S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon's New ABC Pilot!

S.H.I.E.L.D. your eyes if you don’t want to be spoiled, because we’ve got some cool info about Joss Whedon‘s forthcoming project.

TVLine has obtained casting details regarding the ABC pilot, which is helmed by the Avengers writer/director and based on a peacekeeping group that appeared in both the summer blockbuster and various Marvel comics.

The live-action pilot’s title is an acronym for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, a covert organization run by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the movie.

Buffy creator Whedon is tentatively set to direct the pilot; he’s also slated to write the series with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

RELATED | The CW Sets Airdate for Joss Whedon’s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

Among those fighting the good fight:

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy  skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

What do you think of these character outlines, TVLiners? Who would you like to see cast in the roles? Hit the comments and sound off!

Comments (245)

• Adam Baldwin for Grant?

Comment by Mark – October 1, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • eww thats not even funny.

Comment by ed – October 1, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not fat fetched. Directors like to work with the same cast of people, so i wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some veterans from Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse show up here. Eliza Dushku for the female lead, maybe?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 1, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the Buffy comic book, Xander has become a Nick Fury-like figure. Maybe they’ll cast Nicholas Brendon as the boss of the SHIELD unit on the TV show.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 2, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nicholas Brendon becomes Nicholas Fury hehe and agree hoping for a couple of whedonverse actors here pls!

Comment by Jay – October 2, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Omg…I want this so bad. I miss having his mug on my TV.

Comment by Jessica – October 2, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nick has a role on criminal minds

Comment by Mad Hobbit – October 2, 2012 10:31 AM PDT
        • And he already has a patch! Maybe Joss has been planning this for longer than we thought . . .

Comment by grrarrg – October 15, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely Adam Baldwin for Grant.

Comment by Michelle – October 1, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t be surprised to see Adam Baldwin cast as Grant.

Comment by ben – October 1, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please. I’m miss seeing Adam regularly on my screen

Comment by Ali – October 1, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tom Welling is definately “Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,”” and would much rather see him as Agent Grant Ward. Even the botches interpersonal relationships… Have to pass on Adam Baldwin…

Comment by Jae – October 1, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! That was my first thought!

Comment by mo – October 2, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing as I was reading that description!

Comment by Jordan Hennessey – October 2, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Summer Glau for Althea! :D

Comment by Danica – October 5, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Yvonne Strahovski as Skye.

Comment by Summer – October 1, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! when I read the description I instantly thought of Ms. Strahovski.

Comment by Dan – October 1, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully she’ll be too busy playing Carol Danvers in the movies…

Comment by marvel troll – October 1, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, I kind of want Jennifer Morrison for Carol.

Comment by Summer – October 1, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seeing as she is in the lead of her own HIT show, your wants will not be met….

Comment by shuayb – October 2, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just get the entire cast of Firefly on this?

Comment by Tricia – October 1, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by dude – October 1, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. Just start the show again already Joss!

Comment by Ali – October 1, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle stays where he is

Comment by G – October 1, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the show is on a bubble this season so dont count on it =)

Comment by goukisan – October 1, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • see thats where your totally wrong don’t make castle fans upset :(

Comment by bella – October 1, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, these are wishful thinking from crazy Browncoats and another Whedon’s fans. Castle is stronger than ever and with a potential for at least 5 or more seasons, hello we have NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers series of books, not to mention another stuff with excellent selling results. Castle’s is ABC’s FLAGSHIP and and they’re not this stupid to cancel it any time soon. Plus, Andrew Marlowe is a winner. Joss Whedon is a loser.

Comment by Katarzyna – October 2, 2012 07:58 AM PDT
          • Hey Kat, you had me til the end there. I adore Castle, but why don’t you go watch some of Whedon’s stuff then talk? Good girl.

Comment by Tallulah – October 2, 2012 10:59 PM PDT
  • Seth Gabel for Leo Fitz…. or is he too much Lincoln Lee?

Comment by Elf – October 1, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care… I want more Seth Gabel on my tv screen. He is such an amazing actor! My husband argued with me for an entire episode about whether the 2 Lincolns were actually the same actor!

Comment by Moryssa – October 2, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES PLEASE.

Comment by Mcat – October 2, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really liking the sound of this.

Comment by Amy – October 1, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is making me reallllll excited!

Comment by Julio P – October 1, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Althea Rice could be played by Jo Lupo from Eureka…

Comment by CC – October 1, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, hell yeah. Now I will be unsatisfied by any other outcome.

