Did Last Resort Blow You Out of the Water?

ABC’s Last Resort aimed to make a splash on Premiere Thursday — but in your opinion did the action-drama hit its target?

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Previews Last Resort, Nashville and More of the Best New Fall Shows

Created by Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and Karl Gajdusek, Last Resort stars Andre Braugher (Homicide) as Marcus Chaplin, the captain of a ballistic naval submarine Colorado. Shortly after picking up a team of sketchy SEALs, the Colorado receives orders — through the secondary (i.e. backup) Antarctic network — to launch an attack on Pakistan. When Chaplin puts a pin in the attack until her gets the directive from “someone whose authority I recognize,” he is relieved of command.

Chaplin’s XO Sam Kendal (Felicity‘s Scott Speedman) also holds out for the transmission of the attack order through the primary channel, at which point the radio goes dead and the Colorado soon finds itself dodging a Tomahawk missile… fired by the Illinois aka one of their own.

RELATED | Exclusive: Last Resort Promotes Robert Patrick to Series Regular

Once the Colorado has time to licks its wounds, Chaplin has his lieutenant, Grace Shepard (Daisy Betts), set course for a remote isle of Sainte Marina, where they promptly ruffle the local gang lord’s feathers, commander the resident NATO early warning station and declare themselves a sovereign nuclear nation. Chaplin takes to the airwaves to declare a 200-mile “no man’s land” surrounding the island, which, if penetrated, will force the Colorado to retaliate. To prove his mettle, when the U.S. attempts an air strike on Sainte Marina, he fires off a missile at D.C. itself… though one that lands and detonates safely offshore, though close enough to prove a point.

Persist in challenging him, Chaplin says, “and we will all burn…. You have been warned.”

But have you been won over? Vote in our poll and weigh in via comments.

1. Patti says:

awesome show.

2. Superhero says:

Very good, the best broadcast network drama pilot in recent memory. Watch it, people.

3. jar says:

When I first heard Scott Speedman and Andre Braugher were in a show together, I thought “Sign me up!” I watched tonight with Matt and Michael’s chat playing in my head and they were exactly right. At the end I also didn’t like where it seems to be going. Don’t think I’m going to be back next week.

• iMember says:

That’s silly. You only think you know where it’s going, but you don’t know where it’ll end up.

• jar says:

That’s entirely true, but I forgot to add that I was bored the entire time, which is more on me. It’s just not my kind of show (despite the actors) and I should have known better.

• iMember says:

Ah, well then that’s different. If it’s just not your type of show to be interested in, then that’s fine. I really enjoyed it though. Maybe stick around for a few more episodes though? You never know if you might find yourself enjoying it more.

• kavyn says:

I say give it a couple more episodes. The pilot is easily one of the best of the bunch and it seems like it’ll be a great show. If it’s still not your cup of tea after maybe 2-3 more episodes then ditch it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

No, no, give it another week or two. I’ve now seen Episode 2, and I’m still (wait for it) “on board.”

4. rikes says:

Thought it was really good. Especially considering it was the pilot episode.

5. Merken says:

Pleasantly surprised. Not really sure how they can make a series out of this, without it turning into a soap opera, but here’s hoping they can pull it off. Andre Braugher is excellent in this role, as he always is. It would really be great if he shaves his head and becomes the Colonel Kurtz of the island. Crazy is always entertaining.

• taran63 says:

Agreed. Every commercial I’ve seen of this show made me think it could have an awesome pilot episode, and it did. But I can’t think of how to sustain a series on this premise. It seems like you’d have to repeat portions of the pilot over and over, or the show would morph into some version of Lost where the island isn’t quite so isolated. I hope I’m wrong, though.

• Anne says:

If you could think of a way to make a series out of this, perhaps you’d be a writer. Give them a chance. I bet they have it figured out!

