Ratings: Modern Family Returns Strong, Is Good to Its Neighbors; CSI, SVU and Minds Hit Lows

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

The Modern Family ties are still strong, as the ABC comedy returned on Wednesday to 14.2 million total viewers and a 5.5 demo rating, dominating the night and dipping just a few percentage points from its year-ago opener.

Alas, that set up ABC’s Neighbors — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “D” — for a solid debut: 9.3 million viewers and a 3.3 rating, up sharply from the Apartment 23 and Happy Endings launches, yet demonstrating lesser retention of its lead-in (60 percent vs. about 70 percent).

Leading off the night for ABC, The Middle drew 9 mil and a 2.8, down 7 and 10 percent from its previous premiere, while a Revenge recap special placed a distant third at 10 pm.

Elsewhere on Wednesday….

* On CBS, Survivor (10.2 mil/3.0) was down 11 and 6 percent, Criminal Minds (11.6 mil/3.1) dropped 18 and 24 percent and delivered its lowest-rated premiere ever, as did CSI (down 16 and 22 percent to 10.7 mil/2.5). CSI, however, was on par with its season finale, whereas Minds… wasnt.

* Fox’s The X Factor (9.45 mil/3.3) led the 8 o’clock hour in the demo, and dipped just 8 percent in the demo week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Call Him Maybe… Unconscious?

* NBC’s Animal Practice (5.2 mil/1.4) was down sharply from its aprés-Olympics sneak preview (12.8 mil/4.1) and was down 39 percent from Up All Night‘s year-ago demo rating. Guys With Kids (4.8 mil/1.6) built on that lead-in, and rose more than 20 percent from its premiere. SVU‘s two-hour opener drew 7.1 mil and a 2.1, up a tenth in the demo from its finale but down 12 percent year-over-year to hit a premiere low.

COMING NEXT WEDNESDAY: The Neighbors moves to its regular 8:30 slot, Supernatural returns.

Comments (58)

• happy for ABC cant wait to see how sundays does.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – September 27, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that these numbers do not make anyone think that The Neighbors is a better show than Happy Endings or Don’t Trust the B.

Comment by Andie Hiestand (@andiehiestand) – September 27, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. When I saw those numbers I couldn’t believe it. Hopefully people know better than watch again.

Comment by Tom Charles – September 27, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds didn’t end the season on the tradtional cliffhanger so their opener isn’t perhaps as must see as usual. We know they’re all back with a new addition to the team. Thats certainly how I feel and I still have to wait for UK showing.

Comment by laura meakin – September 27, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the past I’ve been a huge Criminal Minds fan but could only sit through 2 minutes of the new addition before switching channels. I didn’t like her.

Comment by Linda – September 27, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just two minutes? Clearly you had no intention of giving her a chance.

Comment by meem – September 27, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am a huge CM fan but not a fan of JT. I have to agree with Linda. I gave it to the first commercial and turned it off. Everything seemed forced and without chemistry. As much as I love CM, I don’t think I can watch it with JT. While others will disagree, I think she is just “blah” and adds little.

Comment by Dee Litner – September 27, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anyone who is a huge Criminal Minds fan wouldn’t turn it off after two minutes. So there’s one person on the team who don’t like? There are six others members…

Comment by HannahC – September 27, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I made myself watch it all and will give it a few more tries for the rest of the team but I didn’t like Alex and everyone just seemed to “forced” or something. I guess it was to introduce new character but it is way too early for her yo be the one “leading” the case.

Comment by Teresa – September 27, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The SVU note surprises me….sure, that show’s long in the tooth, but the season premiere kicked some serious butt!

Comment by Melanie J. – September 27, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, SVU has jumped the shark.

Comment by Alienate – September 27, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…it was one of their stronger story arcs recently.

Comment by Pat D. – September 27, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe ABC ordered episodes of “The Neighbors”. It was just awful.

Comment by terithecook – September 27, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We know that America is a messed up place when The Neighbors can get above a 3.0 rating. Week to week retention on that one will be interesting, especially without Modern Family to give it a boost…

Comment by Alex – September 27, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys raggin’ on The Neighbors obviously didn’t watch it. It was hilarious, and Jami Gertz is simply comedy gold. Kudos for ABC for thinking outside the box.

Comment by pantheralumguy – September 27, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! This is a very funny show (at least, the pilot was…)

Comment by Timmy Bauer – September 27, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It can’t be worse than Crappy Endings.

Comment by Joe – September 27, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Criminal Minds (11.6 mil/3.1) dropped 18 and 24 percent and delivered its lowest-rated premiere ever… CSI, however, was on par with its season finale, whereas Minds… wasn’t.”
    Heh, sounds about right. Get Paget back!

