Ben and Kate: Are These Siblings Your Speed?

Ben and Kate Premiere RecapIf sitcom siblings with ridiculously cute kids are your cup of tea, you’re in luck: Fox’s Ben and Kate has officially arrived. But are you ready to join this family on a weekly basis?

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on the quirky new comedy, but first, a brief refresher: Based loosely on the life of creator Dana Fox, Ben and Kate centers on a brother and sister (Nat Faxon and Dakota Johnson, respectively), who, after sticking close together during their childhood, have grown to live vastly different lives.

Johnson’s young, single mom (who’s been graced with the standout kid of the Fall 2012 TV season in Maggie Elizabeth Jones) is uptight and needs some youthful fun in her life, while Faxon’s free-wheeling doof is craving some stability in his. The solution? Ben opting to move in to act as nanny to his niece and to help his sis live a little. Echo Kellum and Lucy Punch also co-star in the series as the sibs’ off-beat — and laugh-inducing — best pals.

What say you, TVLiners? Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Ben and Kate, then back up your pick in the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Polls, Premieres

1. murley says:

loved it. unexpectedly. maybe my favorite new sitcom (based on pilots only). hope like the other newbies i have enjoyed so far, like the new normal, this one gets better and better.

2. Streed says:

IT INDUCED MY LAUGHTER

3. iMember says:

YES! YES! YES! This was my second time watching the pilot since I saw it early, but it was just as funny as the first time. Love it!

4. maynepei says:

meh found it lame

5. jrweilenmann says:

I love Punch normally, have followed her on BBC for years…totally under utilized her. Only kept watching Go On and The New Normal came on…NN just started and I’ve already laughed more in 30 seconds than I did in 30 minutes.

6. Lou says:

Easily the best new comedy of this Fall season. They didn’t try to overreach, and that’s a good thing.

7. kat says:

I liked it so much better than The Mindy Project. I thought all the characters were really likable, especially Ben and the kid. I really found no one redeemable on the Mindy Project and I usually love Chris Messina….

8. Patricia says:

I loved it, it was cute and funny. The little girl was adorable, I was laughing out loud. I thought Lucy Punch was hilarious, when she was doing the make up on the little girl I couldn’t stop laughing. Also watched New Girl and I’ve been missing out I thought it was really funny. The Mindy project was the weakest for me, it wasn’t funny and she was trying way too hard But i think it has potential, i’ll give it a few more episodes.

9. Amanda says:

This show was not originally on my radar but since i still had some DVR space for the time slot so I figured I would give it a chance. I am SOOO glad that I did, this show was fantastic, it was witty, quirky, and charming. I cannot wait till next week

10. CJ says:

Disappointed, turned it off after 10 minutes.

11. Jenna says:

Really liked it!

12. ben says:

It’s pretty rare to find child actors who can really act and make you like the show more instead of less. I’ve been ready to give this a go since We Bought a Zoo.

13. cj says:

give it a few episodes to find itself and it’ll be great. the little girl is SOOOO smart and eloquent holy crap. and lucy punch is friggin-tastic.

14. tvaddict says:

I think it has potential and I did like it more than Partners. Haven’t watched Mindy yet. I will give it a few more episodes before I commit to it but really Fox seems to have a pretty good Tuesday comedy block.

15. Alex says:

It wasn’t very funny. I laughed only a couple of times. Also, the brother is tremendously annoying. Another stinker this fall.

16. Joy says:

The little girl was great. The brother was over the top. Will watch next week to see if he calms down a bit.

17. JamandaFan says:

Loved loved loved it!! I especially loved Nat Faxon and thought newcomer Echo Kellum was so funny!! Best new show so far…

18. susan says:

why wasn’t that child in a safety seat. She obviously isn’t over 8.

19. Zai says:

I thought the pilot wasn’t bad at all, the characters seem likable. The little girl is adorable and a good actor, she kinds of look like a young Julia stiles. I see potential, even though Im not sure where this is going exactly. I agree the Echo kallum (what a name) guy is fun and likable.

Its not my kind of show maybe, but I think those who like these kind of shows will enjoy it. I will maybe watch the second episode to get more of a picture where this is going.

20. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I think there’s some potential there and I’ll tune in for a few more episodes to see where it’s heading.

21. lauren says:

The brother reminded me of ryan reynolds in comedies. Not sure how I felt about him, but the little girl is adorable.

22. Matt says:

I thought it was hilarious. I bought into the characters within just a few minutes. MUCH better than The Mindy Project. Kaling is so unlikeable.

23. Greg says:

I thought it was pretty funny. Tone reminded me alot of Worst Week which I thought was very funny and cut too soon. Hopefully this makes it for a while. Good Tuesday line up of comedies Fox!

24. Joe says:

Ben&Kate grew on me Mindy Project I changed after 10 mins in

25. meg says:

yeah, not a fan… of either show… Ben & kate stayed on b/c it was between New Girl, but i didn’t really get into it… I haven’t really seen any comedy that i liked so far this year… i just want suburgatory to come back. :)

26. TaraMisu says:

I guess I’m in the minority, I didn’t care for this show at all. But I always like to give a new show 3-4 episodes before I write them off.

27. susela says:

The brother edges toward obnoxiousness, but as long as he reins it in a little this show can be really good. Loved the random bits, such as the brother saying breathlessly, “We have to save your mom!” and then laboriously trying to turn the family van around. Also the make-up scene—the kid is great.

28. nick1372 says:

B+

it was horrifically silly at times, but it was charming enough to make up for it. It shows a lot of potential.

Look at me talking like a critic. ;-)

29. Rain says:

Loved it! The 2 leads have a great brother/sister chemistry, very believable. It def. made me laugh for the whole 30 minutes. It fit in great between the 2 new New Girl episodes!

30. beej says:

In my opinion this is the cutest family comedy debuting this season (at least so far). I can only hope the pilot wasn’t the culmination of the writer’s jokes and there’s much more beyond it. I’ve learned to NEVER say anything is a keeper after just the pilot, but I’m sure hoping it will be!

31. mia says:

I rarely give up on a show halfway through the pilot, but I really did not care for this show and I turned it off 10 minutes in.
    I’ll stick with Mindy

32. T says:

I wanted it to be so much better than it was but I’ll watch again to give it another chance. I like Dakota Johnson but I don’t find her awkward enough and her comic timing seems to be a bit off even though she supposed to be the “straight guy”. And I agree with the people that said Ben needed to take it down a notch. He was a lot funnier when he did. I like the guy that played his best friend, I get a little Donald Glover vibe from him in his acting style but I love me some DG so that’s ok. The little girl was everything! So darn cute. The best line of the show to me was a throw away one. After Ben FINALLY was able to complete the U-turn in the car, the lady in the car behind him sarcastically yells “Congratulations!” to him out of her window. So funny!

33. Jae Yim says:

I too surprisingly loved it. There is something INCREDIBLY down to earth and very real about Kate. Very charming in her own uncomfortable way too. And Ben..oh my god. I’ve been waiting for this guy to get his own show–enough said.

34. Danielle H says:

I liked this wayy more then I thought I was going to. Lucy Punch speaking w/ her English accent is the highlight for me. Kate is really likeable, as is the kid. The show would be DOA without really likeable people in the rolls.