• seattlejohn449 says:

this definitely would do better as a miniseries…I’m concerned I will be a huge fan and it will get cancelled if the ratings don’t pan out (Revolution, too)…don’t know why these shows have to stretch themselves so thin in trying to last several seasons past their prime…24, for example, would’ve been much better redone as 12, and Lost wouldn’t have lost me so fast if it had only edited out so much padding…thought Braugher was suitably epic as the commander and hope he gets catapaulted into tv stardom as a result (after being this-close on the excellent shows Homicide and Men Of A Certain Age)…and the rest of the cast and characters seemed watchable and intriguing, too…the pilot was much more dramatic and gripping than I anticipated and I hope it does really well

6. John says:

I really enjoyed it and I hope it succeeds because it may encourage the big networks to take more gambles and chances like the four cable channels

7. Zak says:

I liked it, but in no way loved it. Which has me worried that if this is suppose to be the best pilot this fall for what the rest is going to be like. Revolution was lackluster and it’s going to take me at least half a season to get over comparing Elementary to Sherlock after seeing the pilot.

8. Joe says:

I was ready to hate it. But I was surprised that I liked it a lot.

9. impsy says:

Absolutely shocked at how good this was! I went in with NO expectations and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Really looking forward to more!

10. Christina says:

Really liked this. Will be interesting to see where they go with this.

11. Eliza says:

I enjoyed it! And with Scott Speedman on it, I know I’ll be sticking with it regardless of where it’s going. Happy to have Scott back on my tv. Plus, I really liked the rest of the cast.

12. Last resort just had to be scheduled against Big Bang Theory and Vampire Diaries. Might check this out On Demand, but my instinct is telling me to stay away.

13. Ana says:

I don’t like military shows or movies..they are not my thing. But this was soooo good. “You’ve been warned” gave me chills. I was on the edge of my seat. I almost forgot I was waiting for the Greys premiere to come on. Very well done…

14. nick1372 says:

I LOVED IT!!! A++!!
    This has to be the best drama pilot I have ever seen.
    The whole cast was terrific, especially Andre Braugher and whats-her-face that played Grace. It had great writing, too. Plus you can’t go wrong with subs and nuclear weapons
    The only teensy-tiny little problem I had was that Autumn Resser’s character needed more depth. But it’s only the pilot.
    I have high hopes for one fantastic season!!
    I can’t wait for episode 2.

15. MelindaB says:

I didn’t mean to watch it, but I missed several minutes of BBT so decided to watch Last Resort. I was surprised how enjoyable I found it, and I had to smile when I saw Dichen Lachman, Robert Patrick, Jessy Schram and Max Adler. I’ll probably return next week; to be honest, I found it more engrossing than Elementary, and I was looking forward to that show.

16. Rusty says:

A great pilot! However, it will be hard to make this into a 20 episode series. What will kill it will be if they turn it into a soap opera. I can see the folks at the network thinking, ‘Now we have them hooked, lets turn it into a Lost, The Event, totally confusing show.’ Actually it would have been best as a 4 or 6 part mini series. They need to keep up the political intrigue, the threat level, without getting into love story, mutiny, local bad guy (which the SEAL guy should have shot and killed in the scene at the bar). I’ll watch it as long as it stays on track, but if it starts to divert into what I mentioned, I am gone. But I still will watch it rather than any of the other crap out there. I won’t mention the shows because I’d be flamed out of existence.

• Dean says:

Lost and The Event shouldn’t be spoken in the same breath! No matter how bad you think the ending might be, it was one of the best shows there ever was!

17. Talia says:

Really enjoyed Last Resort. At first I had low expectations for the show but I was gladly proven wrong after watching the pilot. The cast is great, the plot is interesting and had me interested the whole time. Hope the show does well in its timeslot.

18. Cheryl Stone says:

hope the writers have a middle and end in mind for the series, instead of becoming a mindless spaghetti mess of plots that never get resolved or explained (like LOST). the cable networks do this very well….other than that worry, i really, really enjoyed the pilot. hope it can maintain the high quality of writing believe-ability and excitement.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And you’re comparing this show to LOST because…? Of the island?

