Emmys

Emmys 2012: HBO, Fueled by Game of Thrones, and CBS Lead Early Winners; Smash Pulls Upset

Emmy Winners 2012If this year’s Creative Arts Emmys took place in Westeros, HBO would’ve easily ascended to the Iron Throne.

Fueled by its original series Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, with a little love thrown at the Clive Owen-Nicole Kidman movie Hemingway & Gellhorn to boot, the pay cabler walked away from the evening with 17 total wins, including six for Thrones alone. (Last year, the fantasy saga grabbed gold just twice, even including at the Big Show.)

CBS placed a solid second with 13 wins, including five total for its coverage of the Grammys and Tonys, plus a pair for, yes, Two and a Half Men, where Kathy Bates won for Guest Actress in a Comedy.

In addition to the aforementioned shows, other programs collecting multiple wins included Saturday Night Live and Frozen Planet (with four apiece), Great Expectations (three), and Homeland and Deadliest Catch (which each caught a pair).

Among upsets, Nickelodeon’s The Penguins of Madagascar won Outstanding Animated Series over The Simpsons, and NBC’s Smash bested So You Think You Can Dance for best choreography.

The Creative Arts Emmy Awards will air next Saturday, Sept. 22, on ReelzChannel, and the Primetime Emmy Awards will air Sunday, Sept. 23, on ABC.

Here’s a list of most of the winners. Visit the nice people at goldderby.com for anything you don’t see here.

Casting in a Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Game Change (HBO)
Casting For A Comedy Series | Girls (HBO)

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Jeremy Davies, Justified
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife

Directing For A Variety SeriesSaturday Night Live (NBC)

Writing For A Variety SeriesThe Daily Show (Comedy Central)

Outstanding Variety Special | The Kennedy Center Honors (CBS)

Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | The Walking Dead (AMC)
Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) |
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Makeup For A Miniseries Or A Movie (Non-Prosthetic) |
Hatfields & McCoys (History)
Makeup For A Multi-Camera Series Or Special (Non-Prosthetic) | Dancing With the Stars (ABC)

Costumes For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Masterpiece: Great Expectations (PBS)

Hairstyling For A Miniseries Or A Movie | American Horror Story (FX)
Hairstyling For A Multi-Camera Series Or Special | Saturday Night Live (NBC)

Choreography | Smash (NBC)

Reality Program | Undercover Boss (CBS)

Music Direction | The Kennedy Center Honors (CBS)
Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) | Downton Abbey (PBS)
Music Composition For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (Original Dramatic Score) | Hemingway & Gellhorn (HBO)
Original Music And Lyrics | The 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)

Art Direction For A Multi-Camera Series | 2 Broke Girls (CBS)
Art Direction For A Single-Camera Series | A tie: Boardwalk Empire (HBO) and Game of Thrones (HBO)
Art Direction For Variety or Nonfiction Programming | A tie: The 54th Annual Grammy Awards (CBS) and The 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)

Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series | Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Multi-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series | How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
Picture Editing For Reality Programming | Deadliest Catch (Discovery)

Animated Program | The Penguins of Madagascar (Nickelodeon)
Short-format Animated Program | Regular Show (Cartoon Network)

Voice-over Performance | Maurice LaMarche, Futurama (Comedy Central)

Special Visual Effects | Game of Thrones (HBO)
Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role | Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Stunt Coordination | Southland (TNT)

Main Title Design | Masterpiece: Great Expectations (PBS)
Original Main Title Theme Music | Masterpiece: Page Eight (PBS)

Sound Editing For Nonfiction Programming (Single Or Multi-Camera) | Paul Simon’s Graceland Journey: Under African Skies (A&E)
Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) | Game of Thrones (HBO)
Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) | Modern Family (ABC)
Sound Mixing For A Miniseries Or A Movie | Hatfield & McCoys (History)
Sound Mixing For A Variety Or Music Series Or Special | The 84th Annual Academy Awards (ABC)
Sound Editing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Hemingway & Gellhorn (HBO)
Sound Mixing For Nonfiction Programming | Frozen Planet (BBC/Discovery)
Sound Editing For A Series | Game of Thrones (HBO)

