Soaps Shocker: General Hospital Brings Back Sean Kanan, But As Who? Dead A.J.? NuJason?

SSean Kanan General Hospitalean Kanan, who began his soaps career playing the definitive A.J. Quartermaine — though Meg Masters and I apparently will agree to disagree on that — is en route back to General Hospital.

But to play… who, exactly?

RELATED | Steve Burton Quits General Hospital: ‘The Timing’s Not the Best, But…. It’s Time to Go’

TV Guide Magazine‘s Michael Logan, who first reported the news of Kanan’s quite unexpected Port Charles homecoming, says the actor’s long-term arc will kick off on Oct. 29, though no details are being revealed about his character. After all, Quartermaine clan black sheep A.J., played by Billy Warlock at the time, was murdered in April 2005.

But, being a soap, I’m obligated to lob out this: “Or was he?!”

Kanan took over the role of GH‘s A.J. (from Gerald Hopkins) in February 1993, and played the hapless rich kid/unapologetic alcoholic until June 1997. During that stretch, he was around for A.J.’s first hook-up with Carly, which was as random as it was scorching (skip to the 5-minute mark).

RELATED | General Hospital‘s John Ingle, Who Played Edward Quartermaine, Passes Away at Age 84

Since parting ways with GH, Kanan has appeared on soaps such as Sunset Beach (as Jude), The Bold and the Beautiful (Deacon) and, until earlier this year, The Young and the Restless (still Deacon).

Prior to his daytime TV career, Kanan got positively owned by the Karate Kid.

Comments (87)

• it’s a long shot… but what are the chances they’d replace steve burton with the guy who played his brother?? jason morgan 2.0 anyone?

Comment by Michelle Kufs – September 17, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I thought too.

Comment by lorie c – September 17, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know that could almost work for me!

Comment by Amanda Shannon – September 17, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sean kanan welcome back to general hospital and alot of big fans want you back as AJ qutermaine and are you comming back as aj sean john and howard caylor and 50000000000fans that want AJ qutermaine back sean kanan john and howard caylor and lots of fans

Comment by howard and john caylor – October 8, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Prayers answered, NEVER liked how they treated Monica and Allan’s son from the very beginning of this crazy soap. Never experienced true happiness, while his son was being raised by a freakin’ mobster. Always LOVED the chemistry between A.J. and Keesha Ward (wish they’d bring back this actress too). Glad to see A.J. back.

Comment by Bea K. – October 31, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ARE YOU CRAZY BEA.JASON MORGAN HAS MADE GH AND IF IT’S TRUE I WILL QUIT WATCHING GH.I HAVE TAPED GH.SINCE OCT.DUE TO SICKNESS IN MY FAMILY.I JUST CAN’T BELIEVE IT.BEA K.WHERE IS YOUR ADVENTURE AND LUST.SORRY BEA BUT YOU ARE WRONG,WRONG,.JUDYM.

Comment by JUDY – December 21, 2012 01:30 PM PDT
      • ME TOO! NOT A BAD IDEA AT ALL THEY HAVE VERY SIMILAR FEATURES. NOW THE TEST WOULD BE IF HE CAN TAKE ON THE CHARACTER AS JASON MORGAN. I HOPE SO

Comment by YOVI LUGO – October 16, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hello- You are so right. I have watched him on Bold and the Beautiful, Young and the Restless and also Karate Kid he can be a bad boy. So we will see if that is what they decide to do. To be honest A.J.’s character has been so used up and his family is almost gone except Monica and Tracy I don’t see no reason to bring him back. Unless they plan on writing something juicy for Monica and Tracy in which they have not in years.Edward has died in real life and they don’t plan on a recast and who is A.J. going to be in a fight with his son Michael (that sounds pretty good) hmmmm. Might have something but that wouldn’t last long enough to be interesting I think as Jason it would benefit so many of the characters Sam and the baby, Liz and her lusting after him, and Sonny protector. What do you think

Comment by Crystal Ballard – October 16, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think he Sean can pull it off. The storyline needs Jason character plus Sonny lol. I think it would add some pop to the storyline.

