:

Growing up on British TV I am used to large gaps between seasons. (Can you say COUPLES and FAWLTY TOWERS?)

Whatever it takes to get the best possible season!

9. Superhero says: