Fall TV Preview

Supernatural Scoop: Stargate's Amanda Tapping Snags Major Role – Plus: M*A*S*H Vet to Guest!

Amanda Tapping SupernaturalSci-Fi staple Amanda Tapping (Stargate, Sanctuary) is joining Supernatural‘s eighth season in a major recurring role, TVLine has confirmed.

Tapping will play Naomi, a character showrunner Jeremy Carver describes as “cool and mysterious, part of a new group of angels we’ve never seen before.”

RELATED | Hundreds of New Spoilers on Your Favorite Returning Shows — Supernatural Included!

The original casting breakdown for Naomi called her a “no-nonsense bureaucrat” a la Matt Damon in The Good Shepherd. “She wears a business suit and has her hair pulled back,” read the notice. “However, Naomi is less together than she appears to be. Her efficient manner belies a deeper emotionality.”

Tapping will turn up in this season’s seventh episode, titled, “A Little Slice of Kevin.”

In other Supe’ news, M*A*S*H‘ vet Mike Farrell will guest star in Episode 8 as Fred Jones, “an aging mentalist with a slippery grasp on reality,” explains Carver.

Supernatural returns Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 9/8c.

Comments (62)

• OMG!!!! This is FANTASTIC news!!! WOOT! LOVE her!!! Jeremy Carver is rocking the casting already!

Comment by Lisa – September 18, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m always happy when amanda tapping is on my tv screen!

Comment by Polly – September 18, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m always happy when she’s on a show I don’t watch!!

Comment by Janine – September 20, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Noooooooooooooooooooo !

Comment by Summers – September 27, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope she doesn’t have that fake British accent, though…

Comment by Carla – September 18, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically she is British by birth, though you’re right – she was raised in Canada and the accent isn’t her own. Her parents probably had accents, though.

Comment by wordsmith – September 18, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!! Please, let her be the one that gets Cas back on his feet… pleeeeeaasee!!!

Comment by AnaB – September 18, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay new women! This is what, the first time we’ve got recurring women characters on the show since season 5? (Jody Mills not withstanding who should also totally come back) Loving Carver’s additions to the cast.

Comment by eaksoy – September 18, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking out about Mike Farrell – Cap. Hunnicut set the bar awfully high!

Comment by heather_kaye – September 18, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sweet! I love the angels, I’m so glad we get to see more of them. And finally we get a female angel who doesn’t get killed right away (like Rachel and Hester did).

Comment by letmefall – September 18, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • anna lasted over half a season so that isnt true about female angels

Comment by Alan – September 18, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But she’s the only one. There have been far more male angels with recurring roles.

Comment by marissaao – September 18, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s great news, however Supernatural doesn’t exactly have a good track records with it’s treatment of females characters. Hope I’ll be proven wrong

Comment by Cain – September 18, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Young female characters, no. Older female characters, they treat pretty decently…until they die of course.

Comment by Ella – November 8, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her on Sanctuary!! Awesome casting!!

Comment by Girish – September 18, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be nice to see Amanda Tapping play a role where she isn’t the know-it-all genius. I’ve always wanted to see her play a deeper, more emotional character who is “less together.” Good for her. I’ll certainly be watching.

Comment by ebau1 – September 18, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure I’ve ever seen characters that were more know it all than the angels in Supernatural. They are collectively the most arrogant know it all, holier than thou bunch of characters on television. Even Carter and Daniel (SG-1) would find the angels from Supernatural intolerable….. that being said, HOORAY! I love Amanda Tapping. The only really good season of Stargate Atlantis was when she was on it and she and Richard Dean Anderson were incredible on SG-1 together. This makes me do my geek tv happy dance.
      l
      P. S. Why does Supernatural treat women so crappy? They are either victims, sexual objects or psycho killing, lying demons/witches. Jo and Ellen were the exception until they offed them too. Bring on some ladies. And I still hate them for killing Bobby… just saying.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – September 18, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you go girl!

Comment by Tania – September 20, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you about Bobby. Killing him off was one of the dumbest things they have done on Supernatural!

Comment by Betty – September 20, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was bummed when bobby got killed. He kept Sam and Dean going and focused on what they were doing killing demons.

Comment by Jim – October 12, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fabulous casting news. I’m very excited. Now Carver, just give me some good Cas news and everything will be perfect. And happy Cas Day to you Michael. This is the 4 year anniversary of when Cas gripped Dean tight and raised him from perdition.

Comment by Dilys – September 18, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo awesome

Comment by L – September 18, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Hope she doesn’t have that fake British accent, though…”

…But she IS English. She was born in Essex and lived there until she was 3, and her parents do have thick accents. So it not TOTALLY fake. Its just posher than her parents actually speak.

Comment by jason – September 18, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but AT never speaks in a British accent posh or not. She mangles the language as she pulls silly faces in place of actually trying to act a bit, Pulling faces and speaking in tongues is no substiute for acting. Hope she only has a very small bit part and then gets killed off before she kills off the show.

Comment by Janine – September 20, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You clearly don’t like her. May I suggest boiling your head in oil, then? Cos she got the part, and the rest of us can’t wait…

Comment by Deee! – September 20, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just about the sort of comment I would expect from a fan of AT. Lowest of the
          low. i don’t like her acting and don’t want her spoiling a show I like but I would never suggest she, or one of her fans, boil their head in oil!!!

Comment by Janine – September 22, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously, Amanda will be a strong character. I don’t see her any other way.

Comment by L – September 18, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the absolute best news I’ve had today.

Comment by L – September 18, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BJ Hunnicutt from M.A.S.H is back! Thank’s god, M.A.S.H is best show forever.
    Sorry kids ;-) is thrue….

