Exclusive

S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon's New ABC Pilot!

S.H.I.E.L.D. your eyes if you don’t want to be spoiled, because we’ve got some cool info about Joss Whedon‘s forthcoming project.

TVLine has obtained casting details regarding the ABC pilot, which is helmed by the Avengers writer/director and based on a peacekeeping group that appeared in both the summer blockbuster and various Marvel comics.

The live-action pilot’s title is an acronym for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, a covert organization run by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the movie.

Buffy creator Whedon is tentatively set to direct the pilot; he’s also slated to write the series with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

RELATED | The CW Sets Airdate for Joss Whedon’s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

Among those fighting the good fight:

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy  skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

What do you think of these character outlines, TVLiners? Who would you like to see cast in the roles? Hit the comments and sound off!

1. Mark says:

Adam Baldwin for Grant?

2. Summer says:

I’d love to see Yvonne Strahovski as Skye.

3. Tricia says:

Can we just get the entire cast of Firefly on this?

• Ali says:

My thoughts exactly. Just start the show again already Joss!

• G says:

Castle stays where he is

• goukisan says:

the show is on a bubble this season so dont count on it =)

• bella says:

see thats where your totally wrong don’t make castle fans upset :(

• Katarzyna says:

Yes, these are wishful thinking from crazy Browncoats and another Whedon’s fans. Castle is stronger than ever and with a potential for at least 5 or more seasons, hello we have NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers series of books, not to mention another stuff with excellent selling results. Castle’s is ABC’s FLAGSHIP and and they’re not this stupid to cancel it any time soon. Plus, Andrew Marlowe is a winner. Joss Whedon is a loser.

• Tallulah says:

Hey Kat, you had me til the end there. I adore Castle, but why don’t you go watch some of Whedon’s stuff then talk? Good girl.

4. Elf says:

Seth Gabel for Leo Fitz…. or is he too much Lincoln Lee?

5. Amy says:

I am really liking the sound of this.

6. Julio P says:

This is making me reallllll excited!

7. CC says:

Althea Rice could be played by Jo Lupo from Eureka…

8. Mena says:

I’d love to see Summer Glau play the role of Skye.

• Mark says:

Please no. I don’t like her. Very untalented.

• Angelica Balchen says:

Who’s socks did YOU smoke? Untalented? Wow. Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you’re way off on that one, dude.

• Mark says:

She was my least favorite part of Firefly, I hated her in Grey’s Anatomy, and I didn’t enjoy her cameo appearance in the Big Bang Theory. Also, I think she’s pretty strange looking and people praise her beauty. I don’t see it. Jewel Staite is much more attractive IMO.

• ben says:

She can look very pretty (and did in Firefly) and also can act very well. But she can also come across as cold. Some of her roles have called for cold, though. If Summer Glau was cast, I’d see her cast as Althea more than Skye, where cold could work well. I wouldn’t want a whole Firefly cast reunion though… one or two would be sufficient. Otherwise it just will be compared and may suffer in the comparison. And obviously, Nathan Fillion is otherwise engaged.

• dude says:

She was seriously underused in Grey’s Anatomy and Jewel Staite is awesome but will hopefully stay on as Raquel on The LA Complex, should it get a third season because she is PHENOMENAL on it and without a doubt the best part of the show.

• goukisan says:

funny how you skipped Terminator yet mentioned an episode of Big Bang where she played…..Herself??????????

• Antonbacon says:

No. Just no. Truly has no depth. Even as a terminator. Terrible.

9. La says:

Fran Kranz = Agent Leo Fitz

10. Mike says:

And late entry if HIMYM ends this season… Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill

• J says:

I have to imagine that this is a possibility, which would make me extremely happy.

• Sg. Grant says:

Doesn’t even matter if they renew HIMYM for another season. Smulders could basically automatically join the cast full time after her stint with HIMYM is done. SHIELD would be popular enough to run for a few seasons.

• Tallulah says:

lol I wonder if this is the first show Whedon has ever done which is…not guaranteed, obviously, but very high chance it’ll run for at least a good while?

• Rachel says:

11. Matt says:

Enver Gjokaj for either Ward or Fitz…

12. LittleSnark says:

Niall Matter (Zane from Eureka) ought to be in there somewhere. So should Felicia Day and Seth Green.

P.S. I’m guessing you mean Cavalry as in “Send in the…” not Calvary as in “Let’s nail someone to a board.”

13. AT says:

These character descriptions make me really want to watch this show! I hope they cast them well.

