Fall TV Preview

Ben and Kate: Are These Siblings Your Speed?

Ben and Kate Premiere RecapIf sitcom siblings with ridiculously cute kids are your cup of tea, you’re in luck: Fox’s Ben and Kate has officially arrived. But are you ready to join this family on a weekly basis?

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on the quirky new comedy, but first, a brief refresher: Based loosely on the life of creator Dana Fox, Ben and Kate centers on a brother and sister (Nat Faxon and Dakota Johnson, respectively), who, after sticking close together during their childhood, have grown to live vastly different lives.

Johnson’s young, single mom (who’s been graced with the standout kid of the Fall 2012 TV season in Maggie Elizabeth Jones) is uptight and needs some youthful fun in her life, while Faxon’s free-wheeling doof is craving some stability in his. The solution? Ben opting to move in to act as nanny to his niece and to help his sis live a little. Echo Kellum and Lucy Punch also co-star in the series as the sibs’ off-beat — and laugh-inducing — best pals.

What say you, TVLiners? Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give Ben and Kate, then back up your pick in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (40)

• loved it. unexpectedly. maybe my favorite new sitcom (based on pilots only). hope like the other newbies i have enjoyed so far, like the new normal, this one gets better and better.

Comment by murley – September 25, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IT INDUCED MY LAUGHTER

Comment by Streed – September 25, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES! This was my second time watching the pilot since I saw it early, but it was just as funny as the first time. Love it!

Comment by iMember – September 25, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • meh found it lame

Comment by maynepei – September 25, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Punch normally, have followed her on BBC for years…totally under utilized her. Only kept watching Go On and The New Normal came on…NN just started and I’ve already laughed more in 30 seconds than I did in 30 minutes.

Comment by jrweilenmann – September 25, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easily the best new comedy of this Fall season. They didn’t try to overreach, and that’s a good thing.

Comment by Lou – September 25, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it so much better than The Mindy Project. I thought all the characters were really likable, especially Ben and the kid. I really found no one redeemable on the Mindy Project and I usually love Chris Messina….

Comment by kat – September 25, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did really like The Mindy Project and will keep watching, but Ben & Kate just has this extra charm and I really love it.

Comment by iMember – September 25, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly how I felt. This was fluff, but it was enjoyable fluff.

I liked Mindy Kaling on The Office but Mindy Project was pretty terrible and had REALLY unlikable characters.

Comment by Roy – September 25, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally felt the same way and I thought I would love The Mindy Project. It was just OK. I didn’t expect to like Ben & Kate as much as I did.

Comment by amandareynolds – September 26, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I l

Comment by Patricia – September 25, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it, it was cute and funny. The little girl was adorable, I was laughing out loud. I thought Lucy Punch was hilarious, when she was doing the make up on the little girl I couldn’t stop laughing. Also watched New Girl and I’ve been missing out I thought it was really funny. The Mindy project was the weakest for me, it wasn’t funny and she was trying way too hard But i think it has potential, i’ll give it a few more episodes.

Comment by Patricia – September 25, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was not originally on my radar but since i still had some DVR space for the time slot so I figured I would give it a chance. I am SOOO glad that I did, this show was fantastic, it was witty, quirky, and charming. I cannot wait till next week

Comment by Amanda – September 25, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed, turned it off after 10 minutes.

Comment by CJ – September 25, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really liked it!

Comment by Jenna – September 25, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s pretty rare to find child actors who can really act and make you like the show more instead of less. I’ve been ready to give this a go since We Bought a Zoo.

Comment by ben – September 25, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • give it a few episodes to find itself and it’ll be great. the little girl is SOOOO smart and eloquent holy crap. and lucy punch is friggin-tastic.

Comment by cj – September 25, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it has potential and I did like it more than Partners. Haven’t watched Mindy yet. I will give it a few more episodes before I commit to it but really Fox seems to have a pretty good Tuesday comedy block.

Comment by tvaddict – September 25, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t very funny. I laughed only a couple of times. Also, the brother is tremendously annoying. Another stinker this fall.

Comment by Alex – September 25, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The little girl was great. The brother was over the top. Will watch next week to see if he calms down a bit.

