Exclusive

True Blood Exclusive: Rutger Hauer Joins Cast as Regular -- What's His Connection to Sookie?

Rutger Hauer True BloodTrue Blood has made its first major Season 6 hire, and it’s pretty bloody fangtastic.

Acting vet Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) is joining the HBO smash as a series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | True Blood Boss Confirms — [Spoiler] Is Really Dead

Hauer will play Macklyn, a mysterious and sinister figure with deep ties to Sookie and Jason.

RELATED | The Real Reason True Blood Stuck a Pin in Sookie and Alcide

Hauer is well known for his portrayal of Blade Runner‘s Roy Batty, a renegade robot trying to evade capture in Ridley Scott’s classic sci-fi film. But the Dutch actor has a varied resume that includes parts in movies like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Batman Begins and Sin City and guest roles in TV’s Smallville and Alias. In 1988, he won a Golden Globe for his work in the TV movie Escape From Sobibor.

True Blood‘s sixth season is slated to premiere in June.

1. I was hoping he’d be Warlow

• Hmm. says:

If he’s not Warlow, I’ll be seriously surprised. “A mysterious and sinister figure with deep ties to Sookie and Jason?” Obvious. I mean look at the guy: he looks exactly what I picture Warlow.

• Mary B says:

Yep, I was right there with you. This character isn’t even in the books just like Warlow isn’t. Super excited he will be a regular. The article was listing some of his credits but I remember another one: He was in the mini series or TV movie way back when called “The Third Reich”, He was very good in it….I also remember him from Blade Runner and I think there was some other gig he did, but I can’t remember the name for when he first caught my attention. Kudos to HBO for getting a supreme actor on the show.

• Scribe says:

Man I remember that show! Yes he was very good. My personal favourite is LadyHawke.

• Nisaa says:

Lady Hawke it is! Hands down!

• Katie says:

YAY for you Nissa!!!! Rutger truly shined like a brilliant (and charming) star in that movie and for those of us who love medieval fantasies with gentle, romantic themes, then Ladyhawke is #1! It breaks my heart to see him take this role because he has never lost “That Lovin’ Feelin’ “, if ya know what I mean. He may be 68, but he’s still one sexy guy!!

• Kate says:

The Hitcher. The original not the remake. He was so creepy…..

• Cyndi Moore says:

He stared in a great older movie LadyHawk it also stared a very youg Mattew Brodwick and Michel Phiffer. He played Lavar a Knight that turns into a wolf at night.

• Rhonda says:

I say WARLOW, but, he could be Sookie’s Grandfather Niall.

• Hank says:

He could be Warlow. I don’t think they want to announce that they’ve casted Warlow, because that means we’ll see him this season which is a pretty big spoiler. Maybe he changed his name and he really is Warlow.

2. Dizzle says:

It cannot be a coincidence he’s blond as well. I’m guessing we’re getting to meet some more relatives.

3. tjj50 says:

If he’s a character from the books, I think I know who he is.

4. Toni says:

I think he will end up being Warlow. He’s too perfect for that role.

5. Craig says:

Definitely has to be a code name for Warlow

6. I was thinking the same thing, hes really warlow.

7. Ali610 says:

Lothos? Buffy Crossover!

8. Rrrrrr says:

Pleasseeeee tell me that he’s the show alternative to Niall?

9. Claire says:

Hopefully the show will majorly improve next year. S5 was a dud!

10. Pat Altstatt says:

I am hoping Niall too, and I agree last season strayed too far from the books and it was hard to keep up. All seasons before I watched HBO-E and then HBO-W so I could see it twice. Last season, once was enough.

11. Sarah says:

This is probably Warlow. One of the episodes referred to Warlow as “M. Warlow”

12. Kevin says:

Isn’t Warlow’s first initial an M? On that old scroll that the fairies had it was signed M. Warlow… so i think he will be playing Warlow

13. appler says:

Warlow! No question about that.

14. Jesse says:

is this the same type of “regular” as Christopher Meloni was supposed to be? If TB pulls another bait and switch like that, they can kiss A LOT of fans goodbye!

15. Leah says:

No one by that name in the books, too evilish and not beautiful enough to be Niall. More than likely a made up HBO character for some added drama. Could possibly turn out to be Warlow I guess, but I don’t really see that as an option either. And I really don’t get why every one is bashing season 5! It was way more entertaining than season 4, and better thought out. As for the books, I like them but HBO does a much better job in my opinion. Ms. Harris does not write sex scenes very well, and the romance stuff sounds like she pulled it right from a romance novel instead of her own mind. Don’t get me wrong she did make up a nice story line and drama but HBO made it better. Except when Eric loses his memory. I think they changed him back in a stupid way, and too soon. At least in the books we got lots of sweet, sincere Eric. HBO ruined season 4 with their own story, the one time they should have went by the book. I guess it doesn’t matter though, because I will still watch the show religiously, and appreciate Eric Northman every second I can. There’s just something about a strong sexy viking that gets the blood pumping, HA HA!

