The Voice Season 4 Shake-Up: Cee Lo and Christina Out, Usher and Shakira In!

The Voice Judges Season 4When those chairs swivel around this winter on The Voice, contestants will be looking at two new faces — and at least one pair of hips known to speak the truth.

R&B star Usher and Latin pop goddess Shakira will replace Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera as coaches on Cycle 4 of the NBC singing competition, scheduled to air in early 2013.

Lest you think the network is saying “Forget You” to one half of its coaching panel, NBC assures Voice fans that Aguilera’s and Green’s absences are project-related. The former is about to launch a tour in support of her new album Lotus, and the latter is working on new music and developing a sitcom based on his life for the Peacock Network.

RELATED | Simon Says NBC Pitting The Voice Against X Factor Is ‘Dirty Tricks,’ Frets Britney Will Be ‘Devastated’

The other coaches, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine, will remain through the fourth cycle; both Green and Aguilera are expected to return next fall for Cycle 5.

Might the addition of the big-name Grammy winners have something to do with the buzz created by Britney Spears’ recent addition to Fox’s Voice-similar The X Factor? Or perhaps with American Idol adding Nicky Minaj and Keith Urban to the judges’ panel? What do you think about The Voice‘s new coaches? Sound off in the comments!

Watch More TVLine Videos!

1. Kelly says:

Oh wow. Usher, cool. Shakira, eh.

2. Nick says:

The singers should ask Shakira what her hips think about them. Because her hips don’t lie!

• Michael W says:

I laughed way too hard at this.

• Dr. Rockstar says:

The article didn’t follow-up on the teaser (i.e. poor, poor, so poor journalism, ah, but i digress); left me to wonder: which of the two, allegedly, tell no lies?

Thanks, ’holmes, for the insight.

• Megan says:

I’m never watching the show again till ceilo green and xtina are back.ceilo made the show and so does Blake but seeing these to go hurts I have never even herd of shekira or the other one.i say those 2 come back or I’m done with this show. I loved seeing ceilos face when he flirted with a girl

3. Kathy says:

I guess NBC could not come to terms with Christina and CeeLo’s contacts, so they r being replaced.

• Jared says:

Not at all! There is no drama. It has been known and discussed that the original coaches may leave their position because of other job responsibilities like touring for example. Xtina is planning a tour next year and Cee Lo is going to making a TV show. Marke Burnett the producer has said that the original coaches are allowed to come and go as they please.

• have you not read the post

• Kristoffer says:

Notes to self…..
      1. Read article
      2. Post comment AFTER reading article so my comment actually makes sense.

4. Gabby says:

So happy Christina will be gone. But I don’t think Shakira is a good replacement

• Dick Whitman says:

How so, Gabby? Hace you seen her do anything remotely similar? No.

Let’s all wait and see how she does.

• Don't Worry About It says:

But Shakira can’t sing. This isn’t called “the hips”. It’s called “the voice”. In which hers is not strong enough to judge and critique someone else.

• Ivan says:

So a couple in here don’t think Shakira can sing? is one thing if you don’t like her voice but Shakira can sing…in fact, she is one of the few female artist that actually sings live in things like concerts and her voice is not covered or changed with a bunch of sound effects like others do. Shakira will be a great coach on the Voice!

• Denise Bartlett says:

You are right Shakira cannot sing worth peanuts. How many songs has she had on the charts again? At all even? What one song? I’ve never liked her singing because it sounds muffled and oddly nasally. Not a huge fan of Usher either but he’s tolerable. Christina needs a break or something. She’s been very cold to the other contestants. I think her team was very disappointing and she seems to have it in for the female contestants especially the wee one. Sad to see CeeLo go but an article I just read claims they will both return for season 5 and their replacements therefore are thankfully temporary. Best we can hope for is Shakira doesn’t feel the need to sing on every episode like Christina seems to do. I will not watch it. Which will suck cause I love The Voice.

