Blind Item: The Grim Reaper's About to Claim the Life of a Beloved Leading Lady!

UPDATE: BLIND ITEM SOLVED! You know how hard you usually work to identify the subject of our blind items? You may not wanna do that today, because once you figure out who this one’s about, you’re probably not gonna like it!

You see, a longish-running (more than four seasons but fewer than nine), 60-minute series is gearing up to bump off one of its lead female stars. Even more upsetting, the soon-to-be-deceased is going to meet her maker off screen. (Her “last” episode will take place at her funeral. Closed-casket, even!)

RELATED | X-Rated Blind Item Revealed!

That the actress in question is on her way out won’t come entirely as a shock, mind you — for a while, the writing’s been on the wall, if not on her character’s tombstone. But, since you won’t get a chance to say a proper, sorta in-person goodbye, it’s highly likely there will be a bit of backlash.

So, do you dare wager a guess as to whom is about to become roadkill? Hit the comments below.

1. maya says:

Arizona on Greys

• DarkDefender says:

LaGuerta gets my vote (I’d prefer to see her on Dex’s table).. But with her new “investigation” to clear Doakes’ name.. And the decline of her character in the last 2 seasons.. She fits the BI pretty well.

• JC says:

Anyone consider Deb instead of LaGuerta? To me this makes perfect sense…As soon as she found out Dex’s secret, there’s no place else to go but for her to die. Of course, Dexter can’t kill her, so it would be emotionally resonant if she died accidentally and this solved his ‘problem.’

• Carla says:

He said that it’s a lead character whose role has “declined” — if anything, with her making Lieutenant and finding out about Dexter and all her involvement lately — she’s more in the forefront than ever.

• JC says:

Actually, no, Ausiello doesn’t say that. He says that her demise has been “writing on the wall for awhile”….like since the first season when she was on Rudy’s table and Dex almost took her out…and now, like all other characters who have learned of Dexter’s “hobby” have been killed…

• JennyS says:

After the latest Dexter episode, I think it could be Deb. When Dexter confronted Hannah about Sal Price’s death, Hannah said she figured he would die while driving. Could she pull the same stunt with Deb?

2. Lauren's hair is pretty says:

Serena on Gossip Girl

3. Babybop says:

At first I thought Vampire Diaries, but it doesn’t have more than four seasons. Maybe Grey’s? I’m not sure how many seasons that has…

• Ben says:

Grey’s is about to start its ninth season. I guess it is made clear in the article that the series in question existed for less than 9 years, in order to exclude that possibility.

4. Cheryl says:

Claudia Joy on Army Wives

5. Jared Munson says:

Addison on “Private Practice”? I don’t watch the series, but we know she’s leaving the show right?

6. Leah says:

Private Practice?

7. Ed says:

They wouldn’t kill off Addison would they? :-/

8. BruSimm says:

Egads, this sounds like a word problem in an algebra class!!!

9. kellie says:

I REALLY hope it’s no one on Castle.

• TM says:

Castle only has one lead female character, and the article says ” One of its lead female characters” so I doubt it.

• Hannah says:

I was thinking the same thing. Of course it wouldn’t be Beckett, and I’d be really sad if they killed of Alexis or Martha. But, I don’t think it would be from Castle. (Considering this is supposed to be a lighter happier season). That makes me happy because Castle is the only tv show I really care about.

• Katherine215 says:

Beckett’s the only leading lady on Castle and it wouldn’t be a show without her. So, I think rationally it can’t be her, though I definitely had my own little jolt of fear for Beckett when reading this!

• Good thing about this item, they wouldn’t kill Beckett or Brennan (from Bones) unless it was a really, really messed up season finale.

• Amanda says:

Beckett is the only leading lady on Castle? I would consider Alexis, Martha, Lanie, and Gates to all be leading ladies.

• Ginny says:

No way! Alexis and Lanie are at best regulars. They’re not leads. There are two leads on Castle. Castle and Beckett. If everyone who was regularly on the show was a lead, then the term lead would mean nothing….

• Ashleytv says:

Disagree, completely. Ryan, Javi, Martha, and Alexis appear in EVERY episode, thus they are leads. They may not have as many scenes as Caskett, but that doesn’t make them any less leads. Lanie is recurring – she doesn’t appear as regularly. Gates I’d call a regular guest star.

• Ginny says:

And Jon Cryer was in EVERY episode of Two and A Half Men, yet was considered a supporting actor until Charlie Sheen yet. It’s not about how often you are in the show; it’s about the size of your part! Seems pretty obvious to me… VVVVVVVVV

• Alichat says:

Ginny is correct on this. Fillion and Katic are the leads on Castle. Just because you are a regular cast member, it doesn’t make you a lead.

