Anna Torv Talks About 'Tricky, Complicated' Fringe Reunions, 'Amber Burn' and the Big Finale

Fringe Final SeasonWhile Fringe fans can find solace in the fact that they’ve only scratched the surface of the final season, Anna Torv is dealing with mixed feelings as she crosses the halfway point in filming.

“We’re just about to finish Episode 6, so it’s all a bit, ‘Whew!’” the actress shared with TVLine from the show’s Vancouver set. “You remember how it goes quick and slow at the same time.”

RELATED | Fringe‘s Swan Song ‘Is About Family, Emotion’… and Things That May Blow Your Mind

Whereas previous Fringe seasons asked Torv to tackle dual roles and/or play an Olivia who never knew Peter, the nut she has to crack this final go-round involves the navigation of two delicate relationships: Liv’s reunion with her daughter Etta, now a grown woman, and her possible reconciliation with Peter, from who she separated, emotionally and physically, after their toddler daughter was abducted by Observers.

As much as Torv looked forward to getting her own reunion scene with Etta (after sitting out last season’s “Letters of Transit”), playing that coming together of mother and daughter – the two of them practically contemporaries — was nonetheless “tough,” she shares. “I was like, OK, I’ve got to try and find little moments where I can see the little girl in her, Fringe Final Seasonbut in the same breath I’m still meeting this woman.

“Georgina [Haig] and I at the beginning talked it out a bit, but we didn’t want to overthink it,” Torv continues. Surprisingly humble given the powerful on-screen result – which she had yet to watch herself at the time we spoke — she says, “It’s one of the trickiest relationships I’ve played, and I don’t know that I got it [right].”

RELATED | Fringe Season 5 Premiere Recap: Three Years, One Month and Five Days

And then there’s Peter (played by Joshua Jackson). As established in the season opener, Olivia’s husband, in the wake of Henrietta’s abduction, elected to stay in Boston and continue searching for their little girl, while Olivia trekked to New York City to enlist in the greater fight to bring down those who forced this loss upon her. And while the parents addressed that rift briefly in the premiere, Torv says there remains “a whole bunch of stuff” for the pair to work through. “It runs a lot deeper than that [one conversation], so it sort of has to come up again – all amongst saving the world!” she says. “It’s a complicated situation, because again, we don’t know yet what all happened before ambering ourselves.”

(Speaking of her character’s “frozen” state and emergence from same, Torv is a bit chagrined about bringing the tan she acquired from an extended summer getaway to Maui to her first scenes as Olivia. “I’m now back to my normal color, but for a little while I was like, ‘Uh-oh!’” the Aussie beauty laughs. “I hadn’t gone away for a bit, and you forget how damn white you get…. Fringe Final SeasonThe crew was laughing about that as well, that the amber had ‘rubbed off on my face.’”)

RELATED | Fringe Video: Vengeful Etta Needs Parental Guidance, Walter Wants His Lab Back

Turning to the more tangible matters at hand: In Episode 2, airing tonight at 9/8c, Walter, waylaid by his brutal, memory-muddying interrogation by Captain Windmark, will resolve himself to get back to his Harvard lab – which all these years later of course is no longer “his.” Does this mean he’s returning to his former self, as hinted in the close of the premiere? “I would think there’s hope,” Torv teases. “That is what our show kind of holds onto, that there’s always hope.”

Being halfway through filming Fringe‘s farewell run, Torv was extra careful not to reveal any spoilers, but instead promised “a lot of callbacks” to previous seasons, “throwbacks to cases, throwbacks to people,” and futuristic food stuffs even more foul (fowl?) than “egg sticks.”

One thing she was willing to share was her prediction that while “there will be some prices to pay” as Olivia, Peter, Walter at all wage war against the Observers, viewers will come away from Episode 13 with something resembling a happy ending. At least in Fringe terms.

“In film, you can have sad endings – like, ‘Oh well, it could’ve been’ – but with television you put so much time into these people that when you do finally say goodbye, you should be satisfied. Not necessarily happy, but not heartbroken.

“Then again, this is Fringe,” she concedes. “We’ve sort of turned things on their head the whole way through.”

1. Sandy says:

I like what she says about the possibility of a happy ending. This is Fringe. It’s a hopeful show so I see that kind of ending too.
    Really looking forward to seeing some flashbacks to what happen between P/O and what exactly happen to Etta

• Sareeta says:

Yes! I want a happy ending, too. It’s surprising that Anna felt weird about meeting the grown up Etta. I thought her reaction was beautiful and I definitely teared up. Etta’s reaction was stiff, but we’ll see how to all plays out.

2. Hana says:

I wonder if Olivia knows about baby Henry? and what she thinks about that?

3. celine says:

One thing is bothering me. Etta was separated from her parents at the age of 3 but 20 years later she remembers who her parents were and who she is.How many of you guys remember what happened to you when you were only 3?Also I want to know more about her abduction, did the observers raise her? How long did they have her? How come they didn’t brain wash her so she would join them? I know she can hide her thoughts from them but if brain wash wasn’t possible they could have killed her. Being Olivia’s Peter’s daughter they had to know she would join the resistance right?

