Grade NBC’s Thursday Comedy Premieres!

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

After a long summer away, NBC came back in (almost) full comedy force tonight with the season premieres of Up All Night, The Office and Parks and Recreation. (30 Rock, which rounds out the yuk-filled evening, returns Oct. 4.)

We certainly laughed our boo-honeys off, but we want to hear what you thought of the night’s fare. So here’s the deal: Cruise through the mini-recaps below, give each comedy a grade via poll and then hit the comments to expand your thoughts. Did anything make you actually LOL? How do you feel about the seasons ahead? Let’s hear it!

Up All Night

WHAT’S NEW | Chris and Reagan, who were just starting to get their work/family balance in control at the end of last season, were thrown again when The Ava Show was cancelled. Speaking of freaking, Ava had a hard time with the change, too. And little Amy is a full-fledged toddler!

WHO’S NEW | Reagan hired her slacker brother Scott (played by Luka Jones) to help fix up a bathroom.

BIG LAUGH | A wigged-out Reagan’s response to her daughter happily woo-hooing to herself: “Okay, obviously the tension in this room is giving Amy baby Tourette’s!”

The Office

WHAT’S NEW | Outward Bound leadership training is supposed to help people get perspective, but it did the opposite to Andy by focusing him on taking down Nellie. Kevin saved a turtle.

WHO’S NEW | Clark Duke and Jake Lacy made their first appearances as new employees, and the Dunder Mifflinites quickly bestowed them with the nicknames “new Jim” and “Dwight Jr.” Halpert and Schrute were unamused.

BIG LAUGH | Dwight’s awkward, vending machine-side conversation with one of the newbies: “Humor. I have it, too.”

Parks and Recreation Amy Poehler Chris Pratt Season 5Parks and Recreation

WHAT’S NEW | Leslie and Andy hightailed it to Washington, D.C. to visit their better halves. While it was a happy reunion for one couple (the handsy April and Andy), Leslie found herself feeling less-than-significant when immersed in Ben’s big-time-politics lifestyle. Elsewhere, it was revealed that Tom and Ann chose to not make a go at a real romance.

WHO’S NEW | No newbies to note, just the same ol’ Pawnee denizens you know and love. U.S. Senators Barbara Boxer, John McCain and Olympia Snowe did, however, make hilarious — and surprisingly well-acted — cameos.

BIG LAUGH  An overly enthusiastic Leslie on the fabulous time she’s having in D.C.: “Romantic reunion! Government meetings! Self-guided museum tours! I mean, am I living the dream? I dunno. Did I also just walk past a food truck and buy myself a waffle sundae? Yes!”

Comments (41)

• What has happened to Will Arnett? He lost so much weight; and, his hair is looking so ridiculous

Comment by Jaime – September 20, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • must be the divorce.

Comment by A – September 20, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amy Poehler looked thinner too.

Comment by samaxe794 – September 20, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Amy Poehler looks amazing lately! She’s a bit thinner, has a great hair color going on, she looks so young and fresh!

Comment by Ava – September 21, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. It’s the hair! It was so bleached to high hell before, it was painful to look at. It’s now a much softer and warmer shade for her.

Comment by tripoli – September 21, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i gotta say, i like him with a little more meat on him.

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 20, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was the first thing I noticed when the show started, it was distracting how bad he looked. Amy Poehler looked great on her show.

Comment by RKar – September 21, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The absence of Community…it hurts me. My whole brain is crying.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 20, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Srsly. Why are you doing this to us NBC?!?

Comment by Julie – September 20, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t worry. Community will be coming on Tuesday or Wednesday nights shortly, once Guys With Kids/Animal Practice/The New Normal flops.

Most likely Guys With Kids.

Comment by Sg. Grant – September 20, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have a feeling the first show that will be cancelled is Animal Practice.

Comment by Ann – September 21, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Guys with Kids!

Comment by KevyB – September 21, 2012 11:53 PM PDT
    • I know the Friday Night Death Slot, the later premiere date and the reduced episode order sucks, but we should count our blessings. It’s a miracle the show was even renewed at all. 13 episodes>No episodes at all.

Comment by Dean – September 20, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. It’s weird.

Comment by Angela – September 20, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F for not having Community on

Comment by ggny – September 20, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes that sucks. Another great show deserving of another chance. Moving it to Friday? Bad move. A 13 ep order? Bad move, but fitting for something delegated to a Friday. Since it should never have been moved there, my thoughts would be to take it from there immediately. Left there it will die. It would have been kinder to kill it at Thursday than to make it suffer a slow death on Friday. So, take it away from Friday, Now. Condense the long, overly drawn-out final Office season to 13 episodes, justice could be done to all remaining characters and for fans with that. Then give Community the Office’s timeslot on Thursday for the remainder of the tv season and from then on permanently. It has to be better than anything the peacock (not deserving of a capital “P”) is thinking of replacing the Office with next fall. Trying to be on topic though, I did love the Office tonight (but it will be one loooong season so can’t say I will stay with it).