• @Ginny Jon Cryer put himself in the supporting category all the years Sheen was on. He felt he had a better chance to win. Actors and actresses get to decide if they are lead or supporting. It doesn’t necessarily matter if they are in every scene or not. Just like all the Friends decided together that they were all leads. And Modern Family all decided they are supporting.

• KevyB says:

That’s a complete misunderstanding of the word “lead”. The “leads” are the lead characters, not characters who appear in every episode. On Bones, that’s Booth and Brennan. On The Good Wife, it’s Alicia. On Castle, it’s Beckett and Castle. On true ensemble shows, there aren’t leads, like Glee or Game of Thrones. But Castle is nowhere near an ensemble show.

• Exactly, from the shows that I watch, the only ensamble shows woud be Private Practice (which has been ruled out) and Criminal Minds, which has absolutely nothing to suggest anyone would leave — no writing on the wall, Tripplehorn just joined the cast. I’d safely rule out those two.

• Katherine215 says:

Isn’t this technically based on amount of dialogue? Alexis, Martha, Lanie, and Gates, while beloved, usually have around 2-4 short scenes each episode. Castle and Beckett are leads, the rest are supporting cast.

• luli says:

lanie is a regular isnt she?

10. T says:

When will the answer be revealed?

11. Behzad says:

Paget Brewster on Criminal minds .

• xav says:

Maybe. But she’s already left the show and her character has been dealt with.

• Saint Alicia says:

If they turn around and pull this bullsh-t…

• Mik says:

Yeah, it could be Prentis… But it would be kind of weird. Her dying and everyone very sad, then they find out she’s alive and then she dies again. But yeah, Brewster is a good guess.

• Michelle Kufs says:

that would be a dick move on their part — they’ve already killed her off AND written her off, there’d be no point to killing her again other than to upset the fans

• Charlotte says:

Since she’s already left the show, she can’t really be considered one if its female leads, so I doubt it’s her.

• Hardly — she’s already been livingly written of the show. Besides, Erica Messer said more than once that she would not kill Prentiss.

• Michael says:

It isn’t Prentiss. One of the showrunners/head writers said that she considered killing her off but that they had been-there-done-that with her fake death, so she just sent her away quietly.

• Angela says:

Everyone knew the season finale was Paget’s last episode, but they’ve left it open that she could come back – they even referenced her character in last night’s season premiere. So I don’t see why they’d kill her off now.

12. Kayla says:

Addison on Private Practice?

13. Adam says:

Perhaps that’s how we get to say goodbye to Addison Montgomery on Private Practice?

• Jen says:

“…for a while, the writing’s been on the wall, if not on her character’s tombstone”

There has not been any iffy scenarios about Addison leaving to date. Adopting her son, having to decide between 2 lovers is not pointing to an imminent exit. It it weren’t for the fact that we know Kate Walsh is leaving, Addison would not even be in the running for this blind.

14. LW says:

Kim Delaney from Army Wives

• xav says:

Probably that one, what with the rumours.

• George says:

I don’t even watch Army Wives,but this is what first came to mind since the whole renewal/who’s staying has been big in the TV press lately with her name coming up quite a bit.

• carolinagirl says:

That would be my guess as well. She has not signed a contract for the next season and would only return in a limited capacity at best. I told my daughter at the end of the season finale that the plane didn’t crash but Claudia Joy had died!!

• Kayla says:

That thought never crossed my mind until I read your comment. I take back my comment on it possibly be Addison. It’s probably Claudia Joy. That makes more sense.

• Sarah says:

I just thinking that the other day.

• kjess says:

I thought the same thing – the phone call was about Claudia Joy, not the plane crash. Either way, it was a bad ending considering they didn’t know they were being renewed before the episode aired! That would’ve been the worst series final ever!

15. Karen says:

Since Mad Men has not begun shooting yet, and there’s some time till it starts up again, I’m still fearing it might be Peggy. If it is, I’ll be mad as all hell!

16. Joan says:

I’m thinking Amelia on Private Practice. They wouldn’t kill Addison, and she’s the next best thing (Don’t think they’d do it to Violet either)

17. LC says:

He didn’t say network or cable, so I’m going to guess Gemma on SOA. Katie Sagal is looking at doing another project for FX.