• jim says:

“I totally agree. christian was very rude to several of the contestants. and honestly i have never heard of shakira before so she must not be famous. I will definetly miss ceelo though. Im going to miss the laughs, glad to know tis only temporary though:)

• LInzy says:

I think you should all stop criqueing shakira, since the show is about people getting their big break and stepping into the music industry, even if you haven’t heard of Shakira she is EXTREMLY popular. She may not have had many songs on the american pop chart but check latin pop charts before you go talking trash.If the show didn’t think she could sing and coach they wouldn’t have asked her to judge.

• Ryan says:

Over the course of her career, Colombian singer-songwriter and Grammy winner Shakira has sold close to 60 million albums worldwide and has won numerous awards including two Grammys, nine Latin Grammys, four World Music Awards, three American Music Awards and five Billboard Music Awards, to name a few. Her collaborations with such stars as Beyonce and Alejandro Sanz have helped keep her audience expanding continually, and she is the only artist from South America to have a No. 1 song in the US. She has had four of the 20 top-selling hits of the last decade, more than any other artist – including 2006’s unforgettable “Hips Don’t Lie,” the biggest-selling single of the 21st century, which reached the No. 1 spot in an astonishing 55 countries. TO make things short, she is the one who has won the most awards out of all the judges in this season so she is qualified for the job.

• Alessandra Quintanilla says:

i agree but lets see how the voice goes(aventually she might win)

• Alessandra Quintanilla says:

thank you shakira is not a good judge i mean come on the t.v show is named (VOICE) she does not have any

5. Melanie says:

I didn’t see that coming! I guess that Christina will be too busy promoting her new album to be a judge next season!

6. They shouldn’t be having a spring session. They are going to ruin the show by showing it to much and people are going to get sick of it.

7. Kristen says:

Maybe I will actually watch it if Christina’s gone. She’s unbearable!

8. Em says:

I think NBC is running the show into the grow by airing two cycles a year. They wouldn’t have to worry about replacing coaches if it was just once a year, giving them plenty of time for other things.

We all have to remember the coaches are music artists, first and foremost. I expect to see both Cee-Lo and Chrisina back for season five.

But I’m incredibly excited to see Christina on tour. Been a fan since I was 9 – and it’ll be my first time!

9. Replacing the t with a?…someone had to say it. come on.

10. Sarah says:

Poor middle aged housewives! Christina will be gone, so therefore they can’t talk about her cleavage anymore! :( Aw!

11. Mick says:

Usher is incredibly boring. Whenever he is on a talk show it is just blah. A couple of people also mentioned it on Graham Norton. I hope he brings more life to this.

12. Meem says:

Way to change the subject from the American Idol casting to your own. Well done, Voice, well done.

13. mia says:

At first I was outraged, but after reading the article and knowing that its temporary because of scheduling…I’m okay now.
    Shakira is a good choice, but I’ll miss Christina a lot. Good to know we’ll be getting an album as a result though :P

14. BTM says:

I agree with the “too many cycles” comments. I love these four together: They have fun chemistry.

15. David says:

Thank you to The Voice for not dragging out a public search for replacement judges…like that other show does……

16. Rachel says:

As much as I like Shakira, and I think Usher’s a great replacement if you need one (so I’m sure they will both be awesome!) – I’m a little afraid that season will be like the red headed step child of The Voice. If the coaches are leaving and the show is going in a new direction, that’s one thing, but to run the show for a full season without two of its staples? Only to bring them back later with a “DON’T WORRY, SAME OLD SHOW HERE!”? That’s just odd.

17. Amanda says:

Would love it if these singing talent shows would focus less on the talent and more on the talent

18. Also agree with the running it too much comment. It’s not like Dancing with the Stars. Idol has lasted because there’s anticipation for when it airs in the winter/Spring.

19. Lourdes says:

I think Cycle 4 has a shot at being successful if Adam and Blake stay on as their chemistry is a big part of the reason I tune in. I do agree it’s probably a bad strategy for NBC to stretch The Voice so thin … I know their ratings across the board are not great, but probably not a good idea to risk killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

20. They are only being replaced for the spring season, not permanently. None of the judges wanted to do both fall and spring shows.

