Emmys

Emmys 2012: Modern Family, Homeland Clean Up, Mad Men Shut Out, Jon Cryer Pulls Upset

Showtime brought victory Homeland when it walked away from the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards with four wins – including its first Outstanding Drama Series award and trophies for both its lead actor (Damian Lewis) and actress (Claire Danes). ABC’s Modern Family tied the freshman drama, nabbing a quartet of statues including Outstanding Comedy Series.

AMC’s Mad Men, which went into the ceremony with 17 nominations and a four-year streak of winning the drama-series race, suffered a complete shut-out. At the other end of the spectrum, Two and a Half Men’s Jon Cryer got gold in his first crack at the comedy’s Lead Actor category (and seemed quite shocked by the recognition).

Also of note: The Academy elected to give HBO’s Sarah Palin-skewering movie Game Change four Emmys during the night – which was broadcast live from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles — and The Daily Show With Jon Stewart took home its tenth consecutive Emmy for Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series.

Here are all the winners from Sunday. Skim the list and tell us what you think about the results!

Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Writing in a Drama Series Homeland
Directing in a Drama Series Tim Van Patten, Boardwalk Empire
Outstanding Drama Series Homeland

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Amazing Race
Reality Host Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars

Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Louis C.K., Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theatre
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards
Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie Julianne Moore, Game Change
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie Tom Berenger, Hatfields & McCoys
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie Danny Strong, Game Change
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie Jay Roach, Game Change
Outstanding Miniseries or Movie |

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys held Sept. 15….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Jeremy Davies, Justified
Reality Program | Undercover Boss (CBS)
Casting in a Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
Casting For A Comedy Series | Girls (HBO)
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Game Change (HBO)

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. Joey says:

Hooray for Charlize Theron’s new squeeze! :-)

2. Stephanie says:

Mayim Bialik was robbed!

• lariet50 says:

Preach! Preach!

• Leigh Anne Gayle says:

Yes she was so robbed!!!!!!

• webuiltthepyramids says:

PLEASE. She was not. Just because you’re crazy about a TV character doesn’t mean they’re Emmy-worthy. The droid did not deserve to win.

• KevyB says:

You know nothing! Pretty much almost everyone was robbed! I mean, we already knew the Emmys sucked, but they pretty much slam-dunked the suckitude this year. Honestly, a bunch of writing awards to Homeland, a show with the most predictable twists in television history? Next to nothing for Breaking Bad, which put out quite possibly the best season of a drama in television history. Not even a directing award, for a show that is easily the best directed on television. There are truly only about five winners listed that I can even tolerate. And there were many categories where I would have been happy with any of the winners EXCEPT the one who won. Absolute joke.

• No Thanks says:

This comment is a joke. Now the Comedy category was way off on the winners, but the Drama Category was dead on. And Homeland predictable compared to Breaking Bad? Want me to tell you how Breaking Bad is gonna end? He’s gonna get shot or go to jail. That’s what a predictable show looks like. And come on, I just caught up on BB and the show is Ok at best. Surprised it has won as much as it has.

• StickWelder says:

You couldn’t predict one thing that was going to happen in any one episode of Breaking Bad. As far as your end prediction – you’re probably right.

• kaejar says:

Her character is a total rip-off of Lilith from Cheers/Frasier – there is nothing original there and even her vocal mannerisms is forced

• jessie higH20 says:

True. And true. Although Lilith was WAY more tolerable than Amy is – and I believe that in a parallel universe where a more talented (not to mention tolerable) actress is playing the character, Amy wouldn’t be half as bad as she is now. And yeah, Bialik’s vocal mannerisms are annoying as hell – stop ending most of your sentences like its a goddamn question, you’ve got a PhD, for heaven’s sake.

• Lee says:

Wait…what? Lilith was a stuck up “member of academic society,” not a robotic academic. They are about 200 pages apart in the “Comedic Characters Handbook.”

3. Kate says:

I thought it would be Ed O’Neil, but was hoping for JTF!

4. jill says:

Shouldabin Schmidt!

• lariet50 says:

Preach again!

• Edward says:

It should have also been Amy Poehler.For them not to give her the emmy is just a travesty of epic proportions.

• Lauren says:

Couldn’t agree more. The one thing I wanted to happen was for Amy to win. Absolutely ridiculous. She is the best comedic actress on television, hands down. And every single year she makes the Best Comedy Actress segment HILARIOUS! I do not understand Emmy voters.

