Big Bang Theory Boss Confirms: Bent Bad Girl Is Leonard's New Romantic Interest

The Big Bang Theory‘s Penny might want to truly revisit her feelings for Leonard and quick, because a bad girl from NBC’s Bent is about to enter the scientist’s orbit.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Big Bang Theory and 46 Other Returning Shows!

On the red carpet for tonight’s Creative Arts Emmys Awards (airing Sept. 22 on Reelz), where Big Bang is up for two of its five total nominations, show boss Bill Prady confirmed that Margo Harshman, who played “Screwsie” on the Peacock’s short-lived comedy, has been cast as Sheldon’s new assistant, Alex.

It is not Amy Farrah Fowler, though, who should fret over the introduction of this saucy brunette, but Penny, seeing as Alex quickly hits it off with Leonard and in doing so “may create a little tension” for the off-and-on couple, exec producer Steve Molaro said in our Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular.

RELATED | Hot Video: A Big Bang Theory Couple in Crisis?

Prior to her run on (all six episodes of the sadly snuffed) Bent, Harshman guested on shows such as House, $#*! My Dad Says and Modern Family. News of her Big Bang gig was first revealed via her Facebook fan group.

CBS’ The Big Bang Theory opens Season 6 on Thursday, Sept. 27.

1. Ben says:

Loved her in Bent (which was surprisingly good, shame it was only six episodes), great to see her join the cast (for how many episodes?) Hopefully she’ll give the show a boost, as I felt it struggled last season. Not sure how I feel about her getting in the way of Penny and Leonard though.

• Joe says:

I don’t get why everybody was down on last season. Other than the wedding, which was poorly done and Sheldon’s weird hair, it was pretty consistent with past seasons.

In fact, I would argue that their 100th episode (where Leonard asks Penny out again) was one of the five best the show has ever done.

• Ben says:

I agree about the 100th episode that was very well done, I still think the season was subpar as a whole though, it still had it’s highlights but overall something felt off.

• Balaji K says:

Somewhere in the fifth season, the show stopped being funny. IMHO, most of the fifth season was unfunny except for the season finale.

2. ace says:

She’s always fun to watch, and Penny could use a wake-up call. Bring it on. (-:

• Patrick says:

I agree. I love Penny, but she uses Leonard and only makes him suffer.She shouldn’t mistreat him just because he’s different from the guys she usually go out!!!

3. Matt says:

I’ve had a crush on her since Even Stevens. Those that don’t know that show you are either too old, too young, or dead to me.

4. Dan says:

Does this mean that the only really intresting couple on BBT can finally get it on? Penny & Sheldon of course!

One can only dream… I just think the show would be alot more fun if those two was end game. Leonard is just boring & whiny.

• kirbyderby says:

Yes yes yes yes yes! :D Shenny ftw.

• liddad says:

NOOO! What makes everyone love the Sheldon-Penny back and forth is that they always have really clever comments to make to each other, but there’s always a situation between them even in the best scenes (The “old married couple” scene, the Cristmas scene, the Penny Blossom production).
      If they were to talk about their relationship the conversations would get dull and nowhere near as funny or interesting to watch. The fact that it’s totally plutonic just makes it better!

• Balaji K says:

Penny-Leonard relationship is boring. I have no idea why the writers revisit that part of the show; not sure who’s interested in their relationship. I certainly am not. I think this stems from the fact that Penny is the hot girl in the show who they are trying to pair with who I consider a sidekick because Sheldon and not Leonard, is the heart and soul of the show.

• Justin says:

Penny and Sheldon?!! You must be kidding?!! That is a total bullcrap idea!! There is now way those two will ever hook up and it should stay that way. Heck, the idea of a woman even liking him as a boyfriend is ludicrous enough. The guy is such a freaking enigma! Sometimes I don’t get what Amy sees in him, but it works and I definitely see that, especially when Sheldon held Amy’s hand just out of instinct in the finale. Leonard and Penny, despite his “whining”, works but is still a work in progress.

• Balaji K says:

Like Leonard is a super guy who any girl will fall for. Penny, Priya and now Alex. I’m not saying this because Leonard is a nerd, he’s just unlikable. So, if we think about plausibility, even Leonard-Penny relationship falls flat, not to forget it’s plain boring.

• Justin says:

Yes, Leonard and Penny is a far reach, but a much better one than Penny and Sheldon. By the way, he’s not unlikeable to me. I actually think he’s a decent guy with bad luck when it comes to women. Nothing boring about that.

