Big Bang Theory Boss Confirms: Bent Bad Girl Is Leonard's New Romantic Interest

Get More: Casting News

The Big Bang Theory‘s Penny might want to truly revisit her feelings for Leonard and quick, because a bad girl from NBC’s Bent is about to enter the scientist’s orbit.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Big Bang Theory and 46 Other Returning Shows!

On the red carpet for tonight’s Creative Arts Emmys Awards (airing Sept. 22 on Reelz), where Big Bang is up for two of its five total nominations, show boss Bill Prady confirmed that Margo Harshman, who played “Screwsie” on the Peacock’s short-lived comedy, has been cast as Sheldon’s new assistant, Alex.

It is not Amy Farrah Fowler, though, who should fret over the introduction of this saucy brunette, but Penny, seeing as Alex quickly hits it off with Leonard and in doing so “may create a little tension” for the off-and-on couple, exec producer Steve Molaro said in our Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular.

RELATED | Hot Video: A Big Bang Theory Couple in Crisis?

Prior to her run on (all six episodes of the sadly snuffed) Bent, Harshman guested on shows such as House, $#*! My Dad Says and Modern Family. News of her Big Bang gig was first revealed via her Facebook fan group.

CBS’ The Big Bang Theory opens Season 6 on Thursday, Sept. 27.

Comments (39)

• Loved her in Bent (which was surprisingly good, shame it was only six episodes), great to see her join the cast (for how many episodes?) Hopefully she’ll give the show a boost, as I felt it struggled last season. Not sure how I feel about her getting in the way of Penny and Leonard though.

Comment by Ben – September 15, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get why everybody was down on last season. Other than the wedding, which was poorly done and Sheldon’s weird hair, it was pretty consistent with past seasons.

In fact, I would argue that their 100th episode (where Leonard asks Penny out again) was one of the five best the show has ever done.

Comment by Joe – September 15, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree about the 100th episode that was very well done, I still think the season was subpar as a whole though, it still had it’s highlights but overall something felt off.

Comment by Ben – September 15, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Somewhere in the fifth season, the show stopped being funny. IMHO, most of the fifth season was unfunny except for the season finale.

Comment by Balaji K – September 15, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s always fun to watch, and Penny could use a wake-up call. Bring it on. (-:

Comment by ace – September 15, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love Penny, but she uses Leonard and only makes him suffer.She shouldn’t mistreat him just because he’s different from the guys she usually go out!!!

Comment by Patrick – October 9, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve had a crush on her since Even Stevens. Those that don’t know that show you are either too old, too young, or dead to me.

Comment by Matt – September 15, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT’S where I recognized her from. Thank you! haha It was driving me crazy.

Comment by Whitney – September 15, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude!!! Dead to me is pretty harsh…..I’ve heard of it though.

Comment by P. Jonesie – September 15, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First thing I though when I saw her was “TAWNY!!!”

Comment by Jane – September 15, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always forget that’s where I know her from, every time I see her I instantly recognise her but I can never remember what I first saw her in, only remembering the latest thing.

Comment by guestofseth – September 15, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! haha she was awesome. I didn’t recognize her from that photo, but once i read your comment i knew :D she was great as Tawny! man, if i knew she was in Bent i would have watched! I’m definitely excited about this news now.

Comment by zan – September 15, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! She will always be Tawny to me!

Comment by Lee – September 15, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean that the only really intresting couple on BBT can finally get it on? Penny & Sheldon of course!

One can only dream… I just think the show would be alot more fun if those two was end game. Leonard is just boring & whiny.

Comment by Dan – September 15, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes yes yes yes yes! :D Shenny ftw.

Comment by kirbyderby – September 15, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOO! What makes everyone love the Sheldon-Penny back and forth is that they always have really clever comments to make to each other, but there’s always a situation between them even in the best scenes (The “old married couple” scene, the Cristmas scene, the Penny Blossom production).
      If they were to talk about their relationship the conversations would get dull and nowhere near as funny or interesting to watch. The fact that it’s totally plutonic just makes it better!

Comment by liddad – September 15, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Penny-Leonard relationship is boring. I have no idea why the writers revisit that part of the show; not sure who’s interested in their relationship. I certainly am not. I think this stems from the fact that Penny is the hot girl in the show who they are trying to pair with who I consider a sidekick because Sheldon and not Leonard, is the heart and soul of the show.

Comment by Balaji K – September 15, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I think that penny and sheldon are the true stars of the show, without them the show would be boring.