Comment by Ashley – October 1, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • katee sackhoff would be my first choice

Comment by Dennis – October 1, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Katee Sackoff is a deputy on Longmire.

Comment by Velvet – October 2, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Comment by Bird – October 2, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love this idea, I miss Ms. Lupo! Can we get Zane for Agent Leo Fitz??

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Summer Glau play the role of Skye.

Comment by Mena – October 1, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please no. I don’t like her. Very untalented.

Comment by Mark – October 1, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who’s socks did YOU smoke? Untalented? Wow. Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you’re way off on that one, dude.

Comment by Angelica Balchen – October 1, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She was my least favorite part of Firefly, I hated her in Grey’s Anatomy, and I didn’t enjoy her cameo appearance in the Big Bang Theory. Also, I think she’s pretty strange looking and people praise her beauty. I don’t see it. Jewel Staite is much more attractive IMO.

Comment by Mark – October 1, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She can look very pretty (and did in Firefly) and also can act very well. But she can also come across as cold. Some of her roles have called for cold, though. If Summer Glau was cast, I’d see her cast as Althea more than Skye, where cold could work well. I wouldn’t want a whole Firefly cast reunion though… one or two would be sufficient. Otherwise it just will be compared and may suffer in the comparison. And obviously, Nathan Fillion is otherwise engaged.

Comment by ben – October 1, 2012 07:51 PM PDT
          • She was seriously underused in Grey’s Anatomy and Jewel Staite is awesome but will hopefully stay on as Raquel on The LA Complex, should it get a third season because she is PHENOMENAL on it and without a doubt the best part of the show.

Comment by dude – October 1, 2012 08:27 PM PDT
          • funny how you skipped Terminator yet mentioned an episode of Big Bang where she played…..Herself??????????

Comment by goukisan – October 1, 2012 09:49 PM PDT
    • No. Just no. Truly has no depth. Even as a terminator. Terrible.

Comment by Antonbacon – October 1, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fran Kranz = Agent Leo Fitz

Comment by La – October 1, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES A MILLION TIMES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Emily – October 1, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. Acctually, I’ll take Fran Kranz in any role..

Comment by Deborah – October 1, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good call. And pair him with Kristen Connolly – I could buy her as a bio-nerd to his tech geek, and they had really good buddy chemistry in Cabin in the Woods.

Comment by wordsmith – October 1, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally!

Comment by bobbie – October 1, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh it could be cool to reunite him with the girl who played Ivy on Dollhouse. I liked those two together.

Comment by Mitholas – October 2, 2012 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!!!! Topher & Victor were my favorite characters on Dollhouse so I am hoping they both end up on this show (Even though the characters that they are best suited for are basically Topher & Victor (Grant) not much of a stretch for them)

Comment by Danielle – October 2, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And late entry if HIMYM ends this season… Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill

Comment by Mike – October 1, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to imagine that this is a possibility, which would make me extremely happy.

Comment by J – October 1, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Doesn’t even matter if they renew HIMYM for another season. Smulders could basically automatically join the cast full time after her stint with HIMYM is done. SHIELD would be popular enough to run for a few seasons.

Comment by Sg. Grant – October 1, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol I wonder if this is the first show Whedon has ever done which is…not guaranteed, obviously, but very high chance it’ll run for at least a good while?

Comment by Tallulah – October 2, 2012 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Rachel – October 2, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enver Gjokaj for either Ward or Fitz…

Comment by Matt – October 1, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why on earth isn’t he in EVERYTHING? Such a great actor and attractive and still no lead role?

Comment by Andrew Bell – October 1, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know! He was amazing in every role he played on Dollhouse. He blew everyone else out of the water and all I’ve seen him in is the end battle of Avengers & an episode of Person of Interest

Comment by Danielle – October 2, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And they could toss in a throwaway line about him being recruited out of the NYPD in order to tie into Avengers…

Comment by wordsmith – October 1, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Stephanie – October 1, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, this is a really good idea. And he is ridicuously talented and we know Joss agrees, so this seems like real possibility.

Comment by Mitholas – October 2, 2012 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Enver Gjokaj, totally agree. + Summer Glau

Comment by nadine – October 2, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I was going to say I honestly don’t care about any of the casting, so long as Enver Gjokaj has a role!

