Renewal Scoop: USA Orders More White Collar, Covert Affairs and Royal Pains

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

On the off-chance you’re already planning next summer’s vacation, make sure to leave some room for Neal, Annie and Hank.

USA Network’s popular summer dramas White Collar, Covert Affairs and Royal Pains will return next year, the cabler announced Tuesday.

RELATEDRoyal Pains Scoop: Emma Caulfield Gets Ex-y!

White Collar and Covert Affairs each merited another 16-episode cycle, bringing them to Seasons 5 and 4, respectively. Royal Pains received a regal order indeed: two more seasons – 26 episodes total – of the Hamptons-based medical drama, which will carry it through Season 6.

RELATED | Post Mortem: White Collar Boss Talks Neal and Peter’s Daddy Issues

Meanwhile, several other of the network’s dramas — including Common LawNecessary RoughnessPolitical Animals and Fairly Legal – are still on the bubble as they wait to hear whether they’ll shoot another season.

Covert Affairs’ third season continues Tuesday, Oct. 16 at 10/9c and wraps in November. White Collar‘s Season 4 continues in January. Royal Painstwo-hour winter movie, “Off-Season Greetings,” is scheduled to air Sunday, Dec. 16 at 9/8c.

Comments (81)

• Great. So what about Political Animals? lol

Comment by ktbanks – September 25, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on a renewal for Fairly Legal yet?

Comment by Lincoln – September 25, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both Fairly Legal and Political Animals were longshots for renewal, last time they had an update. I would not be surprised if Political Animals gets another go-around just due to it’s star power, but (sadly) I think this is it for Fairly Legal.

Comment by Dizzle – September 25, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really like Fairly Legal. I think they found their footing this year. I liked the addition of Ben.

Comment by JenInChicago – September 26, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More info on USA shows here: Report: Common Law Unlikely to Return, Political Animals and Two Other USA Shows on Bubble

Comment by Kimberly Roots – September 25, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just watch made in jersey its the same show as fairly legal

Comment by rikes – September 25, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Based on the promos, I doubt it. Just because they are both legal shows with a female lead, doesn’t mean they are the same. And it’s a bit dismissive of the talents of both actresses to say they are interchangeable.

Comment by Dizzle – September 25, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • One of the stars for Fairly Legal pretty much said “made in jersey” was the same exact show. So I know what i’m talking about.

Comment by rikes – September 25, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Burn Notice???

Comment by Caitlyn Veronica Young – September 25, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • burn notice returns on november

Comment by egli – September 25, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Burn notice was renewed for three seasons last year…it’s as safe as shows get.

Comment by Wil – September 25, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank god! I missed that. You just made my day!

Comment by Meg – September 25, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAAAAT? Until January to have back in my screen Peter and Neil, im gonna suffer

Comment by Lorena – September 25, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I need to know when in january????

Comment by mattbomer – October 28, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on Burn Notice?

Comment by BuffyXO – September 25, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i just saw a commercial the other day that said it’s back on November 8th! not sure about getting picked up for next season though.

Comment by Elyse – September 25, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice?!?!?!?

Comment by CC – September 25, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am sure Burn Notice will get renewed. The issue they are facing and possibly giving them a delay to renew is that the stupid commissioners in Miami do not want to renew their contract for the sound stages they use in the Miami Beach Convention Center area. We had a big story in the paper here about it. Because its a show that can be renewed or cancelled the studio only wants to have a one year contract at a time. While the Miami Commissioners want to use the sound stages and the area for parks and other renovations and constructions. The article maybe was used to give the studio pressure to renew for more than one year. Maybe thats why the ended in Panama, maybe a change of location is needed because of this contract issue. Doubt they’ll actually film in Panama but they have used Puerto Rico before and maybe they even move to DC which is where I thought they would do when this contract issue came out.

Comment by Viviana – September 25, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for the info on Burn Notice, Viviana. Good to know those back story secrets! I hope all gets worked out. I’d sure like to read that article… BN is by far one of my family’s favs!

Comment by Carol Sullivan – September 25, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Psych ever get a premiere date?

Comment by Morgan – September 25, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Site says it’s coming ‘this winter’. Winter in CA is kinda vague. Ha!

Comment by M – September 25, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m wondering the same thing. It went from “Fall” to “Winter”… I just want a date to count down to!

Comment by Babybop – September 25, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, more Polictical animals, and common law?……. Please USA!!

Comment by sarah birkin – September 25, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the pleasure of meeting Michael Ealy (“Travis” on “Common Law”) today while I was out and about, and he says they’re still waiting to hear. Meanwhile, today he’s on a shoot for the show “About Last Night”.

Comment by GildaAnon – September 25, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • White collar back in january ?????? WTH

Comment by terry – September 25, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ummm.. WTF. Burn Notice!?!

Comment by Shari – September 25, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news, but what about Necessary Roughness?

Comment by Pam – September 25, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t confirmed but I heard around the watercooler that it returns in January.