21. Reblogged this on The Lotus Reality and commented:
    I am so sad to see Christina taking next season off but I guess I should be happy she will be promoting her new album. I think Usher is perfect to replace Cee Lo because he is relevant and could use the exposure. I am not excite about Shakira but hopefully she will surprise me. I think Idol has The Voice beat when it comes to new judges!

22. Shakira on the Voice, or as I like to call it “the reason why we have a mute button”.

23. juan says:

I love Shakira, she is awesome even though her English music is not as awesome as her spanish music. I am excited and will watch next season for sure.

24. Joseph says:

For these competition shows saying that it isn’t about the judges. All of them sure pick celebrities as judges. What an oxymoron. These shows are ALL about the judges. People don’t tune in for the competitiors -they are doing it for the interactions of the panel. So glad I haven’t jumped on the reality competition bandwagon. All of these shows seem to the same now.

• GeekGirl13 says:

I won’t deny I started watching The Voice for Blake and Adam (and I’ll be watching Idol for the first time ever for Keith) but my dedication to these guys only gets me in the door, so to speak. If I couldn’t find competitors to care about I wouldn’t keep watching. Thank to The Voice I am as dedicated to Dia Frampton and Xenia now as I am Blake. And while I’ve never cared for Idol I’m glad that it gave Carrier Underwood and Kelly Clarkson the shot they needed for their careers to take off. While I’m glad it’s not Blake and Adam taking a break, I’d keep watching Voice even if they did.

25. Kelly says:

Usher cool. I rather have Kelly Clarkson instead of Shakira. Or beyonce or a number of other female artists. Mary J Blige but she is okay.

26. Mike says:

Overkill much…

27. Andrew says:

Nbc should have waited for xtina and cee lo to be available. I am a huge fan of Adam and Blake but without xtina and cee lo it won’t be the same. Even tho xtina messed up the anthem, I like her personality on the voice.

28. deds says:

Yes to Usher but idk about Shakira

29. deds says:

They should change their schedule…..if anyone should go, it should be blake..not only did i have to look him up with the show first started..when alot of contestants sing…he doesnt know the songs except for popular ones or country ones

• samaxe794 says:

So the only singing show that has had a country judge should get rid of that judge? Don’t think you thought that through. There is more to the world than Justin Beiber and pop music.

30. teatime says:

I love these shows. So I will watch. But twice a year might be too much. Maybe next year they should just have a fall season.

31. samaxe794 says:

Meh. Usher is ok, but Shakira? Come on.

32. blingedup says:

Hmmmm, Michael Slezak and Melinda Doolittle are now recapping The Voice and Cee-Lo and Christina are leaving. I may actually have to start watching!

33. Rayson says:

I love Shakira, she is a real international artist, her music is heard in many countries and is also a great person (always helping people) what a great person to have on the show, I will actually watch the show now!! ;)

34. Rain says:

Christina’s leaving and both Blake & Adam are staying – that’s my dream version of The Voice! I’m shaking my hips like Shakira in celabration!!

• Weston says:

I couldn’t agree more! It’s about time they got rid of her. Good luck Cee-lo. After nobody picked him that’s what they had to do. He’ll have another chance. But Usher, really? Let’s just go get some random artist for the best singing competition on TV! Give me a break!
      😃—–😔

• Jo says:

I don’t know what are you saying. Xtina has one of the best voices out there. You can’t even beging to compare her to shakira. I dare anyone to tell me they understand even half of shakira lyrics when she sings. As for usher he will be in the shadows of cee Lo, he’s quite the character!
      I’ll wait for season 5 yo enjoy the voice after season 3 is over.

35. Kiki says:

that would be a very sexy trio: adam, blake & usher! yum!

36. cz says:

Super excited for both!!!!

37. Bob says:

Shakira is a great choice. She has an amazing voice, multiple Grammys and knows how to sell music. How many other judges speak 5 languages. She will draw viewers.

