Ratings: Revolution Starts Strong as The Voice Rises, Bones Up from Finale, Mob Doctor Ailing

The Revolution will be televised — and it will be sampled well.

Leading out of an amplified The Voice (which with 13.4 million total viewers and a 4.6 demo rating was up 9 percent week-to-week) and admittedly facing little competition, NBC’s post-apocalyptic drama drew 11.7 million samplers while netting a 4.1 rating, making it the highest-rated network drama debut in three years (since ABC’s V) and the Peacock’s best drama premiere in five years (since, oof, Bionic Woman).

RELATED | NBC’s Revolution: Are You Signing Up? Plus: Exclusive Scoop on Why the Cubs Didn’t Win this Year’s World Series

NBC also notes that Revolution commanded the best demo rating for any episode of any 10 pm network drama since a January 2010 installment of Private Practice.

Some NBC drama premiere numbers for comparison:
* Smash: 11.4 mil, 3.8 (Monday at 10)
* The Playboy Club: 5 mil, 1.6 (Monday at 10)
* Grimm: 6.5 mil, 2.1 (Friday at 9)

Among Monday’s other fresh fare, Bones returned to an audience of 7.8 million viewers and scored a 2.3 demo rating, up 8 and 21 percent from its May finale though down some from its Monday time slot premiere in April. The Mob Doctor series premiere led out of that with  5 million viewers and a 1.5 rating, demonstrating just 65 percent retention.

Some Fox drama premiere numbers for comparison:
* House final season: 9.8 mil, 3.9
* Alcatraz: 10 mil, 3.3
* Terra Nova: 9.1 mil, 3.1

RELATED | Is Fox’s The Mob Doctor a ‘Hit’? Or a Miss? Cast Your Vote!

What were you tuned into this Monday night? Next week: Dancing With the Stars, CBS’ sitcoms, Castle and Hawaii Five-0 return.

1. JC says:

Mob Doctor: DOA

(sorry I couldn’t resist)

2. Andrea says:

I’m very interested to see how next Monday night will look versus these numbers. There was basically no competition last next. With the returns of DWTS, Castle, and H50, things could look different.

3. Paula says:

Let’s keep this real Michael. Ref Bones: This was the WORST season priemere ratings EVER for this show. AND it was down from the Monday night slot move in April. This show is losing the audience, not retaining it.
    Horrible ratings for a show that touts it has such a loyal fanbase. The real competition and regular competition doesn’t even start til next Monday.

Stop looking for Season 9, this show is done.

• Marie says:

I totally agree with you. I stopped watching Bones as soon as they added that baby on last season that is when I think it started to turn to crap. I really feel the only reason it got high ratings this week is because the primetime shows for Monday are not on till next week. But I think next week is when Bones is going to lose the ratings war and turn into more crap.

• Katherine215 says:

I quit when she had the baby in a “manger” after being unable to find room at the inn – it wasn’t even so much the blatant religious overtone as the seriously cheesy, shark-jumping nature of the scene. And the final scene was her going home right after giving birth? Not even a stop at the hospital? Ugh, I’m cringing just remembering it, and I was a loyal Bones follower since Season 1.

• B says:

I still like the show, I really like most of the characters (though I CANNOT STAND Ryan O’Neal as her dad…he’s terrible) but last season wasn’t great by any means. I hope they can right the ship, but really wish a show would buck the standard “at some point, there just HAS to be a baby or a marriage” thing.

• JC says:

You seem to think that declining ratings in season 8 is some sort of failure. Most shows don’t come close to 8 seasons. FOX is satisfied (but not ecstatic) with these numbers. It’s the Mob Doctor and the X Factor that they’re worried about.

• Danyelle says:

ICAM. Bones is doing just fine for a show this old. And next week is no big deal. Anyone knows that HIMYM is on its last legs and that new Partners show is getting awful reviews.

4. Alex says:

Wow, definitely didn’t expect Revolution to open that big. Congrats, NBC…hope it has good retention in week 2! The Mob Doctor will surely be gone by October.

5. Marie says:

Bones may have got a huge rating this week, but wait till next week when all the primetime Monday shows return in the same time slot. I bet it will go down in ratings next week.