14. As long as we’re shouting out names today I’m voting for Gretchen Lodge from Lovely Molly to work with Joss on anything! And there would be no going wrong with casting Gabrielle Union (Skye? Jemma?), whose performance is the only thing I remember from the short lived FlashForward.

• ben says:

Her performance is the only thing I remember as being terribly wooden from Flashforward. An unnecessary character poorly cast.

15. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Cobie Smulders needs to join this. It would be the perfect launch for the show.

16. I want Warren Kole to be in the series since he was in The Avengers as a Shield Agent already.

17. Mister B says:

Amy Acker for Jemma

18. Amber says:

Adrianne Palicki for Skye and Alexis Bledel for Jemma. And how about Gaius Charles for Grant and Zac Levi for Leo Fitz?

• Tony says:

Since zac levi’s now fandral in Thor, i doubt that’ll happen, lol

• ben says:

Alexis Bledel would be awesome. Zachary Levi would be too, but I think he has a big career ahead of him in more central roles. Joshua Gomez might be a good pick instead.

19. DreamRose311 says:

Please please please let Enver be somewhere on this as a cop turned SHIELD agent

20. Mike says:

Skye = Summer Glau
    Agent Grant Ward = Adam Baldwin
    Agent Althea Rice = Amy Acker
    Agent Leo Fitz = Fran Kranz
    Agent Jenna Simmons = Felicia Day

Well… that’s my Joss Whedon wishlist anyways.

21. Christine says:

I really need Tom Welling to come back to work & what better way then to be in a Joss Whedon production, I could see him be that Agent Grant Ward

22. Desi says:

I want Yvonne Strahovski as SKYE. Yvonne is good in everything and as everything.

23. Jake says:

Get Tom Welling and Erica Durance on board… PRONTO! c’mon joss.

• dude says:

Erica Durance is the star of Saving Hope which already got picked up for a second season.

• Jae says:

Erica is even a producer on her show so she’s not going anywhere.

• Atia says:

She can’t be a producer of a cancelled show, which will be after its second season that btw films in different schedules. When Saving Hope gets renewed for a 3rd season (Ghost Whisperer much really?) then Durance is ruled out. I wouldn’t put so much “hope” (see what I did there) on show that is stuck in Canada.

• Oi! Being “stuck” in Canada isn’t as bad as YOU seem to think… since she IS Canadian. And Saving Hope did very well UP HERE and was picked up for a second season before NBC passed on carrying it further. I see it going past three seasons and then you can sit DOWN THERE and suck it.

• Atia says:

She is Canadian, but she AN ACTRESS as well, as her co stars are. Point 1: I never insulted or talked bad about Canada so I am not sucking it. Point 2: as working actors I doubt that they would want to be only seen UP THERE, when they can be successful worldwide and being seen worldwide and get even better projects as movies. Lets see if people as Ryan Reynolds, Mike Myers and a lot of other Canadian BIG NAMES would be where they are right now names if they were stuck in an only-watched-by-Canada show. BTW I like Canada so you can suck it because I am realistic and have a vague idea in what an actor would want

• Nina says:

Yes please! Erica Durance would be amazing in it!!!

24. Ale says:

Agree with Tom Welling, disagree with Erica. They are not attached to the hip!

• Laura says:

Oh really I must have lost the memo in regards to that. Huh who knew. In other news lets get Tom Welling AND Erica Durance on this puppy!

• Durance as Skye for the win :just because I want to annoy (she would kick butts if given the chance though, no doubt about it): and waits for the flames

• Ale says:

Sorry I get that you are a clois fan, hence the love for Tom and Erica but that doesn’t mean they have to do everything together. I myself like the couple but I’m a Tom fan at the end, I want to see him shine without the Smallville attachment. If you put Erica there people are goint to compare them to clois. Also isn’t Erica busy with her show?

• Sonia says:

you mean the show that only airs in Canada now? ok, I don’t give it more than this upcoming season so that its hardly an excuse. And if Erica is the right one for the job, any of the female characters then I don’t see the problem she is here too. You people really need to get over the Smallville attachment crap.

• Frankie says:

Erica Durance’s show (Saving Hope) was cancelled…

• Jake says:

Uh I’m not a Clois fan so I don’t know what the heck you are talking about. But Tom and Erica would kick-ass on this show as separate characters. And no – they won’t be compared to Clois because they ain’t playing Clois no more. Geez what’s with people and this attitude that two people can’t work together again, get over it – bunch of actors do it, doesn’t mean they’re attached to the hips. Man some fangirls are so wound up over trivial things like this it makes me laugh.

