The Voice Recap: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

collin mcloughlin the voiceSay what you want about The Voice, but its pacing in Season 3 is proving far less predictable than in prior installments — from can’t-lose “inspirational” contestants failing to turn a single judge’s chair, right down to host Carson Daly dropping candid bombshells like “the coaches don’t always get it right.”

With so much truthiness in the air, it’s only a matter of time before the National Enquirer starts blaring headlines about a “Carson-Blake Backstage Blowup,” no?

(Seriously, though, who could get mad at Carson and his empathy for the contestants as he partakes in the agonizing wait backstage with their families? And who among us hasn’t occasionally wanted to yell something like, “COME ON, CHRISTINA, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!”?)

Good thing for us, we know it’s really about the contestants, so let’s get down to the business of ranking the four latest singers headed to the Battle Rounds — and then rank them again alongside the other successful auditioners from the first four nights of Blind Auditions.

4) Joselyn Rivera’s “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” (Team Xtina) | I’ll admit I was impressed by the way Joselyn held out that “Stronger” on the final chorus, but most of what came before it sounded like a pale carbon copy of a pale carbon copy of Kelly Clarkson. Best part of the audition was Xtina not realizing Blake had turned his chair around, and her subsequent shocked response when she realized Joselyn wasn’t an automatic add to her team.

3) Collin McLoughlin’s “Wild World” (Team Adam) | Call me Cranky McOldfashionedpants, but I have to agree with Collin’s mom: If you’ve only got a year left on your Master’s degree, you finish it! (Sorry, had to get that off my chest.) That aside, Collin certainly displayed a pleasing tone and solid control on one of the better song choices we’ve heard in the Battle Rounds, even if I had to agree with Xtina that his approach was perhaps a bit too mellow. (Side note: Has any contestant gotten sweatier than Colin this season? Also: Would you agree with Blake that Collin “screwed the pooch” by choosing Adam over him? Mr. Shelton may be right.)

2) Benji’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” (Team Adam) | Former racecar driver reminded me a little (vocally) of Roger Daltrey, and Adam was right that he showed a suprising amount of dynamics in a 90-second performance. He’ll need to scale back just a bit on how many liberties he takes with a melody, but there’s no doubt Benji With No Last Name could be a serious Season 3 contender.

1) Mycle Wastman’s “Let’s Stay Together” (Team Cee Lo) | This soft-spoken 40-year-old showed amazing composure considering he’d just lost the grandfather who raised him less than two weeks before his audition. Mycle’s buttery delivery and excellent falsetto had Cee Lo chanting “Let me love you!” till the contestant finally relented, but here’s hoping the crazy dude in the white silk pajamas starts the coaching process by burning Mycle’s unfortunate oversized hat.

OVERALL SEASON 3 STANDINGS*
30) Casey Muessigman’s “Sweet Home Alabama” (Team Blake)
29) Joe Kirkland’s “Gives You Hell” (Team Adam)
28) Daniel Rosa’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” (Team Cee Lo)
27) Julio Caesar Castillo’s “La Bamba” (Team Blake)
26) JR Aquino’s “Just the Way You Are” (Team Cee Lo)
25) Samuel Mouton’s “Redemption Song” (Team Adam)
24) 2Steel Girls’ “Before He Cheats” (Team Blake)
23) Devyn Deloera’s “Ain’t No Other Man” (Team Xtina)
22) Nelly’s Echo’s “Ain’t No Sunshine” (Team Xtina)
21) Joselyn Rivera’s “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” (Team Xtina)
20) Alessandra Guerico’s “The Climb” (Team Adam)
19) Beat Frequency’s “E.T.” (Team Xtina)
18) Collin McLoughlin’s “Wild World” (Team Adam)
17) Aquile’s “Your Song (Team Xtina)
16) Brian Scartocci’s “Isn’t She Lovely” (Team Adam)
15) Mackenzie Bourg’s “Pumped Up Kicks” (Team Cee Lo)
14) Trevin Hunte’s “Listen” (Team Cee Lo)
13) Avery Wilson’s “Without You” (Team Cee Lo)
12) Nicholas David’s “Stand By Me” (Team Cee Lo)
11) Benji’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” (Team Adam)
10) Liz Davis’ “Here for the Party” (Team Blake)
9) Mycle Wastman’s “Let’s Stay Together” (Team Cee Lo)
8) Adriana Louise’s “Domino” (Team Xtina)
7) Terry McDermott’s “Baba O’Riley” (Team Blake)
6) DOMO’s “Don’t Cha” (Team Cee Lo)
5) Gracia Harrison’s “I Want to Be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart” (Team Blake)
4) Melanie Martinez’s “Toxic” (Team Adam)
3) Bryan Keith’s “It Will Rain” (Team Adam)
2) De’Borah’s “Hey Soul Sister” (Team Xtina)
1) Nicole Nelson’s “Hallelujah” (Team Adam)

*Does not include singers whose auditions were shown only as brief snippets

Who were your favorites from The Voice‘s fifth episode of Season 3? Were there any moments where you thought the judges were in error? (I know she was a little wobbly on the verse, but I rather liked overenthusiastic vocal coach Lorraine Ferro.) And where the heck are they hiding Christina Millian? (Not that I’m complaining.) Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Marianne says:

I liked Michael until I just found out his name is spelled M-y-c-l-e. Puh-leeze?! Just kidding – I still like him. (but ….puh-leeze)

2. Snsetblaze says:

I have to agree with the rankings today. And I did sort of like the vocal coach. I had just been wondering where the older contestants were (up to that point, I don’t think we saw one over 35). It was a bad song though.

Also with regard to Colin, I thought his comment that he was the first in his family to go to school for MASTER’S degree was pretty funny. Didn’t it used to be “college” degree? B being the first in your family to go for or get a college degree is still way more impressive than being the first in your family to go for/get a Master’s degree.