6. omabin says:

@Paula,

Bones is the smalles of Fox problems. So you think they will cancel it and have no drama on the network next year, except for a possible returning the following, is that it? Fringe is ending, touch got a miraculous renewal that will not happe again, mob doctor will be lucky to air a third episode. Reality is also way down from what it used to be on Fox and the Tuesday block comedy is a big big bet, may work, may fail miserably – probably it will be something in between. Bones will be just fine. Maybe not because of its incredible numbers, but because it is a on a network in which everything else is sukcing miserably. Fox brought this on itself, I dont feel sorry for them.

7. Emily says:

Revolution is just terra nova, but set in a different time period, if that show couldn’t last why will this one?

8. wrstlgirl says:

Revolution will certainly die in that time slot when Castle and H50 start up next week. I hope NBC moves it to another night rather than just kill it, which is their usual MO. If they can hold on to the ridiculous Smash then at least give Revolution a fighting chance.

9. Titina says:

Castle and H50 are starting next week. So I am sure the ratings will go way down.
    Besides, I don´t think it´s a good show. The no electricity thing is gonna get tired after a while.

10. Alisa says:

All these Bones haters! What is wrong with you people? I thought it was one of the best episodes they’ve had. I’ve already watched it 3 times. Dark and strong. Can’t wait for the rest of the season.
    PS Reality shows are ruining great writing, acting and talent. That is the real problem with tv

• L says:

I agree with you about Bones. I really thought it was a great season premiere. Ya know, every show has it lovers and haters. For instance, take Supernatural. Now, there’s a love/hate fan base if there ever was one. Still, I wish the Bones haters would ease up. Y’all wanted them together then when they got together people just bagged on the show. The rule of thumb is pretty much that no matter what you do no one is ever happy.

• Lana 1 says:

Love, Love Bones and I still do. Love Ryan O’neal as Dad and I feel something is going to happen with him, the international FBI guy and that Pamona(can’t remember creep’s name) dude. Anyway can’t wait to see what happens this season, is Cam’s daughter and that gorgeous genius with the marvy accent still dating? What kind of bizarre murders are there going to be? And how cute are the babies and my favorite couples are. Its going to be fun, fun, fun.

• Agree. I am a new bones watcher and I love the show. I went back and have watched all the seasons and I am excited for more. Not many shows have the connection between characters, a little intellect, a little humor, and an underlying moral line.

11. Emily says:

I’m probably not going to watch Revolution, but I’m kind of pulling for it to succeed. NBC needs a win.

12. Pam Greene says:

Did people think of all the ones that work and or go to school and have to catch up when they can, we buy every dvd so we can all watch???

• Mary says:

The networks tend to care about the nielsan ratings which unless you have a nielsen box doesn’t effect you not watching tv live. I watch the majority of my shows through Hulu just because I’m either too tired or busy to watch them live.

13. Pam Greene says:

For bones and loved mob dr

14. Marie says:

I don’t understand why fox can’t give the green light to the 3rd X Files movie which is the only fox show that not is the best out of all the fox shows but is also their iconic show that gas made history,but they can still keep crappy shows on like Bones on the air.

15. John says:

I assume lots of people had already seen “Revolution” when NBC put it up online couple of weeks back and still it had those big ratings! Even without much competition, consider me impressed! Me and all my friends had already seen Revolution and most of us decided that we’ll continue with the show. I, personally, really enjoyed it and saw it again.

16. L says:

I thought Bones was a great epi and I enjoyed Revolution. I never had any plan to watch Mob Doctor.

• elr says:

My sentiments exactly! I will give Revolution a couple more episodes. I really enjoyed the premiere, but I’m not sure in which direction they will go.

17. Brandon Rowe says:

I actually liked the Mob Doctor okay, but with these ratings I don’t think it has a chance so I won’t be tuning in anymore. Hooray for Revolution!

18. s says:

Revolution just didn’t seem all that interesting to me. It looked like it might be, but it turned out to be less. I tried to finish it but to be honest I just got bored and went to bed without watching the last 10 minutes.
    Bones became boring (and I hate to say this but) when they put Booth and Brennan together as a couple. I wouldn’t mind so much if they had actually included the audience in it but instead they just used it as a device to explain Emily Deschanel’s pregnancy. This episode was ok…but I couldn’t stop looking at the horrible blonde wig Deschanel was wearing.