• Shaun says:

because the plot was all over the place.Lost was a mess the last few seasons.

• Charles says:

I thought of LOST also (which I’ve re-watched… many times…), just because of the high number of story threads and twists thrown in. But, even with an island, the show is definitely it’s own thing. (Although: the main cast arrives at the island due to mysterious circumstances/transportation emergency. There’s a run-down room with a computer, and the island’s mysterious inhabitants who are non-too-happy to see outsiders. The main cast isn’t sure if they can go home or if they are stuck on the island.) That all said, it was one of the best pilots I have seen in YEARS, and it gave me goosebumps it was so intense. I’m definitely, definitely in for more episodes.

• echuckler says:

OH: To be fair, the show did also remind me of GLEE because of that one actor. And HOUSE, because of the lead actor… Really, I’m just surprised I wasn’t reminded of “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” will watching it.

19. itsmemartu says:

I really wasn’t going to watch it, but the comments here makes me wanna do it!

20. Yes, this is – by far – the best pilot of any new show this year. It had thrills. It was well-written. It had some great characters played by great actors. The only real negative thing I have to say is that it has a terrible time slot.

• Ally Oop says:

AGREED! Why in sam hill is this on Thursdays? Why can’t it be Wednesdays which are an empty day for me? I use a DVR but unfortunately I don’t have a dual-tuner so I rely on timeshift.

21. Ally Oop says:

This show is by far the best new show I’ve seen this fall season. It’s the first new show in which I would cry if it was cancelled and automatically go online to start a petition to bring it back. It has a great ensemble cast, awesome storyline and phenomenal setting. It looks like there’s another show to squeeze into my Thursday nights. Thanks for timeshift–without it I’d be screwed. Tonight’s schedule was hard enough to arrange for me. Once Vampire Diaries comes back on I will have to cut Glee. Sorry, but Grey’s, Big Bang, Vampire Diaries and Last Resort are all better shows and unfortunately, I don’t have two TVs (well, technically I do but my husband has dibs on the other one). Poor Beauty & the Beast–I cannot even give it a shot.

22. GK says:

The plot is so ridiculous it verges on being atrociously hilarious! But I did suspend my disbelief and it was a very good episode. The actors were what made it better than it actually was.

Elementary, The Mob Doctor, The Neighbors and Vegas were a total drag. Atleast Revolution and Last Resort have great actors, intriguing stories and awesome showrunners which makes me want to keep watching them.

23. Gregory Kennedy says:

We love our country but we do not recognize or obey a government that tries to murder its own we will not hesitate to unleash firey hell down upon you you have been warned! That was what i got on the commercial adverts for the show… Then i watched it and it was so much better hearing the whole speach…. “we will all burn together” sent chills up my spine…. I dont see how this could possibully be turned into a soap at all there is already a clear beggining middel and end in my mind and as well written as the pilot was… I have no doubt they have the same idea…. We need to know why and who did what the did in the government in order to send a correct authorization to launch 4 nuclear missel at pakistan its clearly someone in the chain of command doing this stuff without thebothers knowledge which would be why they send it through the secondary atlantic system when primary command was not compromised so there is more to go and yes im sure as some of you have stated they will prolly have to repeat some of the pilot parts since a 200 mile no mans land was decleared whoever is pulling the strings in this operation will try to get in and destroy them without being detected and they will have to retaliate in some way other than that its gonna be an awesome show… Oh and the cob is a jerk!

• juan says:

Right, the whole speech gave me chills as I was listening to it and even though I already knew the end of the speech from the commercials, it had a big impact. That was one of the best monologues on tv.