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 27, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop it already. Paget left because she WANTED TO.

Comment by meem – September 27, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And she’s said in numerous interviews she’d love to make a guest appearance(s); she WANTS to.
        So get her back! For the fans, for the ratings…

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 27, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Strange enough Paget was on SVU last night. For a second there I thought I was watching the wrong channel because I had Minds on the DVR :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 27, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • loved her on SVU!!! she killed it!!! She were amazing from the beginning til the end.

Comment by kendallmh – September 27, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree; Paget was brilliant! As was Dean Winters, one of my faves. I wonder, though,if ratings continue to be down ’cause people are missing Chris Meloni; I know I am.

Comment by Pat Graney – September 27, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dumb families that watch Modern Family will watch dumb aliens. They however will not watch actually funny shows for adults like Happy Endings and Apt. 23…

Comment by Chris – September 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch Modern Family, Apt 23 & Happy Endings. The Neighbors was the most deplorable show in a long time.

Comment by TTB – September 27, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch Modern Family but refuse to watch The Neighbors. Happy Endings isn’t that funny to me but I do like Don’t Trust the B, so you’re wrong.

Comment by sam – September 28, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Animal Practice is AWFUL. So tired of the douche-boat male comedic lead on a television show.
    However, I’m surprised at how amusing Guys W/ Kids is.

Comment by Julie – September 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guys With Kids unimpressive, run of the of the mill nothing to write home about. I actually hate it worse than I hate Whitney and I HATE Whitney

Comment by Tom Charles – September 27, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised by the low SVU number. The audience doesn’t give a crap about Cragen. He can die, leave, whatever-it doesn’t matter.

Comment by TMW – September 27, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • False. The Cragen cliffhanger was the only reason why I watched SVU last night and DVR’d Minds. Now that it’s resolved next week it will be Criminal Minds and Supernatural. I’ll check in on SVU now and then when the others are repeats.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 27, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will only watch SVU this season when Erbe from Criminal Intent guest stars. Hated that they cancelled CI.

Comment by Annie – September 27, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dismissing an opinion as “false” is not exactly the correct way to respond to an opinion. You actually disagreed with it, is all.

The Cragen/hooker storyline willl apparently be continued for at least five more episodes. This would seem to be a mistake.

Comment by TMW – September 27, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, I love this. Hilarious!

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 27, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Joanna Garcia. She just goes from one clunker to another.

Comment by meem – September 27, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Criminal Minds on Tuesday night (thank you CTV) and really enjoyed it. As for SVU, wasn’t here, so I PVR’d it. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – September 27, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family juggernaut just doesn’t seem to stop! I like the show, but it doesn’t deserve all the awards its getting.
    Keep calm people! The Neighbors had its debut and its not surprising to see it post such numbers since a lot of people would be interested to see what it was about and with Modern Family as its lead-in, that was to be expected! It’ll be cancelled soon!
    Can’t wait for Supernatural to start next week! The wait is killing me!

Comment by GK – September 27, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Modern Family has a fantastic cast and what not, but it’s little more than a clone of the office about a family. It’s far from original. There is no reason ALL the adults need Emmy nominations. Sofia Vegara is overrated, and Cameron is largely a stereotype that shouldn’t be celebrated.

Comment by Tom Charles – September 27, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve given up on Criminal Minds this season. I used to be a big fan of SVU, but when the cast switched up I stopped watching. I did see the SVU premiere with Paget, and I really liked it. I’m going to tune in next week even. I just wish they would keep Brian Cassidy around!

Comment by Em – September 27, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lasted about 7 minutes into The Neighbors. I loved Jami Gertz on Still Standing. I just felt bad for her on Neighbors. What was ABC thinking?

Comment by Cy – September 27, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. She deserves to be on a much better show. I wish Still Standing was still on!

Comment by Mikael – September 28, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The neighbors was cute but not in a I will watch that every week sort of cute. Too bad Jami Gertz can’t find a decent show to be on.

Comment by Fballs – September 27, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think main reason Criminal Minds was down so much was there was no major cliffhanger for like first time ever at last season finale.

Hope Animal Practice goes up next week, actually really funny, although would be a lot less funny without the monkey.