• Jae says:

Saving Hope was picked up for a second season on Candian TV as it is a Canadian show. It may not air in the US, but not cancelled.

• Atia says:

“It may not air in the US, but not cancelled”, meaning “cancelled after season 2″ come on lets be real, not USA partner? doubt its stars, starting from TVD dude, will love that they are only being watched in Canada. Is a matter of waiting who gets tired first: the viewers with Canadian Ghost Whisperer in an Hospital or the Stars stuck in Canada. This doesn’t mean Durance will do S.H.I.E.L.D but don’t use Saving Dead Man Walking as an excuse.

25. BrianR says:

Great as long as he gets Eliza Dushku and Summer Glau in there. Adam Baldwin too.

26. Evan says:

It would be really awesome if one of these characters was Asian. But as far as I can tell, none of them are. Except maybe Skye. Here’s hoping, I guess?

• J says:

I imagine race is open in the casting, and with one of the writers being Asian, that’s certainly a favorable tip in that direction. Plus, Marvel/ABC would love these things to look as much like a Benetton ad as possible.

27. mantua says:

Skye – Kristen Bell (the role seems tailormade for her, damn ‘House of Lies’)
    Agent Grant Ward – Tom Welling (he is definitely the type AND already has a solid fanbase)
    Agent Althea Rice – Rose Byrne (she delivers ‘quiet and damaged’ like nobody’s business)
    Agent Leo Fitz – Adam Brody (TV’s hottest male nerd back in the game ?)
    Agent Jemma Simmons – Alexis Bledel (TV’s hottest female nerd back in the game ?)

This cast would pique the interest of fans of a bunch of cult shows (Veronica Mars, Smalville, Damages, The O.C., Gilmore Girls)…AND they would also cover most demos, as well…just saying.

28. J says:

If Joss has one constant, it’s that his series always manage to surprise his fans with NEW actors to obsess over, while simultaneously weaving in our old friends. I can’t imagine there being more than one Whedon “regular” in the principle cast, though we can certainly expect to see many others pop up all the time!

The question is now, which minor Marvel-verse characters will the Whedon Repertory Company pop in as? Since it’s on ABC, might we finally see that Nathan-Fillion-as-Ant-Man arc everybody’s been wanting forever?

29. Becca says:

Tom Welling for Grant. He needs a job (sticking it to DC wouldn’t hurt, either), and a Whedon project would be excellent

But, uh, can we not simply rehash all of the casting choices from the 2 Whedon shows Fox canceled. Glau, Dushku, all great…as guest stars. Time to move on.

• dude says:

I agreed. I get that directors like to reuse actors but that doesn’t mean they have to fill every project with JUST the same actors they’ve already worked with.

30. Dan says:

Skye – Yvonne Strahovski
    Agent Grant Ward – My first choice would be Dillon Casey (but he’s busy on Nikita)
    Agent Althea Rice – Michelle Rodriguez (would she do a TV seires?)
    Agent Leo Fitz – Aldis Hodge (If Leverage doesn’t get renewed)
    Agent Jemma Simmons – Autumn Reeser

31. Mary says:

Can we just please have Enver Gjokaj be in it? He was in the movie as a cop, it’s not that much of a stretch to have his character switch careers after large alien robots attacked New York

• D says:

That would actually be a good in point for the audience. We could learn about the inner workings of shield as the character’s being introduced to it, kinda like they did in Hellboy. And it would be pretty viable that his character could get recruited into shield following the chitauri invasion

32. Kris Guerra says:

After viewing the Marvel One-Shot “Item 47″, I’d love to see Jesse Bradford and Lizzy Caplan’s characters in Joss’ new S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

33. Heatherjmc says:

Tahmoh Penikett from Dollhouse and BSG!!

34. Rachel says:

PLEASE Fran Kranz for Leo. PLEASE.

35. Wrenn says:

I would love for Erica Durance, Tahmoh Penikett, and Enver Gjokaj to be apart of this project.

36. Heather says:

Adam Baldwin for Grant and Zachary Levi for Leo

37. Terry says:

S.H.I.E.L.D.-Maria Hill-Nick Fury-Sharon Carter-Quartermain=FAIL

38. Chris Kirk says:

“If Joss has one constant, it’s that his series always manage to surprise his fans with NEW actors to obsess over, while simultaneously weaving in our old friends”

Very well said! I think their could be a strong possibility we’ll see Eliza in this as she’s been in 3 out of 4 of Joss tv shows and he has said how much he likes working with her (if not, majorly disappointed) I’d also like to see Fran Kranz and Alexis Denisof appear

39. Nina says:

I want to say Sean Maher, but I’m afraid it’ll get canceled XD

40. NedPepper says:

I was expecting…I dunno…Marvel characters…..

