Exclusive

Exclusive: Laura Prepon Joins Weeds Creator's New Netflix Drama Series Orange is the New Black

That ’70s Show‘s Laura Prepon is going directly to jail as one of the stars of Orange is the New Black, Weeds creator Jenji Kohan’s upcoming 13-episode prison-set drama for Netflix, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Based on the book by Piper Kerman, the Lionsgate-produced series centers on Piper (Mercy‘s Taylor Schilling), a Brooklyn native whose decade-old relationship with a drug-runner in college results in her arrest and multi-year detention in a federal penitentiary. Prepon, who most recently starred in last season’s short-lived NBC comedy, Are You There, Chelsea?, will play her aforementioned ex, Alex.

Netflix is making a major push into the original series arena. In addition to Orange, the online streaming behemoth’s other upcoming projects include David Fincher’s House of Cards, mystery saga Hemlock Grove and the return of Arrested Development.

1. Rrrrrr says:

So excited. I loved the hell out of Weeds, and now either news I’m somewhat content. When Mary Louise Parker makes it back in my screen, then I’ll be really happy.

2. madhatter360 says:

I read the book. I hardly think 15 months counts as multi-year.

3. Sareeta says:

When’s it coming to Netflix?

4. Viktor says:

Laura Prepon in an orange jumpsuit (and hopefully handcuffs)!? Count me in!

• Kristy says:

FYI: Laura Prepon isn’t playing the main character, Piper Kermen, who goes to prison. She is playing the role of Alex, Piper’s ex-girlfriend, who gets her involved in drug trafficking. The book was very good. Can’t wait to watch.

5. Rachel says:

When are these things actually coming to Netflix? I might re-up my membership to check them out, but I’ve been hearing about House of Cards for awhile now, with no date attached.

6. Ella says:

I’m sorry but Laura Prepon was the least likeable actor and character on That 70′s Show and for some reason, they gave her a lot of screentime and made the character win at everything. What made the show was Mila Kunis and the dynamic between the 4 boys. Everything Prepon has been in since then has crashed and burned.

• Abby says:

Thank you! She seems like a nice woman, but she isn’t a talented actress. She has zero range and lacks chemistry with anyone she is on screen with. Every time I see that she is in something I keep hoping she will prove me wrong, but sadly, she hasn’t. I don’t understand why they keep casting her in things!

• sara_t says:

So, after OITNB was released on Netflix, have you changed your mind? She’s amazing in this role and she has incredible chemistry with Taylor. In fact, she plays the role of Alex so well, I can’t picture anyone else in it.

• tara says:

I’ve been disappointed in most of her performances as well, because I actually find Laura Pepron very likeable. I understand the characters she played after 70s show were not meant to be bubbly, but I feel she’s got to inject more energy and precision into her roles. Most of her lines are delivered the same way and it gets monotonous.

7. Jeff Spaulding says:

Laura Prepon hasn’t been any fun since she dyed her hair blonde.

8. Tony says:

I loved the series. When is season two?