Comment by maltru – October 2, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m seeing it, mon ami :D

Comment by Tallulah – October 2, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Niall Matter (Zane from Eureka) ought to be in there somewhere. So should Felicia Day and Seth Green.

P.S. I’m guessing you mean Cavalry as in “Send in the…” not Calvary as in “Let’s nail someone to a board.”

Comment by LittleSnark – October 1, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Niall Matter already has a show of his own, the Canadian version of Primeval where he plays the lead, produced and directed by Amanda Tapping.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – October 2, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really?? Is it also called Primeval and where can I see it?!!

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • starts later this month

Comment by Mad Hobbit – October 2, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, please no Felicia Day – if she’s a main character I’ll have to skip the show entirely. I will never understand her appeal.

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These character descriptions make me really want to watch this show! I hope they cast them well.

Comment by AT – October 1, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as we’re shouting out names today I’m voting for Gretchen Lodge from Lovely Molly to work with Joss on anything! And there would be no going wrong with casting Gabrielle Union (Skye? Jemma?), whose performance is the only thing I remember from the short lived FlashForward.

Comment by Callie K. (@calicokat) – October 1, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her performance is the only thing I remember as being terribly wooden from Flashforward. An unnecessary character poorly cast.

Comment by ben – October 1, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cobie Smulders needs to join this. It would be the perfect launch for the show.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – October 1, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • rumor going around that ABC/Marvel are pushing hard to get Cobie on the show

Comment by ggny – October 1, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Warren Kole to be in the series since he was in The Avengers as a Shield Agent already.

Comment by Kathy Manno (@KathyManno) – October 1, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love this. I loved Common Law and it looks like a long shot for renewal what with the lapsed Ks, so this would be fantastic.

Comment by Kayla – October 1, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely lovely idea!

Comment by Sheldon W. – October 1, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved him in Common Law and since it’s most likely not getting renewed this is a great idea!

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’d make a great Grant, except that seems to be exactly Wes from Common Law.

Comment by Rachel – October 2, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Acker for Jemma

Comment by Mister B – October 1, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! Amy Acker is both talented and underappreciated.

Comment by stepha – October 1, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could see her as Althea, though…. A pilot but “quiet and a little damaged.” Amy would rock that.

Comment by stepha – October 1, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • amy would rock anything. between cabin in the woods and dollhouse and angel, she decidedly is one of my favorite whedon girls

Comment by ohlala – October 2, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adrianne Palicki for Skye and Alexis Bledel for Jemma. And how about Gaius Charles for Grant and Zac Levi for Leo Fitz?

Comment by Amber – October 1, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since zac levi’s now fandral in Thor, i doubt that’ll happen, lol

Comment by Tony – October 1, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alexis Bledel would be awesome. Zachary Levi would be too, but I think he has a big career ahead of him in more central roles. Joshua Gomez might be a good pick instead.

Comment by ben – October 1, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please please let Enver be somewhere on this as a cop turned SHIELD agent

Comment by DreamRose311 – October 1, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye = Summer Glau
    Agent Grant Ward = Adam Baldwin
    Agent Althea Rice = Amy Acker
    Agent Leo Fitz = Fran Kranz
    Agent Jenna Simmons = Felicia Day

Well… that’s my Joss Whedon wishlist anyways.

Comment by Mike – October 1, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sounds good to me!

Comment by bobbie – October 1, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is a dream cast, for certain!

Comment by Shannon Marie Arnold – October 1, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Skye = Summer Glau
      Agent Grant Ward = Adam Baldwin
      Agent Althea Rice = Amy Acker
      Agent Leo Fitz = Fran Kranz
      Agent Jenna Simmons = Felicia Day

I’d almost say perfect, except I’d put Dushku in as Skye.

Comment by Alex – October 2, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really need Tom Welling to come back to work & what better way then to be in a Joss Whedon production, I could see him be that Agent Grant Ward

Comment by Christine – October 1, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • tom welling????? wow…crack….smoke much?

Comment by goukisan – October 1, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Yvonne Strahovski as SKYE. Yvonne is good in everything and as everything.

Comment by Desi – October 1, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t have said it better myself! Yvonne rocks! So want to see her back on tv!

Comment by Anna – October 13, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get Tom Welling and Erica Durance on board… PRONTO! c’mon joss.

Comment by Jake – October 1, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erica Durance is the star of Saving Hope which already got picked up for a second season.

Comment by dude – October 1, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Erica is even a producer on her show so she’s not going anywhere.