Comment by Milan – September 18, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New angels! Hopefully that means we’ll be seeing more of Cas too. I love Amanda Tapping, so great choice!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – September 18, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘M*A*S*H‘ vet Mike Farrell will guest star in Episode 8 as Fred Jones, “an aging mentalist with a slippery grasp on reality,” explains Carver.’

Is he going to see a talking Great Dane and drive around in a paisley van with his ‘gang’ while wearing an ascot and setting traps for all of the monsters?

Comment by TV Fan – September 18, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome…Samantha Carter and BJ on Supernatural!! More great guest actors for our boys to bounce off…and that includes Misha (especially Amanda Tapping as she’s playing an angel). Love Amanda Tapping, she has played one of the best female characters on tv in recent years and hope that this is a turning point for Supernatural to have regular female characters that are written well and stick around. Still no news on Cas I see, he MUST be the big mystery this season otherwise what’s with the silence – I’m not worried, just curious.

Comment by Charlotte (@greenamberblue) – September 18, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve read plenty of news on Cas-he will be in season 8 and we will see what happened to Dean and Cas in Purgatory.

Comment by Ezra Moore – September 18, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is FANTASTIC news! Amanda Tapping as a recurring angel! Will Farrell too!
    What a striking change in my interest level in the show from the last couple of years!

Comment by Kay – September 18, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News!!!! Season 8 is comming !!! :D

Comment by Mel – September 18, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awsome news, love Amanda and I love angels, great combo.

Comment by Sandra – September 18, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh gosh. This is awesooooome! Yaaaaay Amanda! :D

Comment by Ela – September 18, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol hey fandom? This is Amanda Tapping, you are NOT allowed to bitch about her.

This looks like a new era. Hopefully we get kickass females that LIVE.

Comment by Karina – September 18, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Amanda too and I hope the lunatic fringe of the fandom will get back on their meds and leave all of the new female characters alone. I like the spoilers I’m reading, sounds like Jeremy Carver has great ideas.

Comment by Ezra Moore – September 18, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh look more angels, what a shock. Remember when Supernatural was actually a good show? Oh how I miss those days. WTF do you need Sam & Dean around for with all the angels running around? You want kickass woman how about some friggin female hunters? Man I bet Kripke thanks his lucky stars he ran when he had the chance.

Comment by Ty – September 18, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you, Ty. Why more friggin’ angels? I am sick to death of angels on Supernatural. The apocalypse was a non-event. Let them go already. Don’t know the actress at all.

I do love BJ Honeycutt, though!!! Can’t wait for him to be on my tv again.

Comment by Dee – September 18, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kripke had a 5 year plan in motion and he finished it with astounding success. Dafaq you going on about! Angels were the best things in season 4 & 5!!

Comment by Dalek – September 19, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Both her guest appearance and the role sound great :)

Comment by Kristina – September 18, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whine and moan, blah, blah, blah…No is ever happy. Love Supernatural

Comment by L – September 18, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have not been a Supernatural watcher but certainly will be now that Amanda Tapping will be on it. Beauty, Brains, and Talent all rolled into one.

Comment by Debbie Proctor – September 18, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you liked SG-1 there is a good chance you’ll like Supernatural. Totally different shows but very similar kind of humor. Dean reminds me of Jack. A lot.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – September 18, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And as soon as this new character has any kind of interaction with Sam, I fully expect some fans to whine, scream, and moan that she should only speak to Dean or Castiel. I can just see it now.

Comment by rainyday – September 18, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right? It’s like Cas is only allowed to be friends with Dean. Doesn’t make sense.

Comment by hermit – September 18, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all i have to say on this news is…

yeeeessss! :D

Comment by majorsal – September 18, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All I have to say is Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.Why not get an actress instead of Pine head.

Comment by Janine – September 20, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her on Stargate. May have to check out this show!

Comment by Alicia – September 18, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can we have Michael Shanks back again too.

Comment by Rachel – September 18, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would luv to see her as Cas’s luv interest

Comment by Shelli – September 18, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LUV LUV LUV this! i’ve been missing the lovely Ms. Tapping since Sanctuary’s abrupt (imo) cancellation. I Syfy’s mistake is Supernatural’s gain!

Comment by tlbrownlie – September 18, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angels, huh? I seriously hope this means the return of Cas topside.

Comment by Ella – September 19, 2012 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such exciting news! It’s also cool to hear that angels will be back this season.

Comment by Jane – September 19, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of having Amanda Tapping on Supernatural. I’m a fan since she was Carter on SG-1.

But as an angel…..really? Can’t they come up with something new on Supernatural?

The angel plot has become so boring and redundant after “Swan Song”, I hoped Mr. Carver would add something new and imaginative to the show, since the Levi plot so didn’t work last season……….*sigh*.

Obviously that was too much to ask. Again.
    Hopefully the show will last 10 seasons despite the endless repeating of old plots.

New ideas, you guys in the Supernatural writers room, new ideas please, ASAP.

Comment by Dana R. – September 20, 2012 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amanda Tapping, my favorite scifi gal. I am so thrilled she’s on my favorite show. This is one lady they won’t be able to push around. Amanda and Cass as a hook-up??

Comment by Soozee – September 20, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cradle snatcher! No thanks, might be a good hook up for Bobby, oh wait, they get rid of a decent character and bring in a plank of wood.

Comment by Janine – September 22, 2012 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no! I can’t stand her – I stopped watching Stargate because of her and her really, really, REALLY bad acting.I love Supernatural but will never watch an episode that has Mrs Woodentop in it. Why, oh why, have they cast her? Have they seen her trying to act? Have they heard her pathetic attempt at accents????? It is painful to watch. Oh well another show bites the dusts. Next please.

Comment by Janine – September 20, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amanda Tapping back on TV is always a good thing.

Comment by tvdiva – October 3, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post