• sladewilson says:

I was hoping but I had a feeling it wouldn’t happen. Still, as long as Fury makes a couple of appearances it’s all good…

• Tallulah says:

Am I completely batty in desperately hoping/ever-so-slightly expecting an actual Avenger to v rarely make an appearance? And surely you can’t have a show called “S.H.I.E.L.D” without the bloody Director being around at least a little bit…

41. Luna says:

Skye – Kristen Bell. Or perhaps Eliza Dushku? I’d expect Eliza to do more beating people up with her fists than gaining the upper hand by ‘wit and charm’ though.

Agent Grant Ward – Enver Gjokaj! I think he’s proved he can play absolutely anyone (Kiki!). And as others have pointed out he was in the Avengers so it wouldn’t be a leap for him to join SHIELD. Tom Welling would be an okay second choice.

Agent Althea Rice – My first thought was Amy Acker, but I saw someone else suggest Rose Byrne, and as much as I love Amy, after seeing Sunshine I think Rose would be better. Plus Amy always seems to play characters that seem nice but turn evil (Fred/Illyria, Dr Saunders/Whiskey, most recently on Warehouse 13). Eliza Dushku is also a possibility, but I don’t know if she can pull off ‘quiet’ without seeming too vague (if you know what I mean; she was good as Faith but not so good as Echo)

Agent Leo Fitz – FRAN KRANZ. That is all.

Agent Jemma Simmons – Summer Glau! Though Kristen Connolly is also a good suggestion. Felicia Day would also be a possibility, but I’d imagine she’d be too busy with The Guild and Geek & Sundry stuff to be a regular in a tv show.

42. Talia says:

Skye = Camilla Luddington
    Agent Grant Ward = Theo James
    Agent Althea Rice = Amy Acker
    Agent Leo Fitz = Enver Gjokaj
    Agent Jenna Simmons = Alison Mack

• Tyler says:

No way, all these people are not cut out for this show except for maybe Enver, everyone else are overrated hacks.

43. Aimee says:

Question… when you say that Agent Althea Rice is “The Calvary”, you do realize that Calvary was the mountain that Christ walked up during the Passion? “Cavalry”, however, references horse-mounted soldiers (as in the phrase “send in the cavalry!”)… Just wanted to make sure we all had this correct.

44. Jen says:

How about the guy that plays Mayhem in those Allstate commercials for Grant?

45. Atia says:

Tom Welling as Grant please, make it happen. I would love if Joss reads these things

46. Sooo…if we’re going with Whedon alums:
    Eliza Dushku as Skye
    J. August Richards as Grant
    Summer Glau as Althea
    Fran Kranz as Leo
    Jewel Staite as Jemma

47. Brookie says:

Agent Grant Ward = Tom Welling. He’s got the looks and mad potential that can be brought out with playing this character. Bonus: He’s a quiet good guy in real life. Life imitating art.

Skye = Erica Durance. She fits the criteria perfectly and based from her previous character as Lois Lane, she is more than capable of playing a kickass woman while being charming at the same time.

48. Ashley says:

People that immediately came to mind:

Victor Webster when reading Grant (which is weird for me ’cause I rarely give him second thought).
    Erica Cerra for Althea (though I could just be going through Eureka withdrawals on Mondays so alternatively: Eliza Dushku).
    Leo and Jemma came to me as Fran Kranz and Autumn Reeser (or alternatively, because a Joss alum WILL be cast in this: Alan Tudyk).

I don’t know who for Skye, though. Maybe a relative unknown? Joss introduces us to a lot of excellent talent that way.

49. allofalanah says:

….um, Calvary or Cavalry? Because if it isn’t a typo, that seems like a weird nickname….

50. D says:

Yvonne Strahovski as Skye
    Adam Baldwin as Grant Ward
    Ginna Torres as Althea Rice
    Fran Kranz as Leo Fitz
    Amy Acker or Felicia Day as Jemma Simmons

Plus Cobie Smulders, Enver Gjokaj, Lizzy Caplan, Titus Welliver, Maximiliano Hernández. Jesse Bradford and the guy playing Galaga in recurring roles