True Blood Exclusive: Rutger Hauer Joins Cast as Regular — What's His Connection to Sookie?

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Rutger Hauer True BloodTrue Blood has made its first major Season 6 hire, and it’s pretty bloody fangtastic.

Acting vet Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) is joining the HBO smash as a series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | True Blood Boss Confirms — [Spoiler] Is Really Dead

Hauer will play Macklyn, a mysterious and sinister figure with deep ties to Sookie and Jason.

RELATED | The Real Reason True Blood Stuck a Pin in Sookie and Alcide

Hauer is well known for his portrayal of Blade Runner‘s Roy Batty, a renegade robot trying to evade capture in Ridley Scott’s classic sci-fi film. But the Dutch actor has a varied resume that includes parts in movies like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Batman Begins and Sin City and guest roles in TV’s Smallville and Alias. In 1988, he won a Golden Globe for his work in the TV movie Escape From Sobibor.

True Blood‘s sixth season is slated to premiere in June.

Comments (68)

• I was hoping he’d be Warlow

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If he’s not Warlow, I’ll be seriously surprised. “A mysterious and sinister figure with deep ties to Sookie and Jason?” Obvious. I mean look at the guy: he looks exactly what I picture Warlow.

Comment by Hmm. – October 4, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I thought, to the point that on Facebook I made the bold comment that I didn’t even need to read the article to know that he’s playing Warlow… but then I read the article and deleted the post, heh.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 4, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He could be the grandfather Faery King guy from the books (or likely a variation on that – since the name is different). But I like if he is Warlo too.. cause I think Warlo is a Faery and not a vampire like everyone thinks.

Comment by Dark Defender – October 4, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He will be sookies great great grandfather. Nialle. Not warloe. His appearance .matches tje book description of Nialle.

Comment by traci926@gmail.com – May 20, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I was right there with you. This character isn’t even in the books just like Warlow isn’t. Super excited he will be a regular. The article was listing some of his credits but I remember another one: He was in the mini series or TV movie way back when called “The Third Reich”, He was very good in it….I also remember him from Blade Runner and I think there was some other gig he did, but I can’t remember the name for when he first caught my attention. Kudos to HBO for getting a supreme actor on the show.

Comment by Mary B – October 4, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Man I remember that show! Yes he was very good. My personal favourite is LadyHawke.

Comment by Scribe – October 5, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lady Hawke it is! Hands down!

Comment by Nisaa – October 5, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • YAY for you Nissa!!!! Rutger truly shined like a brilliant (and charming) star in that movie and for those of us who love medieval fantasies with gentle, romantic themes, then Ladyhawke is #1! It breaks my heart to see him take this role because he has never lost “That Lovin’ Feelin’ “, if ya know what I mean. He may be 68, but he’s still one sexy guy!!

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 09:12 AM PDT
      • The Hitcher. The original not the remake. He was so creepy…..

Comment by Kate – October 5, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He stared in a great older movie LadyHawk it also stared a very youg Mattew Brodwick and Michel Phiffer. He played Lavar a Knight that turns into a wolf at night.

Comment by Cyndi Moore – February 26, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I say WARLOW, but, he could be Sookie’s Grandfather Niall.

Comment by Rhonda – October 6, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He could be Warlow. I don’t think they want to announce that they’ve casted Warlow, because that means we’ll see him this season which is a pretty big spoiler. Maybe he changed his name and he really is Warlow.

Comment by Hank – December 5, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It cannot be a coincidence he’s blond as well. I’m guessing we’re getting to meet some more relatives.

Comment by Dizzle – October 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he’s a character from the books, I think I know who he is.

Comment by tjj50 – October 4, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooo, I think I/m right there with you now that you mention it! It probably is…him…

Comment by Josh – October 4, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i never heard of him in the books…he would be perfect as her great grandfather niall..who is in the books..

Comment by noraS. – October 4, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Come on…we were trying to be cryptic and you go and ruin it! lol

Comment by Amanda – October 4, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that is what i was thinking, he seems to be an important character in the books. I have not read them all yet. the show is different in parts to the books and just as good.

Comment by crystal – October 4, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I think he is too, but I wonder if they’ll bring the other two and have ______ play a double role?