Comment by Jae – October 1, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She can’t be a producer of a cancelled show, which will be after its second season that btw films in different schedules. When Saving Hope gets renewed for a 3rd season (Ghost Whisperer much really?) then Durance is ruled out. I wouldn’t put so much “hope” (see what I did there) on show that is stuck in Canada.

Comment by Atia – October 2, 2012 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oi! Being “stuck” in Canada isn’t as bad as YOU seem to think… since she IS Canadian. And Saving Hope did very well UP HERE and was picked up for a second season before NBC passed on carrying it further. I see it going past three seasons and then you can sit DOWN THERE and suck it.

Comment by Andrea Sperling – October 2, 2012 09:09 AM PDT
          • She is Canadian, but she AN ACTRESS as well, as her co stars are. Point 1: I never insulted or talked bad about Canada so I am not sucking it. Point 2: as working actors I doubt that they would want to be only seen UP THERE, when they can be successful worldwide and being seen worldwide and get even better projects as movies. Lets see if people as Ryan Reynolds, Mike Myers and a lot of other Canadian BIG NAMES would be where they are right now names if they were stuck in an only-watched-by-Canada show. BTW I like Canada so you can suck it because I am realistic and have a vague idea in what an actor would want

Comment by Atia – October 2, 2012 11:13 AM PDT
    • Yes please! Erica Durance would be amazing in it!!!

Comment by Nina – October 4, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with Tom Welling, disagree with Erica. They are not attached to the hip!

Comment by Ale – October 1, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh really I must have lost the memo in regards to that. Huh who knew. In other news lets get Tom Welling AND Erica Durance on this puppy!

Comment by Laura – October 1, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Durance as Skye for the win :just because I want to annoy (she would kick butts if given the chance though, no doubt about it): and waits for the flames

Comment by Maria Gabriela Perez (@Gottara) – October 1, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry I get that you are a clois fan, hence the love for Tom and Erica but that doesn’t mean they have to do everything together. I myself like the couple but I’m a Tom fan at the end, I want to see him shine without the Smallville attachment. If you put Erica there people are goint to compare them to clois. Also isn’t Erica busy with her show?

Comment by Ale – October 1, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you mean the show that only airs in Canada now? ok, I don’t give it more than this upcoming season so that its hardly an excuse. And if Erica is the right one for the job, any of the female characters then I don’t see the problem she is here too. You people really need to get over the Smallville attachment crap.

Comment by Sonia – October 1, 2012 06:37 PM PDT
          • Erica Durance’s show (Saving Hope) was cancelled…

Comment by Frankie – October 1, 2012 06:45 PM PDT
          • Uh I’m not a Clois fan so I don’t know what the heck you are talking about. But Tom and Erica would kick-ass on this show as separate characters. And no – they won’t be compared to Clois because they ain’t playing Clois no more. Geez what’s with people and this attitude that two people can’t work together again, get over it – bunch of actors do it, doesn’t mean they’re attached to the hips. Man some fangirls are so wound up over trivial things like this it makes me laugh.

Comment by Jake – October 1, 2012 06:49 PM PDT
          • Saving Hope was picked up for a second season on Candian TV as it is a Canadian show. It may not air in the US, but not cancelled.

Comment by Jae – October 1, 2012 09:13 PM PDT
          • “It may not air in the US, but not cancelled”, meaning “cancelled after season 2″ come on lets be real, not USA partner? doubt its stars, starting from TVD dude, will love that they are only being watched in Canada. Is a matter of waiting who gets tired first: the viewers with Canadian Ghost Whisperer in an Hospital or the Stars stuck in Canada. This doesn’t mean Durance will do S.H.I.E.L.D but don’t use Saving Dead Man Walking as an excuse.

Comment by Atia – October 2, 2012 05:16 AM PDT
  • Great as long as he gets Eliza Dushku and Summer Glau in there. Adam Baldwin too.

Comment by BrianR – October 1, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d be happy with Summer Glau for sure, I thought of Adam Baldwin when I saw the character list.

Comment by BFralia – October 2, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be really awesome if one of these characters was Asian. But as far as I can tell, none of them are. Except maybe Skye. Here’s hoping, I guess?

Comment by Evan – October 1, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I imagine race is open in the casting, and with one of the writers being Asian, that’s certainly a favorable tip in that direction. Plus, Marvel/ABC would love these things to look as much like a Benetton ad as possible.