Comment by Martin – September 27, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is I am so excited for Supernatural to be back next Wednesday! I would’ve watched it any day, but I’m glad they moved it from Friday. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – September 27, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised by Criminal Minds’ numbers. Don’t know what the adjustments will do to them (could go up or down), But if you look at Criminal Minds ratings for last season, three of the four highest rated episodes in both demo and total viewers focused on Paget Brewster’s Emily Prentiss character. These premiere numbers are close to the lowest numbers Criminal Minds got last season, episodes that did not focus on Paget’s character but on JJ or Erica Messer’s obsession with Beth. I don’t think the drop is attributed solely to Paget leaving, but CM has had two and a half years of uneven to downright bad writing and last year Erica Messer showed me she couldn’t run a show properly. I think some have just had it and Paget leaving was the final straw for them.

Comment by Birdie – September 27, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have a great point there. I’m a huge fan of the show but it will be hard for me to watch without Paget because some of the best episodes from the past seasons were the ones in which she appeared a lot. The last season was just OK because even if I really wanted her to come back after what happened Erica Messer didn’t take advantage of Paget’s return and she didn’t have as much relevance as in other seasons.

The problem of CM is that sometimes it appears there is a lot of people there who aren’t really so the characters are many times bad used.

Comment by Amaia – September 28, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Modern Family, but last night wasn’t that great to me. Love Criminal Minds and hope it improves. Love Paget Brewster. However she chose to leave.

Comment by J V Smith – September 27, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I was the only one not feeling it. It just struck me as not that funny and I was expecting so much more with Gloria being pregnant.

Comment by Kammy – September 27, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved The Neighbors! It was so much better than I thought it would be, great lines, very funny…in fact, I didn’t want it to end, that half hour flew by!

Comment by Kathy – September 27, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone watch Suvivor last night? Was Russell such a D.B last time he did it?

Comment by Paul V – September 27, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he was. I remember feeling pretty bad for him after he was pulled from the game. I can’t stand him this time around though. It’s okay though, I imagine he’ll be getting the boot soon enough.

Comment by tripoli – September 27, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds and Modern Family were great as usual last night. Tripplehorn is a good addition to me. Her character is a mystery to me, which I like, plus she has beef with Strauss, which I like even more. MF did a good job of the pregnancy introduction last night. Loved it!!

Comment by Justin – September 27, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering how many people missed the “new scene” during the final minutes of Revenge: The First Chapter. I’m sure it will lead off Sunday’s season Premiere episode, but I’m shocked no one has mentioned it yet – that I am aware of anyway….

Comment by dsm – September 27, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Neighbors was AWFUL – the only possible reason for it’s ratings was having Modern Family before it.

I enjoyed Guys With Kids but being up against The Middle, it doesn’t really stand a chance.

Comment by Beth Ann – September 27, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel bad for CSI because, as the numbers show people are watching, and yet… radio silence. I can’t find anyone other than my husband to talk to about the show. I believe Ted Danson was an inspired choice to bring the show back from the brink of irrelevance and tedium that we suffered when the fantastic Larry Fishburne was on the show and the writers mucked it all up.

Where is the love for CSI, kids? Last night’s pick up from the cliffhanger was more tense than the cliffhanger of last season. The show is getting better each time I see it, thought I would argue this season Sarah needs to leave. I’ve had it with her. I’m thisclose to being convinced the actress playing her needs to go back to acting classes. Harsh, I know. Sorry.

Comment by Lilly – September 27, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have watched every “CSI” from the beginning. I agree with you that Laurence Fishburne (his character created by the writing – not the actor) destroyed the show. Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue have been great cast additions. Although, I do miss Catherine. I see it maybe getting one more season after this one, but I doubt it will go beyond that.

Comment by Brian – September 27, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give Modern Family a lot of crap for how cookie cutter it is and how much I hate that they dominate award shows, but I admit, it’s still the first show I fire up on the DVR when I get home on Wednesdays nights. It’s the best thing on Wednesday nights at least, I’ll give it that.
    Speaking of shows I give a hard time, I just watched those two New Girl episodes last night that were from Tuesday. I gave that show a really hard time for its first season and gagged on the thought it was getting nominated for Emmys. Well, I am already liking season 2 much more immensely than season 1. If they keep going the rest of the season the way those first two episodes went, this could easily be one of my favorite shows for the year. I’m so happy to see they stepped things up. I did always think they had potential, and I’m glad to see they reached it. I had to rewind and watch the leaping scene 3 times I was laughing so hard.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 27, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought neighbors was really fun the main alien dad had good comedic timing, 2nd ep of guys w/ kids was funnier than the first, LOVING this season of hell on wheels

Comment by jake – September 27, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neighbors doesn’t move to the new timeslot next week….nothings on next Wed because of the debate :( Wait 4 months for new eps and lose a week of new ones because Obama and Romney want to b@#$% at each other more. Sucks!

Comment by crtcw – September 27, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post