Cinematography For A Multi-Camera Series | Two and a Half Men (CBS)
Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series | Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Cinematography For A Miniseries Or Movie | Masterpiece: Great Expectations (PBS)
Cinematography For Reality Programming |  Deadliest Catch (Discovery)
Cinematography For Nonfiction Programming | Frozen Planet (BBC/Discovery)

Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control For A Series | Saturday Night Live (NBC)

Lighting Design/Lighting Direction For A Variety, Music, Or Comedy Series | So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
Lighting Design/Lighting Direction For A Variety, Music, Or Comedy Special | The 54th Annual Grammy Awards (CBS)

Outstanding Nonfiction Series | Frozen Planet (BBC/Discovery)

Outstanding Special Class Program |  The 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)
Outstanding Special Class Program Short-Format Live-Action Entertainment Program | Childrens Hospital (Cartoon Network)

1. Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yay, HOMELAND!

2. Dan says:

Kathy Bates… WTF? With all the nominees in that guest actress comedy category, how the heck did she end up winning?

3. Mark says:

Really wanted dot marie jones from Glee to win! She really deserved it!

• Jake says:

I could not agree more, dot Marie jones was amazing!

• Carl says:

I feel bad for Dot… she’s great; but on the up side: zero wins for Glee yay!!!!

• CA says:

Nothing like reading a comment that includes petty sour grapes.

• Alex says:

I don’t know if it’s sour grapes when you’re just glad a show isn’t getting awards when it’s as horrible as Glee is. It’s really a good thing they’re not being awarded when they’re still so awful (no continuity, victim-blaming, misogyny, racism, etc). However I hate when the actors are passed up for nominations and awards, as they’re the only thing that make the show even a tiny bit worth watching.

• Jenny says:

It goes with the overall thing with Glee. It enters as a comey but the best moments are dramatic. Dot was fantastic in the abuse storyline but was nominated for a comedy award.

4. Paul Saucier says:

Walking Dead rules!

5. Dan says:

Ugh, American Horror Story won one so far. I so want them to be shut out. It would have hysterical if Jessica Lange (if she even wins) ended up as the only winner from the show.

6. Stephanie says:

Love that Kathy Bates won for playing Charlie Harper- when Charlie Sheen never even won for playing that role.

7. Dan says:

WOW. SYTYCD loses the choreography category! That’s a shock.

• I didn’t even know there was such a category. What was nominated and awarded before Glee and the dancing shows came along?

• Dan says:

Not sure. Perhaps they nominated choreography from award shows or things like the Kennedy Center Honors?

• Margaret says:

the category has actually been around since the 1950s, but recently SYTYCD has been winning most of the awards, pretty surprising to see SMASH win this one, SYTYCD had some great numbers nominated. and when is Travis Wall gonna win a freakin emmy?!

8. Matthew says:

Glad Downton Abbey won for music score. The music is very addicting to listen to.

9. Alan says:

time for the latest list of awards going to undeserving winners, oh joy.

10. mawhi says:

YESSSSS The Kennedy Center Honors should get Best Music Direction. That was amazing.

11. Rachel says:

COME ON SHERLOCK!!

12. Were Nigel & Mary presenting the Choreography award? I mean, if they were, that must’ve been awkward. :/
    Can’t believe SYTYCD lost the award to Smash. Ridiculous. Now I’m convinced Cat Deeley ONCE AGAIN has no shot at winning the best host Emmy.
    Oh, and BTW – enough with Kathy Bates already. She could win an Emmy for guest actress as “dead body #3″ on CSI just for looking extra dead. FFS.

13. Dan says:

Wow at all the ties.

