Emmys

Emmys 2012: TVLine Readers' Picks for 'Who Should Win' in 31 Categories!

The 2012 Emmy Awards are only a few days away, and while we have faith that the members of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences take their voting duties quite seriously, that doesn’t necessarily mean they always get things right.

That’s why last month, we posted a series of polls asking TVLine readers which of this year’s Emmy nominees really deserve a trip to the podium. Below, you’ll find the results of tens of thousands of ballots cast, with the spoils going to an eclectic group of front-runners (hello, Claire Danes) and underdogs (let’s hear it for Cat Deeley).

View the gallery, then hit the comments with your picks for the Emmys (airing on ABC Sunday at 8/7c).

1. JBS says:

Except for Community winning the emmy for best writing for a comedy series, I like this list, especially all the love for The Big Bang Theory & New Girl.

2. Karen says:

In total agreement with 2/3 of this list – ESPECIALLY the Community love! If only this turns out to be the same result we actually end up getting (which it won’t for about 2/3 of our choices). I can tell you this much:I won’t be this exited by the results on Emmy night

3. Tom Charles says:

Nice, the Office Clone Modern Family got no love, let’s hope that becomes a reality on Sunday. It’s reassuring to see that people are finally starting to realize that while yes it is good, there’s better stuff out there than it

• Russ says:

I wish. But Modern Family will sadly win, personally I think all these picks were spot on. MF is getting kinda repetitive for me.

4. Community for the win ! SixSeasonsAndAmovie

5. Alexis says:

Sure Tyrion is a great character but I really couldn’t identify one scene or episode that really showcased Peter Dinklage this season of GoT.

• Well, the scene at the end of the season where he’s lamenting his massive facial wound while simultaneously having an identity crisis about how he likes being clever and scheming enough to outwit his own family looks like a big Emmy bait scene. Still, both Giancarlo Esposito and Aaron Paul deserve to win over him this year. But like Snoop said, “Deserve got nothin to do with it.”

• Alexis says:

TigerNightmare: That is the most epically beautiful reply to a comment I’ve ever seen on TVLine, right down to The Wire reference!
        While I get what you’re saying about Dinklage’s performance after Blackwater – it’s perhaps unfortunate that it was the Blackwater ep he chose to submit, probably because of that big rousing foul-mouthed speech he gives the troops.

6. M says:

Yay! more love for Community!

7. Aryn says:

Agree with 3/4’s of those above picks. Yes, Amy Pohler so deserves the win on Parks n Rec…that show rocks!!! Fingers crossed Community gets that win too :) Really, Penguins of Madagascar, really???

8. kate says:

seriously? if aaron paul or giancarlo esposito doesn’t win for supporting actor i will be on the warpath.

9. Robin says:

I really want Benedict Cumberbatch to win best actor in a mini series but I do think PBS lack of pr will mean he wont. If Sherlock had gone with HBO there would have been a greater chance.

10. rachelleet says:

I am actually really disappointed Dot Marie Jones didn’t win for Glee (c’mon Kathy Bates for Two and a Half Men?! BAHHHHH).

• Aprilcot says:

Agreed…I love me some Kathy Bates, but really?

• Well, her performance was good, but did she you make you laugh? Comedy on Glee that actually works is incredibly rare. This happens to be a category where I’ve actually witnessed every performance for this year and I have to say that Margaret Cho as Kim Jong-il was probably the funniest of the five. There’s probably more worthy performances on a cable show somewhere that we’re all overlooking that should have been nominated instead.

11. Good thing Claire Danes is going to win on Sunday :)

12. A says:

There shouldn’t even be a competition for supporting actor. Just give it to Aaron Paul already. Peter Dinklage isn’t far behind him though. Too much Big Bang Theory and New Girl (seriously?), but I do think Mayim Bialik deserves a mention.

13. murley says:

i would love to see sherlock sweep in the miniseries category as voted here. both guys deserve to take home a statue!

14. Zoe says:

Wait- the Emmy for best animated series went to- THE PENGUINS OF MADAGASCAR?!

…Nick must’ve bribed them. There’s no other way. That show is terrible.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I think you neglected to put who really won best costumes for a series on the slides. I believe it went to Game of Thrones, my personal dream pick for that category. So who are all these people voting against Louis C.K. for actor and director, and may I slap them? I think only a few of these picks are actually going to happen, notably Daily Show, Cranston, Lange, and Danes, MAYBE Christina Hendricks and Benedict Cumberbatch, and Homeland for writing, But probably not. I do think Parsons takes it, unfortunately. I hope to god I’m wrong on that and Louis wins instead. But seriously, those who voted for the New Girl pilot over Louis C.K.’s Duckling episode for direction…Just consider yourself slapped with a “how dare you, sir or madam.”

16. Trish Cohen says:

I hope Downton Abbey sweeps! Great writing, great acting and so classy.

17. Nahuel says:

I’m so sick of the Emmys and their favourite shows. Breaking Bad ALL THE TIME?? There is no good show other than that one??? They pick shows for 5 years and those are the only ones nominated or awarded. Breaking Bad and Mad Men are the only ones. They had 30 Rock but nw they switched for Modern Family. I’m not saying those shows are bad ones; I just don’t think that they’re ALWAYS the ones to get these awards.

• Breaking Bad wasn’t even eligible last year and if you think that season 4 wasn’t award-worthy, please bury your face in some fat guy’s armpit. Or watch the show and see what all the fuss is about.

• Alexis says:

Spoken like someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Breaking Bad has only ever won Emmys for Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul – the writers and Vince Gilligan are WAY overdue.

18. L. says:

what? last time I checked the polls people wanted Wiig to win!! -_-‘

19. Harley says:

Fingers crossed for a Sherlock sweep. Especially for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freemen. They are fantastic!

20. nick1372 says:

Wow. I agree with… three?

Yay for Claire Danes, Homeland, and Jim Parsons. But TBBT shouldn’t have won. Modern Family is much better material.

21. Really? Connie Britton? She was good, okay, but she wasn’t better than Julianne Moore. (And honestly, American Horror Story is not really a mini series, IMO. But that has already been discussed a lot.)
    Other than that, I agree with most of the picks. I hope Claire Danes and Christina Hendricks will actually win. And as for Best Drama Series, I wouldn’t mind Homeland taking home the statuette.

22. Thomas says:

I’m shocked that Britton won best actress in a miniseries. I loved AHS, and I love me some Connie, but it think that Julianne Moore is kind of a lock (thats who I voted for, anyways).