NCIS Aftermath: Even With Dearing Gone, There Will Be Concern for Gibbs and a Shaken-Up Abby

Get More: Previews

NCIS Pauley Perrette Mark HarmonHarper Dearing may be gone, but his terrorist treachery will not soon be forgotten by Gibbs and members of his NCIS team.

RELATED | Ratings: NCIS Returns Very Strong, With Second-Largest Premiere Ever

In the CBS drama’s Season 10 premiere, Gibbs (played by Mark Harmon) met up with Dearing for a tête-à-tête that was as intense was it was inevitable. “I knew I needed to get them alone, and I think we found an interesting way of doing it,” reflects showrunner Gary Glasberg. “If you go back and look at it, Mark only says one word in that entire scene. And you can only do something like that when you’re dealing with actors like Richard Schiff and Mark Harmon.”

Instead, Gibbs let his trusty knife do the talking, with a kill that was extremely up-close and personal — and likely expected, perhaps even counted on, by the man who wound up on the business end of it. “When Harper Dearing reached for his gun… interpret that as you will,” says Glasberg. “I think he knew exactly what was going to happen, from the minute Gibbs walked in.”

RELATED | NCIS Star Says ‘This Is the Year’ for Tony/Ziva — Plus: More Season 10 Preview

That Gibbs vanquished the Big Bad who put his “family” at risk, and that he did so in such an intimate way, will have his team keeping an eye on the boss man. Says Michael Weatherly, “The rest of us are watching Gibbs closely, throughout the whole season, because he seems to be identifying with victims and also assailants, and that is new to us.

“I think it started with Dr. Ryan (played by Jamie Lee Curtis) last year, when we were all looking at Gibbs, going, ‘What’s he doing?! You don’t get involved with a brain-gamer from the Defense Department!’” Weatherly recalls. “We thought, ‘He must be up to something.’ He wasn’t, so there’s concern for Gibbs. But I think Gibbs is doing work on himself. And Mark is such a great actor, you can really watch him plumb some new depths this year. That’s why I keep saying this is going to be the best season ever. It really feels like there’s a momentum.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line Confirms an NCIS Return

In this Tuesday’s episode (airing at 8/7c), a crisis counselor (played by Crossing Jordan‘s Steve Valentine) will take stock of the Navy yard explosion’s survivors, one of which has been plagued by nightmares. “Abby is the sensitive one — she feels the most pain and worries about everyone — so she’s really, really shaken up,” says portrayer Pauley Perrette. “There are some pretty amazing scenes between Abby and Steve Valentine’s character, where we’re trying to do the work. That also sort of leads into Abby being reunited with her brother (Daniel Louis Rivas) for some healing.”

Similarly, Perrette says that Abby’s BFF Carol (played by the actress’ own BFF, Meredith Eaton) likely will resurface this season. But in the end, those the forensic whiz can truly lean on are those she works with every day. “Of course, her family is the NCIS family,” Perrette reminds. “Everybody’s just trying to help each other out and mourn and move on.”

Comments (12)

• Can’t wait for the “Recovery” episode. I am glad Abby finally gets to deal with her family-issues :) This is going to be very interesting.

Comment by Svenja – October 2, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about some McAbby!

Comment by Mimi – October 2, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premiere was a very intense episode. I was surprised to see Gibbs use a knife, yet it showed him taking it with him when he left NCIS headquarters, so he obviously had it in mind all along. I’m looking forward (as ever) to seeing how this season plays out. But I never cared much for Dr. Samantha Ryan (even though I love Jamie Lee Curtis). My favorite for Gibbs has always been Colonel Mann.

Comment by Bella – October 2, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they would write in a part for Tea Leoni as a love interest for Gibbs.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they bring JLC back as Dr. Ryan in season 10. I thought they were tremendous together. So different in many ways but so much the same. They were a perfect match for each other.

Comment by Nancy – October 22, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Gibbs is the main character, but whenever they focus on him, the show really suffers…and for the love of God, JLC character was ****ing awful and made every scene with her last year nearly impossible to watch. Good riddance.

Comment by Brandon – October 2, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs is the heart of the show, it’s about the team sure, but Gibbs is the one who makes it happen. I love, LOVE every episode about him. I also always loved every McGee episode, except Penelope Papers.

Comment by Sunset – October 2, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they’re bringing Abby’s brother back. They barely touched on her family last season after saying they were going to go deeper. Maybe this time she’ll tell him who she is. Love this show!

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann – October 2, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs is what makes this show tick and mark harmon is an excellent actor. All the other members of this cast are perfect for their roles,but the heart of the show and the team is gibbs.

Comment by nicole – October 4, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I hope no one dies, gibbs mcgee tony ziva abbey duckey or plamer are really good actors I love this show. I feel really sorry for duckey and abbey from what I heard that season 10 is going to be sad :( but I can’t wait to see what happens between ziva and tony !!!! :)

Comment by katie – October 21, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate dr Ryan, she just sucks!!! Please let her die, please please! Gibbs is also mine :P *kidding* but still the woman acts terrible, i just can’t stand her. And i’m happy to hear the’re going deeper into Abbey’s family/past <3 that girl is the best!! Along with team Tiba. However Mcabbey stays my favorite. This show is just the best!!

Comment by Anouk – November 9, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I love Dr. Ryan; I hope she comes back (and stays) in Gibbs life. I don’t particularly care for Abby — she is too high maintenance and child-like.

Comment by Nancy Morrison – November 9, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post