• Julio says:

To me is amuzing how people take pride in the “5” languages..shakira “speaks”…which I don’t know how fluent and well versed in the languages she is…because I heard her trying to speak itilian and OMG..terrible,terrible and Italian is from the same family of languages as spanish.

Anyway the thruth is the program is called “The voice” which Shakira doesn’t have. I speak, read and write fluently in 5 languages but it doesn’t mean I should be in “The voice”.

The pogram is called “The voice” not the ” wanna be Polyglot”

In today’s world people even if they don’t want easily they can learn a second language.

38. Natalie says:

I cannot wait for “Xtina” to go. Really sad to see Cee Lo leave, but I think the replacements for next season are good! Shakira is so different from Christina that she will bring something Christina didn’t. And Usher and Cee Lo in terms of their genre are similar, but Usher (like him or not) has one of the best voices in the industry. Agree or disagree, but I think the show is going to be just fine! Best singing show on the air. They will know when it is time to end the show unlike idol

39. Linda Jenkins says:

Don’t leave the voice Christina, you have the most beautiful voice I have ever herd and no other female artist can even hold a candle to you. If you leave you will be soooooooooooo missed. I love you as an artist and the person you are. Linda from Calumet City Illinois.

40. renee says:

Not going to watchThe Voice until Christina and Cee Lo return to their chairs. Not the same without the original team of coaches

41. John b says:

User is a big thug nod NBC could not find somebody with talent their are way to many singers out their that is slot better then this ass

42. Linn Øvretveit says:

I was not happy about the changes in the coaches. But now reading that Christina & CeeLo will be back for nr 5 of The Voice makes me VERY HAPPY!!! =) All og the four original coaches MUST be there. They are The Voice. So I say it again. VERY HAPPY THEY AR RETURNING FOR NR 5 =)

43. shahirah.andy says:

glad to know Xtina will be back on season 5.. Shakira will be a good coach but Xtina more better.. its just my opinion..

44. playezx says:

adam levine team will Win!!!

45. I think that usher & shakira will both make great judges. They both are extremely talented artists with awesome singing skills. I think that if you’re gonna have a mentor it might as well be someone that’s had tons of success world wide like shakira. And someone like usher that brings something more different than Adam Kevin & Blake shelton. As for cee lo green & Christina aguilera also very talented artists I believe they would agree positively on the new judge choices.

46. fune says:

Cristina leaving.. defntly bad for voice.. i will not watch the show without Cristina.. she knows how to sing and shakira ohh nooo

47. Shelly says:

They will both be missed! Won’t be good with out the original 4…Christina has an amazing voice!!!people hate on her so much and so what.. she makes mistakes.. Or how she looks, talks it still dose not take away of how good of a singer she is!! (fact)…

48. Erick says:

Funny to see some people saying that Shakira can’t sing,. She is not Nicki Minaj neither Britney Spears. I love Cristina but Im anxious to see Shakira share her amazing singing skills and writting skills. She is a true artist. For references google her, btw If you are limited to being monolingual you might say she has no singing skills. Lol.

• Ivan says:

Right! Shakira is a true definition of an artist! her voice is Unique (so if u don’t like it too bad) she also changes her voice a lot, sometimes soft, sometimes strong, sometimes sweet and sometimes raw! does all types of music, writes most of her songs with a few covers here and there. She is a true International artist! If you think that she is only Hips then u obviously don’t know her, or her music. How many female singers today can say they did or can do an MTV Unplugged??? Please tell me? not too many and yet Shakira was invited to do hers before she even started singing in English! Sometimes people need to keep their opinions of hate to themselves.

• Julio says:

Shakira=sex sells…that’s what has taken her to “stardom” not her being a “true” artist. I’m multilingual and her lyrics in spanish are trash! her good lyrics in spanish are way,way long gooooone!

• Jim says:

inexpensive way for NBC to handle prime time TV shows – agree its likely to destroy compared to annual format – given season-3 took 32 network shows; changing judges OK (except for Randy Jackson, all have changed over the years); Voice uses judges much more than the other shows; reflects how most of $$ is going to the judges, at least in this case.