18. LilAngel says:

addison on Private Practice but I hope Shonda Rhimes wouldn’t do that (even though she has a record of bad writing off) or Claudia Joy on Army wives

19. Masa says:

My first thought was also – Addison from PP

20. Meredith Grey – Grey’s Anatomy?

21. Guest says:

Could be Gemma or Tara on Sons.

22. Leah says:

Tara or Gemma on Sons of Anarchy?

• Guest says:

Great minds think alike. There is definitely at least one more major player getting axed this yr….

• Alice says:

Sons of Anarchy waste an opportunity to kill off a character on screen and in a violent manner? No way. They are all about the on-screen death scenes.

• Sally says:

But, after this week’s upsetting death, Kurt Sutter said if there was another death in the near future, it wouldn’t be as gruesome (considering he had two really hideous on air deaths in 3 eps, I think he has filled his quota). I was thinking Gemma or Tara. I might have to stop watching if it is one of them – how could the show go on without turning Jax into a monster after something like that? I don’t care much for Tara but her and Jax’s relationship is the only heart and softness left in the show (as little as it is soft). Katey Sagal is the reason I started watching the show in the first place – I’m not loving what they have been doing with her character lately, but I would be very upset if they killed her off – but someone did point out that she is in talks to do a new show for FX, so…

• Eliza says:

I don’t think either would be killed off-screen and with a closed casket funeral. And while I have been mentally and emotionally preparing myself for Gemma or Tara’s deaths, I hope it’s not anytime soon (or ever! But if Katey is doing a new show, it doesn’t sound good for Gemma). They are the mother and wife of the main character and I really don’t want to see Jax suffer anymore emotional pain/devastation right now. Especially with Tara. My goodness, he doesn’t love anyone like he does her. He would be totally broken, worse than Opie was with Donna. And Tara is actually one of my favorites. I might have to take a long pause from the show if she is killed. Love the much needed layer she brings to Jax. I agree with you about what they’re doing with Gemma’s character. Not too crazy about the storyline of her war with Tara either. I knew there would be some power play but not liking much of the stuff happening.

• Kim says:

What if there was an explosion? That might explain it. Also, don’t Gemma, Jax and Abel share a pretty serious heart condition? The one that killed Jax’s younger brother?

• Ginny says:

Gemma is my guess! Writing has definitely been on the wall there!

• Megan says:

Majority of the fandom hates Tara so “beloved” is the wrong word to describe her but Gemma fits though. I know her character is doing lots of questionable things now but fans still love her. Would Sutter give his favorite character an off screen send off?

• BrianR says:

Most of the haters are females who want Jax. As a male I love Tara and would likely not watch the show ever again if she dies.

• chris says:

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eliza says:

Yup, I feel that’s the case for a good number of people. I guess I’m in the minority of being female and a Tara fan. She has been a favorite of mine since the beginning. If she dies, especially anytime soon, and knowing what it would do to Jax, I might not have the heart to keep watching :(

• cas says:

I agree. I am a female and I love Tara. She has become such a strong woman. And the love Jax and her share is wonderful.

• Kim says:

I think what Sutter has shown time and again that it doesn’t matter how much he (or fans) love a character, he’ll do what’s necessary to advance the growth and storyline of Jax (and whoever is meant to be standing next to him when it all ends – unless will end with Jax dead or alone). I still think it will be Gemma not Tara because Gemma’s storyline has more or less run its course, the way Opie’s did. The only purpose she serves is to hold Jax back, just like Opie. Plus she can’t get off scott free for JT’s death. I really don’t think she’ll live happily ever after.

• JerseyEddie says:

I’m a red blooded American male who would LOVE if it was either Gemma or Tara, preferably both. So sick of this show becoming a showcase for Sutter to cram his wife down our throats. Any time an episode gains momentum, screeeeech here comes a “I’m so sad” Gemma scene followed by a “I’m so mad” Tara scene. My only beef would be if it was off camera, I prefer to see both of them go out like Tig’s daughter.

That being said it will never happen. Sutter is too worried about making this entire show a vehicle for the Sagal family.

• KLB says:

I would guess Gemma since Kurt Sutter has said he is considering her for a role in the new comedy he is developing for next season…

• Yes, and he also said, “Depending on her schedule on SOA.” However, there is no way that Gemma would die off screen. Kurt really wants his wife to get an Emmy, and a death scene would milk all of Katey Sagal’s ACTING! skills in one shot. No, he’s holding on to that Ace.