• James says:

The only thing I think was way better in the books and should be on the tv series was the vampire summit and the story of Sophie Anne (bu they killed her!). I don’t have a problem with the series changes and I also enjoy the books, but last season was kinda boring for TB. The whole Authority thing felt a little over the top (yeah, I know, it’s True Blood, but still) and I felt the writers didn’t know how to wrap it up at the end…

16. James says:

Do you really think Warlow is the equivalent of Niall? I don’t know, I’d love to see that, but True Blood made it clear that characters of the books don’t work the same way here… And Marlow seemed kinda evil while Niall is good. Besides, now that series Claudine is dead, Claude is not as relevant as it is in the books, and Dermot is nowhere to be found, how Warlow (probably “Niall”) would fit into the storyline? My guess is a complete new character created only for the show… But it’s an interesting one, I must admit.

17. Lisa says:

The article says he’s going to play a sinister character and a caption says hes ‘really dead ‘. That is not Niall!

• Jessica says:

Sweetie Des Arts? Calvin Norris? Tara, Franklin Mott, Crystal Norris, Russel, Sophie Ann. All characters from the books who were completely different in the show.

All the show needs to do is say that he is a fairy elder and that he is the great great great grandfather to the Stackhouse children. That’s it, and he’ll be the shows equivalent of Niall. I’m not saying he is, but it’s possible.

18. Pam says:

I’d think he would be Niall from the books..I think Bill is now Warlow…But it’s just my guess.

19. Thanks Michael. great scoop, I am guessing either Warlow or Godric brother Remus.

20. sami says:

Hello people it says “Hauer will play Macklyn”
    Not warlow.
    Just saying

21. But it could be a red herring calling him Macklyn.

22. Don’t even know if I’ll be watching season 6! This last season was so disappointing and hardly worth watching! I was happy as hell with the first season as they pretty much followed the book but oh my have they gone off the deep end. Shape up true blood and start either writing a real story-line or lose another viewer!

23. Katie H says:

Anna was pregnant during Season 5, so that may have something to do with why it was filmed the way it was.

24. D says:

I’ve read 11 of the 12 books so far and in those 12 books Warlow is not a character. Of course Charlaine Harris does not write for the show so who knows what characters they are going to come up with. I wish they would stick closer to the books as they are wonderful!

25. Sean says:

Hopefully they won’t screw him over and give him a milquetoast character / writing like they did with Christopher Meloni!

26. BrianR says:

Yes please Anna get back into season 4 shape and my eyes will go wow again.

27. shlee says:

after the shifter storyline being (i believe) the only aspect of book 5 featured in season 5, i’m assuming the writers haven’t even read books 6-12. WARLOW

28. Kelly Solomon says:

Going with Warlow. If you go back and watch, listen to his voice. I’d be really surprised if he’s not Warlow.

29. The Cats Mother says:

There is a character in the books called LOCHlyn (sp?) as in Lochlyn and Neive, who is one of the evil fae, maybe that’s where they’re going with this?? I could see RH playing that character, he’s great at evil/scary! That storyline’s from about book 8 or 9 though, but saying that, that’s about the same (bookwise) time period as when Sookie finds out she’s part fae, which she already knows in the series, so it would fit. I agree though he could be this M Warlow, character though, although I got the impression that he was a vamp, not a fae, and his name was maybe a twist on the Waldo character from the books?? I’m probably barking up completely the wrong tree though! Lol

30. James says:

Anyone else remember that he played BARLOW, the lead VAMP in Salem’s Lot…weird

31. Scripter says:

I think it’s time I buy the books! :-)

I had never heard of Charlaine Harris or the Sookie Stackhouse novels before the TV Series, True Blood. I LOVE TB!
    Sounds silly but…
    I’ve never gotten over the bad casting of the book-to-movie, Interview With the Vampire.
    Love Anne Rich, loved the book, loved the movie – hated the casting of the character, Lestat.
    Off to Amazon I go………… :-)

Sandy aka: Scripter
    New Orleans / Pensacola, Florida

P.S. I thought my favorite Vampire, Alexander Skarsgard, was fabulous in the movie, Battleship. SO HANDSOME! :-)
    Looking forward to seeing him in a major movie role soon. Now he would have made a fabulous Lestat. :-)

32. Sam Scott says:

Maybe Pee-Wee Herman can join as another vampire again?

33. Fran says:

Rutger Hauer also starred with Michelle Pfeiffer. He played a knight and I loved it. He and Alexander Skarsgard are the only 2 blonds I ever really cared for on the big or little screens. So excited to see him on TB. I get them both.

34. maria says:

yo creo que la nueva incorporacion sera sin duda el abuelo de sookie que opinais?

35. Tim says:

Macklyn is his first name… and Warlows name is M. Warlow…so maybe he is Macklyn Warlow? im pumped

36. Elizabeth says:

I wonder if they might be combining Warlow with a little bit of Niall from the books. I think there’s some unexpected twist in there. When I first found out Rutger was in the new season, my first thought, like so many went to Niall.

37. Shane says:

He also did the movies blind justice and the hitcher, he was great in that! Blade runner of course is a classic!