Exclusive

Exclusive: Kirstie Alley to Headline TV Land Comedy Pilot Giant Baby

Kirstie Alley New ShowKirstie Alley is returning to her comedy roots as the star of the potential new TV Land sitcom Giant Baby, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The cabler has ordered a cast-contingent presentation – a short teaser to give the network a feel for the potential pilot/series – that stars the current Dancing With the Stars hoofer as Maddie Banks, a Broadway star who comes face-to-face with the son she gave up for adoption 26 years before. Because the young man, Owen, is a nerdy schlub, Maddie tries to make him over to better fit her fabulous lifestyle. And when that backfires, she realizes it might be time to change herself a bit, too.

Baby is written and exec-produced by Animal Practice showrunner Marco Pennette (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives) with Alley and Jason Weinberg (Kirstie Alley’s Big Life) also exec-producing.

Alley played Cheers’ Rebecca Howe for seven years and headlined her own NBC sitcom, Veronica’s Closet, for three seasons. Her most recent series was Kirstie Alley’s Big Life, a semi-scripted reality show about her life and weight-loss attempts.

1. L says:

Yea! Anything with Kirstie back using her comedic talents im all for it! They need to strengthen up that plot though.

• Eli says:

She may be Scientolo-coocoo but damn she’s a funny lady! I’ll watch anything she’s in!…As for the plot, I hope they take in a different direction than the one Jane Levy had on Hot in Cleveland. I also hope it never includes any kind of plots about weight gain/loss, she’s done that too much on way too many shows. Her “resume” up there is missing Fat Actress btw!

• pat gleason says:

WE ALL LOVE KIRSTIE. From Gainesville, Fl

• R.G. HATTEN says:

i have seen most of the commercials and was ready to tune in UNTIL I heard some of the foul language,especially by Rhea Pearlman. PLEASE NOTIFY THE WRITERS “GOD DOES NOT HAVE A LAST NAME” AND YOU’D BETTER CHANGE YOUR LINES OR FACE A “MIGHTY POWERFUL LORD” WHO DOES NOT APPROVE OF PEOPLE, LIKE YOU, TAKING HIS NAME IN VAIN. YOU BETTER BELIEVE NON OF US ENJOY HEARING THIS FILTH COME OUT OF WOMEN’S MOUTHS. IT IS NOT BECOMMING OR FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      R. HATTEN

2. Lemme guess; Maks is gonna play the baby…

3. Leigh says:

Kirstie was on Cheers for only 6 seasons.

4. Jinjeon says:

Great news! I love Kirstie and it’s nice she’s having career resurgence. TV Land is a perfect place for TV vets to come.

5. Mrs. D says:

Kirstie is a talented woman. I’d love to see her back in the game! And BTW you didn’t have to remind most of us who she is! LOL

6. Dizzle says:

This is definitely good news. Kirstie Alley is such a committed comedy actress, she throws herself into every role 110%. I just hope this show isn’t as banal as TV Land’s other original offerings. Everything they have made so far plays like bad 90’s Fox shows.

7. Kirstie Alley was only on cheers for 6 seasons!

8. The Jonathan Coulton song for a theme?

9. scorpo says:

What happened to the show she was supposed to be doing, something where she played the wife in an Italian family?

10. Charlee says:

And I shall be watching “It Takes Two” this weekend…

11. teamo says:

Love Kirstie..and TVLAND is perfect for her return to TV. But I was also looking forward to the pilot she did for ABC that never got picked up.

12. jules says:

Love love Kirstie! So glad she has another opportunity to wow us..was looking forward to the Manzani’s that ABC didn’t pick up.
    I think she needs to host her own talk show!

13. Layn Capaldi says:

Any platform…any channel I will be watching!! Been way to long!!! 7 kids, 6 grandkids 1 greatgrandkid n you guessed it… One named kirstie!! Such a beautiful woman and a great talent God bless!!

14. Susan says:

Kirstie has amazing comedic timing & is such a survivor! And – by the way-I checked out Scientology & it totally makes sense. People should really check it out for themselves versus listening to media rants. It’s actually helped me & my life & friends tremendously.

• Pearl says:

Every religion, even the agnostic ones, have good people and bad people in it. Usually the teachings are valuable but some people in it will screw it up with their ego and greed. So just becuz Scientology has bad things going on, does not mean it has no good things going on. It is true with every religion. And if it works for Kirstie, then it must be good for her. If it does not work for you, go else where. I personally am not attracted to Scientology. Yet Kirstie and everyone should be viewed as human being first and not her religion or anything else. Just saying to habitual haters and ignorant haters.

15. iluvtv says:

Kirstie back on anything I’ll watch. what about the ABC show?

16. Pearl says:

ABC is crazy to not pick up anything that Kirstie is in, look at how popular and entertaining she is on DWTS. Who cares about dancing skills when she is so fun to watch! Put her in a good comedy and I will clear my schedule to watch.

17. I love Kirstie & she is a complete hoot! Can’t wait to see her back in her own show. I’ll be watching it for sure! She is a comic genius and a smart business woman. As far as Scientology, it’s not for me, but if it works for her, great. I talk to her frequently online & while she will answer a serious question about it, she has never tried to push it to me or anyone else that I’ve read.