• A says:

Can someone explain why they think it will be Gemma? Other than saying that she is in talks for a new show, obviously she can do more than one show at a time (especially considering that her husband would be the show-runner of both). I don’t think Gemma will die, that would sever a huge story line

• Kim says:

That’s the thing A, she really doesn’t have much a storyline any more. Kurt Sutter’s goal is for Jax to shed the man he was to become the man he’s going to be. That’s why Opie had to go. By that logic I also think that’s why Gemma will probably go. Also she has to pay for her part in JT’s death. I don’t think Jax will kill her or anything, but she does have a pesky heart condition, does she not? That tableau with Jax and Tara in last season’s finale is the shape of things to come, at least that’s how I interpreted it. Tara can’t fully replace Gemma while she’s still alive. Just theories :)

• Let’s not forget the muse for SoA is Hamlet and they all died in that. I think endgame for Sons id the death of all. Maybe the message will be Clay got them in too deep and it’s a hole Jax cannot climb out of unless he’s in a box. One by one, all will fall due to Clay’s power hungry reign.

23. Choco says:

Good god if it’s Addison… that’d suck.

24. Jamie says:

It can’t be Addison. Shonda just gave an interview saying she wouldn’t kill Addison. She was going to have a happy ending. And she would call Kate back to make an appearance on Grey’s Anatomy.

25. Lauren says:

My first thought was Serena on Gossip Girl but idk – there’s only 10 eps this season. Would she really phone it in at this point? If it’s the CW maybe someone on 90210? Hopefully not Naomi! But maybe Annie or Adrianna?

Don’t think it’d be anyone from Grey’s because dying in a car accident would be too banal. But if we’re talking Shondaland maybe this is how they’re planning to off Addison on PP. We all knew this would be her last season.

• Elyse says:

Maybe Ivy on 90210? isnt that character leaving the show?

• colormelauren says:

Yeah! And Michael said that we won’t be surprised that the actress is leaving. Was she considered “leading” though?

• Brandy says:

She was a series regular but I doubt it’s Ivy cause she’s already written off the show-going to Mexico with Diego- so why kill her too just to show her funeral.? I think they said Ivy wouldn’t come back to wrap up sl cause there’s no need. The synopsis for 5.02 said Liam and Vanessa’s confrontation was cut short by a shocking accident though but I’m pretty sure we see the accident.Annie or Naomi maybe? They’ve been wanting off the show.

• itsOnlyDoug says:

That’s what I was thinking…But no writing on the wall and beloved is a stretch…

• paula ward says:

Actually that could happen. The actress is pregnant and they have already said they aren’t writing the pregnancy into the show. Also with the closed casket funeral if they wanted to bring her back later they could say she had been in witness protection. Just a thought.

• DarkDefender says:

As much as I’d like it to be LaGuerta on Dexter, this was my second thought. Her character can only date the killer/bad guy so many times before it becomes cliche. I like the idea that we don’t see the body and she could come back n a later season.

26. Kaitlin says:

Just when I thought the TV gods were doing me a solid and finally killing Bonnie, I realized TVD hasn’t been on for four seasons, nor are car crashes TVD’s preferred method of killing. Darn.

27. Dai says:

JJ on Criminal Minds? wouldn’t surprise me if they screw us over with something like that again…

• erin says:

REALLY hoping it’s not anyone on Criminal Minds!

• Charlotte says:

The showrunners NEVER wanted to get rid of JJ. They were forced to by the network; and if you’ve watched her exit show, they clearly wrote her out in a way that said, we are not happy about this, but it is over our heads. Then the fans revolted and petitioned the network and actually succeeded in bringing her back. Given the amount of bad publicity they received the last time they wrote JJ out, there is no way they would try that again. I’d say her job is safe as long as she wants it (and there’s been no evidence to show that she doesn’t).

• And, from the hints they give her, there’s never been any indication on the show that anything will happen to JJ. She hasn’t been absent, in danger, or anything like that. She’s pretty safe, I’d guess.

• dude says:

That was my first thought.

• Also, AJ Cook is contracted through season 8. She signed a two ear contracted when she came back for season 7.

28. Marie says:

This is Claudia Joy on Army Wives. She is one of the leads. Addison on Private Practice is THE lead.

29. AndyM says:

Deb on Dexter?

30. Freckles says:

It’s Oliva from Fringe, right? =(

• Jane says:

OHMIGOSH YOU COULD BE RIGHT. That makes me sad and nervous. They did say one of them was going to definitely die…

• BabyFirefly says:

The writers of Fringe have too much respect for fans to kill off Olivia off screen. If one of the Fringe team dies I’m pretty sure it will be a heroic or meaningful death, not an off screen car crash.

