TVLine Items: FX Adapting Fargo to Series, ABC Names Its Next Bachelor and More!

FX FargoFX is teaming with famed big-screen helmers Joel and Ethan Coen to develop a series loosely based on their film Fargo, Deadline reports.

A two-time Academy Award winner, the 1996 hit movie stars Frances McDormand (Almost Famous) as a pregnant cop investigating a series of murders. William H. Macy (Shameless) also stars as a financially strapped car salesman who hires two criminals (Boardwalk Empire‘s Steve Buscemi and Prison Break‘s Peter Stormare) to abduct his wife.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Boss Developing FX Comedy Diva. Clown. Killer., Eyes Katey Sagal to Star

The Coen brothers will executive-produce the project, while My Generation creator Noah Hawley will pen and exec-produce, as well.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Bachelorette fan favorite Sean Lowe will get another chance at love as The Bachelor, People.com reports. Lowe was second-runner-up in Bachelorette‘s most recent season, which ended with Emily Maynard accepting Jef Holm’s marriage proposal. Lowe, a Dallas businessman, will begin handing out roses when the ABC reality dating show returns in January.

David Meunier is set to return to Justified in a major way in Season 4, per The Hollywood Reporter. The actor, who currently recurs on NBC’s Revolution, will reprise his role as Boyd’s double-crossing cousin Johnny in 10 of the season’s 13 episodes.

• With the end of 30 Rock drawing near, Tina Fey has signed a four-year overall deal with Universal Television. Per The Hollywood Reporter, the pact will find Fey developing new projects, withe the potential to star in one.

RELATED | 30 Rock Casts Bryan Cranston and Catherine O’Hara as Kenneth’s [Spoilers]!

• MSNBC’s Morning Joe co-host Willie Geist has been named co-host of Today‘s 9 am hour, The New York Times has learned. An official announcement from NBC is expected later this week. In addition to his day-to-day duties, Geist will act as a backup for host Matt Lauer in Today‘s 7-9am time slot.

• Teri Polo (Meet the Parents) and Sherri Saum (One Life to Live) have been tapped to star in The Fosters, ABC Family’s Jennifer Lopez-produced drama pilot which follows a multi-ethnic family of foster and biological kids being raised by two moms.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Contract Talks, Daytime TV, Pilots, TVLine Items

1. tp says:

Does The Bachelor get really good ratings? I’m being serious. I don’t watch reality t.v. so I’m very curious.

• nick1372 says:

Last year, it had a 2.6 ratings average, making it ABC’s second highest-rated reality show behind Dancing With the Stars. And it might soon become the highest, since DWTS just got a 2.7 for its season premiere. So for a reality, it does very good, and since it’s cheap, it earns a lot of money for ABC. It gets good ratings, but not spectacular ones.

2. Still Terry says:

Oh my. Fargo is a classic and I really hope they do it justice.

3. Nna says:

Boring Sean as the bachelor??? I guess ABC wants a repeat of the low ratings it had for Ben’s season!

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

But would they have anyone from the original cast? A lot of those characters died or else went to jail. I’m pretty sure Frances McDormand was the only one left standing. So would the show center on her character with all new characters added? This all seems really weird. I think I might just stick to Fx dramas Justified and Sons of Anarchy. Besides, I would have rather seen The Hudsucker Proxy or Raising Arizona or The Big Lebowski made into a series, those were a lot more fun to watch for me. Yes. Give me a show about The Dude, Walter Sobchak and a bunch of nihilists. I would totally watch that. I was never really in the cult of people who thought Fargo was the best movie ever.

5. Jinjeon says:

I think Sarah Michelle Gellar would be perfect in the role of Marge Gunderson. FX should really consider hiring her for “Fargo”.

• CJ says:

I wouldn’t have thought of that, but now that you’ve brought it up, I can see that working well. She would be a good choice.

6. teamo says:

FX has a pretty good track record with there dramas so I’m curious to see how Fargo turns out. I’ll definitely check it out.

7. Miffy says:

CBS did a pilot for a “Fargo” series years ago, with Edie Falco in the lead role.

8. Bob says:

“So that was Mrs. Lundegaard on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Brainerd. And for what? For a little bit of money. There’s more to life than a little money, you know. Don’tcha know that? And here ya are, and it’s a beautiful day. Well. I just don’t understand it.”