Was The Neighbors Out of This World?

Did you love thy Neighbors?

The ABC sitcom, which debuted tonight at 9:30/8:30c, is set in a suburban, seemingly sedate gated community where Marty Weaver (The Knights of Prosperity‘s Lenny Venito) and his wife Debbie (Still Standing‘s Jami Gertz) have chosen to live with their two children. But on move-in day, the subdivision’s other residents give off some strange vibes.

For starters, they all dress alike and have professional athletes’ names – such as Larry Bird (Simon Templeman), Jackie Joyner-Kersee (Toks Olagundoye) and Dick Butkus (Ian Patrick). They don’t seem to understand how to use simple garden tools or host a dinner party… though we definitely approve of Jackie Joyner-Kersee’s dishwashing method. And when the Weaver kids goad Dick Butkus into showing them a “trick,” the jig is up: He transforms into his true form – a Zabrovian alien – outing his entire community as a group of reptilian extraterrestrials. Though they initially want to flee, the Weavers eventually decide to stay in their new abode. After all, the Zabrovians are peace-loving… for the most part.

The comedy is about as broad as it comes – upon hearing the Weaver kids’ screams, Larry Bird laments, “Oh dear. I fear our little Dick may have exposed himself again” – and the show isn’t covering any ground that 3rd Rock from the Sun or even Alien Nation didn’t mine years ago.

But enough about what we thought; let’s hear what you have to say. Grade The Neighbors via the poll below, then hit the comments to explain your choice!

1. Mike says:

Worst. Show. Ever.

2. rod says:

that was just awful, cant believe they sent happy endings to tuesday for this crap

• My thoughts exactly! And now it has to compete with New Girl and Go On even though it is one of the top written comedies on television right now.

• TheDude says:

Despite it being a stupid move, I think it will definitely work out for Happy Endings in the long run….I think Apartment 23 is a much better pairing for Happy Endings than anything else ABC has.

• Zed says:

last year, Happy Endings was against the last half hour of The X Factor, Idol and criminal minds which, as i remember, were much tougher competiton than this season. Though i don’t know how the bad DWTS lead-in will effect it – talking demo-wise.

3. M. says:

This was painfully bad. And I normally love Jamie Gertz. #soontobecancelled

4. JC says:

How the f–K did this show ever get on the the air? Seriously. First “Work It” and now “The Neighbors.” What is going on at ABC?

5. teamo says:

Lenny Venito is great! ABC needs to find him another series fast and keep him in the network. But The Neighbors was painfully horrible.

6. Denise says:

*hangs head in shame* Gonna have to admit to laughing out loud a couple of times.

• Bev says:

Me too. I usually hate comedies like this but I did laugh once or twice. It wasn’t nearly as bad as “Partners” on CBS, which was another I was skeptical about but thought I’d end up shamefully liking.

Regardless, looks like I’m sticking to Thursday nights on NBC.

7. TVFan says:

This show was HILARIOUS! I can’t wait to see more. Loved it 5 minutes in. Don’t understand how people didn’t like it. It was laugh out loud funny.

• NoWay says:

Did you ride the short bus to school as a kid?

• rowan77 says:

Are you an ABC plant or something? An intern perhaps? This was a mind-bendingly awful show. Not one funny line or bit. It was obvious and banal. And they gave it the coveted post-Modern Family slot? Who did someone have to blow to get that timeslot?

• Eli says:

I actually had to chuckle a few times (for the right reasons), so it really wasn’t that bad.
        Seriously, this is no Work It, if only for the fact it lacks a laugh track.

• Allison says:

It will wear off after a few episodes for sure but the comic delivery on the athletes names alone was hysterical. Lawrence Byrd!

• Ann says:

TVFan–I thought this show was so silly and off the wall that it worked in a nonsensical way that old school comedies like ALF and My Favorite Martian worked. Please don’t say those shows were great….they were completely silly but worked because the actors were good in it and delivered on the premise. The actors in The Neighbors were great and stuck to their character. The scenes with the community of aliens was so unexpected that I found it endearing and funny.

• tara says:

I enjoyed it too! Looks like we’re in the minority, oh well.

• L says:

I love Jamie Gertz and I found The Neighbors oddly entertaining. I will watch next week. I would much rather watch The Neighbors than The Mindy Project or Ben and Kate which, I couldn’t even finish watching because it was so annoying. Have y’all forgotten the fabulous days of 3rd Rock from the Sun: A group of aliens are sent to Earth, disguised as a human family, to experience and report life on the 3rd planet from the sun – Starring John Lithgow, Jane Curtain, Kristen Johnston, French Steward and Joseph Gordon-Levitt

8. Jeff says:

Was really planning on not watching it because it looked like the stupidest show ever…but gotta admit, I laughed….laughed more at this than I did for “Ben & Kate” and “The Mindy Project”

9. anonymouse1013 says:

Worst show ever.