Comment by SAM – September 25, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am surprised Suits and Burn Notice didn’t get renewed in this batch. Well, I guess it will happen sooner or later.

Comment by Balaji K – September 25, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that RP only got two 13-episode batches, instead of usual 16. Wonder if that means that these are final two seasons.

Comment by DenverDean – September 25, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From this article on Deadline.com (http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/usas-royal-pains-white-collar-covert-affairs-renewed/): “Because of the show’s premise — it takes place during the summer season in the Hamptons — there are not enough warm days to film the entire longer seasons, forcing the show to film stunt episodes shot in warmer location that often feel disjointed and disrupt the flow of the medical series, like Hank and Evan’s trip to Florida or Mark’s to Cuba. This year, the series aired 14 episodes in the summer that will be followed by a two-hour holiday movie to air December 16.”

I know from onlocationvacations.com, they shoot a lot scenes in studio in Brooklyn and in Nassau County rather than out on the Hamptons.I suppose that, if it takes 10 days to shoot an episode and they don’t work straight through with no breaks (Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day), it is a little tight trying for 16 episodes when weather is decent from May through September. Still, I would think that they could alter the schedule to shoot in-studio and village shots when the weather is too cold for beach/water/recreation scenes and get 16 done.

Comment by Marc – September 25, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still waiting for a date set for the return of Psych! Especially since today’s tweets from the Psych Writers are about the MUSICAL EPISODE!! Squeee!! My only sadness is that even though many promises were made to make it work when they talked about it during Nerd HQ at Comic Con, Zachary Levi won’t be able to make it for the episode. Silly major motion picture he is currently filming in another country… ;)

Comment by Tiffany – September 25, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next up, Burn Notice and Suits! Now that USA is in renewal mode, I am sure those are not far off.

Comment by Emgee – September 25, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Suits?!?!?!

Comment by marissa – September 25, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The 2nd half of season 2 of Suits starts in January. My guess is we’ll hear about a 3rd season at the end of the 2nd half.

Comment by Daisy – September 25, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for White Collar. Don’t really watch the others. Haven’t since each of the first seasons. Just didn’t get into them. Did Burn Notice get renewed?

Comment by Jennifer S – September 25, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I only watch WC, Psych and Suits on USA. But I am psyched about more Neal Caffrey in a suit. LOL

Comment by Tara – September 25, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really disappointed Common Law is probably not returning. I loved that show and my 17 year old son enjoyed watching with me. It was nice having a show we both couldn’t wait to watch.

Comment by Didi – September 25, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never had any plan to watch Common Law. No interest at all.

Comment by M – September 25, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Probably because you don’t understand it

Comment by downsidebob – September 25, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It think the problem with Common Law was that the premise seemed too close to Psych. I tuned into the first episode prepared to hate it for that reason, and ended up charmed instead. The two leads had great chemistry. It’s a darned shame it won’t be coming back.

Comment by Delia – September 25, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits?

Comment by Kim – September 25, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch White Collar, Covert Affairs and Royal Pains. Personally, I don’t watch any of the following shows in renewal limbo: Common Law, Necessary Roughness, Political Animals and Fairly Legal

Comment by M – September 25, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits and Neccesary Roughness , now please

Comment by joterri – September 25, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome

Comment by M – September 25, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits, Common Law and Necessary Roughness renew would make my day.

Comment by tp – September 25, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woooooo hooooooo!!!! Love all those shows and really liked this last season of royal pains!!

Comment by Christa – September 25, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Common Law had already been announce as cancelled.

Comment by Jon – September 25, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season one of Covert Affairs was atrocious and cheesy but the storyline much to my surprise has gone for the better. I’m happy to see it getting picked up for another season.

Comment by Amanda Fenner Bryant – September 25, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s good to hear, I’m halfway through season one and hoping it gets better.

Comment by laurenfrancesm – September 25, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am loving that they seem to be going down the road with an Annie-Auggie-pairing… makes me so happy!!! So glad they are getting a new season!

Comment by astrid – November 18, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could easily see Fairly Legal being renewed if they retooled it for the Ben Grogan character. That’s a show I would watch. As it is now, with Kate Reed, nah… not interested.

Comment by Jon – September 25, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REALLY????! Kate’s the reason I watch! My daughter and I love the show! I love her, sassy, slightly crazy, character, and I like the actress that plays her step-mom/partner! Ben not so much, even though the banter between Kate and Ben is funny at times, I think Kate (and the actress that plays her) is the best!

Comment by Rose – September 29, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled about White Collar (was planning a trip to NYC next Spring) but I definitely think Common Law & Suits should ALSO be renewed…I would be sad to see either of them gone :(

Comment by 50ShadesOfMattieB (@WhiteCollarLuvr) – September 25, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Covert Affairs this past summer season, but the show moved away from its comfort zone. If the renewal only causes it to revert back to an Annie and Auggie, no chemistry, lovefest, I cannot watch it. They need to bring back/ressurect the Simon Fischer character. And, Suits needs to be renewed next!