5. ollie says:

bil hader and sophia vergara should have one

6. JON CRYER WON AGAIN??? ARE THEY ON CRACK?

• Olivia says:

This, absolutely

• No Thanks says:

Gotta agree with this comment. Didn’t they give him his pity emmy last year. Now he got another one. That show is so full of suck without Charlie Sheen its funny they think they can milk another year out of it.

• Zayne says:

This show was full of suck since it’s first episode. I don’t understand the Emmy’s. Actual comedy clearly plays no part in the Lead Actor category.

• Debbie says:

I agree ! I don’t understand why or how he got the nod in the first place unless it was to spit in sheens face. But both Parsons and Don C. were a joy to watch. They were robbed.

7. gaby says:

What????? John Cryer? Huh? What?????

8. lll says:

John Cryer is an upset win. Can’t believe he won his first emmy.

9. Jane says:

Okay. Jon Cryer, I love you, well done on dealing with Charlie Sheen for so long, but SERIOUSLY??

10. Olivia says:

Would love to see someone other than a Modern Family Actor win for once.

11. p says:

HOW the hell did jon cryer win. everyone else in that category deserved it more than him

12. Jonathan says:

Jon Cryer? Really?

13. shlee says:

LOL about jon cryer. and how angst-ridden is Lena Dunham right now?

14. Gilda says:

Not the season I was expecting Jon Cryer to win. But good for him.

15. Kara says:

Should have been Jim Parsons!

16. Mina says:

“Don’t panic people. Something has gone terribly wrong.” Indeed it has.

• Angela says:

That, along with Jon’s line about how predictable the awards are, pretty much seem to sum up the entire evening pretty succinctly, don’t they?

17. Allyson says:

The only winner so far not happy about is Amazing Race winning again! Seriously that category is becomming predictable! Honestly they shouldn’t brother giving nonminations out to other shows if they are just going to take the Emmy home year after year! Perhaps reality tv cateorgy shouldn’t even be on the live tv ceremony.

I love Modern Family and the entire cast!

• Suz says:

All other ‘reality’ TV is cr*p. AR has compelling stories, challenges and exploration of the world, not the materialistic/fake BS. Plus Phil is the type of guy who everyone would be friends with and we love him!

• David P. Graf says:

I quit the Amazing Race a long time ago when a plane got somehow pulled back to the terminal so that a couple that eventually won could get on the flight. After that, the AR became for me just another scripted reality show where the producers played “god” with the results.

18. ollie says:

oh come on old foggeys cat should have won

19. Stephanie says:

Congrats to Tom for winning Reality Host, now he has a primetime Emmy to go with his daytime one! Been a fan since he hosted Hollywood Squares

20. Olivia says:

AARON PAUL <3 Yessss :)

21. shlee says:

Emmys, why you be snubbing the Lannisters and True Blood?

22. jleacole says:

That’s great about Kathy Bates…I don’t watch the show but I’m sure she could use all the happy news she can get this month and the months to follow. WE LOVE YOU KATHY BATES!

23. Jane says:

Love and am happy for Aaron Paul, but I would have given it to Peter Dinklage. Tyrion FTW!

24. jen says:

TOM BERGERON? ARE YOU KIDDING???

25. callie says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!

26. ollie says:

omg tracy morgen passed out on stage lol

27. jenn says:

Dame Maggie Smith deserves it!

28. AGM says:

I think I could have skipped the whole first half hour because none of the comedy awards meant anything to me [insert obligatory indignant Community-supporting comment here].

Oh and Christina Hendricks was robbed. I love Maggie Smith, but she has like 5 funny lines; that’s not enough for best supporting actress in a drama.

29. Britta Unfiltered says:

Does anyone else want to hide in the back of their dark closet and cry over the fact Jon Cryer beat Louis C.K.?

30. Kevin says:

Judas Priest on a pony Jon Freaking Cryer what the ok I am shocked

31. Jonathan says:

Damien Lewis!! For the upset!!

32. Hmm Damien lewis for the win

33. Jane says:

Yes! Damian Lewis! Love you Hamm, but Damian deserved that one.

34. Britta Unfiltered says:

Damien Lewis??? Oh, these are not going how I expected them to go at all. I love Homeland though. I don’t know how to feel about this. I’m thrilled for Damien, but why didn’t they go for Cranston?

• erin says:

I’m guessing just because he’s won it three times? I thought Damian stood a shot, but didn’t know if he’d be able to take down the Cranston.

• kate says:

i am just finding it absurd that of alll seasons to not give the emmy to bryan cranston, they picked this one. season 4 was, by 400 miles, his best work on this show. it’s crazy to me.

i do, however, think it’s hilarious that jon hamm still can’t win even when cranston doesn’t.