Comment by chico – October 19, 2012 01:52 PM PDT
          • I’m a 40year old man that watch gh faithfully. I watch because I enjoy the gangster part of Sonny and Jason. I hope they keep Jason’s role going Kanan. Iwill not watch if Jason s role is gone.

Comment by wen – October 19, 2012 05:57 PM PDT
          • I think they bring him back as Jason Morgan. The shows going to die without Jason. He is what keeps that show alive and interesting and without him, the show will die. I want robin back to. I don;t care if they recast her also. Hey Carly turned out great, Lucky was recasted a few times, and Kate, and Maxi and they have all fit right in. Yes we love Kimberely and Steve but I don’t want to loose them forever.

Comment by Patty Dilworth – October 22, 2012 10:09 PM PDT
          • yes please bring him back as jason….jason better be recast atleast or gh will lose alot of fans and the best person to recast him is sean kanan! WORD! GH BETTER LISTEN!

Comment by kimberly davis – October 27, 2012 03:24 AM PDT
    • It’s a great idea!

Comment by wilsnana – September 17, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think it would be cool but a ton of SB shippers would literally try to burn down the studio if GH did that…

Comment by sladewilson – September 17, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not? After all, their striking resemblance was frequently mentioned back in the day as I recall.

Comment by april-ann – September 17, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’re cousins in real life, which I didn’t know until years later.

Comment by Meg – September 18, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was curious about this so I googled it, and by all accounts they are “related” only by marriage. So there’s no “blood” there that would account for any physical resemblance.

Comment by april-ann – September 18, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read that Steve Burton is leaving GH! paste this link above.. http://tvline.com/2012/08/28/steve-burton-quits-general-hospital/

Comment by Danielle D – September 17, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly! He and Steve have a much more similar look than Billy Warlock and Steve did. Hey, they brought back Sarah Brown as Claudia after being the first Carly, so it would not be a stretch for them!

Comment by Glendy – September 17, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No one can replace Jason GH is never going to be the same I’ve already lost interested in watching the show and I have been watching GH for 40years

Comment by Sandybongomeyer – December 7, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree JASON IS GENERAL HOSPITAL.SO sick of that winey Elizabeth.,she does nothing for the show…..I love that Robert and Anna are back but they need to recast a few of the horrible actors.

Comment by mayhopper – December 11, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure he will be our Jason…. You replace the Jason character, not kill him off…. The Jason character is tied into too many other character.

Comment by Mary – October 24, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think its a long shot too…. but…. I think it could possibly work. The actor does bear similar in looks. He just has to be more closed in as opposed to the character of A.J. who was not closed in…. Just might work

Comment by Debra Bassett – October 26, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he should play jason..We need a jason on G.H

Comment by angela – October 28, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I heard they are going to find Jason with Robin and Duke this month ? Is there truth to this???

Comment by mayhopper – December 11, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steve Burton is the only Jason in my eyes. Certain actors could never be replaced. Maybe I am wrong, but Burton is unique

Comment by phyllis – November 23, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by mayhopper – December 11, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aj is a horrible actor and was the first time around, those of use die hard GH”ers don’t want him back……Story line is to unbelievable

Comment by deborah – December 5, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Jason recast. That would suck. He should just play AJ. They already brought back the original Duke. It’d be fine.

Comment by Rrrrrr – September 17, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Sean Kanan is coming on as a Jason recast. That would be a stupid move. Steve Burton has a huge fanbase. That would not sit well with them.
    I hope SK is back as no one else but A.J. Quartermaine!

Comment by Dani – September 17, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100%!! That would not be a smart move for GH! Jason Morgan’s fanbase is HUGE (myself included) and I think it would an insult. Bring Kanan back as A.J. and let’s see him go toe to toe with Carly and Michael. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Steve Burton will make a comeback!! Afterall, its not the first time he has left and came back!!

Comment by dee hall – October 26, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he comes back as AJ and not as a Jason recast.

