Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Preview: CSI: NY Serves Up 'Fun' Days Off, Temptation for Flack and… a New Li'l Messer?

CSI: NY Season 9 PremierePerpetually on the bubble, CBS’ CSI: NY was blessed earlier this year with an unexpected ninth season, which launches tonight at 8/7c. Given the 11th hour reprieve, it would have been entirely understandable for executive producers Pam Veasey and Zach Reiter to approach this season as the long-running procedural’s last — but is it? Perhaps not, say the showrunners.

“I don’t think by any means we are creating this [season] as if it’s the end,” Reiter tells TVLine. Adds a confident Veasey, “We have a dedicated audience and we’ve been moved to Friday nights at 8 o’clock. We want to continue the franchise — which is now down to two.”

Read on for more scoop from the EPs, including what’s in store for guest star Rob Morrow, what a day off in the life of a crime scene investigator looks like and whether there’s a new baby Messer on the way.

TVLINE | How did you approach this season?
ZACH REITER: I wouldn’t want to say that it’s business as usual; it’s Season 9 and we’re taking more risks and changing things up for our characters, so it’s not just doing the same old thing by any stretch… Everybody would be happy to have a Season 10 if that were to come. We may find ourselves in a similar position, where we’re creating a finale that can operate as both a season and series finale. But in terms of the 17 episodes before that finale, no, we’re not operating as though it’s the end.
PAM VEASEY: All of the personal lives of ours characters haven’t come into the lab in previous years and this year we decided to take time throughout the season to spend a day off with each one within an episode. What do they do when they’re away from us and not doing work? In the episodes there will also be a crime, but that person won’t be a part of it.

RELATED | Exclusive: CSI: NY Casts Ringer Siren, Lizzie McGuire Alum in Season 9

TVLINE | Do any of the “day off” installments stand out as being particularly strong?
REITER: In terms of ones that have already been executed, we’ve created [a day-off story] for Flack that will appear in Episode 5 that is particularly satisfying.
VEASEY: You will meet his grandmother. And his sister Samantha (played by Kathleen Munroe) is back. It’s about family. It’s endearing and fun and charming, [and] you learn a little bit about his connection to his father.

TVLINE | Will fan faves Danny and Lindsay share their vacation day?
VEASEY: Right now, they have the same day off, but anything can happen. [Laughs] We have some ideas for them, but theirs doesn’t come up quickly in our season… They may get two days off: one with one [of them] off and one with the other. They will probably get serviced on the day off more than anyone else.

TVLINE | In explaining why NY got renewed over Miami earlier this year, CBS boss Nina Tassler alluded to your series being the more “fun” CSI. Does this season deliver on that lighter tone?
VEASEY: Yes, it does. They didn’t give us a mandate that now that we’re on at 8 we need to be really funny and charming and change what we’re doing. But you do take the idea that you’re opening a Friday night and that people want to come home and enjoy the start of their weekend… It’s not something you’re going to see right off the bat. We start our season with a really great two-parter that involves guest star Rob Morrow as an arsonist — not easy to laugh about that. [Laughs] But then we go into some really fun, delightful stories that make you smile. There’s some levity to it.

TVLINE | What else can you say about Rob Morrow’s arc?
REITER: He plays somebody who was an arsonist and finally got caught and spent the last 15 years in jail. Now, he is recently paroled and there are new fires that are popping up in New York City, so he is inevitably our first suspect in light of the timing and that some of the evidence mimics the old cases. He walks that tightrope because he’s a suspect, but he’s helping [the CSIs] solve this case — but is he playing them for a fool? So, it goes back and forth for a bit, and then takes a bigger turn in his second episode.

TVLINE | And how does Natalie Martinez join the fold?
VEASEY: We have Natalie recurring in the first half of the season as a detective in our precinct. She’s done a lot of great work. She’s working with Flack. It’s sort of a “will he go there again?” storyline. He had a love relationship years ago with a detective and this character tempts that idea again. She’s smart and she’s homegrown — there [are no women] on our show who are New Yorkers, so we wanted to add somebody with that flavor.