Comment by Amanda – October 4, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he will end up being Warlow. He’s too perfect for that role.

Comment by Toni – October 4, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely has to be a code name for Warlow

Comment by Craig – October 4, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking the same thing, hes really warlow.

Comment by Phillip auge (@DuronX2) – October 4, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lothos? Buffy Crossover!

Comment by Ali610 – October 4, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleasseeeee tell me that he’s the show alternative to Niall?

Comment by Rrrrrr – October 4, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was hoping!

Comment by Sean – October 4, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • was thinking that too.

Comment by noraS. – October 4, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the show will majorly improve next year. S5 was a dud!

Comment by Claire – October 4, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping Niall too, and I agree last season strayed too far from the books and it was hard to keep up. All seasons before I watched HBO-E and then HBO-W so I could see it twice. Last season, once was enough.

Comment by Pat Altstatt – October 4, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is probably Warlow. One of the episodes referred to Warlow as “M. Warlow”

Comment by Sarah – October 4, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Warlow’s first initial an M? On that old scroll that the fairies had it was signed M. Warlow… so i think he will be playing Warlow

Comment by Kevin – October 4, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Warlow! No question about that.

Comment by appler – October 4, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is this the same type of “regular” as Christopher Meloni was supposed to be? If TB pulls another bait and switch like that, they can kiss A LOT of fans goodbye!

Comment by Jesse – October 4, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree. I was disappointed by how little he was on the show!

Comment by Faster – March 28, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one by that name in the books, too evilish and not beautiful enough to be Niall. More than likely a made up HBO character for some added drama. Could possibly turn out to be Warlow I guess, but I don’t really see that as an option either. And I really don’t get why every one is bashing season 5! It was way more entertaining than season 4, and better thought out. As for the books, I like them but HBO does a much better job in my opinion. Ms. Harris does not write sex scenes very well, and the romance stuff sounds like she pulled it right from a romance novel instead of her own mind. Don’t get me wrong she did make up a nice story line and drama but HBO made it better. Except when Eric loses his memory. I think they changed him back in a stupid way, and too soon. At least in the books we got lots of sweet, sincere Eric. HBO ruined season 4 with their own story, the one time they should have went by the book. I guess it doesn’t matter though, because I will still watch the show religiously, and appreciate Eric Northman every second I can. There’s just something about a strong sexy viking that gets the blood pumping, HA HA!

Comment by Leah – October 4, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing I think was way better in the books and should be on the tv series was the vampire summit and the story of Sophie Anne (bu they killed her!). I don’t have a problem with the series changes and I also enjoy the books, but last season was kinda boring for TB. The whole Authority thing felt a little over the top (yeah, I know, it’s True Blood, but still) and I felt the writers didn’t know how to wrap it up at the end…

Comment by James – October 4, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you really think Warlow is the equivalent of Niall? I don’t know, I’d love to see that, but True Blood made it clear that characters of the books don’t work the same way here… And Marlow seemed kinda evil while Niall is good. Besides, now that series Claudine is dead, Claude is not as relevant as it is in the books, and Dermot is nowhere to be found, how Warlow (probably “Niall”) would fit into the storyline? My guess is a complete new character created only for the show… But it’s an interesting one, I must admit.

Comment by James – October 4, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The article says he’s going to play a sinister character and a caption says hes ‘really dead ‘. That is not Niall!

Comment by Lisa – October 4, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sweetie Des Arts? Calvin Norris? Tara, Franklin Mott, Crystal Norris, Russel, Sophie Ann. All characters from the books who were completely different in the show.

All the show needs to do is say that he is a fairy elder and that he is the great great great grandfather to the Stackhouse children. That’s it, and he’ll be the shows equivalent of Niall. I’m not saying he is, but it’s possible.

Comment by Jessica – October 4, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d think he would be Niall from the books..I think Bill is now Warlow…But it’s just my guess.

Comment by Pam – October 4, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Michael. great scoop, I am guessing either Warlow or Godric brother Remus.

Comment by Colleen Scott – October 4, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello people it says “Hauer will play Macklyn”
    Not warlow.
    Just saying

Comment by sami – October 4, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He signed the old faerie scroll “M. Warlow.” Macklyn Warlow?

