Ratings: Grimm Tops Demo, Jersey Girl Jilted

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

Made In Jersey shore didn’t get off to a great start.

CBS’ freshman legal drama debuted to 7.7 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating on Friday night, dropping some 15 percent of its CSI: NY lead-in and down 28 and 39 percent from CSI: NY‘s year-ago season premiere in the 9 o’clock slot.

Made in Jersey was also down about 20 percent from what A Gifted Man opened to a year ago (while self-starting the night).

CSI: NY in its new 8 o’clock slot set the table with a premiere audience of 8.9 mil and a 1.3 rating, up from its finale but down 17 and 28 percent from its previous season opener.

Blue Bloods capped CBS’ night — and, as usual, was Friday’s most watched program — with 11 mil/1.5, up from its finale but down 9 and 25 percent from its previous premiere.

NBC’s Grimm (5.3 mil/1.6) topped the night in the demo, hitting its best Friday rating since Jan. 20. The supernatural drama was also up in audience from its most recent Monday outing.

Fox’s Fringe opened its final season with 3.18 million viewers and a 1.1 rating, up a tick from its finale but down 9 and 27 percent from its penultimate season premiere.

ABC’s fresh Shark Tank (1.5 rating) and Last Resort repeat (1.1) bested and equaled, respectively, CBS’ CSI: NY and Jersey in the demo.

Comments (36)

• Good for Grimm! It’s been a pretty good week for NBC!

Comment by Alex – September 29, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Grimm! I hope that the Monday night airings improved its audience and drew people in. TBH, I don’t really care what Fringe’s ratings are, because we’re getting these episodes no matter what. OK, I *do* care, because I think that it deserves more, but it’s not depending on them to get a renewal.

Comment by MelindaB – September 29, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right – Fringe does deserve more and I don’t think they’re going to replace it with anything and try to burn off the rest of the season. What are they going to replace it with – The Mob Doctor?

They say the final 13 Fringe episodes is going to the one long story as opposed to individual case of the week. That’s a wonderful gift to the fans to close the series.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – September 29, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope you’re being sarcastic about the Mob Doctor taking over the 9:00 on Friday spot once Fringe is finished. The Mob Doctor will almost certainly be canceled this coming Tuesday, October 2, right about noon time.

Comment by JC – September 29, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed CSINY last night.

Just my thoughts but I think they should put CSINY back to 9pm and have it and Blue Bloods back together, they seemed to fit/jelly together better

Comment by Nicola – September 29, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is seven million viewers a bad thing for a show? How many shows and networks would kill for that ammount of people to watch them?

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 29, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 7 million on CBS = bomb. 1 million+ on CW = hit. it’s just funny.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 29, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1) Advertisers largely buy against the rating, not total audience. (That I cite total viewers in addition to 18-49 performance is just to afford people a chance to see if a show is on gaining or losing in popularity.)
      2) When it comes to cancellation/renewal decisions, it’s not about beating the other guy so much as beating the other shows on your network, best explained by the fellows at TVByTheNumbers here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/09/24/outrunning-the-cancellation-bear-why-relative-ratings-matter-for-your-favorite-tv-shows/146379/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – September 29, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about Haven?

Comment by Miranda – October 1, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not so much the 7 million viewers as the 1.1 18-49 rating. Fringe got less than half the viewers, yet the same demo rating. Not very good by Fox or CBS standards, though.

Comment by Alex – September 29, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also don’t forget that Fridays on CW (which isn’t that pervasive in many markets), Spnl usually got between 0.6 and 0.9/1.0 in the 18-49 demo. That makes CBS numbers laughable.

Comment by Dean – October 1, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that I don’t care about ratings for Fringe anymore. This season is for the fans that stuck it out no matter what. Thank you to Fox and WB for keeping this show alive.

Comment by Brian Brewer (@BrianABrewer) – September 29, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ This.

Comment by niks – September 29, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the premiere was awesome. i’m so excited for this season, but also really sad.

I hope they’re going to have an awesome complete series blu-ray set.

Comment by leahbh – September 30, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame, really liked Made In Jersey, the lead is really likeable too.

Will wait until next week to really see how it did, anything is possible, hope it grows or at the very least levels off at this, really like the show.

Comment by Martin – September 29, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked it too, although the Jersey Italian stereotype was a little much when it came to the family. I’m from NY not NJ, but I don’t know any Italians that dress like that outside of fictional television shows.

Comment by Liz – September 29, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Liz – I have some relatives-in-law in NJ who dress *exactly* like her family on the show. They do exist.

Comment by Simon Jester – September 29, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye to the Jesey girl. Agree, put CSI HY where it belongs, back to 9pm time lot.

