The Emmy-winning actor is set to join the Showtime family drama as Abraham, a sophisticated gay man who spends most of his time as a political activist, Showtime announced Tuesday.
Whitford’s other recent TV credits include Fox’s short-lived The Good Guys and a memorable stint on Parks and Recreation.
Shameless, meanwhile, launches its new season on Sunday, Jan. 13 at 9/8c.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Buster and Gob Bluth are (hopefully) about to be reunited on Up All Night — and it feels so good! Per TVGuide.com, Tony Hale — who currently co-stars on HBO’s Veep — will guest-star in an upcoming episode of the NBC comedy as Reagan’s super-flirty dentist. No word yet on whether the actor will share screentime with his Arrested Development bro Will Arnett. If they don’t, however, we’re confident that Gob would say something along the lines of: “NBC has made a huge mistake.”
• Kassie DePaiva will make “a brief return” to General Hospital as Todd’s ex Blair before the end of the year, TVLine has confirmed. The suds vet first broached the topic on her official blog, noting that “there is something coming up on the canvas for Blair.”
• 666 Park Avenue is opening up its doors this fall to The View co-host Whoopi Goldberg, EW.com reports. She’ll guest-star as a longtime Drake resident who uses hypnosis to help Jane understand the building’s supernatural nature.
• Pretty Little Liars/Revenge alum Robbie Amell has nabbed a recurring role in NBC’s midseason White House comedy 1600 Penn, EW.com reports. He’ll play a handsome (duh) but dimwitted young man who is actually very sweet.
• The Vampire Diaries has cast Paul Telfer (NCIS) as a rugged hunter who will appear in a Season 4 flashback episode. Per Alloy Entertainment’s site, the character has mysterious, possibly romantic ties to Rebekah.
• Alex O’Loughlin’s old Three Rivers co-star is Hawaii Five-0-bound. Per TV Guide Magazine, Daniel Henney will appear in a November episode as the ex-convict brother of Ian Anthony Dale’s Adam.
Which of today’s TVLine Items have you talking?