• emma says:

ok but what if Olivia is killed off soon and doesn’t even have more than a pair of episodes in 2036? she might be killed off-screen cause her daughter is watching!

• Alichat says:

That is exactly the reason why I eliminated Olivia as the death. She might die, but I can’t see Wyman doing it with a car crash and a closed casket. Plus, she already died last season. My bet is on Walter for the death on Fringe.

As for this blind item….Segal on SOA or Delaney on Army Wives seem likely bets.

• Annie says:

ITA – There’s no bad blood between Anna Torv and the “Fringe” producers (who seem to adore her), so even if Olivia were to die, it would be something huge and important, not off-screen. And it would never be anything as mundane as a car crash, unless the car had come over from another dimension.

But I think you are right about Walter.

• BabyFirefly says:

I hope your wrong about Walter, but I can totally see Walter making a heroic sacrifice to try to atone. I will be sad no matter who it is, but I really hope it’s not Peter or Olivia.

• allie08 says:

just about to post this. IT BETTER NOT BE!!!!

• melliemd says:

I vote for this one, the Observers say that Olivia has to die…

31. sharona says:

I don’t think it will be Addison, Kate Walsh said she will have a happy ending and that she let the door open to come back in Grey’s Anatomy later ;)

32. D says:

April Kepner!!!! Fingers Crossed!!!

33. ali says:

Addison on private practice, she already said she is leaving the show after 13 episodes in season six.

34. Doesn’t 60 minutes mean it’s cable? I mean, network shows are only 42 minutes, cable shows for longer! Just a thought!

(There is *one* character from “fewer than nine” that I would be gutted if they died, which is JJ on Criminal Minds ,but nothing’s ever been said about her leaving, so, I guess she’s safe :)

35. loulzb says:

it better not be Addison from Private Practice! I did read that Shonda said she decided that she wasn’t going to kill her! so i doubt it’s Addison..

36. Mik says:

lol, I was about to suggest Maggie Smith on Downton….I guess she couldn’t have died in a car accident :-)

37. Sara says:

I don’t think it is Addison. If it is Addison, Shonda will need to enter the witness protection program.

• Me says:

Ahahahahahah, this made me spill out my drink. But it’s not Addison, in Ask Ausiello it’s been said it’s not someone from Private Practice nor from Greys or any other ABC show.

38. Ben says:

Rah ! There’s no chance it could be Declan, from Revenge !
    I don’t care if that fit with that blind item. I just want him dead !

39. Kim says:

I agree, Kim Delaney sounds the most likely. She was barely on this last season, and that would explain the call to Michael at the end. Plus, Shonda already said she is not killing off Addison.

40. NJM says:

I wonder if the 60 minutes series is a clue. If so that would make me lean more towards HBO or Showtime rather than a network series. Writing on the wall makes me think of Dexter with the blood spattering, or the title card. So Debra?

41. Cody says:

For some reason, LaGuerta from Dexter is the only one that is really jumping out for me

42. Mo says:

Diana Agron on Glee?

• Charlotte says:

I was wondering if it might be someone from Glee, because the blind specifically says 60 minute show, but doesn’t say “drama”. But Quinn was JUST in a car accident, if they wanted to kill her, surely they could come up with something she hasn’t experienced yet!

• Millo says:

Glee doesn’t have more than four seasons.

43. Audrey says:

Jenny on Gossip Girl???

44. Tanya says:

Olivia from Fringe? It’s the last season. But I think that it isn’t good death for her. :s

45. Meghan says:

If it’s anyone from Bones I will be so upset!

46. Lauren says:

I think Addison is a good guess except that I heard she might want to go back to Grey’s & she couldn’t do that if she’s dead. Claudia Joy on Army Wives seems very likely. That could’ve been the ph

• Lauren says:

Phone call Michael got at the end of last season. My only hesitation is that I don’t know if they’ve started writing for next season yet. It’s possible though!

(Sorry about splitting the message in two; typing on a phone on a bumpy train!)

47. Rob88 says:

Debra Morgan – Dexter

• Emily says:

Dexter has so many ghosts sitting on his shoulder, if Deb dies it wouldn’t be the last we saw of her. Also, Dexter is all about how these people affect him. They would never kill someone as important as Deb and just leave it like that. I mean, even Rita got a goodbye.

• jenny says:

I’m gonna be so sad/mad if it’s her!!! Figure out a way to keep her around!!! She’s just as awesome as Dexter, himself!

48. Luca says: