Castle Recap: Was It Good for You, Too?

The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the Season 5 premiere of ABC’s Castle.

Worth the wait, Castle fans?

After 139 days and the “occasional” piece of reporting from yours truly, Season 5 of the ABC drama arrived Monday night, and the first order of business was a bit of monkey businessuntil, that is, mama Martha came a-knocking, bring to a halt what would have been, by Rick’s count, “Round 4.”

We then got some terrific physical comedy from Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, as Beckett most begrudgingly hid in Castle’s closet, and again moments later as she tip-toed out of his place while he distracted Martha and a hungover Alexis with a dissertation on, what was it, the evils of OTC pain relievers?

Regrouping at Kate’s place, Rick explained himself  — “I was operating on instinct,” “I want to keep what we have together to ourselves” and all that. Still, “It wasn’t your finest hour,” Kate scoffed. But when Ryan came knocking on Kate’s door, she urged Rick to pull a similar disappearing act, but as Rick argued, “I have my pants on,” so there’s nothing to hide.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: For Castle and Beckett, ‘The Fun and Conflict Only Escalate!’

CLOSING IN ON A KILLER
On Ryan’s mind: The target of the season-finale break-in at Montgomery’s was a photo album, and the missing pic — reproduced via the negative — is the guy Castle had been secretly meeting to secure Beckett’s safety from the conspiracy behind her mother’s murder. Through some impressive-slash-remarkable-slash-OTT observation and compilation of clues, Rick, Kate and Ryan ID the guy as Michael Smith. Alas, they arrive at his place too late, after Cole Maddox has tortured him within an inch of his life.

Before heading to the hospital, Smith gasped to Castle a clue that led to an (of course) abandoned building where Smith once had an office. Thing is, Maddox was there too, and he promptly zip-tied Caskett while he went to crack a safe. Rick labored to free him and Kate to no avail, at which point he grumbled, “If we got murdered right now, I’d feel so ripped off!” Then: “At least we had last night…. We shoulda done that four years ago!”

“Done what four years ago?” Espo asked as he came through the door to the rescue.

RELATED | Can a ‘Spectacular’ Gesture Mend Things With Castle‘s Ryan and Esposito?

BOOM, BOOM
Beckett got the drop on Maddox, but before justice could be served and the file retrieved, he went out with a bang, as the safe had been booby-trapped — and its contents turned into confetti. When Gates shows up and grills the suspended Beckett on what happened, Ryan plays it down the middle with his version of events, then later does the gang one better, delivering the file shreds. After some puzzle work, they glean the account number that a money order/pay-off was deposited to — and, thanks to Espo’s ability to recall a password he once used years ago, they learn it belongs to one William Bracken aka Senator Bracken.

Smith comes out of surgery and lives long enough to fill in some blanks for Beckett, but refuses to testify to what he knows. (As he put it, he owed Montgomery, but “I don’t you.”) Before Caskett can convince him otherwise, they step away from his room long enough for someone to silence the old man for good. And that leaves Kate fearing for her life. “Let me take you someplace, Kate, someplace where you’ll be safe,” says Rick. She frets, “I’ll never be safe.”

PHOTOS | Castle Hot Shots: Who’s the Bikini’d Babe Straddling Rick?!

ROCKING THE VOTE
The next morning, Rick wakes in Kate’s bed (Kate’s bed!) to find her gone and on Bracken’s trail. Through the deft planting of a cell in his pocket, she leads the politico to a very private meet-and-greet. She wants him to admit to his treachery and the trail of bodies left in its wake, but he argues that it’s not about who has the gun, but who has the power — and with her being a suspended cop obsessed with her mom’s murder, he, an upright politician, has that power.

Au contraire, Kate says. Bluffing that the second file was found intact, she lays out her terms: The deal Bracken had with Smith, he now has with her. And no one near her gets even a scratch. “Whoever it is you think I am… you have no idea what I am capable of or how far I will go,” she growls. “I am done being afraid; it’s your turn now.” One nasty pistol-whip later, her business is done.

RELATED | Castle Q&A: Stana Katic Talks of Beckett the “Cobra Lying in Wait”

Back at the 12th, Beckett asks for her job back, but Gates forces her to sweat out her full suspension. But what ever will she do with that free time, Rick asks. “I’m sure I’ll think of something,” Kate said with a mischievous smile… and an apparent grab at her guy.

1. Grace says:

I know it’s such a trivial thing to comment on out of the whole hour (which I loved!). But… Smith wasn’t an alias? WTH

2. rachelle says:

this episode was EVERYTHING i dreamed of and MORE!! i’m definitely excited for the rest of the season! the transition from them being partners to them being more was smooth and natural. the part where Kate hugs Rick was so poignant, so touching to me because it showed such a vulnerable side to her that she often hates showing to other people. i think that hug was more intimate than anything else in that episode. just beautiful! and the scene where Kate’s racing to get to Senator Bracken and the montage is playing was so powerful. the pacing, the score of that whole montage was just amazing. and her speech to Senator Bracken!! definitely felt that in my heart! the chemistry between Stana and Nathan was crazy hot [like this needs to be said!] this episode was just perfection, completely worth the wait, and i’m so excited for the rest of Season 5.

3. The8treGirl says:

O
    M
    G
    I was left breathless at the end of this 59 minutes. I didn’t even leave the room to go pee during the commercials for fear I’d come back late.

So many fine & funny & fierce moments… bloody broken DVR!! I can’t believe I’m saying this but… thank god there’ll be re-runs later this fall :-)

4. Andrea says:

The episode was perfect! There was drama, comedy and everything in between. The acting was flawless and the writing could not have been any better. Seriously, amazing!

5. Coll says:

Nothing today could put me in a bad mood because I knew Castle would be back- and it was pure awesome. funny, sweet…funny..intense…funny….! Sidenote: I believe Kate hit the senator, while wearing her mother’s ring (She twists her fingers as she speaks of her mom right after). Awesome. Enough said!

6. Teri says:

Would have liked To see an actual love scene, but I love Castle so much that I can live with what they showed.

7. Kate says:

Wow wow wow!!!!!! Well that was totally worth the wait. What a fantastic episode. It was a perfect mix of funny, romance and suspense. And, holy crap @ Badass Kate Beckett! LOVED it! The preview for next week looks great too!

8. c-mo says:

This ep has found a home on my DVR right next to the season 4 finale…it was truly EPIC!!! Thank you AM and everyone at Castle for exceeding our wildest expectations, you all are credits to each and every one of your professions!

9. adam says:

Beyond Perfect! :)

10. Katie says:

Awesome episode. Not sure why they didn’t go to Montgomery’s wife for Mr Smith’s identity, but I’m just being too logical I guess.
    And Bracken’s story about his childhood friend came way out of left field… not so sure about the writing with that. Kate’s “bada**” scene didn’t live up to my expectations.
    Moments with Kate and Castle: A++++++++
    Overall: B+

• Jane says:

WOW. Good call on Montgomery’s wife.

• Adrian says:

Well to answer you question about why they didn’t get Montgomery’s wife to identify Mr. Smith… is they actually did! in the first scene with Ryan where he is talking about the case with Gates, when asked if he has been able to track down the missing photo he says: “Well I got Evelyn Montgomery bringing the negatives in, but truth is I’m a one man band…etc.” so i guess they tried that but she wasn’t able to identify him :)

• Sammie says:

Except bringing in the negatives would take time to find the missing photo and Mrs. Montgomery likely didn’t hang around for that. My guess is they never actually got around to asking her which would have been my first move…then all the sleuthing to figure it out if she didn’t know.

• Tallulah says:

It wasn’t left field, he was trying to manipulate her because he was desperate and she saw right through him.

Good point with Montgomery’s wife though, ha.

11. FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!!!!! Are you KIDDING me, Andrew Marlowe, Rob Bowman, David Amann, Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion, Seamus Dever, Jon Huertes, and Penny Johnson Jerald???? That was an amazing hour of television from start to finish! What more could you want? We got fluffliness, humor, drama, and A$$-KICKING Beckett……who could ask for anything more???? Loved “After the Storm” and the promo for “Cloudy with a Chance of Murder” looks…dare I say it…. EVEN MORE ENTERTAINING! :) It’s fun to be a #Castle fan!

12. Marie says:

Amazing premiere!!! Everything was perfect! Definitely worth the wait. :”> Thank you, Marlowe! :D

13. Ana says:

it was worth the wait. The writing here just keeps getting better and better. There are very few shows that can keep it fresh going into their fifth year but Castle manages to do that and then some. The best part is that it doesn’t feel like this is the end of the line. Other shows once the lead characters get together they get kind of boring because it was just about reaching that moment. But Castle and Beckett have so much chemistry and their relationship is so multi-dimensional that it makes it that much richer. I think Stana’s genius just hit a high note tonight. That little ‘Risky Business’ move as she was trying to sneak out was golden! These two are soooo funny together. Love this show. Love the cast. Love the writing.

14. eridapo says:

Incredible episode. Was glued to the tv set the entire hour, and after the first 10 minutes I had no doubts that bringing Caskett together added to the show. The comedy between the two at the start with Castle asking Beckett to hide in his Closet and her not wanting to, and then having the same scenario repeat itself in her loft and him not complying because he had his pants on was the best scene I seen from any couple on tv in a while. Castle and Beckett are great together. Best couple on tv right now.

After those incredible opening minutes, the show shifts to close out the case and the pending matters from the season finale. Can I say they did an incredible job. Smith prove himself to be a not so good guy when he coldly tells Kate that he owe Montgomery but he didn’t owe her.

It was also nice seeing Kate grabbed her life back and letting her mother’s case not drive her life. She has something else to live for. The justice for her mother is secondary to her new life. Good to see Kate make that choice.

The ending scene at the elevator like the opening 10 minutes was there to remind us how great these two are and will be in the future episodes..

15. Ali, Sr. says:

CASTLE Season 5 Premiere was all that….and more :) :) !!! I always thought the multipurpose use of NCIS’ elevators was cute…until I saw Kate & Rick use the elevator in the 12th. Why Detective Beckett, you are a wild card, & Castle, who did not smile that much before, now has this perennial grin on his face…Oh Mr. Castle, how many layers to Detective Beckett… sexy, witty, cute and oh so cheeky :) A wicked awesome start to Season 5 – oh yes…wicked awesome :) :) :)

• zaza says:

Oh the grin on Castle’s face the morning after! He was so adorable when he was asking her if she was interested in pursuing a relationship…like a hopeful little boy! So sweet. Sigh….

16. jenn says:

Talk about a show that works and cares about the fans and great story telling. Thank you Marlowe and co for never dissapointing us.

17. leigh says:

That episode was so great! Welcome back Castle Mondays! We have missed you so…

18. John DeMayo says:

This has to be in the top five (if not top two, alongside the Season 3 finale) episodes of Castle ever.

Castle is great at switching seamlessly between the comedic and dramatic elements within the same episode. The beginning of the episode with Beckett hiding in the closet was just priceless, and Beckett’s confrontation with the senator was one of the most dramatic moments I’ve seen on TV in a long time. I would argue Stana Katic is more than deserving of an Emmy nomination.

19. loretta says:

Espo used the password during the occupy bombing case, which was in the last third of the past season, so technically it’s only been weeks in the timeline of the show.

20. Yvette says:

Great start to season 5. Episode 1 has exceeded my expectations – it had a bit of everything – love, friendship, bonding, comedy, serious moments, playfulness, “bad ass Kate”. Nathan and Stana are really good actors and deserving of emmy nominations. Hats off to Andrew Marlow, Rob Bowman and the team for exceptional and unique writing and directing skills. Cannot wait for the rest of season 5 episodes – I know it will be great.

21. June says:

Guys the show was awesome i loved it , great job Nathon you are fantastic and so is Beckett i loved the way she handle that guy at the end of the movie she was very brave .

22. baba says:

What’s better than “awesome”? Epic? Because it was epic. The hour was pleasantly mixed with humor and drama. And I’m loving the NEW BAMF Beckett. This is a great beginning of what seems to be a promising season.

Is it Monday yet?

23. Amanda says:

phenomenal. as per usual.

24. Shannon says:

The episode was Legend…wait for it…dary!!!!!

25. Elsol69 says:

This very much lived up to the promise of season 1 humor + chemistry that castle and Beckett had. Kate is so awesome in the relationship — she seems to have dived head I with no parachute. It is incredible to see her ‘playing’ with castle but still lean on him. I have said from the beginning that Beckett needs the foundation that Castle offers…but it is like Beckett to the tenth power now that she has that one part of her life on the right track. Awesome season coming!

26. grace says:

SO GOOD! Great to have Castle back every monday!

27. JS4P says:

I liked all the Caskett bits, and hated all the bits relating to the case, because they were illogical and beyond stupid. The strong suit of the show was never the strength of their cases, so when it tries to make big dramatic ones, it usually fails miserably. This was no exception. It was far, far from an exception.

So good beginning of the episode, good end (a naughty Beckett is a fun Beckett) and GMAFB to everything else in between.

And not even a kiss between Caskett? Uhh why?

I didn’t expect it, but I was disappointed by this episode. That’s what I get for listening to reviewers.

I think I’ll be happier next week when the show gets back to what it’s good at, which is fun banter and light cases. Hopefully the next episode will also have some sexytiemes that make it to the screen, and don’t all happen off-screen. Banter adds to the romance, it doesn’t take the place of it.

28. maryploppins says:

I can’t tell if I’m just crazy or not, but the sound mixing seemed strangely bad to me on this episode. I don’t know if that was just on my local station (KGO) or what, but it drove me insane because all the dialogue sounded muffled. I had to rewind several scenes 3-4 times just to try to make out what people were saying. Arrgh!! I re-watched some of the S4 finale right before the premiere started and the sound was noticeably different (worse) on the premiere to me. I’m going to try watching online tomorrow to see if it sounds any better. But it kept taking me out of the episode to try to figure out what people were saying every 5 to 10 minutes!!

Other than that, I’d give this a B+, but if I were not so frustrated with the sound issues I would have been able to enjoy it more. The morning after scene was hysterical – I wasn’t sure what tone they were gonna go for, but clearly they went mostly for the funny, and it had me LOLing. Beckett on a mission to go after Senator Bracken was good too. Fave line (from Beckett to Bracken): “That’s going to leave a nasty scar. Every time you see it, think of me.”

I did hope for a little more romancy Castle/Beckett stuff in this ep, but it looks like we’ll probably get more of that next week, from the preview. I think this should be a fun/funny season, I just hope the sound isn’t screwed up again next week.

• VACastlefan says:

Hopefully you find the sound better listening online. I watched the episode twice last night–once live and once DVR– and i didn’t notice anything about the sound. As a matter of course, stuff like that drives me insane, so had it been tough to hear I think I would have been annoyed by it. Good luck!

• carrie says:

I think it was probably your local station, sadly. The sound mixing on the episode I watched was pretty much flawless (my husband is a sound editor, so I’m keenly aware of these things). Sorry about that. I so understand how easily something like that can ruin a good show.

• maryploppins says:

Thanks Carrie and VACastlefan for weighing in, I’m going to play a few minutes of it for my husband tonight so he can tell me if I’m crazy hahaha. I was so frustrated with the sound that I actually did not re-watch the ep a second time, which is like unheard of for me for a premiere or season finale ep of Castle. ;-) But I am definitely going to watch it again online tonight and hopefully can fully enjoy it that way at least!

29. James says:

I know some believed that getting them together would ruin the show. you know who you are (cough, Mr. Fillion, cough) Marlowe and his crew proved tonight they know exactly what thier doing, only time will tell if they can carry it, but judging by this eppisode they’ve only improved on thier chemistry, cuddoes to Stana and Nathan they played off each other ;) perfectly. This is definatly in my top three Castle Episodes. Can’t Wait to see whats next.

30. Mike says:

Major problem with the show: the account number on the back of the check would have been more than enough to get a search warrant, which in turn would have led to that account, which could have been matched up with activity from other bank accounts in the case. Senator is finished. Rick and Kate move on.

(Hell, they could have simply called Angela Montenegro at the Smithsonian to reconstruct the shredded note!)

The problem with conspiracies this big: eventually keeping them going takes more and more willing suspension of disbelief on the part of the audience. Gotta give Once Upon a Time credit for being brave enough to completely shatter a key piece of the show and see where the characters go from there. Castle needs to have the courage to try that. (Presumably the Senator falls in May, which leads to an even MORE evil conspirator next year… etc, etc, etc.)

• M-One says:

Mike I do agree with you that it’s high time to end this conspiracy storyline. It’s beyond the point of logic now because I was wondering the same thing last night, if there is a bank account number found at a crime scene and they could so easily find out who owned it, then why couldn’t Ryan take it to the Captain? I really hope that you’re right and the Senator does go down in a few months because I would rather see a less convulated and more logical, new baddie lasting an entire season than this never ending conspiracy. The fact that Kate’s come to terms with her feelingz regarding Rick and no longer see her mother’s murder as a barrier towards a stronger emotional attachment to Rick should spell the demise of the conspiracy, hopefully, unless it turns out that someone more powerful than the senator, the VP perhaps is in on it too… Gosh no. Oy vey

• Lydia says:

Ryan could take the bank account number to Gates, but then what? Beckett and her team know that the money order means Bracken was taking payoffs from dirty cops, but they only inferred it from context; they can’t come close to proving it. The reason he wanted his payoffs as money orders made out to cash was so there wouldn’t be any way to connect him with the dirty cops. I don’t think it’s a plot hole. I would have liked it better if they had been able to take him down, though. Like Mike said, move on to something else. This case has gotten too big and convoluted and it’s eating the show.

• Tallulah says:

While I’m not sick of it and overall I think it’s being dealt with well and realistically and logically, I do think now she’s met him and everything taking it beyond this season will be a bit much. Considering how much was dealt with in this premiere and how good the writers are NOT overdoing things, i really think it will be finished up this season

31. SW says:

I thought this was a really great, and strong, premiere. Not just because of the Castle and Beckett scenes, which were of course amazing, but the whole episode was just so well-done. Many people thought that putting Castle and Beckett together would ruin the show, but I honestly couldn’t even tell much of a difference from the past seasons, except when they were in private, of course. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about if this episode is any indication of how good this season is going to be.

32. Eridapo says:

Did anyone notice the picture of the big elephant in Castle’s room? I guess mister Marlowe was having fun with us by so blatantly putting the picture in the middle of Caskett’s morning after…..

Gosh… I will say it again…. What a great episode….

And to the person saying talking about the account number, Beckett answered the question. They didn’t have anything to back their allegations up. From a chain of custody point of view, the evidence was tainted therefore inadmissible for a court order.

Do not ever mention ,,, Suspending disbelief and Angela Montenegro… Please…. an art student who acquires massive computer skills and is able to do things not even my friends at XDA Developers can do .. Please….

33. janet says:

this is the begining of smthing great

34. sara says:

It was great.
    Just enough cute romantic stuff and just enough action and mystery.
    Ryan needs a haircut.
    Looking forward to the rest of the season.

35. racor says:

i thought tvline said that “did you like it” would be about something else than the morning after?

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

Nope; I said it would be about something specific from their night together.

• racor says:

sorry, i missed that. so it was about something specific from their night together that we didn’t see?

• Ali, Sr. says:

Mr. Mitovich – I truly believe CASTLE was BECKETT’s first “complete” lover. Though not the most common scenario this holds true today for some women – it is a choice – their choice – their body. Kate’s demeanor spoke volumes through Stana’s magnificent interpretation.
        What was written for this scene I have no idea – what was beautifully expressed by our talented young actress (Stana Katic) was magical & possible – Castle was her first lover.
        Respectfully,
        Ali, Sr.

36. Lisa says:

First off I would bet about 2% of Castle fans watch for the cases. That being said this was one of the better resolutions. Especially as it relates to the Mombatross. I like that Beckett was able to walk away, and that finally she has something to walk to.

And I know SK gets a ton of acting credit but no one does subtle like Mr. Fillion. Great scene when he was looking through Smiths files and saying he HAD to find the needle in a haystack. He had to help keep Kate safe and help her solve this, both of their futures depended on it.

No complaints at all. Best part Kate finally getting the hug she needed in the season 4 premiere from Castle.

37. Jim says:

Did anyone notice that they used two different pictures of Mr. Smith? The first one was him farther away on the left side of the picture & the second one had him on the right hand side looking almost behind him. I got a laugh out of that.

38. Lilys87 says:

I like the reference to the pilot “you were right I had no idea” ! It proves Castle thought about it A LOT.
    The whole ep was pretty cool, I can’t wait to see the rest of it !

• iampeniel says:

For me too, all i could image at that moment was her strut down the street after she whispered that in his ear and the song stop and stare. lol

39. M-One says:

Loved castle, but its the second season for the new Captain and I’ve yet to warm up to her. I know he’s gone, but I miss Montgomery and his voice. This new Captain just comes across as trying too hard to be a tough guy and It just doesn’t work for me. Oh well, I loved the episode, and my favorite was when Kate hugged Castle in the last few minutes, the fact that she fell into his embrace so easily and without hesitation says a lot about her feelings for him.

40. Jackie says:

anyone else think that the picture of young Mr. Smith bore a striking resemblance to Castle? wondered if maybe he is/was the elusive father. also wonder if he faked his death.

that being said, loved the episode!

41. M-One says:

Was I the only one thinking why wasn’t Kate recording her conversation with the Senator? He didn’t come outright and admitted to killing her mother, but he said some pretty threatening things that if on record to be used to keep him in his place. And how awesome was Kate when she pistol whipped him. I was laughing so hard as he scrounged away holding his battered jaw.

• Sarah says:

Oh man, I was thinking the same thing!! I kept saying, obviously she’s taping this conversation, so SHE has the power….

Still AWESOME episode!!! I adore this show…. can’t believe I just got into it this year (I spent the summer watching every episode and I’m hooked!)

