Proud Peacock: NBC Wins Premiere Week for First Time in 9 Years, As All Network Rivals Dip

Buoyed by this fall’s top-rated freshman drama, Revolution, the always beefy Sunday Night Football and double helpings of The Voice, NBC topped all broadcast rivals this Premiere Week in the coveted 18-49 demo — a feat the Peacock network hasn’t pulled off solo since 2003.

Also working in NBC’s favor was Matthew Perry’s Go On, which stands as the season’s No. 2 new comedy (behind, ugh, ABC’s The Neighbors).

NBC was also the only broadcast network to improve its 18-49 rating year-over-year, rising 12 percent to an average of 2.9. ABC (averaging 2.2), CBS (2.4) and Fox (2.6) all experienced declines of at least 20 percent.

Of course, NBC is delivering that demo while placing No. 3 in total viewers, and far, far behind most-watched CBS — which is akin to batting .500 in two at-bats versus four. That said, the Peacock this Premiere Week passed Fox to escape fourth place (averaging 8.2 million viewers versus 6.9 million) and even nipped at ABC’s heels (8.3 mil).

In fact, NBC was the only broadcast network to see a gain in total audience, rising 9 percent from last year’s average of 7.5 mil. CBS (10.7 mil), ABC and Fox all dipped about 15 percent.

Among other Premiere Week superlatives:

* CBS boasted the two most watched newbies (in Vegas and Elementary), while ABC’s Last Resort placed a distant third. In the 18-49 demo, Elementary, Go On, Vegas and CBS’ Partners rounded out the Top 5, trailing Revolution.

* Among all programs, Modern Family (5.5) and The Big Bang Theory (5.0) were the Top 2 comedies in 18-49, while Grey’s Anatomy (4.4), NCIS (4.1) and Once Upon a Time (3.9) led the drama ranks. In total viewers, NCIS (20.5 million) and NCIS: LA (16.7 mil) led the drama pack, while Big Bang (15.7 mil) and Modern Family (14.4 mil) traded places.

1. tp says:

Good job Revolution!

2. David says:

Good for you, NBC! I never thought I’d say those words, lol.

3. Dean says:

Well done NBC. I don’t know how they did it (maybe because the always awesome Pellegrino added insanely better flow to the story), but in the third episode Revolution has proved itself and deserves to be the top-rated new drama. Its also easy to see why NBC gained while others dipped. Apart from Revolution and Go On which are both on NBC and ABC’s Last Resort (a victim of the time slot), none of the other new shows are must watch or compelling tv.

4. Alex says:

Excellent for NBC. They’re clearly on the road to recovery , but still have a long way to come…

5. Renee says:

I’m so glad NBC passed Fox. Fox deserves last place for chronically cancelling shows without giving them a real chance.

6. Constable Geneva says:

The Neighbors is the most watched new comedy?! What’s wrong with you, America?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Highest-rated as denoted above, but yes, it is also the most watched new comedy (9.2 million viewers).

• Michelle Kufs says:

HOW?? It’s terrible!

• tp says:

People had to watch it to know it was terrible. My guess is it won’t last long.

• ultimate troll says:

Well people had to watch to find that out didn’t they?

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Fear not – let’s see where Neighbors is once it moves to the 8:30pm/Wed slot following Middle. Suburgatory will get the 9:30pm post-Modern Family slot soon. I’m happy Jami Gertz is back on a weekly series, but having seen the premiere episode, I still don’t know where this series can go beyond the one-joke premise. This is a nice “family show” – maybe young children will love this show. Fantastic! But for 18-49 block? Let’s see how the numbers look in November.

• S. says:

You know, I thought I was going to hate it and that it was going to be totally stupid. And frankly it was, BUT it reminded me of Alf. It kind of made me smile a little bit because TV needs something for families like that show. There really isn’t anything on right now that parents can watch and kind of laugh at that kids would get too. Like I said, I just watched to see what it was. I have really fun memories of Alf from being a kid…heck I even still remember the asparagus song! (to this day my parents are thankful to that show for introducing 4 picky girls to that veggie) Maybe this silly stupid show could follow in its footsteps. Who knows.

7. wrstlgirl says:

Really to bad that more people aren’t watching The Last Resort. It has so much potential but I fear it’s already lost. Hopefully the numbers will come up this week. So happy that Revolution is doing well, it’s a nice change from all the crime dramas/doctor shows.

8. Ana says:

But seriously, if it wasn’t for football the results would be dramatically different. Should it even be included since its not original programming?

9. Gigi says:

I love REVOLUTION and enjoy GO ON very much! Perhaps switch GO ON to after The NEIGHBORS. I don’t watch NEIGHBORS but I think GO ON would do better in 9:30 time slot.

• Gem says:

Unfortunately Go On and The Neighbors are not even on the same network, NBC and ABC respectively, nor on the same night Tuesday versus Wednesday. Although pairing certain shows together sounds like the best idea ever, aka Community with Cougar Town, networks don’t play nice that way.

10. The Last Resort was a hot mess. Very confusing. Terrible time slot at 8pm on Thursday. I was hoping that this show would be good. It is not. A missed opportunity. Sad. I like the 2 lead actors but the script really let them down in a big way. What a mess!

• What were you confused by? Was it all the colors?

• Cal says:

Wouldn’t it be wise to give the series a few more episodes before you quit on it? There’s a lot of threads to the story. Of course it’s going to be confusing in the pilot, but it’ll all come together as time goes on. So tired of ‘entitled’ viewers who drop off after a pilot.

• Ally Oop says:

Lol, I sense sour grapes. Last Resort was awesome.

• Dean says:

The whole premise, rather than confusing was stupid and ridiculous, I understand you man. Nothing like this will ever happen in real life! Nuking the ocean, just 200 miles away and expecting to not see a single casualty and the resulting radiation poisoning is just unbelievable! But I still enjoyed the pilot episode – ‘Captain’ a lot. One of the best of the season.

11. Girl in md says:

Good for NBC my two new favorite shows of the season are on NBC GO ON and revolution don’t think I have given a DVR spot for any NBC show in a long time

12. Bob says:

Good for NBC. Guess they just needed a little ‘push’ from Comcast (and a whole new management team).

13. ben says:

Despite all the NBC bashing, I’ve felt they have been on the slow road to recovery for 5 years. There have been missteps, but faith in shows like Parks & Rec, Chuck etc have demonstrated a company that has a brain. So pleased to see that a certain amount of viewer faith is returning their way.

14. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m one of the folks always making fun of NBC, so I wanted to take a moment to say some kind words for NBC as it makes it’s comeback. I’m very happy NBC is off to a good start, and hope it can keep it going. I like Revolution, and Go On is a nice show. NBC needs ‘building-blocks’ for each night, and they are on the right track. Well done NBC – now, let’s keep it going. Sometime this season, they/NBC need to start moving some 1/2 hour comedies over to Thursday night to begin the process of preparing for life after 30 Rock and the Office. I’m still betting ‘Go On’ is heading to that night, but we’ll see.

15. cjeffery7 says:

always the tone of surprise lol… but i’m totally with you. it’s hard to believe that revolution is somehow responsible for this, but i gotta say, i pretty much detest the fact that a reality show is the major reason NBC was on top this week… not to say anything about the actual programming, but as someone who HIGHLY prefers scripted television, it’s like well yeah you won the week, but not my attention, and in general are still a lesser network. merh.

16. Chris says:

Hey, all I’m saying is that once you get past the idea of aliens, The Neighbors is actually a pretty funny show. There are a lot of good jokes and great deliveries.