Comment by DL – October 4, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hello Sami, people have been signed on to play characters with a specific name and those characters have used the name as a cover for who they really are. It happened in Batman Begins for example though there are many other ones.

Just saying

Comment by Klo – October 4, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But it could be a red herring calling him Macklyn.

Comment by Colleen Scott – October 4, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t even know if I’ll be watching season 6! This last season was so disappointing and hardly worth watching! I was happy as hell with the first season as they pretty much followed the book but oh my have they gone off the deep end. Shape up true blood and start either writing a real story-line or lose another viewer!

Comment by Denissa Dowell Mika – October 4, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna was pregnant during Season 5, so that may have something to do with why it was filmed the way it was.

Comment by Katie H – October 4, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read 11 of the 12 books so far and in those 12 books Warlow is not a character. Of course Charlaine Harris does not write for the show so who knows what characters they are going to come up with. I wish they would stick closer to the books as they are wonderful!

Comment by D – October 4, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully they won’t screw him over and give him a milquetoast character / writing like they did with Christopher Meloni!

Comment by Sean – October 4, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please Anna get back into season 4 shape and my eyes will go wow again.

Comment by BrianR – October 4, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after the shifter storyline being (i believe) the only aspect of book 5 featured in season 5, i’m assuming the writers haven’t even read books 6-12. WARLOW

Comment by shlee – October 4, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going with Warlow. If you go back and watch, listen to his voice. I’d be really surprised if he’s not Warlow.

Comment by Kelly Solomon – October 4, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a character in the books called LOCHlyn (sp?) as in Lochlyn and Neive, who is one of the evil fae, maybe that’s where they’re going with this?? I could see RH playing that character, he’s great at evil/scary! That storyline’s from about book 8 or 9 though, but saying that, that’s about the same (bookwise) time period as when Sookie finds out she’s part fae, which she already knows in the series, so it would fit. I agree though he could be this M Warlow, character though, although I got the impression that he was a vamp, not a fae, and his name was maybe a twist on the Waldo character from the books?? I’m probably barking up completely the wrong tree though! Lol

Comment by The Cats Mother – October 5, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else remember that he played BARLOW, the lead VAMP in Salem’s Lot…weird

Comment by James – October 5, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s time I buy the books! :-)

I had never heard of Charlaine Harris or the Sookie Stackhouse novels before the TV Series, True Blood. I LOVE TB!
    Sounds silly but…
    I’ve never gotten over the bad casting of the book-to-movie, Interview With the Vampire.
    Love Anne Rich, loved the book, loved the movie – hated the casting of the character, Lestat.
    Off to Amazon I go………… :-)

Sandy aka: Scripter
    New Orleans / Pensacola, Florida

P.S. I thought my favorite Vampire, Alexander Skarsgard, was fabulous in the movie, Battleship. SO HANDSOME! :-)
    Looking forward to seeing him in a major movie role soon. Now he would have made a fabulous Lestat. :-)

Comment by Scripter – October 5, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Pee-Wee Herman can join as another vampire again?

Comment by Sam Scott – October 5, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be so funny Sam as long as he has the same death scene which was hysterical.

Comment by Colleen Scott – October 5, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn! I was SO hoping to be the one to make this joke!

Comment by Joshua Bentley – October 5, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rutger Hauer also starred with Michelle Pfeiffer. He played a knight and I loved it. He and Alexander Skarsgard are the only 2 blonds I ever really cared for on the big or little screens. So excited to see him on TB. I get them both.

Comment by Fran – October 5, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yo creo que la nueva incorporacion sera sin duda el abuelo de sookie que opinais?

Comment by maria – October 21, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Macklyn is his first name… and Warlows name is M. Warlow…so maybe he is Macklyn Warlow? im pumped

Comment by Tim – November 14, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desmond Cataliades

Comment by Penny Wilson Bennett – December 3, 2012 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they might be combining Warlow with a little bit of Niall from the books. I think there’s some unexpected twist in there. When I first found out Rutger was in the new season, my first thought, like so many went to Niall.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 26, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He also did the movies blind justice and the hitcher, he was great in that! Blade runner of course is a classic!

Comment by Shane – July 2, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post