Comment by Joy – September 25, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved loved loved it!! I especially loved Nat Faxon and thought newcomer Echo Kellum was so funny!! Best new show so far…

Comment by JamandaFan – September 25, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why wasn’t that child in a safety seat. She obviously isn’t over 8.

Comment by susan – September 26, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, who’s still in a safety seat at the age of 5? I know I wasn’t.

Comment by iMember – September 26, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the pilot wasn’t bad at all, the characters seem likable. The little girl is adorable and a good actor, she kinds of look like a young Julia stiles. I see potential, even though Im not sure where this is going exactly. I agree the Echo kallum (what a name) guy is fun and likable.

Its not my kind of show maybe, but I think those who like these kind of shows will enjoy it. I will maybe watch the second episode to get more of a picture where this is going.

Comment by Zai – September 26, 2012 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I think there’s some potential there and I’ll tune in for a few more episodes to see where it’s heading.

Comment by Jess/Skye (@CrashandBurn9) – September 26, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The brother reminded me of ryan reynolds in comedies. Not sure how I felt about him, but the little girl is adorable.

Comment by lauren – September 26, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was hilarious. I bought into the characters within just a few minutes. MUCH better than The Mindy Project. Kaling is so unlikeable.

Comment by Matt – September 26, 2012 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was pretty funny. Tone reminded me alot of Worst Week which I thought was very funny and cut too soon. Hopefully this makes it for a while. Good Tuesday line up of comedies Fox!

Comment by Greg – September 26, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben&Kate grew on me Mindy Project I changed after 10 mins in

Comment by Joe – September 26, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah, not a fan… of either show… Ben & kate stayed on b/c it was between New Girl, but i didn’t really get into it… I haven’t really seen any comedy that i liked so far this year… i just want suburgatory to come back. :)

Comment by meg – September 26, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m in the minority, I didn’t care for this show at all. But I always like to give a new show 3-4 episodes before I write them off.

Comment by TaraMisu – September 26, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The brother edges toward obnoxiousness, but as long as he reins it in a little this show can be really good. Loved the random bits, such as the brother saying breathlessly, “We have to save your mom!” and then laboriously trying to turn the family van around. Also the make-up scene—the kid is great.

Comment by susela – September 26, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • B+

it was horrifically silly at times, but it was charming enough to make up for it. It shows a lot of potential.

Look at me talking like a critic. ;-)

Comment by nick1372 – September 26, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it! The 2 leads have a great brother/sister chemistry, very believable. It def. made me laugh for the whole 30 minutes. It fit in great between the 2 new New Girl episodes!

Comment by Rain – September 26, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion this is the cutest family comedy debuting this season (at least so far). I can only hope the pilot wasn’t the culmination of the writer’s jokes and there’s much more beyond it. I’ve learned to NEVER say anything is a keeper after just the pilot, but I’m sure hoping it will be!

Comment by beej – September 26, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rarely give up on a show halfway through the pilot, but I really did not care for this show and I turned it off 10 minutes in.
    I’ll stick with Mindy

Comment by mia – September 26, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted it to be so much better than it was but I’ll watch again to give it another chance. I like Dakota Johnson but I don’t find her awkward enough and her comic timing seems to be a bit off even though she supposed to be the “straight guy”. And I agree with the people that said Ben needed to take it down a notch. He was a lot funnier when he did. I like the guy that played his best friend, I get a little Donald Glover vibe from him in his acting style but I love me some DG so that’s ok. The little girl was everything! So darn cute. The best line of the show to me was a throw away one. After Ben FINALLY was able to complete the U-turn in the car, the lady in the car behind him sarcastically yells “Congratulations!” to him out of her window. So funny!

Comment by T – September 26, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too surprisingly loved it. There is something INCREDIBLY down to earth and very real about Kate. Very charming in her own uncomfortable way too. And Ben..oh my god. I’ve been waiting for this guy to get his own show–enough said.

Comment by Jae Yim – September 26, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked this wayy more then I thought I was going to. Lucy Punch speaking w/ her English accent is the highlight for me. Kate is really likeable, as is the kid. The show would be DOA without really likeable people in the rolls.

Comment by Danielle H – September 27, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post