• gossip2010 says:

I don’t think that she remembers, I believe that she’s discovered who were her parents but i don’k know how, we’ll have to wait and see the flashbacks

• JustMe says:

I just watched the last of Alphas & it was like reading the beginning of a great book, only a TV show with great actors… TV is starting to really suck… almost all BS, “Reality” (scripted, or at least messed with) shows… I’m ready to cancel cable… What are they going to replace Alphas & Fringe with??? Sad to see intelligent shows go the way of “The 4400″, “Eureka” & so many others. Also, these really short, 12 episode seasons are ridiculous. By the time you get to the next season, you have to watch a marathon to remind you what happened in detailed shows.

TV isn’t what it used to be!

• Tinath says:

She doesn’t remember, it’s mentioned that she later finds out after her parents who ADOPTED her.
      It’s later said, remember?

4. AnGeL says:

I am sure they will show us her abduction story….
    I am thinking that etta has inhereted some abilities from her mother as oliv was treated with cortixifan… therefor as we saw etta can block the obserbers from entering her thought…. dhe might have other abilities which helped her to servive all these years.

• Hana says:

don’t forget she’s a cross-universe baby also! Her daddy is red and her mama is blue :-)

• celine says:

I thought Walter said that there would be no traces of cortixifan in Olivia, that she would be normal with no abitilies…

• MA says:

He said something like “mostly” or “maybe.” I don’t think Olivia will have powers (I think I read that someplace), but that doesn’t mean her baby didn’t have some residual effects.

• Temperence says:

All of her eggs got heavily dosed during all of this, so it’s not at all strange to think that Etta (or any other kids Olivia has) will be exceptional.

5. Julie says:

Amber Burn….enough said!!!! XD

6. colossus says:

I just love this woman. :)

7. Drew says:

“Olivia, Peter, Walter at all wage war against the Observers,”

Would it kill the people in the media to mention Astrid in one of these articles? She’s been part of the group forever. She’s like the adopted little sister of the group, always at the hospital with them, always taking care of Walter. She was ambered with them. She’s waging war with them. She’s not a glorified extra, she is a key part of this dynamic and she never gets any love!

• MA says:

Right?! Everyone just forgets about Astrid. She’s part of the family too!!

• Randy says:

Man I couldn’t have said it any better. Astrid, the character has a HUGE heart and it doesn’t seem anyone nurture’s it. Well said… I like both Astrid’s and always have.

8. Chris says:

Etta’s not just Olivia’s daughter, she’s Peter’s too, and some of her good qualities and abilities come from him too.
    It’s too bad that pain is the only emotion Joel finds interesting to write, it would have been nice to have this season with Peter and Olivia happy instead of tormented up until the last minute–for that reason I am glad this is the last season, to have them split apart and maimed every year has gotten really old.

• Hana says:

Because happiness is not very interesting dramatically. Pain IS interesting. Do you want endless scenes of them having corny picnics on the grass, going to the cinema together, and going to (gack) street fairs? I mean, what do you seriously suggest?

I can’t understand why anyone would find that interesting to watch. Maybe writers of (horrible) fanfic find that fascinating for some bizarre reason, but I like to see characters tested and put through their paces.

9. MA says:

“Surprisingly humble given the powerful on-screen result – which she had yet to watch herself at the time we spoke — she says, ‘It’s one of the trickiest relationships I’ve played, and I don’t know that I got it [right].’”

Ohhhhh, Anna…You (and Georgina) most definitely got it right. That was probably the most touching scene of the entire episode.

10. Carrie says:

The season premiere was awesome. I can’t wait for tonight’s episode!

11. Lorin says:

If Etta was all the time in the script which reason of baby Henry?

• Nan says:

September explained that – Henry was born to the wrong Olivia so Henry was not predicted accident and the timeline was changed to erase that mistake so Peter could be with the right Olivia and the right child would be born because they are all important to September (probably to resit the rest of Observers)

12. fatot says:

I can’t believe this is their final season! I love Fringe so much. Anna Torv is such a beautiful woman and talented Olivia is one of the Most Awesome Characters on TV

13. Sharifah says:

I agree. Anna is beautiful and talented. Gonna miss her & the rest.

14. Joe says:

I can’t believe the jerks at fox is KILLING the best show they had in 20 yeras. I will miss them all, mostly Anna she is HOT !!!

15. Randy says:

3 seasons is not enough… and it’s especially disheartening that a show so brillant is being cancelled to make room for more main-stream garbage. Fringe has the potential to go 10 seasons… it’s one of a kind and I hope that, if there won’t be a tv series, someone will take over and create ongoing novels. It would be a shame if the team didn’t have another adventure or two. I know I’d buy the books lol. ~Randy

16. Randy says:

I meant 5 seasons are not enough… should probably get another cup of coffee.