3. the real wendy says:

Mr. Slezak… If they are on the same team, #30 Casey Muessigman is going to slay that heinous pretender DOMO in the battle round. The only real problem with your list.

4. Sherry says:

Michael I watched first night of The Voice but couldn’t tune in on Monday night for more than 5 min. It was so boring. It’s predictable and judges already seem to know who they should turn around for and who not to. I have yet to see on truly talented singer this season and that is the 18 yr old young man who sang last. All these singing reality shows are still more about promoting judges careers than finding true talent. The entire focus on the show is on judges. Not one winner has gone on to have any success on either the Voice or XF. AI winners except for two have been dropped or will be dropped any day. AI keeps steering audience toward boring WGWG and viewers are tired of it. I cannot watch any of these shows all too phony with bells and whistles to try and keep viewers watching instead it’s going to keep turning off people.

5. davey says:

Does anyone know how the steal is going to work — allowing coaches to take contestants from each other’s teams? I do think the batch this fall is more promising than last spring’s.

6. Lorena says:

that was awesome, im with Melinda about Domo

7. It's the climb says:

I don’t know how I’m supposed to generate interest in 30 unknowns, half of which will be gone in a month.

But I think The Voice has the best combination of judges/mentors of any of these shows. They seem to like what they are doing.

8. rachelleet says:

I can’t believe all the people that have turned down Blake. Honestly, if it were me (and it wouldn’t be, because I can’t sing a note), I would pick Blake because part of the reason he won last year was that Jermaine Paul was the CLEAR winner on his team. Paul def had the strategy down: get on the team with the worst competition and get to the finale. He obviously had the talent and knew what he was doing. I dunno, maybe I just love winning.

• dan says:

The problem with your theory is that the contestants may not know who has been selected for each team. Also, the auditions are not shown in the order they are taped so Jermain Paul may have been one of the first to audition or he may have been at the end of the group, but there is no way of knowing if he was told who was already on each team. With that said, I also can’t believe that nobody selected Blake. The Masters’ Dgr drop-out guy should’ve gone w/Blake. And somebody should have turned around for the single mom who sang first (the Whitney Houston song). She definitely could’ve been coached to be a contender and she had a much stronger voice than some of the teenagers they’ve selected.

• samaxe794 says:

Clicked on this article just to make that point. They reject someone over choosing to sing a Whitney song because it was perfect, and then slam on their buttons for some kids with an awkward voice who sings one note in the first three seconds. I think they can clearly tell when it’s an older singer because less chairs turn.

9. MEL31602 says:

Agree with Dan that the woman who did the Whitney song should have been picked. She was a bit off at times but the great moments were so great that she deserved another shot. I would flip Collin and Benji in your rankings from last night though really the only one of the four I didn’t like was the teenager.

Also, did anyone else watch the promos for next week? That woman who sings the Adele songs sounds AMAZING.

10. forwarddad says:

Can’t stand Liz the country singer. Seems a bit affected. I do agree about Mycle hat. What was he thinking. It was such a distraction from his singing. And why was he wearing it like a ball cap?

11. Trent says:

First of all, Cee Lo was a hoot last night. Between “LET ME LOVE YOU!” and his tiny feet pumping away to Mycle’s audition, he had both me and his fellow coaches laughing hysterically. Blake was hilarious as well. And Xtina has been so relaxed, sweet and funny this year compared to her frequently snide comments last season. Not sure what happened, but I love her this year.

Among the contestants, my faves were definitely Benji and Mycle. Benji had a wonderfully rich tone, but Mycle’s range (especially the falsetto) were just terrific. Michael, I mostly agree with your season’s rankings so far, but there is no way that Benji, Mycle or the FANTASTIC Trevin Hunte should be ranked below Dreadful DOMO. Please put this list to a vote!

12. Lois Benton says:

It’s hard to believe the Whitney lady didn’t make the cut, but the “Stronger” kid did.

13. Lois Benton says:

Michael, D to the O to the M to the O is more obnoxious than talented. Unless she really shows some serious and surprising talent, no red-blooded, TV-addicted, reality-talent-show-watching, judgmental American will ever vote for her. And why all that love for your number 1 when she’s seems so obviously bottom half of the class material? I see that level of talent at annual community shows. Liz Davis and Alessandra clearly have strong vocals, but little originality and they are otherwise fairly generic. You are too generous to them, while clearly Joe Kirkland irks you in some undefinable way. Sure, he’s not one of the best, but he’s not one of the worst, either. You put the poor guy behind poor Daniel Rosa, who is not ready for all this, at all. His voice has a fairly nice tone, but everything else about his voice needs lots of work. And that Joselyn Rivera got picked is wild; she was pretty bad. Your placement of her is way too generous as well.

14. JoMarch says:

I guess Jocelyn sounded better in person. I was cringing listening to her. I think my ears started to bleen.

15. I hope we don’t have to see/hear too much of DOMO this season, totally obnoxious! Not agreeing with your list that much. I would have put 2SteelGirls @ #30 and DOMO just above them. But I still love ya!

16. sandra says:

I wish they would have turned for Lorraine Ferro She was fun and I think she had the wrong song but could see she could sing. Having an older person on the show would be a refreshing change. It would be inspirational to all the over 40 people who watch the show and there are allot of them

17. Hey – Lorraine here – thanks for the kind words about me in this article and my friend Yolanda in the episode 7 article! I still feel blessed to have been chosen to be on that stage, and I’m hoping to audition again! It’s an amazing show and process. I know I seemed “over the top” to put it lightly, but it was truly a dream come true…so much work went into it, and not just singing…I had been so singleminded about it for almost a year, and to have it actually happen was overwhelming. I thank God for it!