Comment by qeee – September 17, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if it will be a whole new character. I mean Jason shouldn’t be played by anyone but SB and having AJ back on the show without the AJ/Jason relationship to work with seems like a rather odd idea

Comment by Amanda – September 17, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IIRC, Sean and Steve are cousins in RL are they not? I recall reading references to that when they both were on GH together.

Comment by theschnauzers – September 17, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they are, but by marriage.

Comment by mary beth – September 17, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He could play Jimmy Holt, though I think he is too young.

Comment by Mick – September 17, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved LOVED both his and BW’s AJ, might prefer BW’s a bit more… but SK is awesome too….. hmmm PLEASE let him be AJ!!!

Comment by voltronstory – September 17, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are recasting Jason I linked it above he is leaving gh!

Comment by Danielle D – September 17, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally awesome! i loved him in Sunset Beach and B&B. Sean Kanan can play so much sexyyyyyyy.

Comment by lipsticksocialism – September 17, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trying to imagine how sk chemistry will work out with all of Jason’s circle. I cannot see him with a lot of the staples like Elizabeth Carly and Sonny. Maybe Sam but not sure about that one either.

Comment by Lindsey – September 17, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think GH has no choice but to recast Jason. Steve Burton is clearly the best but I think Sean Kanan is good choice as a recast.

Comment by Bri – September 17, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do they HAVE to recast Jason? All the message boards I’ve been on say the opposite. I think Jason’s run his course. They wrote him into a corner. There’s no growth with him. I want AJ back because the previous regime screwed him over royally. When SK played the role his was strong, but Billy Warlock’s version was weak and broken down. I just want AJ back so he can have a relationship with Michael. And I want Michael to learn what really went down between his bio-parents. There’s a lot of story potential there.

Comment by Lena120 – September 17, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t want to see another Jason. SB has left before and the show survived. I think it’s time for Jason to go.

Comment by Meg – September 18, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe he can play Sam & Jason’s SORASed baby!

Comment by Sheila – September 17, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahahahahaa!!

Comment by Keren – September 17, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason is in some major storylines right now…my sister and I thought if GH replaces Steve Burton, the former Days actor Kyle Lowder (sp?) could be a good choice…maybe??

Comment by tina – September 17, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He most definitely was the best A.J. but as crucial as Jason is I don’t think you can recast him. Not after Burton played him for over 20 years. Could you recast Luke or Sonny? It just wouldn’t work.

Comment by Lyndsey – September 17, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he is going to be AJ back from the dead. Then, AJ would be the one behind the whole Franco scenario. Jason took Courtney away from AJ, so AJ is taking away Sam.

Comment by C.C. – September 17, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very interesting suggestion.

Comment by Kvivik – September 18, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about bringing Courtney back. I thought she was really good on GH and it seems weird for Sonny’s sister to be gone from the canvas so long.

Comment by nyguy – September 18, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Courtney died years ago.

Comment by dlmka – September 18, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yup,died from some sort of disease I believe…..when they were cutting down a few characters.

Comment by Shaun – September 18, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She died during child birth while she had the disease that killed Sam’s brother.

Comment by Matt – October 17, 2012 08:26 PM PDT
  • Please no re-cast. There are so many more story possibilites with AJ.

Comment by MK – September 18, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Steve Burton and hate the idea of him leaving but he is and GH has to deal with it so I can see a recast. Think about it…with Jason gone Sonny is on his own, so is Carly and the triangle with Liz and Sam grinds to a halt. That leaves a big gaping hole on the GH canvas. Especially since I don’t see Steve coming back any time soon – not since he moved to TN!

Comment by Caro – September 18, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if … when Steve Burton Leaves Jason get’s in an accident on his way out of town and is a coma, with all the brain issues if has had no one know if he can wake up, then you bring back Tony or Drake with a risky plan, it works … wakes up as Jason Quatermaine.

Comment by Amanda – September 18, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he should come back as Aj and have a son that turns out to be Jake.Because there was another SUV on the road that they never could find out who it was.