• Debbie says:

I agree with this post.. I do love homeland and Lewis was very good, but this is his first season and Cranston was soooo good! I wonder what episode they submitted to be judged because after seeing both shows, Every episode Cranston was just a joy to watch as he is that good. Still, as much as I love BB and Homeland, I was very disappointed that Timothy Olyphant did not get a nod for Justified. Jermery Davis (winner for Justified in guest spot), after seeing him at the live show, Dickie isn’t that much of a stretch.

35. AGM says:

I’ve never seen Homeland, so I can’t judge, but I feel really bad for Jon Hamm. Plus, Damien Lewis still creeps me out from being the creepiest man ever in the Forsyte Saga.

36. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m starting to think Homeland might really take best series tonight. It was my original pick. Best actor, actress, and writing wins in its pocket certainly gives it an edge.

37. rochelle says:

Im just waiting on lead actor in a mini series. Im biting my nails.

38. CJ says:

Cranston and Poehler = ROBBED

39. AGM says:

If Sherlock doesn’t win anything, I’m going to…..well, I guess I’m just going to keep on watching better television that doesn’t get Emmy recognition.

• Tallulah says:

This. Tonight I decided I am pathologically addicted to shows that never get recognised. At least Sherlock got a lot of noms.

40. tvaddict says:

Jonathan from Buffy won an emmy for writing!

41. Britta Unfiltered says:

Kevin Costner beats Benedict Cumberbatch???? I call bullsh*t. That’s another award that makes me want to hide in a dark closet and cry.

42. samaxe794 says:

Homeland better not beat Breaking Bad for best drama. But then again they gave Emmys to JLD and John Cryer. SIGH.

43. samaxe794 says:

Game Change sucked. Too bad they give out Emmys o try to make a political statement instead of merit.

44. kate says:

am I the only one who feels that modern family isn’t as funny as it used to be and keeps winning emmys based on reputation alone?

• OMG says:

Definitely not good as before, but still well done and one of my favourites. I feel that it is getting unnecessary backlash simply because it won some Emmys. Now everyone is saying that Modern Family is crap even though it is far from crap. It deserves those awards.

• Charli says:

Sorry, I’m one of those people who doesn’t find it that hilarious. My husband absolutely loves it, I think there are better, funnier shows. The first two seasons were pretty funny(especially the first) but I think the show was a caricature of itself last season. There were way too many episodes I watched and never laughed.

That’s why I think something needs to change in the voting system. If you look at the last ten years of the Emmy’s many of the winners each year are repeats from the year(or two) before. Before the last ten at least things would be shaken up each year here and there. Some would be repeat winners but that would be because they really deserved it.

To me the worst part of the last couple years is the nominating of the whole entire adult cast. I think that needs to be stopped. There’s no reason that all four male actors should take up the whole supporting actor category. Pick two. Let the guys draw straws before submitting a reel. But all four every year? That’s asinine. And even my husband the big fan of the show agreed last year. I’m sorry but there are actors out there who were far more deserving for a shot in that category(pick any male actor from Parks & Rec.That show was amazing last year). And honestly, I think the kids on Modern Family are funnier then Julie Bowen & Sofia Vergara put together.

And bah to Amy Poehler losing. That just makes me sad. Everything she does is hilarious. Her improv(or maybe not so) pieces at each Emmy show alone are funnier then most actresses work.

45. Terry says:

Very disappointed in the show as a whole. Skits were not funny at all. Why do they run all that excess stuff in the beginning of the show, such as comments from directors and writers that are supposed to be funny, knowing that if the show runs long, the winners you want to hear from will be cut short? Either make the show longer or cut out some of the tired comedy bits!

46. Tiff says:

And, of course, the only Brit to get recognition is Maggie Smith. Forget the brilliant performances of Benedict Cumberbatch (seriously, KEVIN COSTNER won over him? Whatevs), Martin Freeman, Joanne Froggatt, John Coyle, Jim Carter, Michelle Dockery, and others.

I’m not saying Brit TV is better – but in a lot of ways, the actors were better on Downton Abbey and Sherlock than anything the US has produced lately.

That said, Damian Lewis over Jon Hamm? Really? I mean, I like him in Homeland, but Jon’s performance is WAY more nuanced and interesting.

47. Dee says:

They EMMYs show just keeps getting worse and worse. All these cable dramas are niche shows with huge budgets and a small number of episodes each season. They are high quality but they belong in the mini-series category. Put the EMMYs on HBO or another pay cable network from now on. This year’s awards were extremely boring.

• Jay says:

Absolutely! Half the country doesn’t even have cable, so how can they even see these things? There are lots of good shows on the networks that deserve a chance.