Comment by april-ann – September 20, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andy wanting to go to the National Mall because he needed some new flip flops was great. Ron and his barbecue was awesome as well.

Comment by samaxe794 – September 20, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ron effing Swanson

Comment by Shiva – September 20, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office was spectacular and so was P&R! Aziz and Rashida were on top of their game, and all of this Jim stuff is making me nervous as hell! Can’t wait to see how the end of the office turns out. Lets pray for a Michael Scott return!

Comment by Bob – September 20, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the rate Go On is currently going, I’m sure it’ll be the one to replace the office in that timeslot. As for Community I’m sure NBC and Sony will strike a deal for more episodes so it can reach 88 episodes for syndication

Comment by Ram510 – September 20, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True dat. Go On is a good show but IMO would not be quite as good a fit with Up All Night and Parks and Rec as is Community. Maybe they could both be on Thurs. because isn’t 30 Rock ending as well? But alas, once that Friday move decision was made, I think we all know by now what that really means.

Comment by april-ann – September 21, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All these shows need to go away and bring Community back on Thrusdays.

Comment by Ant – September 20, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dwight on the slack line was the greatest.

Comment by erin – September 20, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks was SO good, then again, when is it no? I’m just glad it’s back in my life

Comment by Maris – September 20, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when is it *not

Comment by Maris – September 20, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t feel right without Community being there. Parks & Rec was phenom though.

Comment by LC – September 20, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Arnett looks like an anorexic Guido. Not a good look for him.
    Didn’t really like the Up Al Night reboot. That assistant, Missy, has been written out of the show without an explanation, and the brother is such a bland character.

Watched The Office for the first time since last year’s premiere, and I’ve gotta say it exceeded my expectations. Wasn’t great, but still watchable. The two new guys are actually kinda good. Loved the Jim & Jim Junior interaction: “- Any team sports? – NASCAR. The Amazing Race?”

Parks & Rec – amazing, business as usual.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 20, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have tried watching the Office several times and can’t c the humor in it at all. Actually thought it was pretty stupid and made me wonder how in the world it got so many awards.

Comment by Jane – September 20, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 30 Rock comes back in 2 weeks, not next week.

Comment by Dw – September 20, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t know the premiere of Up All Night was tonight. Way to market your product NBC. Hopefully they’ll repeat it.

Comment by Julio – September 21, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, I had no idea these sitcoms were new on NBC last night.

Comment by tara – September 21, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office was 100 times better last night!!! Last season just wasn’t up to par…I am hoping they go out on a high note :) Parks was, and is always, totally awesome!!!! Show some Emmy love this weekend for Parks, this show rocks Thursday nights – now as soon as Community comes back all will be right with the world…

Comment by Aryn – September 21, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a former die hard Office fan who deleted more episodes off the DVR than I watched last season, I actually kind of dug the season premiere. I hope it continues to be this much better!

Comment by andjuliesaid – September 21, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation sucks, it is not funny. There is something wrong with you people

Comment by Sabrina Vick – September 21, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or maybe there’s something wrong with you? Look, comedy is subjective. It’s fine if you don’t like Parks & Rec, but that doesn’t mean it sucks and doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with those of us who appreciate it.

Comment by AlyB – September 21, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if there is something wrong with me for loving parks&rec, they should make a drug that infects others as well :)

Comment by wi – September 21, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone see the ratings, won’t be long i think before they move one of their new comedies to Thursday, maybe Go On and put it at 9 if it continues to hold up.

I mean the only one of their Thursday comedies that has a chance of coming back in 2013/2014 is Parks and Recreation, The Office and 30 Rock already announced these as each of their last seasons and with numbers like that for a premiere no less, Up All Night can’t be further behind.

Comment by Martin – September 21, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so what’s funny if parks and recreation isn’t……. GLEE??
    >XD

Comment by DESSY – September 21, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah I worried about Will too. He looks really skinny, I hope he’s feeling just fine!!!
    I’m still in denial about his divorce

Comment by L. – September 21, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Recreation was awesome as usual. “Twinkle, twinkle Big Star.” The Office was ok. I am not sure I like the direction they are taking Jim and Pam though I think they will end up happily in Philly returning to normal society after becoming crazy in the Dunder-Mifflin vacuum.

Comment by Amy – September 21, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post