Comment by tahina – September 29, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “NBC’s Grimm (5.3 mil/1.6) topped the night in the demo, hitting its best rating since Jan. 20. The supernatural drama was also up in audience from its most recent Monday outing.”

Confused here. Grimm’s second season premiere (on a Monday on AUGUST 13) got a 2.0 in the demo. So what’s with the Jan 20 stuff? Do you mean “on Fridays”? If so, perhaps make that clearer?

Comment by Kay – September 29, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Its best Friday rating. I apologize to anyone who lost a bar bet this morning because of my lack of clarity.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 29, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha. Some people just take this may too seriously.

Comment by Cashisking – September 29, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for writing out FRIDAY in your report! Especially since you already has the Monday in your ORIGINAL report. Also, I would never ever have a bar bet in the morning! That would be scandalous! And certainly not based on your clarity or lack thereof. ;)

Comment by Kay – September 29, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad CSI:NY got a better audience than it was getting when it ended last season. And I’m glad it’s very consistent for a Friday night.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 29, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Grimm did well. I like the show, but I’m not sure about the major shifts in the show, yet. Not sure if I like that Hank is in on the Wesen thing. I thought the dialogue last night was consistently cheesy. I liked the Monday episodes fine, but last night I thought that if someone had never watched the show much, they probably wouldn’t watch again after the episode last night. The previews, however, looked pretty good.

Comment by Amy – September 29, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a Fringe fan and loved the premier. I am not surprised about Made in Jersey. CBS has had a revolving door on Fridays going back to Moonlight in, what, 2006? I make it a point to no longer watch new CBS programming on Fridays knowing it will be cancelled.

Comment by Fringe Fan – September 29, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn it – I had high hopes for Made in Jersey and thought the show would do well and would be renewed in the spring, but as I watched this opening episode, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. It wasn’t what I expected – at least in my mind, the storyline was very ‘connect-the-dots’ – zero surprises.

Now I see these numbers. I wish I could find the ratings for the show in 15 minute intervals – I bet they went down as the hour went on. A lot of people may have tuned in, and then like myself, started drifting away.

Now what? Well, we’ll see how next week’s numbers look, but I bet they flat line at best, go down at worst. Either way, these are not ‘CBS’ level numbers. Maybe on NBC the show could drift along for a full season, but not on CBS. CBS has to demand better- that’s how you win each season. CBS and Nina have another drama series in the wings – ‘Golden Boy’ [Stella Maeva, Bonnie Sommerville]. We may see that show sooner than expected on Friday nights. The other new CBS dramas did well this week – Elementary and Vegas. Hence, the CBS will need to focus on the weak-link shows – Jersey and Partners – they both may not make it to January.

It’s too bad – Janet Montgomery and the cast are quite good, but something isn’t quite right in the script or the story telling. And now, its probably too late to make the necessary changes. Made in Jersey – RIP.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – September 29, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m very up set Made in Jersey was a feel good show once again CBS gave me a reason to stop watching them I will to other stations before watching CBS TIRED of channel 6 Albany putting shows on I like and than ripping them away screw you !!!!

Comment by Nathan – January 1, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad what I watch live and watch later either by dvr or on demand do not help any of my shows/count in ratings

Comment by Patti – September 29, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless you have a Neilson box, it really doesn’t matter what you watch and when.

Comment by Gretchen – September 30, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS should have never cancelled Miami Medical nor A Gifted Man. Both shows had so much potential

At the moment, the same goes for Made In Jersey. Here’s hoping they tone down the family; and, focus more on the cases

Comment by Julie – September 29, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Made in Jersey was great. I hate the fact the ratings are not good. I mean 7m viewers is great for a Friday show but that 1.1 demo is bad. I hope it can improve but i have a feeling it wont.

I must say i am still pissed that CBS cancelled Ghost Whsiperer when it was doing very well on Fridays but life goes on and thats that.

Comment by greysfan – September 30, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it shouldn’t bother me and I probably wouldn’t watch anyway. But the show title – Made In Jersey – being played by Janet Montgomery from ENGLAND, just doesn’t work for me. I know, I know. I am lame. Just saying…….

Comment by daviduter – September 30, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just stop reporting on Fringe ratings. Yes, it will get trounced every week going up against Grimm. All the fans know this and don’t care. It’s not about improving ratings. We just want to see a great send off.

Comment by dman6015 – October 1, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked Made in Jersey very much! Hope they give it a chance and that the lead actress improves her accent

Comment by Emma – October 1, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Grimm but someone would have to pay me mucho dinero to watch Jersey Girl.

Comment by L – October 1, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say we tell CBS to kiss off tired of them taken good shows off the air bring back Made in Jersey and a Gifted Man !!!!!

Comment by Nathan – January 1, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post