14. MJ says:

Jeremy Davies!!! YAY! He’s perfect as Dickie Bennet
    I’m so glad Justified got some love

• Ari says:

This was pretty much my reaction only when I read his name I stood up and shouted “YAY JEREMY DAVIES” in my best Oprah voice, which I usually reserve for shouting, “ELIJAHHHHHH” Every time Daniel Gillies is on screen during the Vampire Diaries.

• Eliza says:

Completely agree with you MJ.
      Yay Jeremy Davies!! He is fantastic on Justified.
      Which is one of my favorite shows.

15. forwarddad says:

Sytycd screwed with loser NBC winning

16. Kai says:

Game of Thrones with 4 already. Yay.

• Dan says:

Wish GoT would kick butt at the regular Emmys. I figure this is the year it has the best chance of winning anything. The more magic it features in the future, the less it’s chance is of winning an Emmy.

• Alex says:

I think it’s kind of ridiculous that Game of Thrones collects so few acting nominations. If the entire adult cast of Modern Family can rack up nominations, surely we can throw a couple at Lena Headey and Maisie Williams.

17. Britta Unfiltered says:

I didn’t realize these were tonight. Jeremy Davies won for Justified?? That’s fantastic! He was my dream pick! But I didn’t have him picked to really win at all, I thought it was going to be Dylan Baker. A lot of people are going to be mad it wasn’t Mark Margolis, I’m guessing. But I don’t think Jeremy Davies was any less deserving than Margolis. He has always been so good on Justified. Now am I right or am I damn right?
    So Kathy Bates took it for 2 1/2 Men. I had her in the no. 2 spot, but I was really hoping it would go to Melissa McCarthy. Freaking 2 1/2 Men. Get that show off the air.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

And Jimmy Fallon I also did not have picked. I kind of was rooting for Jon Hamm there but thought Michael J. Fox might take it. I think the double guest nominations for Fox hurt his chances.
      Okay, I must do it one final time. Banjo!!!!

18. Truefan says:

Kathy Bates is a talented and versatile actor. Horray for her!

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

I guess I’d have to see the episode of Boardwalk Empire that was nominated for cinematography again. It’s been too long since I’ve seen that season, but I am really bummed The Phantom episode of Mad Men didn’t win that. That episode was gorgeous. Breaking Bad would have been my 2nd choice. Kinda bummed Louis C.K. didn’t win for editing a comic series. I basically want Louis C.K. to win for everything he is nominated for, which is many, many things.

20. PenguinFan says:

YES! Penguins of Madagascar is one of the best cartoon shows out there today! They deserve that win! I mean seriously, have any of you heard the songs in “The Return Revenge of Dr.Blowhole?” They’re great!

• dickawesome says:

Have you ever actually seen Legend of Korra? Having any show in the animation department win against auch an impeccable show is an insult to critics everywhere. THERE IS NO BETTER animated series, whether based on soundtrack, edIting or story, that could possibly compare to the likes of Korra, which may have had the best arc out of any drama series out there period (and yea, and I’m looking at YOUR stellar seasons, Breaking
      Bad & Mad Men)

That being said, are you seriously suggesting that some dreamcrap off shoot take the award? Pathetic. It just makes me realize that Emmy voters simply vote based on brand when it comes to creative arts.

Can’t believe Korra was so snubbed.

• dickawesome says:

And I just have to reiterate again, fraking Penguins??? Of Madagascar???? Absolute absurdity.

Trash. Trash. Trash.

Sorry to the creators of Korra who put so much forward only to be snubbed by voters of DreamWorks, the Samsung copy cat of the animation world.

• Alan says:

glad someone else knows good cartoons, i didnt like the film so i never intended to watch the show but i caught one by accident and i was hooked straight away.
      really dont understand all this legend of korra crap that being thrown at you, its a poor sequel to an average show from what i see

21. jasie says:

Aw really wanted Jean Smart to win for Harrys Law.

22. Deena says:

SO EXCITED FOR MARTHA PLIMPTON!!! She is so great with her recurring role on The Good Wife. Nice to see such a wonderful actress get some love. Hope she gets another this year for Raising Hope.

