HBO's Treme Renewed for a Shortened Fourth and Final Season, Series Creators Announce

HBO’s Treme, which premieres Season 3 this Sunday at 10/9c, has been renewed for a fourth and final season, series co-creator David Simon announced at a Saturday screening at the Joy Theater in New Orleans.

VIDEO | Watch a Teaser for Treme Season 3

Simon and co-creator Eric Overmyer had revealed last October their decision/hope to have Treme run a total of four seasons, says the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which first reported on the Season 4 news.

The final season, however, will not run as long as previous ones. “HBO, upon viewing the 10 [Season 3 episodes] that we gave them [said] they want to see the end of the story,” Simon said at the Saturday screening. “They fought very hard to give us half a loaf. We’re going to take it and run.”

UPDATE: Simon tells HitFix.com the episode count is TBD, based on how far they can stretch the “lump sum” given them by HBO, but he’s guessing “four to six” hours.

RELATED | The Sopranos‘ James Gandolfini to Seek Criminal Justice as Star of HBO Pilot

Though the cast is not contractually obligated to return for the shortened swan-song season, after being approached by producers, “To a person, they all came back,” Simon reported. “We’re happy for a chance to finish the story on our own terms.”

1. Colleen says:

bittersweet – sad to hear there’s an end, but considering there’s about 12 of us watching it (who aren’t tv critics) I’m so happy to hear they get a chance to end the story on their terms.

• JudyVee says:

Bittersweet, exactly. One of the best shows on television ~ I’m sad to know it’s ending, but thrilled we got as much of it as we did considering it didn’t attract a crowd. Isn’t it following Boardwalk Empire this year? I was hoping that might help it get a bump in viewers. Well, I’m a glass-is-half-full kind of person so I’m happy we’re getting a 4th season – hell, I was thrilled we got a third!

2. Superhero says:

How many episodes are we talking about here? I don’t love the show, but I’m glad they’re getting a chance to see it through, and I’ll gladly watch anything that Simon produces; he’s earned a lifetime pass with The Wire.

3. Rrrrrr says:

So like… how many episodes tho? Is it only 5?

4. ben says:

My guess is that there will be 6. I think ‘half a loaf’ makes me think ‘half a dozen’. But it would be nice to see slightly more (7 or 8)

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

Fantastic news! I admit I wasn’t holding my breath for a season 4. They always get snubbed at the Emmys and as Colleen said above, there’s probably only about 12 of us watching. That didn’t bode well for any kind of a renewal. I just felt lucky we were getting a season 3. It’s such a good show, but I’m afraid most people don’t have the patience to stick with a true character study.

6. TeresaBs15 says:

shorter???? :((((((

7. Shawn Piette says:

what an awful,boring,truly horrible show.surprised
    and shocked it lasted past season 1 tbh

8. Cher says:

Cannot wait for season 3 to begin, and very happy to know they are going to have a chance to finish the series. Cannot imagine anyone watching this show and finding it boring. I have never been to New Orleans and did not know much about the culture, but I’ve thorougly enjoyed learning about it by watching this show. In my opinion, some of the actors on this show are very deserving of Emmy recognition, other cable shows are raking in the nominations, why has Treme basically been ignored?

• Janet says:

That Treme has basically been ignored by the Emmys mystifies me too. It is unique and authentic in its portrayal of a slice of New Orleans culture (I’m a N O native). And the music is outstanding too.

9. Trella Harris says:

I have been a FAITHFUL Tremé follower!!..I live in “The Boot”, (Louisiana), to those who don’t know!..I simply CANNOT believe they are cancelling this show!..THERE’S “NEVER” BEEN A SHOW NOR MOVIE THAT ACCURATELY DEPICTS THE TRUE ESSENCE OF NEW ORLEANS!!..and now that there is one, they only want to give it 4 seasons?!..(I’m sure if it was about the drug infested parts, “the people who can’t get above $8 an hr parts, or simply the “best places to eat while on vacation” parts, it would surpass their expectations!!!..but because its about THE REALITY of how hard life is since Katrina, how the TRULY BAD COPS are now WORSE, and how basically “they” have stolen homes, forced people into homelessness (all the while complaining about the quantity of homeless people), W/OUT OFFERING A HAND UP (& COMPLAINING BEFORE & DURING THE SAD EXCUSES FOR “HANDOUTS” THEY’RE ISSUING) its not worth investing into?!!?..well on.behalf of those of us STRUGGLING to see better days, let me 1st say, NONE OF US ARE IMPOVERISHED OR “JUST WAITING ON A CHECK & FOOD STAMPS”, because we want to be here!!..2ndly, this show may not ALWAYS result in “Triumph over Tragedy”, BUT IT ALWAYS GIVES OFF HOPE, ENCOURAGEMENT, MUSIC TO LIFT EVEN THE HEAVIEST OF SOULS & TEACHES THAT FAMILY BONDS (NO MATTER THE “WEATHER”), CANNOT BE BROKEN!!!..3rdly & finally, DESPITE the fact that the show seems to be cancelling, THANK YOU for @ least giving it a chance!!
    To the FAITHFUL FEW of us that watch it & reads this in its entirety, ONE DAY, I’ll be able to bring this show back!!..I can’t rub two nickels together right now, lol, BUT GOD………. :)

10. Music Diva says:

Love the show,why is HBO taking2 of the best shows off? Treme and How ToMake It In America? Really get into the shows and characters,then bam no more show :-( wish they could have lasted a little longer! Great writers Great actors,you will be missed!!!!

11. Waynetta says:

I LOVED Treme!! I’m glad they are bringing it back! They always cancel the good shows, I.e., Carnivale and Deadwood!

12. Sue says:

We just discovered Treme. Thank goodness we have a DVR and did some bing watching…wow the music, story line, and the authenticity loved it and sorry it ended!