• Anthea says:

No. Sheldon belongs with Amy. And even if she was written out on the show, Sheldon and Penny have comedic and vitriolic chemistry. That does not translate to romance.

• mickie says:

I am with you!!! I think Penny and Sheldon are destined to end up together!!
      Leonard is fine BUT……..I have said from the beginning P&S should end
      up as a couple!! I loved the time when he was so overcome with the napkin gift
      that he hugged her!!

5. Stormy says:

Obliterate Amy Farrah Fowler!

6. Hojana says:

Bent was awesome. Can’t wait to see her on big bang. Perfect casting.

7. I hope @billprady can stay off @Twitter long enough and actually make a interesting season this year!

8. liddad says:

Ugh, I’ve stopped caring about who gets with who. In the latest season:
    1) The only things Raj said were jokes at his expense about being “metrosexual” (as he likes to put it). He got very 1-dimentional
    2) The only things Amy Farrah Fowler has said were either dirty comments about Sheldon or Penny (The penny thing is overdone now) and a few scientific comments when the girls hang out in Penny’s apartment.
    3) Penny has lost all personality traits in this show apart from drinking a lot. Whatever happened to the hopeful waitress that we all grew to love in seasons 1-3? She just seems to be there so that Leonard has someone to date now.

Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Bernadette have actually been interesting, but whoever writes the scenes between Howard & Bernadette needs to realise that after 5 seasons of a show, people don’t need to see jokes in every other sentence. You can actually just have a nice, romantic scene between a couple, without any jokes. Nobody would be annoyed. It’s what made the wedding so dull. They could have every girl crying at the vows without all the arguing going on throughout the ceremony, and jokes still would have worked in the scene, as long as they were “cutesy”.
    And I’m saying that as a Heterosexual male. Even though I prefer to laugh, those non-funny but “cute” scenes are critical in getting the audience to actually believe in a couple, instead of going “they’re a couple, just accept it”.

• Michael says:

Thank you….I thought I was the only one who loves this show less and less….So with this new girl hot for Leonard I just ask what is up with the premise of this show…Hot girl, nerdy but lovable neighbors…Now Leonard is the lady killer and Penny is a loser who sits at home and pines for him? Oh well…Sheldon and A.F.F are good, but Howard is not what he was when it was he and Raj out trying to score….I know shows have to change to not get stale, I just think they went the wrong way with a show that was absolutely perfect seasons 2 thru 4…We’ll see what they do with this season…

• Hojana says:

The Klingon High Council does not approve!

9. Nicholas says:

Gotta love Margo! Louis and Tawny were so adorable.

10. Nicholas says:

OMG! I’m the creator of that group by the way! haha!

11. Ella says:

Frankly, I’d rather see Leonard with ANYONE other than Penny. She clearly isn’t as invested in him as he is in her and only really happens to have an epiphany about her highly fickle feelings when he is happy with someone else. They’re better off as friends, and she is more likeable when they’re not together anyway. Sheldon/Penny should be end game.

12. Gretchen says:

Penny’s character offers nothing to the show or to Leonard or Sheldon–she’s still stuck as a waitress with NO growth, a user of the guys, all she has to offer are her looks. Boring, A guy like Leonard, brilliant, would be bored with a woman like Penny.

13. laura says:

having another hot girl on the show apart from penny is taking the big bang theory away from the original show its meant to be. There’s only room for one hot girl next door who falls for a geek and that’s penny. It’s all too far fetched, I just hope the writers and going to make somewhat good and reasonable story from this. It’s not the big bang theory if more characters are as intelligent as penny so I hope this new character will have their own and unique personality like all the regular characters that we know and love.

14. Gary Jones says:

Still can’t believe Bent was canned. It was very funny and Amanda Peet was a treat to watch.

As for Margo’s character I didn’t see her as another “hottie” on the show. She’s certainly cute but she is also the female version of Sheldon and one of the geek squad. I can see her with Leonard, Makes a lot more sense than him with Penny. I agree that Penny’s career needs some changes. It would be a good sidebar story line for her to go on additions, maybe get a gig a la Joey on Friends.

BBT is the geek version of Friends and just as charming, but we need them to get out of the apartment and interact with “normal” people. That’s where the show gets really funny.

15. cgguy says:

ssssssssssuppppppppppperrrrrrrrrrrrr awesssssssssssommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee :D

16. Batmanthe26th says:

WTF!? IT’S STILL A GREAT SHOW SO YA’LL SHOULD SHUT THE EFF UP!