Comment by Susan – September 19, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since this IS GH, Helena probably snatched the REAL Jason after the car accident and replaced him with a supposedly brain-damaged doppelganger, one who would eventually assume the name “Jason Morgan”. Remember the Quartermaine-Cassadine connection goes back to the Ice Princess, so it would fit in with Helana’s typical revenge modus operandi. The other stock GH thing has always been another Alan or Edward affair-produced illegitimate child that was unknown up until now. Maybe Heather sold off an unknown Jason twin, and he’s just now going to resurface. Didn’t Heather sell off Steven Lars, who Diana then passed off as PJ? Remember, Jason was the product of a Heather-Alan affair. An unknown twin would fit right into the GH pattern.

Comment by laurelnev – September 19, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Jason was a product of Heather’s cousin Susan and Alan affair.

Comment by Crystal Ballard – October 11, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to see the 1 who plays Jason leave Gh but yet on the other hand I also like to see this plays out as the 1 p l a y s A.J I hate to see the 1 who plays Jason get recast the writers can get him out the corner they put him in & come up with something different. always make it exciting bring back another character someone new shown yet or mentioned bring them back at the time you make the 1 who plays Jason character get out the corner they put him in.

Comment by Patricia thomas – September 20, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will be playing both Jason and AJ when it is revealed that Jason, AJ, and Franco are triplets!

Comment by PGP – September 23, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I like Helena idea, and yeah sk and sb look alike but franco and sb nothing alike, if they recast sb how is he to come back? And the carly thing is totally true….only one of the carly’s was not “carly” and yes took a while to accept new carly, but lb is awesome…love her…I will be most sad to see sb leave

Comment by amberkenny – September 24, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch either of these soaps but I thought I read SK was going back to B & B?

Comment by Joy – September 24, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He could work as Jason, I LOVE Steve Burton. But the show will go on and I didn’t think anyone could replace Carly but I love Carly now. And SK will do fine. And I wish SB all the best with his family!!

Comment by aimee – October 10, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really believe that Sean Kanan will be a great Jason replacement. I love Steve Burton and have watched him since day one, however everyone is replaceable and if we are faithful GH fans we will soon accept his replacement. There are alot of story lines surrounded by Jason and different characters need him to keep their story intact, so to just say no Steve Burton so no Jason is a little selfish on our part. Steve left and knew that someone else can play Jason and he wished them luck. The replacement will make it if he plays Jason his way not Steve Burton’s way and we can’t expect him to. Lucky has been replaced and it was a success, Carly it took two but look who we have now and she is great, Edward and his replacement John Ingle (RIP) was great and A.J. so I think we need to embrace his replacement with open arms and enjoy our GH. If Sean is replacing Jason I believe he will do a good job bad boy he can be and sexy. He can be taking to a new level because I think he is a little more open than Steve Burton was to love scenes. I say Watch Out we might get a little more than we bargained for. Sorry if I offended anyone just my thoughts.

Comment by Crystal Ballard – October 11, 2012 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather have Sean Kanan as Jason, than no Jason at all. I am a huge Steve Burton fan, but his role with Kelly Monaco is the biggest reason why I am a fan. I stopped watching when they broke up because I hated seeing her with John McBain and Jason with Liz. I would prefer Steve, but since he is not an option, I hope that Kanan will be resuming the role. I don’t want Sam with anyone else!

Comment by SJ Hunt – October 20, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! I don’t think a recasted Jason would alienate Steve Burton fans at all because in the end, we’re not just Steve Burton fans, we’re JASON fans. Sam NEEDS Jason along with several others on that show. Besides, if the character of Jason were really dead or dying, wouldn’t they have given him a little better send-off than what we saw Friday? Kinda like they did with Robin? Everyone knew what was coming, so they built up to it. The spoilers at GeneralHospitalHappenings.com say next Monday that “AJ (SEAN KANAN) RETURNS!” But the rest of the week there is no mention of “AJ” or “Jason.” They are doing an amazing job at keeping this under wraps. As for me, I sure hope Sean is back to play Jason. If they can recast a character as important as Carly successfully, who’s to say they can’t do the same for the character of Jason? It would be awfully evil of the writers to FINALLY give Sam & Jason everything they wanted, just to take it away again. Heartbreaking. Oh the suspense….