Comment by MGL – September 25, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news, though the longer renewal for RP compared to Covert Affairs or WC catches me by surprise as of those three RP is the one I find least compelling. But it does have difference going for it. (Except when Boris is onscreen and, FFWD time then).

Comment by John – September 25, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for White Collar! Now they just have to renew Suits, pleeease (:

Comment by Anna – September 25, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon, I want Common Law back!

Comment by Linda – September 25, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People keep asking about Burn Notice…USA renewed Burn Notice for three seasons last year. It’s quite safe.

Comment by Wil – September 25, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were renewed for Seasons 5 & 6 but not 7 in 2010. Not even the actors/crew knows if there will be a Season 7.

Comment by TheSeventhBrat – September 25, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ORE COMMON LAW. DAMNIT

Comment by downsidebob – September 25, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about Covert Affairs! I’m just bummed there’s no news about Psych’s premiere date.

Comment by Babybop – September 25, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Common Law should get a second season, and someone needs to find something better for sarah shahi.

Comment by leah – September 25, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love common law great new show for usa please renew for season two and more

Comment by Debra Mitchell – September 25, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Royal Pains?! Seriously? That show went down the toilet in season 2. Unless they revive it and go back to what made it cool in season 1 (aka, Evan and Divya’s potential chemistry packed relationship, interesting patients, better written Hank) I don’t think I’ll be tuning in. Evan and Paige together makes my stomach churn and while I like the new doctor, I do not like him with Divya. And Hank is so boring now.

Comment by Ella – September 25, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they don’t have Hank re-connecting with his latest girlfriend….Kat Foster’s smirking-style of talking really irked me. I’m sure she’s a nice person, but I don’t care for her.

Comment by JenInChicago – September 26, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone even care if Covert Affairs is renewed for Season 4 without Simon? I like all the CA characters, but Simon and Annie had magic, Dumping his character after 7 episodes was a chemical waste. (Forget about the viewers who will love and miss him.) What about poor Annie? All we will see from now on is all work, and no play. Does CA really think they will find Annie another “dance” partner like Simon? Sillies !

Why doesn’t USA give Richard Coyle his own show, Piper Parabo can guest star, and everyone will be happy, right ?

Comment by Lilly – September 26, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to hear Common Law is probably going to be canceled. I looked forward to it so much every week, it was my favorite summer show!

Comment by Rain – September 26, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suits and Burn Notice will get renewed, they’re the strongest performing shows that USA has. Suits has garnered most of the buzz for USA the last year.

Disappointing about Common Law, but it was basically just a buddy cop show so there wasn’t much of a hook. The leads were good though, but it was banished to Friday night so USA must not have thought it test well.

I would say that Necessary Roughness has the strongest chance of coming back out of those three. It has a built in audience, the ratings weren’t terrible and it does have some critical panache to it with Callie getting a GG nomination. Someone who’s job is on the line may want to double down on Political Animals, but it got massacred in the ratings and it got softer week to week. Again, someone put their rep on the line for that show and with all the big names, maybe they feel like they have to bring it back, but it was a failure of a show for garnering viewers. Fairly Legal has been fairly dead for awhile……unless USA doesn’t feel it has anything of value during pilot season….

Comment by PB – September 26, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Common Law is my favorite show on USA. It definitely deserves another season!

Comment by Georgia – September 26, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha Royal Pains movie premieres on my birthday!

Comment by Anna – September 26, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah!!!! White Collar rocks!!!!

Comment by Pippy – September 27, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Fairly Legal and Political Animals. I am not sure how in the world Necessary Roughness is on the bubble. Holy Cow it had an amazing season and awesome finale. I actually started watching Suits this summer…

Comment by H.Houston – September 27, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE bring back COMMON LAW!!!!! Please!!!
    I looked forward to this show on Friday nights. This was my date after work with two hot guys-:).
    Already a huge Michael Ealy fan and now a fan of Warren Cole. Team #Common Law #Michael Ealy #Warren Cole.

Comment by kayylo41 – October 28, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From the UK. THANK YOU for Season 4 Covert Affairs. Amazing Show !!!

Comment by roo – November 14, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am so grateful for the person who helped me bring back my favorite series back air i so love white collar i love peter and Neal they are too good together i hope more season are added up if it can get to season 7 not bad i know lots of people will appreciate it

Comment by jennifer – April 13, 2013 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Indoor cycling classes can increase energy, cardiovascular fitness and burning calories on average, with a leader with skills who can help
    you gain the body you desire by increasing calorie consumption.

Stories about rides, granfondos, touring, having a column design which actually begins in.
    By the time I was at St-Benoît-des-Ondes, I had really good gates and that’s bicycle it.
    Balancing is not justa matter of skillfully positioning yourself to keep your bicycle in motion
    and prevent falls or avoid accidents.

Comment by Aleida – April 19, 2014 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post