• Lydia says:

I thought she might have been, but she just couldn’t get him to say anything incriminating.

42. Andrea says:

I watched the episode again this morning and loved it even more. I’m very interested to see how the senator will factor into the season and how they will eventually bring him down. Because they did have evidence in the file number, but right not it’s not enough to actually convict him of anything. Nathan and Stana have even more chemistry now that Castle/Beckett are together. So exciting!

43. Krithika says:

Uhhhhh–mazing episode ever!!! seriously the amount of times i laughed in this episode greatly exceeded the number of times i laughed for ALL episodes of S4 COMBINED! Everything was just perfect!! And the scene where Kate hugged Rick….no comments. I was so overwhelmed by how easily she gave in to her vulnerability. And the last scene..? Had me running for cold water…! ;)
    p.s missed Lanie loads….

44. Dawn says:

Esposito to Castle: “You mean an extra extra piece?” LOL!

45. Nichole says:

have to ask about what to me was an obvious “blah” thing from the entire episode, but especially from the beginning scenes – who after a night of passionate love making, especially after showing up soaking wet, has awoken the next morning with hair and make-up that makes you look like an extra from a Victoria Secrets photo shoot?? The entire episode the amount of eye liner and puffy hair do was rather distracting, yes Beckett is a women, but she’s also supposed to be a hard hitting “serious at my job” detective, not a half time dancer at a sports game.

• Lydia says:

Seriously, that drove me nuts. It’s OK, TV producers. We are actually capable of watching people (even women!) who aren’t 100% made up and glamorous.

• Katherine215 says:

Um, it’s TV. Of course she’s going to look amazing the morning after. This is why they hire makeup and hair staff.

Also, why does being “serious” require a woman to downplay her looks? Beckett’s hot, strong and smart – she shouldn’t need to look frumpy to be taken seriously.

• Danny says:

Preach it, Katherine….I couldn’t agree more. Frumpy doesn’t mean she is better at her job. She is gorgeous, why should they play that down.

• Nichole says:

I did not say she should play down her looks, good for her to look that way, or that she has to be “frumpy” to be serious, my point is that the over done make-up and hair is at odds with the character and while it is TV, a little reality would be nice, maybe it’s different in America, but never seen a cop look like a Milano fashion model on the job in Australia. Haven’t seen that much eye liner since my sister rocked it in the 80’s lol (complete with the power point fried hair lol)

46. Ree says:

Last night was like watching a different show than what I had seen for the last couple of years. The fun of the first season was back. Loved Castle & Beckett’s comedic moments and they played them very well. Nathan Fillion looked so happy in his new role as Beckett’s lover. I hope the writers put Beckett’s mother’s death to rest for a long while and take the show in a new direction. It’s obvious that the actors can handle a variety of situations and moods. So glad the Castle that I used to love to much is back.

47. Katie says:

I thought it was brilliant, just enough tongue in cheek high jinx they are so good at. Who knew Stana would be so good at physical comedy? Espo’s reaction “Done what 4 years ago?” was classic. I only hope they can keep this going through the rest of the season! I’m certainly looking forward to being entertained.

48. sladewilson says:

Mondays are one of the best TV nights and last night didn’t disappoint esp with capping the night with two of the best Season Premieres I’ve witnessed in quite some time. Castle and Hawaii 5-0 should be viewed as blueprints as how to not only sum up your last season but how to continue without short changing your fans. Great writing and great acting wins everytime and both shows were absolutely excellent. Plus new dynamics were achieved. Castle literally hit a Grand Slam last night with what might be one of the best episodes they’ve ever produced. Totally on point…

49. Lydia says:

“thanks to Espo’s ability to recall a password he once used years ago”

I just assumed he’d saved it in his password manager. I still have passwords to resources I haven’t used since I was in grad school. :)

50. Morisot says:

I guess I’m the only one. I used to love Castle. I hated this episode. I didn’t see anything fun or light (or even romantic) about it. Smashing the Senator in the face just made Beckett look like a dirty, rogue cop.

• Andrea says:

I don’t think this episode was supposed to be fun or light. It was supposed to deal with Becketts mother’s murder and put some kind of resolution to it for now so they could move on to something else. If you’re looking for fun I think you should wait until next week. Andrew Marlowe and the rest of the cast have said they are moving back to the fun of the series, this epsidoe just wasn’t where it was going to start. From all the previews and spoilers about episodes to come, at least 2-5, the fun should return.