Seth MacFarlane Picked to Host 2013 Oscars

Get More: Awards

Seth MacFarlane Hosting OscarsSeth MacFarlane’s terrific opening monologue on last month’s season premiere of Saturday Night Live must’ve caught some VIP eyes.

The Family Guy creator has been tapped to host the 85th annual Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, the show’s producers announced today.

“It’s truly an overwhelming privilege to be asked to host the Oscars,” said MacFarlane, in a release. “My thoughts upon hearing the news were, one, I will do my utmost to live up to the high standards set forth by my predecessors; and two, I hope they don’t find out I hosted the Charlie Sheen roast.”

“We are thrilled to have Seth MacFarlane host the Oscars. His performing skills blend perfectly with our ideas for making the show entertaining and fresh,” added telecast producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. “He will be the consummate host, and we are so happy to be working with him.”

In addition to his work on the Fox animated sitcoms Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, MacFarlane made his feature directorial debut this summer with the hit comedy Ted. In 2011, he released the Grammy-nominated album Music Is Better than Words.

What do you think about MacFarlane as Oscar host? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

Comments (39)

• I don’t like Family Guy but I like Seth. He’s cute and funny. Good choice!

Comment by Christian – October 1, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhhhhh-mazing!

Comment by Dave – October 1, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh…

Comment by Paul – October 1, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this could be good. He did a great job on SNL (and his commitment definitely elevated the material when it was lacking.) Should be an interesting show!

Comment by ktbanks – October 1, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame.
    I’m a fan of Family Guy, but I get the feeling this is going to crash and burn. (prove me wrong, Seth!)
    NPH would be perfect! He is always so good with the Tony’s.

Comment by marge – October 1, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. Not crazy about this choice – but willing to be proven wrong.

Comment by Annie – October 1, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great choice. And one I hadn’t really seen coming :)

Comment by Karen – October 1, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wut

Comment by Courtney – October 1, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this an April Fools Day joke six months early? Horrible, horrible choice.

Comment by Rock Golf – October 1, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why? Do that many people really know him as a performer? They’re trying to build the audience, right? Can’t say I’m that excited about this choice.

Comment by Bobbi – October 1, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping they’d bring Billy Crystal back again. He’s the best!!

Comment by Sarah – October 1, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Finally, a host that will actually be funny.

Comment by Jamie – October 1, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he does some funny musical numbers like the ones in Family Guy.

Comment by Amanda – October 1, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fuuuuuu! Hell no! He’s a complete douche!

Comment by Dean – October 1, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give NPH or Kristen Wiig a chance! Or better yet, bring back Hugh Jackman – Best Oscar host ever!

Comment by Dean – October 1, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrible choice. The Oscars call for class. Seth MacFarlane not so much.

Comment by steph004 – October 1, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprising news. I never would’ve expected this. On another note…I can’t help it; every time I see his picture, I think it’s Peter Brady.

Comment by Lorie – October 1, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …oh, my god, he does. That cannot be unseen now.
      Hmmm. Yeah, will be very curious to see how he goes over with the Oscars crowd. If he does his typical off-color humor that could either be really entertaining or a total trainwreck. Guess we’ll find out next February.

Comment by Angela – October 2, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whether you like his work on family guy etc, or not, Seth is an awesome entertainer, very talented, and like many I saw him host SNL and thought “why hasn’t he hosted a big awards show”? I guess the RIGHT people saw SNL and thought the same thing!!!

Comment by Bill Rosen – October 1, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible choice for the Oscars.

Comment by David – October 1, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yea!…maybe I’ll actually watch without falling asleep!

Comment by diane jenkins – October 1, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just killed Oscar night for me.

Comment by Lynne – October 1, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word!

Comment by :Idontwannaliveonthisplanetanymore: – October 1, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yaaaaay! SETH <3

Comment by sara – October 1, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great !!! People who saying this is a bad thing, what the hell are you basing it on? It’s not going to be a ceremony full of cartoon voices and childish jokes. He’s a great speaker&performer! I think this will be terrific.

Comment by Courtney – October 1, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not? They said a goal was to make the show entertaining and fresh. Well, he is entertaining and fresh. He is also talented, professional, funny, charismatic and comfortable in front of a camera. My only concern would be that the Oscars telecast is on a network, so his writers may have to get shall we say “creative” with the jokes, but I’m hopeful they’ll still push the limits, lol.

Comment by april-ann – October 1, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Lochte! “Goon!”

Comment by Jason – October 1, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lovely! A man who can sing (dunno about dance) and can easily make fun of any of the male celebrities. I’m not sure how he is on the female voices…

Comment by Karen MT – October 1, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone would be better than last years’ hosts. I’m interested to see how Seth will fare.

Comment by Lime – October 1, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • finally they decide to take a risk rather than playing it safe and using one of the guys they bring in every year, this year we have someone fresh and funny who is proven in front of a live audience. i wanted neil patrick harris, mainly because i think he should host everything ever, but this is an acceptable substitute. maybe neil could do 2014? we can only hope this is a sign of things to come

Comment by Alan – October 1, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of Family Guy, but he was pretty funny on SNL. I’m not sure how this will go. Hosts either bomb or shine.

Comment by Babybop – October 1, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He bears a disturbing physical resemblance to both Christopher Knight (Peter Brady) and Conrad Janis (who played Mindy’s dad on Mork & Mindy) but he’s undeniably talented. He did a fantastic job on SNL.

Comment by TMW – October 1, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Giggity!

Comment by Me – October 1, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Family Guy is complete and utter drivel. And this guy’s certainly no MENSA candidate.

Comment by Ross – October 1, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a disappointment. I don’t find him funny in the slightest (despite my brother’s insistence at showing me multiple episodes of Family Guy). I think I’ll give the telecast a miss, this year, and just read about the winners on IMDB.

Comment by Michael – October 1, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Peter Brady hosting the Oscars?

Comment by Kevin – October 1, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen is he best for this job!

Comment by bren – January 30, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best! Damn autocorrect!

Comment by bren – January 30, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post