Comment by J – October 1, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye – Kristen Bell (the role seems tailormade for her, damn ‘House of Lies’)
    Agent Grant Ward – Tom Welling (he is definitely the type AND already has a solid fanbase)
    Agent Althea Rice – Rose Byrne (she delivers ‘quiet and damaged’ like nobody’s business)
    Agent Leo Fitz – Adam Brody (TV’s hottest male nerd back in the game ?)
    Agent Jemma Simmons – Alexis Bledel (TV’s hottest female nerd back in the game ?)

This cast would pique the interest of fans of a bunch of cult shows (Veronica Mars, Smalville, Damages, The O.C., Gilmore Girls)…AND they would also cover most demos, as well…just saying.

Comment by mantua – October 1, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Joss has one constant, it’s that his series always manage to surprise his fans with NEW actors to obsess over, while simultaneously weaving in our old friends. I can’t imagine there being more than one Whedon “regular” in the principle cast, though we can certainly expect to see many others pop up all the time!

The question is now, which minor Marvel-verse characters will the Whedon Repertory Company pop in as? Since it’s on ABC, might we finally see that Nathan-Fillion-as-Ant-Man arc everybody’s been wanting forever?

Comment by J – October 1, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling for Grant. He needs a job (sticking it to DC wouldn’t hurt, either), and a Whedon project would be excellent

But, uh, can we not simply rehash all of the casting choices from the 2 Whedon shows Fox canceled. Glau, Dushku, all great…as guest stars. Time to move on.

Comment by Becca – October 1, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agreed. I get that directors like to reuse actors but that doesn’t mean they have to fill every project with JUST the same actors they’ve already worked with.

Comment by dude – October 1, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye – Yvonne Strahovski
    Agent Grant Ward – My first choice would be Dillon Casey (but he’s busy on Nikita)
    Agent Althea Rice – Michelle Rodriguez (would she do a TV seires?)
    Agent Leo Fitz – Aldis Hodge (If Leverage doesn’t get renewed)
    Agent Jemma Simmons – Autumn Reeser

Comment by Dan – October 1, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just please have Enver Gjokaj be in it? He was in the movie as a cop, it’s not that much of a stretch to have his character switch careers after large alien robots attacked New York

Comment by Mary – October 1, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would actually be a good in point for the audience. We could learn about the inner workings of shield as the character’s being introduced to it, kinda like they did in Hellboy. And it would be pretty viable that his character could get recruited into shield following the chitauri invasion

Comment by D – October 1, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After viewing the Marvel One-Shot “Item 47″, I’d love to see Jesse Bradford and Lizzy Caplan’s characters in Joss’ new S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

Comment by Kris Guerra – October 1, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tahmoh Penikett from Dollhouse and BSG!!

Comment by Heatherjmc – October 1, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE Fran Kranz for Leo. PLEASE.

Comment by Rachel – October 1, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for Erica Durance, Tahmoh Penikett, and Enver Gjokaj to be apart of this project.

Comment by Wrenn – October 1, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Baldwin for Grant and Zachary Levi for Leo

Comment by Heather – October 1, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.-Maria Hill-Nick Fury-Sharon Carter-Quartermain=FAIL

Comment by Terry – October 1, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “If Joss has one constant, it’s that his series always manage to surprise his fans with NEW actors to obsess over, while simultaneously weaving in our old friends”

Very well said! I think their could be a strong possibility we’ll see Eliza in this as she’s been in 3 out of 4 of Joss tv shows and he has said how much he likes working with her (if not, majorly disappointed) I’d also like to see Fran Kranz and Alexis Denisof appear

Comment by Chris Kirk – October 1, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to say Sean Maher, but I’m afraid it’ll get canceled XD

Comment by Nina – October 1, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was expecting…I dunno…Marvel characters…..

Comment by NedPepper – October 1, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping but I had a feeling it wouldn’t happen. Still, as long as Fury makes a couple of appearances it’s all good…

Comment by sladewilson – October 1, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Am I completely batty in desperately hoping/ever-so-slightly expecting an actual Avenger to v rarely make an appearance? And surely you can’t have a show called “S.H.I.E.L.D” without the bloody Director being around at least a little bit…

Comment by Tallulah – October 2, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye – Kristen Bell. Or perhaps Eliza Dushku? I’d expect Eliza to do more beating people up with her fists than gaining the upper hand by ‘wit and charm’ though.