RELATED | Exclusive: CSI: NY Casts Justified Alum Neal McDonough as the ‘Ultimate Politician’

TVLINE | Any long-arc nemeses this season?
VEASEY: Nothing long-arc. We do occasionally bring in arcs with our guest stars, but it’s usually over just two or three episodes.

TVLINE | Is there a plan to have Jaime Ray Newman return as Mac’s late wife Claire? Or has that emotional device sort of played itself out?
REITER: We never want to close any doors. If we figure out something that makes sense and is really great and emotional, we’ll have her back. But it does feel that, at this point, it’s been put to bed. He’s moving on and has found somebody in Christine who can inspire him in that way.
VEASEY: You’ll learn that Christine helped Mac recuperate after the shooting last year; that’s something we explore at the top of the season. She’s in this relationship for the long haul with him — as is he, but there aren’t any definitive plans. They’re happy where they are, just growing and loving each other’s company.

TVLINE | Any parting Danny/Lindsay teases for those Messer superfans out there?
VEASEY: We left on a cliffhanger last season that they have to make some choices about where they live and how their lifestyle moves forward: How do they keep continuing to do this as parents? Do they move out of the city? Do they become the suburb people? They’re going to make family choices about Lucy and their family, and also about adding another. Will there be another Messer? [Laughs] It’s just a conversation, know that! I don’t want to have Anna Belknap come in and tell me she’s going to get pregnant.

Comments (31)

• Great article. Sounds like this season is going to be awesome!!

Comment by Rhylee – September 28, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice article! Thank you!! I’m really looking forward to the Danny/Lindsay stuff and the Flack storyline!

Comment by Stacie – September 28, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the great interview. I’m happy to see Flack will have a storyline and we’ll get to meet more of his family. I’m loving the Danny/Lindsay storyline plans as well. Sounds like a great season!

Comment by Juliab. – September 28, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that they have a Rob Morrow story :) An amazing actoer, he should appear more often on TV…

Comment by missJ – September 28, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You didn’t say a word about ‘Jo’. :(

Comment by Gigi – September 28, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds very interesting. Looking forward to more from Danny and Lindsay this season. I’m really looking forward to more about Flack, his sister and this new detective as well. Thanks so much for the scoop. : )

Comment by Haley – September 28, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Danny and Lindsay get separate days off. They’ve been tied together since S3 and it would be nice for Danny to get some development independent of Lindsay. I also hope they don’t add another kid. Stop being predictable and boring with them. I’m looking forward to Flack’s day off. I’ve always been curious about his relationship with his father.

Comment by Tracy – September 28, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Tracy. What’s “predictable” is your comment. If Lucy is supposed to be 4 or 5, it seems natural that the discussion of having more kids would come up. Thanks for the article TV Line. Looking forward to this season.

Comment by CindyH – September 28, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking foreard to the new season and its theme of having day-offs with the CSIs. We’ve seen Mac do a case in his dayoff once but not the other CSIs so this is a great idea.

I agree we should see Danny and Lindsay in separate dayoffs.

I already like Jaime Lovato (theywant it to sound like Demi Lovato?). I hope we see her in many episodes.

Thanks for the article TV Line! I’m ready for tonight’s premiere.

Comment by King – September 28, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I very happy to see the new season and I have been a Adam Ross fan ever since season 2ther shoud be more episodes with him in them and about him I hope there will be!

Comment by rachel – September 28, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you, Megan!! This freaking made my not so pleasant week worth it. Everything sounds interesting, love the idea of going home with the characters in their day off, I think we as an audience work hard for that. ;) BTW, I’m team “baby boy Messer” !!

Comment by Jess – September 28, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally loved this article! Yay for Danny and Lindsay getting multiple days off! I can’t wait to see this discussion about possibly having another baby. I see Danny being all for that idea. Lindsay being more hesitant about it maybe. Thanks for this!!

Comment by Robin – September 28, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE THIS! Thank you Nina Tassler and CBS for renewing CSI:NY. It *is* definitely more fun! I would have been gutted without it! I don’t even miss CSI:Miami, and I would’ve missed CSI:NY for a long time!