19. Dean says:

Maybe if The Mob Doctor gets canceled early (and given the premiere ratings, it looks extremely likely now), FOX could move Touch to Mondays.

20. Rusty says:

Just curious if anyone else heard what I heard on Bones last night. When Tamara Taylor’s character, Cam was walking down to the body in the early part of the show, She and the FBI guy were talking and she said ‘we won’t catch the guy until he f**ks up. I watched it several times, (had it on my DVR) and every time and even asked my brother to listen to it and he agreed that she dropped an F bomb. Anybody else catch this?

21. Lena says:

I’m a loyal Bones viewer, i love the direction of the show and I’m praying it stays on the air. Haters can just go away. Besides, it’s not like Fox has amazing replacements! Replacing House with The Mob Doctor? I think Bones is safe for now, they’re the cornerstone of their drama lineup.

22. Mike says:

Partners will die within 6 weeks and old reliable, Rules of Engagement, will re-appear and save CBS’s asses yet again

23. hannah says:

Bones is safe caise fox has no drama at all. Does anybody know why they picked up only 2/3 new dramas next season (considering The mob doctor dead already)? Did they simply give up on drama after the Terra Nova and Alcatraz debalce?
    Fox used to develop the best dramas on TV (thinking of Fringe or House)!!! what happened?

24. Denver Military Dad says:

Revolution – lets see there was an old timey computer in a secret room, a few planes dropping out of the sky and a bunch of regular people just trying to survive while the “other” people have better weapons and info. Hmmmmm.
    Mob Doc- it should be more Mob than Doctor. It could be good- hope Moretti comes back in flashback or maybe he isn’t really “dead”. And fix his poor car. Ill keep watching.
    Bones- always good- solid show. Let’s see where this season goes. E D S is great even post baby.
    Fox- They bought a bunch of comedy shows bc they saw where drama was headed on Net TV. They will be back on top soon. The Following will “kill” the competition.
    NBC- glorified cable channel. In a few years it will be E! or whatver is making the most $ the cheapest. They – above all- now only care about money at CableTown.

25. prish says:

I thought that William Forsythe as Alexander Constantine was going to be the mob doctor. I thought it was clever casting and was interested. I was shocked to find out that the girl was the doctor, etc. It would have been more clever to have Constantine end up painted into a corner, having to help the mob, and the girl as the heir to the power takeover in the mob. It would have worked to have had her mother having known Constantine in his youth, etc. Ah, lost opportunities for the writers and producers, but I will fast forward to Forsythe’s scenes, though.

26. Lola says:

Ouch. Bye, Mob Doctor. Those numbers will almost surely be down next week. I think it’s probably time for Fox to consider panicking — the X Factor, the most promoted show ever, isn’t doing big ratings. Glee and Bones are doing okay for shows with legs. Mob Doctor is DOA. Fringe, while beloved, is perennially low rated. Touch is buzzless and barely scraped a renewal. At this point, someone better be lighting candles that the Tuesday block works out.

27. Colleen says:

I really enjoyed Mob Doctor, I think there is potential to be a really great series. You can’t compare Mob Doctor to House. House was a great series in its day, but in the end it was time to go, I stomached the last season just to see how the series would end. Give Mob Doctor a chance,before everyone gives it a DOA. Granted FOX never gives anything a chance, and they are more about reality crap then a good drama. But I for one will be tuning in.

28. Gatorbob says:

Oh, oh. Given Greenblatt’s wretched short history at NBC,?it looks bad for Revolution. Harry’s Law was NBC’s most watched scripted series and the idiot cancelled it.

29. Antonio Bezdeck says:

I really really enjoyed Mob Doctor definitely lived up to the hype. Fox would be crazy to drop this show without giving it a chance. I mean what a twist this show has on it, its awesome. This show already has me looking forward to Sundays so i can watch it, and im a hugh football fan and i look forward to the mob doctor and not football. Can wait to see what happens next week things are heating up :)

T.V do yourself a favor and watch this show u will not be disappointed i promise.

30. Katelyn Baughman says:

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz keep mob doctor or find some other network to pick it up it is just getting really good and i luv this show very much