10. Danielle says:

I thought out was pretty dang funny myself.

11. Tom says:

People are of course entitled to their opinions on here but the fact that anyone actually thinks this is up to par with anything that should be on television is the reason why Two and a Half Men is in its 10th season.

• Eli says:

Man, I really hope one of the correspondents from The Daily Show interviews you someday soon just so you can see on tv how incredibly stupid you were just now.

12. ABC chose this crap instead of Cougar Town. At least Cougar Town found a home.

13. John says:

Will be one of the first shows to be canceled. Wow, who let this garbage on to begin with – and then to pair it Modern Family? Bad show, bad programming.

14. Laquisha says:

It looked like something for five year olds. Really dumb.

15. JC says:

The over/under on this show getting canceled has to be 4 episodes. I’m going under.

16. Crimson Tear says:

This show wont be for everyone, but it is a good family comedy that doesn’t rely on jokes to be funny. People who prefer to have jokes thrown in their face will find it dumb and uninteresting.

17. Paige says:

I watched about 45 seconds after Modern Family. And then turned off the tv.

18. tp says:

I hate that these recaps are on the site before they air on the west coast. We gets no love….ever. So sad JoJo. lol.

• Sg. Grant says:

You could try not clicking the link to these reviews. That would solve your problem.

• tp says:

Well seeing as how I didn’t say I read the recap I can continue to click on whatever the hell I feel like clicking on. This isn’t the day after when spoilers shouldn’t be an issue. I came on this site after I got off work. I hate it because trying to join in on the comments 3 hours later isn’t as fun as when everyone has moved past it. But continue to be a smart ass…by all means.

19. Rowan77 says:

Horrible show. Truly unfunny. What was ABC thinking? Didn’t they read the script? I had to force myself to watch it just to see if it got better. Usually I try to watch 2 or 3 episodes of new shows before I make a decision to keep watching or dump it. Not this time. There’s no saving this. Blech!

20. Darth Pablo says:

LOVED IT!!!! Already purchased the season pass on ITunes!!!!

21. This looked like the stupidest show in the writeups and previews. But I decided to watch it anyways. Did I like it? No. The acting stunk. The dialogue was weak. The story line was meh. The only redeeming quality about it was there were some good lines in the show- but because of the deadpan way of saying the lines- all the effectiveness of them was missing. Its obvious the writers have some talent, but seemed to know this show was weak and try to stay true to comedy formula of men acting stupid, the brooding kid, the easy jokes people get tired of 2 minutes in. It was like watching a car sliding down an icy hill. I knew it was a disaster but I couldnt take my eyes away.

22. Mark says:

I’ll be honest, I didn’t hate it. The eldest daughter made me lol at one part. I like the mom from Still Standing. I’ll keep watching it. I agreed with whomever said I laughed more at this than in Ben & Kate. Honestly, I’ll probably continue watching this and not continue watching Ben & Kate. However, Mindy Project > this. That’s for damn sure. Mindy Kaling <333

23. Zai says:

Wrong time slot

should be at around 3-5pm for the kiddies.

24. Ken says:

I’ll deem it unwatchable. And I don’t use that word lightly.

25. RobMF says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show this bad and I enjoyed watching the trainwreck. I could not turn away it was so bad, so so very bad.

26. dan says:

Worst show of the year! How does crap like this get produced? ABC should be ashamed putting this with Modern Family.

27. Jk says:

THREE kids, not two.

28. Tricia says:

It did have some good lines, but a show is more than that, or it’s supposed to be. This was eye-rollingly bad. I can’t believe that the sitcoms that DIDN’T get picked up in favor of this one were as bad,

• Jk says:

Uh, ya know a show can be funny without lines. Lines are nothing but forced laughter. Probably why I haven’t liked any sitcoms in thirty years or more.

The whole everyone dressing the same acting the same and delivering a welcome pie in a gated community where everyone is supposedly to be of the same mentality was drop dead funny, that didnt require any lines to be so.

I found the show hilarious. Unfortunately, I see it wearing out fast.

29. David says:

I watched for fifteen minutes and that was all I could take. It was an interesting idea…but was written poorly. The aliens didn’t try to “fit in” in ten years? Pretty unbelievable. It could have been better if the aliens were only subtly different…instead of being Stepford Alien caricatures.

• Jk says:

They did fit in. They like anyone ina Gated community live in isolation. They all lived their, they all fit in.

I’m thinking the real issue is people just don’t get the humor behind the gated community lifestyle.