23. Rrrrrr says:

Absolute blasphemy that Adventure Time lost to Penguins of Madagascar. Wtf. I’m 23 and I know that that sucks major cow balls

24. Jason says:

Walking Deaaaadddddddd

25. James says:

Once Upon a Time!

26. TMW says:

I’m still pissed that Carrie Preston wasn’t even nominated for her superb appearances on The Good Wife.

Glad SNL and Jimmy Fallon won awards for their Christmas show last year-it was wonderful. I loved the Beethoven sketch.

• Dan says:

Carrie was fantastic on the Good Wife. Hopefully with 4 appearances this year she’ll be able to get that nomination for next year’s Emmys. Fingers crossed.

• Lucy says:

Same here. But I also loved Martha, I think she was great! Specially with Fox. They are the DREAM TEAM! (:

27. Kat says:

Breaking Bad should have won for best cinematography and best editing (I was really pulling for Kelley Dixon!). Homeland is a good show, but Breaking Bad the better season in all respects.

28. P says:

Original Music And Lyrics | The 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)” Really? How/Why did this win? Smash should have won.

29. Val says:

Girls for casting? Really? Everyone on that show is Lena’s bff or her family’s bff. The characters are probably written with people in mind already, the majority of them already played those exact characters in her movie Tiny Furniture.

Quite frankly, that show would be a lot better if Lena wasn’t playing the main character herself, she is pretty terrible and not as quirky and funny as she wishes she was.

• dickawesome says:

While the likeness to Tiny Furntiure is noticeable, the show stands on its own and was well cast despite the outcry. As far as casting goes, it was a well deserved win.

• While Girls, as a comedy, isn’t as funny as Community, Louie or even Modern Family, I feel that Lena Dunham’s world feels authentic and brutally honest to the point of being overly harsh. I wish it was a high school show instead, where I feel that every depiction of teen life always focused on romance and big family issues and never really nailed this feeling of isolation I had growing up where no one is out to help you, not friends, family, teachers, co-workers, bosses, not anyone. It might be depressing and unfunny, but it’s pulled off well.

30. Liz says:

Nothing for True Blood?!

31. Yaz says:

Cinematography for Two and a Half Men??!! Wtf? A million film student tears are being shed right now.

32. asd25 says:

I wouldn’t have wanted to be among the ones that judged the casting award. Such an incredibly difficult choice. Homeland, The Good Wife, and Game of Thrones are so perfectly casted that I wouldn’t know how to find a winner among those shows. Bravo to all of them!

33. Kelsey says:

I’m really disappointed that Game of Thrones didn’t win best score. I love Downton Abbey and its music but it’s nowhere near GoT. The score can really drive its episodes; each area has it’s own theme, and the score is so unique and complex. UGH

34. Trent says:

YAY! for Jimmy Fallon! I love his show but it will never win in the regular Emmys against the Daily Show juggernaut (nothing else ever does). So I’m happy that he won for his fantastic hosting of SNL. And Smash’s win is well-deserved — despite what you may think of the show in general, the music and choreography were consistently excellent.

35. lll says:

Sad that Person of Interest didn’t win best sound mixing for one hour comedy or drama. Glad that Downton Abbey and Hatfield & McCoys won something.

36. nick1372 says:

Homeland deserves the casting award 100%.

Undercover Boss, really? It’s OK, but Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution deserved that award.

Wow. Usually the Emmys and I are on great terms (Modern Family fan here), but today there are only 2 or 3 shows that I watched and thought they deserved that award.

37. Jenna says:

So happy to see Jeremy Davies and Martha Plimpton win!

38. Alexis says:

How in heaven’s name did Mark Margolis NOT win for Breaking Bad? I mean, c’mon!

39. js says:

just to point out, you have an error in your list above. Sound Mixing For Nonfiction Programming | Frozen Planet (BBC/Discovery). – i think you meant sound “editing”. i wish frozen planet *had* won for sound mixing though, because then my friend’s husband would have an emmy, and that would have been cool…