Comment by Bri – October 22, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • look we all love steve and we all love jason- the character HAS to stay. if it’s this guy as jason, or as a.j. with no jason- c’mon. i for one am praying he’s jason.

Comment by a – October 22, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and personally, i think of billy as a.j. still.

Comment by a – October 22, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe they are bringing him back as Jason Quartermaine

Comment by Shirley Sovia – October 24, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after today, i think he’s coming back as AJ

Comment by Lori – October 24, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think sean should be the new jason because the show want be good without a jason

Comment by Shonda – October 25, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he does not come back as Jason. That’s all I have to say

Comment by Kathy Schwartz – October 25, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the new Jason, what a a wonderful replacement, as Goodlad the maxi replacement, I am just glad he is back

Comment by Donna chavarria – October 26, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anybody actually watch GH? Monica has been picking up the photo of Jason (SB) and AJ (SK) for the past week. Which means SK is clearly AJ, not Jason.

Comment by Mandy – October 27, 2012 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember watching episode where Monica finds out Jason “died”. When she mentioned all her family members that died she didnt say AJ (Michael did) so then I was like whomever is in the photo as AJ will determine everything and there he was SK as AJ in photos. I started watching with Billy Warlock and he was a great AJ (my fave GH character) but the writers overtime wrote him bad but Warlock still did great work with bad material. I have been watching SK as AJ via youtube so looking forward to AJ being back and seeing how SK does after all these years. I am looking forward to seeing AJ dynamic with Michael.

Comment by Chris – October 27, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one can replace Steve Burton as Jason, it just won’t be the same! It’s like when Luke and Patin left “ONE. TREE. HILL” they can’t be replaced & the show won’t be the same. It’s ok to replace minor characters but not the main ones and Jason is a #1 story line character! Loyal, Gorgeous Bad Boy with a Heart!! Too sad for GH they need Steve Burton!

Comment by Jam – October 30, 2012 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Steven Amell wasn’t doing so well with Arrow he would be a good Jason Quartermaine recast. Recast Jason. Sean as A.J. perfect.

Comment by Linda – October 30, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a side note does anyone remember Jason before the accident, he was annoying and sounded like a nerd alot. Best thing was for Jason to be affected by the accident. Steve shines/shined as new Jason.

Comment by Linda – October 30, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think A.J. is back,but I also hope Jason comes back either recast or not. Sam needs Jason back. I liked John Mcbain on OLTL but not so much on GH. Not for Sam!!

Comment by Dianne – October 31, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not post on here before.. I like what you guys are saying . Never mind my comment then.

Comment by Dianne – October 31, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to try again. A.J. is back I think. Jason needs to come back,recast or not, Sam needs him now more than ever. John Mcbain was good and cool on OLTOL but he is not the one for Sam.

Comment by Dianne – October 31, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I quit watching after Vanessa Marsil left the first time… Got back into it when OLTL was cancelled. Now Steve Burton– There is no replacement for Jason- Something fantastic other than McBain needs to happen for Sam… Is it time to give up on GH? One positive – great that Maxi is back / the other one was sooooo annoying

Comment by Lizzy – December 29, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hello everyone..i have to admit i watch general hospital..yes i’m a guy but i still like the show..the thing is..it’s only a soap opera!..it’s not real!..i’m thinking many of you watch all these reality shows thinking they’re real too..soap operas are just stories written by several writers; the actors are paid pretty well actually but they’re just human beings!.yes i do like the storylines but i do hope they just recast jason and continue on!

Comment by andrew – January 8, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GH needs to bring someone to replace the missing Jason Morgan!!!!

Comment by kayci – January 9, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched GH for 33 years,and if Jason doesnt come back,,,I wont be watching it for the 34th….

Comment by kittypuss – January 26, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post