• cjeffery7 says:

im just gonna unnecessarily nerd out here and say that they bought out an entire neighborhood, so obviously not much contact with real humans was mean to be had. AND they were waiting to be called home or whatever, so they had no apparent desire or need to mingle until their battery thingy died so they are now forced to try and fit in. that being said, it’s still not great. it’s not appt tv for me but if its the only thing on or i stumble across it, i’ll take it only at face value.

30. Britta Unfiltered says:

I didn’t watch, but I am wondering if the pitch for the show was sold as being a reverse Coneheads, because that’s kind of what it sounds like.

31. fiona says:

I thought it was funny because it was stupid. It will probably be cancelled but I guess I’ll enjoy this stupidity til then

32. cjeffery7 says:

it’s not gonna be appointment tv for me, but i’ll watch it if nothing else is on. it made me laugh.

33. teamo says:

This whole concept would work much better on The Disney Channel. If ABC decides to cancel it..they should move it to Disney. This would be a good pairing with Good Luck Charlie or something like that.

34. ABC is king of the networks says:

It was stupid and hilarious at the same time, I’ll watch it for as long as it’s on.

35. EmilyW says:

I don’t even bother to check it out based on the promos .. and I knew it will go to be suck one. Not surprised after reading those comments…

36. Peter says:

A shame the writing sucked, the adult cast, if nothing else, committed, which made the episode slightly bearable. Writing left a lot to be desired though, pretty much breaking the same ground covered by shows like 3rd Rock and even movies like Galaxy Quest. Urgh… Oh yeah and the kids sucked. Seriously, watch the little girl in the scene where the family cowers in the bed if you haven’t already deleted it from your PVR.

37. Much funnier than I expected. It’s not going to change the face of television but there’s much worse to watch all over the place. And thank God it’s not another room full of pretty twenty-somethings working out the kinks of their “complicated” lives.

Apparently not a hit with with serious sci-fi fan boys or those with no appreciation of the absurd or surreal. Their reviews can be quickly identified by the grossly overused “meh” and “worst-show-ever” lines.

38. Brit says:

It was ridiculous but I laughed out loud more at it than I did for most of the new comedies this year. I’m sure it wlll be cancelled soon tho. I still think it was better than Animal Practice, Guys with Kids, Ben & Kate, and The Mindy Project. And I had really high hopes for Mindy.

39. Joanna says:

This show was so bad it made “Here comes Honey Boo Boo” look like quality TV.

40. joe says:

With the shows last year i watched Abc all night ,not anymore, The show is to stupid even for me

41. greysfan says:

It was so bad it was bloody hilarious. Its the most funniest comedy i have watched so far this season. In saying that though it will wear off very quickly i think.

42. prish says:

I believe this genre is called camp. Kudos to ABC for tossing it out there. It reminds me of Lost in Space. I find it fascinating. I am willing to watch a few more episodes before passing judgement.

• Lisa says:

I have to agree. 3rd Rock from the Sun, Alf and Alien Nation are years ago (although comparing it to Alien Nation at all is weird). There’s no real campy TV show on the air. Most comedies on now are focused on sarcastic or sardonic humor arising out of exaggerated everyday experiences. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved a lot of those shows. Every now and then, you need something more simple, and you need camp–a show so bad it turns around to being good, and maybe eventually is just good. The Neighbors is not there yet, but it has the potential. I can see a glimmer. I give ABC props for trying something that isn’t currently being done.

Did I love it? No. But it amused me at points. And it was different.

43. arianeb says:

Since my expectations for this show were below bad, it managed to exceed expectations. I’ll give it an OK.

44. Jason says:

LOVED IT. Those who gave it an F obviously didn’t watch it. People get so caught up in bitter TV critics’ reviews, they forget that they have an actual brain and funny bone…and this show is darned funny. New York Magazine agrees.

45. kidco says:

Unfortunately I laughed a few times, but it was mostly because of how horrible the acting was. I will not be watching going forward and praying that ABC picks a better show to replace it. There is some real good talent sprinkled with some really poor performances. I think it was the director’s fault more than anything.

46. kidco says:

Unfortunately I laughed a few times, but it was mostly because of how horrible the acting was. There is some real good talent sprinkled with some really poor performances. I think it was the director’s fault more than anything. I will not be watching going forward and praying that ABC picks a better show to replace it.

47. Truth says:

I’m going to watch it, it seemed to be pretty funny. Screw the haters on here, you people only like Dancing with the Stars and crap like American idol anyways.

48. Nicolas says:

It will probably get the same fate as Cavemen.

49. Romi says:

It made me laugh and I especially liked Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

50. IDK…the show was soooo weird, but I couldn’t handle it and I didn’t even get five minutes in before I decided to turn it. This show is worst than Happy Endings and I wanted that off the air a loooooooooooooooooooooong time ago