Exclusive: Laura Prepon Joins Weeds Creator's New Netflix Drama Series Orange is the New Black

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

That ’70s Show‘s Laura Prepon is going directly to jail as one of the stars of Orange is the New Black, Weeds creator Jenji Kohan’s upcoming 13-episode prison-set drama for Netflix, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Based on the book by Piper Kerman, the Lionsgate-produced series centers on Piper (Mercy‘s Taylor Schilling), a Brooklyn native whose decade-old relationship with a drug-runner in college results in her arrest and multi-year detention in a federal penitentiary. Prepon, who most recently starred in last season’s short-lived NBC comedy, Are You There, Chelsea?, will play her aforementioned ex, Alex.

Netflix is making a major push into the original series arena. In addition to Orange, the online streaming behemoth’s other upcoming projects include David Fincher’s House of Cards, mystery saga Hemlock Grove and the return of Arrested Development.

Comments (14)

• So excited. I loved the hell out of Weeds, and now either news I’m somewhat content. When Mary Louise Parker makes it back in my screen, then I’ll be really happy.

Comment by Rrrrrr – September 17, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read the book. I hardly think 15 months counts as multi-year.

Comment by madhatter360 – September 17, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When’s it coming to Netflix?

Comment by Sareeta – September 17, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Prepon in an orange jumpsuit (and hopefully handcuffs)!? Count me in!

Comment by Viktor – September 17, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FYI: Laura Prepon isn’t playing the main character, Piper Kermen, who goes to prison. She is playing the role of Alex, Piper’s ex-girlfriend, who gets her involved in drug trafficking. The book was very good. Can’t wait to watch.

Comment by Kristy – September 22, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are these things actually coming to Netflix? I might re-up my membership to check them out, but I’ve been hearing about House of Cards for awhile now, with no date attached.

Comment by Rachel – September 17, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe all of the projects listed will hit in 2013.

Comment by dan – September 17, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but Laura Prepon was the least likeable actor and character on That 70′s Show and for some reason, they gave her a lot of screentime and made the character win at everything. What made the show was Mila Kunis and the dynamic between the 4 boys. Everything Prepon has been in since then has crashed and burned.

Comment by Ella – September 17, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! She seems like a nice woman, but she isn’t a talented actress. She has zero range and lacks chemistry with anyone she is on screen with. Every time I see that she is in something I keep hoping she will prove me wrong, but sadly, she hasn’t. I don’t understand why they keep casting her in things!

Comment by Abby – September 18, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So, after OITNB was released on Netflix, have you changed your mind? She’s amazing in this role and she has incredible chemistry with Taylor. In fact, she plays the role of Alex so well, I can’t picture anyone else in it.

Comment by sara_t – July 30, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been disappointed in most of her performances as well, because I actually find Laura Pepron very likeable. I understand the characters she played after 70s show were not meant to be bubbly, but I feel she’s got to inject more energy and precision into her roles. Most of her lines are delivered the same way and it gets monotonous.

Comment by tara – September 18, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Renee – September 18, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laura Prepon hasn’t been any fun since she dyed her hair blonde.

Comment by Jeff Spaulding – September 18, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the series. When is season two?

Comment by Tony – August 5, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post