• cathiecat says:

The real twist to the big speech was the earlier anecdote about Reagan firing the air traffic controllers, and wanting to look crazy to the Russians. I loved Scott Speedman’s remark at the end of the taping” “Just crazy enough, sir.” In other words, don’t mess with this crazy guy!

24. ben says:

Favorite new show of the season, easily, so far. I loved everything about it. I tend to like shows with a bit of action-movie vibe though. I’ll definitely keep watching, and keep hoping it stays this great.

25. Olivia says:

Loved it!! so happy to see Scott Speedman on tv!!

26. Sg. Grant says:

I saw it online a few weeks ago. The pilot was great. I just wish it wasn’t in the ABC death slot.

27. James says:

decent. i like the premise. the writing was a little weak IMO which is odd see that its shawn ryan. I thought the second half was a lot better than the first, seeing as not one of those actors is believable as a submariner. still i’ll give it a few more episodes see as it is Shawn Ryan and the premise is intreaguing

28. juan says:

It was a great pilot, I just saw it and it was amazing. Will definately watch the rest, cause I can’t wait to know what those guys did to cause this. The acting btw was great by Andre Braugher

29. GeoDiva says:

I liked it (grade b) but my husband didn’t.

30. chessguy99 says:

Nicely done, but I can’t get over the feeling this would have been a great movie, but is a reach as a series.

31. Elyse says:

love love love love love!

32. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Best new show of the season so far. For people that are confused about where the plot goes, aren’t you even remotely interested in what is going on with the US government that a President is being impeached and someone without the authority authorized a nuclear attack through a back channel? The story is not just the sub and the island.

33. Mrs. Ben Covington says:

Completely intrigued. And I love seeing Scott Speedman in this role. Andre Braugher was fantastic.

And I agree that there seems to be so much story to tell with the government issues.

34. Joe says:

Saw it last week on iTunes , loved it put it on my seasons pass

35. Missy Kelly says:

Should have been a two hour premiere. It’s very good and the character set-up was excellent but I felt that with two hours you would have been vested in the characters and had an inkling where the story was going

36. cindy says:

Loved it. Watched it online last week and again last night.

37. sheri says:

So, does it really only take two people to launch a nuclear bomb from a nuclear sub any time they want to?

• kople says:

No, not “any time they want to’ They have to receive the launch codes first. Once they’ve authenticated the codes, the captain and 1st officer have to use their keys to launch, yes.

The idea that they could easily reprogram one to Target DC was silly.

This show was just awful on so many levels. I’m pretty baffled as to how so many people can be singing its praises.

#Ideocracy

38. lisa says:

I was going to give it a “C,” but Scott Speedman’s hotness is back on my TV, so it got a “B.”

39. H.Houston says:

I had to chuckle at some of the posters that complained that there were too many storylines and tangents…. because right after those folks are the ones complaining because they don’t know how the show is going to be drawn out into a regular series. Um to the first folks – there must be that many tangents so that their are potential storylines. There must be something for us to follow, to unravel, to puzzle over so that we are interested in watching the show. To the second folks, the tangents and multiple storylines that the first folks complained about are the exact thing needed to make this into a long running show. Those tangents, extra stories, and little side comments are what long running series are all about. Take a breath everyone and hold on for a ride, this show is going to amaze. I am truly excited for an intellectual/action series.

40. Dave says:

I love this show already. DAMN!!!!!

41. Sir Jaime says:

WTF? I have seen this show 3 times on TV and thought I was going to see a second episode 09-27-2012

42. S says:

It may sound stupid but I almost turned the channel when the female sailor made the smart comment about her “rack.” Knowing that “Rack’ is a miliatry term for bed and especially used in the Navy, and knowing that women being allowed on subs is only a recent occurance (like in the last year or so)…
    I am sure it was a great pun for writers but in one scene you are trying to make the female sailors have authority on the sub with Grace as an officer and then in the next scene they have an enlisted sailor making jokes to her XO about her “rack” Just kind of annoyed me a bit.