Agent Grant Ward – Enver Gjokaj! I think he’s proved he can play absolutely anyone (Kiki!). And as others have pointed out he was in the Avengers so it wouldn’t be a leap for him to join SHIELD. Tom Welling would be an okay second choice.

Agent Althea Rice – My first thought was Amy Acker, but I saw someone else suggest Rose Byrne, and as much as I love Amy, after seeing Sunshine I think Rose would be better. Plus Amy always seems to play characters that seem nice but turn evil (Fred/Illyria, Dr Saunders/Whiskey, most recently on Warehouse 13). Eliza Dushku is also a possibility, but I don’t know if she can pull off ‘quiet’ without seeming too vague (if you know what I mean; she was good as Faith but not so good as Echo)

Agent Leo Fitz – FRAN KRANZ. That is all.

Agent Jemma Simmons – Summer Glau! Though Kristen Connolly is also a good suggestion. Felicia Day would also be a possibility, but I’d imagine she’d be too busy with The Guild and Geek & Sundry stuff to be a regular in a tv show.

Comment by Luna – October 1, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye = Camilla Luddington
    Agent Grant Ward = Theo James
    Agent Althea Rice = Amy Acker
    Agent Leo Fitz = Enver Gjokaj
    Agent Jenna Simmons = Alison Mack

Comment by Talia – October 1, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way, all these people are not cut out for this show except for maybe Enver, everyone else are overrated hacks.

Comment by Tyler – October 1, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Question… when you say that Agent Althea Rice is “The Calvary”, you do realize that Calvary was the mountain that Christ walked up during the Passion? “Cavalry”, however, references horse-mounted soldiers (as in the phrase “send in the cavalry!”)… Just wanted to make sure we all had this correct.

Comment by Aimee – October 1, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I was just about to comment on that. . .

Comment by A – October 1, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about the guy that plays Mayhem in those Allstate commercials for Grant?

Comment by Jen – October 1, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling as Grant please, make it happen. I would love if Joss reads these things

Comment by Atia – October 1, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo…if we’re going with Whedon alums:
    Eliza Dushku as Skye
    J. August Richards as Grant
    Summer Glau as Althea
    Fran Kranz as Leo
    Jewel Staite as Jemma

Comment by alexbrueckner – October 1, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, scratch Jewel as Jemma. Throw in Amy Acker instead.

Comment by alexbrueckner – October 1, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eliza Dushku may be easy on the eyes, but unfortunately she cannot act. Need proof? Dollhouse.

Comment by baba – October 1, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • baba – I love you, so true and yet so many fail to see it.

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Summer Glau could play any of these women :-)

Comment by ogy86 – October 2, 2012 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agent Grant Ward = Tom Welling. He’s got the looks and mad potential that can be brought out with playing this character. Bonus: He’s a quiet good guy in real life. Life imitating art.

Skye = Erica Durance. She fits the criteria perfectly and based from her previous character as Lois Lane, she is more than capable of playing a kickass woman while being charming at the same time.

Comment by Brookie – October 1, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People that immediately came to mind:

Victor Webster when reading Grant (which is weird for me ’cause I rarely give him second thought).
    Erica Cerra for Althea (though I could just be going through Eureka withdrawals on Mondays so alternatively: Eliza Dushku).
    Leo and Jemma came to me as Fran Kranz and Autumn Reeser (or alternatively, because a Joss alum WILL be cast in this: Alan Tudyk).

I don’t know who for Skye, though. Maybe a relative unknown? Joss introduces us to a lot of excellent talent that way.

Comment by Ashley – October 1, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ….um, Calvary or Cavalry? Because if it isn’t a typo, that seems like a weird nickname….

Comment by allofalanah – October 1, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski as Skye
    Adam Baldwin as Grant Ward
    Ginna Torres as Althea Rice
    Fran Kranz as Leo Fitz
    Amy Acker or Felicia Day as Jemma Simmons

Plus Cobie Smulders, Enver Gjokaj, Lizzy Caplan, Titus Welliver, Maximiliano Hernández. Jesse Bradford and the guy playing Galaga in recurring roles

Comment by D – October 1, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On second thought, maybe Kristen Bell or Kristen Connelly as Skye. I’d rather see Yvonne Strahovski as Ms Marvel in The Avengers 2

Comment by D – October 1, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES Yvonne as Ms. Marvel. Please, Joss, let it happen.

Comment by Gaara – October 1, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post