I love Pam Veasey, and how she delivers what she promises! They’ve had such great storylines and season finales for the last couple of years! I think it’s likely CBS will keep them for another year, because it’s risky bringing a new show in on Friday night. Or so I hope <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 28, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the awesome article! I hope this isn’t the last season, but if it is I’m sure it’ll be a good one. And I’m all for Lucy having a sibling.

Comment by Lisa – September 28, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the article. And @Lisa I’m with you. I would love to see D/L adding to their family or at least discussing it.

Comment by Hailie – September 28, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is Pam Veasey going to stop shoving Mac/Christine down our throats?! This ill-conceived, badly written, chemistry-free disaster of a “relationship” needs to end. Soon. I have nothing against happiness for Mac, I’d just like it to be watchable and somewhat relevant to the show. This is neither.

Comment by Zuckerschnute – September 28, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Zuckerschnute You wouldn’t happen to be a Mac/Jo fan would you?

Comment by CindH – September 28, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What’s your point?

Comment by Zuckerschnute – September 29, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My point is, it makes sense you would trash Mac and Christine if you want Mac with someone else. i.e Jo.

Comment by CindH – September 29, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i would love to see mac and christine :)

Comment by rosalyna – October 2, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
          • A few shows have already proved that it is achievable to create a nice, sweet and most of all interesting relationship between a main character and an ‘external’ one. CSI fails to do that, so here I agree with Zuckerschunte. I just can’t stand Christine. Anyone but her. And before anyone asks, I do not ship Jo and Mac. All I want are well-written, well-acted and non-artificial characters. Christine is the opposite of that.

Comment by Yvy – November 10, 2012 07:11 AM PDT
    • i have to agree there is way too much storyline with christine, she adds nothing to the show, its a crime solving drama, not love interest

Comment by kimmie – November 4, 2012 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i am not a big fan of mac/christine relationship, i liked peyton or stella. The love interest thing takes away from the crime drama to me, i rather see them do crimes than the love thing

Comment by kimmieb50 – November 15, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for the scoop! Love the idea of Danny/Lindsay discussing another baby, and to have some time off with them. Loving all of the Danny/Lindsay stuff I’m hearing about this season. I’ve really missed them. Thanks!!!

Comment by Jayne Morgan (@jmorgue) – September 28, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wanted so much to love this episode, but way too much Christine storyline. Season 8 ended with Mac and his true family back together, and yet we did not see one instance with the team and Mac during his rehab. Cbs put out a poll on its website last season asking if fans wanted the Mac/Christine relationship to continue, and 87% said no…CSI NY producers, were you not listening? What makes this show great is the relationship with Mac and the team. Please focus on that!

Comment by Cbs viewer – September 28, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i have to agree the show is about the crime solving and the team, not the love relationships

Comment by kimmie – November 4, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I am always excited for more with Flack! (Best character on the show IMHO) But they really need to give Adam a little bit more development. While I do love the character, I am slowly starting to find him annoying.

Comment by Sam – September 29, 2012 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad to see Mac sad, he usually ends up alone.. He deserves to be happy with Christine. give him the credit or give give her the credit unless he ends up with Megan.In general, showcasing the character’s personal lives benefits the show its tender and redeeming aspects. It’s really one good show. Only thing is, it somehow leaves Adam behind obscurity.

Comment by rowe n. – October 2, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy watching crime shows and csi ny and ncis, i am not liking the same thing going on with the both shows, the leader has something happen to his late wife and he goes from woman to woman, i personnel did not like the mac/christine relationship, something about it is off, its like she seems needy not a good fit, i like the crime aspect more than the love interest thing

Comment by kimmie – October 27, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sorry pam veasey is the worst writer producer because of the bring megan dobbs on the show and takin peyton off csiny. fianlly iam sorry melina danny and lindsey are the worst storylinesactors on csiny and don adam sid sheldon gary and sela are the best. all i can say is don and jamie should be married and mac and joe should get matrried. I hope that we have seen the last of mac and christine the biggest mistake csiny made and moving it to friday night.

Comment by maria argyros – January 26, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the bigges mistake is pam veasey and the worst csin storylines like 333 taxi driver and hiring melina and letting her write and direct the epooside. finally bring back peyton so her and mac a\can get married and have children and lets see don married to natalie on csinyh

Comment by maria argyros – January 26, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post