HBO Renews Boardwalk Empire for Season 4

Drinks all around, as HBO has renewed Boardwalk Empire for Season 4, the pay cabler announced on Tuesday.

Boardwalk premiered its third season on Sept. 16, and this Sunday aired its third episode.

RELATED | HBO’s Treme Renewed for a Shortened Fourth and Final Season, Creators Announce

“[Series creator] Terry Winter, [executive producer] Martin Scorsese and the rest of their outstanding team continue to produce a stunning show that never fails to surprise and entertain,” HBO programming chief Michael Lombardo said in touting the pick-up. “We are excited to bring this unique series back for a fourth season.”

RELATED | Sopranos‘ James Gandolfini Seeks Criminal Justice as Star of HBO Pilot

Boardwalk collected four Emmys last month, including Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series, Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series, Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series and Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role.

Are you among Boardwalk‘s faithful viewers? And how do you think Season 3 is faring minus Michael Pitt’s Jimmy Darmody?

1. TheBeach says:

I like it, I watch it,, I just don’t love it.

2. Teag says:

Love it!

3. Shashwat says:

I love it too :D

4. Jeff says:

Meh – since they killed Jimmy off, no point in watching.

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

I loved Jimmy, but I think this has been its best season so far. I’m thrilled it’s renewed. Like many of my favorite dramas, it just gets better and better as it goes on. Bobby Cannavale has been awesome on it, his character is just insane! And you can tell he and Gillian are going to form some kind of weird partnership, which I think is great. A union between Gyp Rossetti and Gillian would produce the kid from The Omen!

6. Dylan says:

This season isn’t really working for me. It feels like the show has become sort of aimless in Jimmy’s absence. It’s still better than a lot of other shows though.

7. Jason geller says:

I never understand the idiots who say they won’t watch cuz a character gets killed off. It’s a tv show. It’s a drama. People die. Get over it already. It’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

8. Lawl says:

Jimmy was my favorite character too and I was pissed they killed him off but it’s not going to stop me from watching a show just cause they killed him off lol. You people who say they stopped watching or the show sucks now cause of his absence are truly idiots.

• Nicky says:

The show has been less than thrilling since Jimmy has left the show. I have not stopped watching it, but i hope it picks up soon. People have stopped watching shows when characters get killed off. Sometimes shows are never the same. Charmed was terrible after Cole left the show and i quit the show. You shouldn’t call people idiots because they have opinions different from yours, its makes you truly a dick!

9. DanielleZ says:

This is excellent news. I’m probably more into this show so far this sesson than any other show I watch. I miss Jimmy and Angela but I see the potential for more good storytelling in seasons to come: bigger stories for Owen and Richard for example. And the kids: sons of Eli, Jimmy and Nucky’s stepson, as a start. Could be interesting when they’re older.

10. JAG23GTO says:

Love the show. Was a fan of Jimmy, but I think they are continuing brilliantly.

11. Teag says:

I liked Jimmy too but I will watch this till the bitter end.

12. hampster76 says:

I liked Jimmy. I miss Jimmy (even though there are short flashbacks). I know the plot is going in a different direction, but I felt the relationship struggles between Nucky and Jimmy was an important theme. C’est la guerre.

13. Eddie says:

Good news, this is quality TV, Jimmy’s death was well handled and he had to go, Nucky is the centre piece and there are plenty of other characters to write in.

14. mimi navarro says:

We know that Jimmy is dead… but, is he REALLY?MN

15. steve says:

I bet the vast majority of people moaning about Jimmy’s death are either female or gay. If Jimmy had been some ugly guy with the same story lines no one would have cared. Stop pretending he was some genius of a character (which he wasn’t) and just admit you liked him because you fancied him.

I’ll admit the writers of BE messed up, but only by giving Jimmy too much air time, it felt he was more the main character than Nucky was in Season 2, the episode covering his back story for example was unnecessary.

16. nicole says:

Oh man! I love it! I was worried when they killed Jimmy. I thought Nucky would spare him and almost boycotted the season. Im more hooked than ever. They need to keep the female audience, like me for example, I love margret. That mother of Jimmys is not enough of a good female presence. I adore Margarets fashions and am intrigued by that norwegian wife of micheal shannons charecter. I dont think the plot is suffering at all without Jimmy but he was one of my favs. This is a show full of riches and complexities. I also love the masked man! sorr bad with names!

17. david cohn says:

This shows writers/art direction and actors are brillant!
    I am sooooooo much looking forward to season four i am not sure what to do with myself until then (i do not watch too much tv but would never miss a episode of this show.
    Funny, I agree with a previous comment that if Gyp and gillian got together they would for sure create a child more evil (if possible) than i child from the Omen!

18. John says:

Jimmy was the only character I liked. I was really hoping to see him take revenge for Angela’s death and of course kill Nucky as well. Main character is dead, no point watching this garbage now. I tried watching a couple of episodes of season 3 but they were just plain boring.

• Kelcie says:

I agree…Season 3 Sucks without Jimmy. The writers messed up so bad by killing him off. Season 3 is boring and going no where…I’m still hoping he will come back and the writers hear the out cry from fans that have stopped watching it. I like the previous comment BORED-walk Empire. With that said there was no funeral for Jimmy so maybe he will come back?? *fingers Crossed*

19. scott says:

To the guy who said anyone who liked jimmy was either gay or a woman, you sit have a very simple,ego driven mind. The reason Jimmy was so great was because he was time stamp on this period. As a very strong but conflicted person, as he’d made it through the trenches of ww1. He comes back and nobody knows how to deal with him, as seen through history during post was. We all wanted to se how he behaves and responds to civilians and incorperates himself into normal society. Lots of people probably rooted for him for lots of different reasons. Long story short is your so wrong you’re out of your mind stupid. You should move to the woods and stop bothering people.

20. Roman says:

Why oh why did you kill Jimmy???? I think you have killed the show, personally Jimmy was the best character especially if you would’ve evolved his character in future series.By pissing off the audience you have lost your place in being one of the best tv shows, to being a total failure, and im sure you have lost your precious viewers too! I guess the writers don’t care, so did I, because I lost interest! What a shame….