Comment by Ronald Coleman – February 21, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Penny and Sheldon?!! You must be kidding?!! That is a total bullcrap idea!! There is now way those two will ever hook up and it should stay that way. Heck, the idea of a woman even liking him as a boyfriend is ludicrous enough. The guy is such a freaking enigma! Sometimes I don’t get what Amy sees in him, but it works and I definitely see that, especially when Sheldon held Amy’s hand just out of instinct in the finale. Leonard and Penny, despite his “whining”, works but is still a work in progress.

Comment by Justin – September 15, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like Leonard is a super guy who any girl will fall for. Penny, Priya and now Alex. I’m not saying this because Leonard is a nerd, he’s just unlikable. So, if we think about plausibility, even Leonard-Penny relationship falls flat, not to forget it’s plain boring.

Comment by Balaji K – September 16, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, Leonard and Penny is a far reach, but a much better one than Penny and Sheldon. By the way, he’s not unlikeable to me. I actually think he’s a decent guy with bad luck when it comes to women. Nothing boring about that.

Comment by Justin – September 16, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Sheldon belongs with Amy. And even if she was written out on the show, Sheldon and Penny have comedic and vitriolic chemistry. That does not translate to romance.

Comment by Anthea – September 16, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you!!! I think Penny and Sheldon are destined to end up together!!
      Leonard is fine BUT……..I have said from the beginning P&S should end
      up as a couple!! I loved the time when he was so overcome with the napkin gift
      that he hugged her!!

Comment by mickie – October 4, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obliterate Amy Farrah Fowler!

Comment by Stormy – September 15, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent was awesome. Can’t wait to see her on big bang. Perfect casting.

Comment by Hojana – September 15, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope @billprady can stay off @Twitter long enough and actually make a interesting season this year!

Comment by J JACKSON (@J13Jackson) – September 15, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I’ve stopped caring about who gets with who. In the latest season:
    1) The only things Raj said were jokes at his expense about being “metrosexual” (as he likes to put it). He got very 1-dimentional
    2) The only things Amy Farrah Fowler has said were either dirty comments about Sheldon or Penny (The penny thing is overdone now) and a few scientific comments when the girls hang out in Penny’s apartment.
    3) Penny has lost all personality traits in this show apart from drinking a lot. Whatever happened to the hopeful waitress that we all grew to love in seasons 1-3? She just seems to be there so that Leonard has someone to date now.

Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Bernadette have actually been interesting, but whoever writes the scenes between Howard & Bernadette needs to realise that after 5 seasons of a show, people don’t need to see jokes in every other sentence. You can actually just have a nice, romantic scene between a couple, without any jokes. Nobody would be annoyed. It’s what made the wedding so dull. They could have every girl crying at the vows without all the arguing going on throughout the ceremony, and jokes still would have worked in the scene, as long as they were “cutesy”.
    And I’m saying that as a Heterosexual male. Even though I prefer to laugh, those non-funny but “cute” scenes are critical in getting the audience to actually believe in a couple, instead of going “they’re a couple, just accept it”.

Comment by liddad – September 15, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you….I thought I was the only one who loves this show less and less….So with this new girl hot for Leonard I just ask what is up with the premise of this show…Hot girl, nerdy but lovable neighbors…Now Leonard is the lady killer and Penny is a loser who sits at home and pines for him? Oh well…Sheldon and A.F.F are good, but Howard is not what he was when it was he and Raj out trying to score….I know shows have to change to not get stale, I just think they went the wrong way with a show that was absolutely perfect seasons 2 thru 4…We’ll see what they do with this season…

Comment by Michael – September 15, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Klingon High Council does not approve!

Comment by Hojana – September 16, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TAWNY!!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – September 15, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta love Margo! Louis and Tawny were so adorable.

Comment by Nicholas – September 15, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I’m the creator of that group by the way! haha!

Comment by Nicholas – September 15, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly, I’d rather see Leonard with ANYONE other than Penny. She clearly isn’t as invested in him as he is in her and only really happens to have an epiphany about her highly fickle feelings when he is happy with someone else. They’re better off as friends, and she is more likeable when they’re not together anyway. Sheldon/Penny should be end game.

Comment by Ella – September 16, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Penny’s character offers nothing to the show or to Leonard or Sheldon–she’s still stuck as a waitress with NO growth, a user of the guys, all she has to offer are her looks. Boring, A guy like Leonard, brilliant, would be bored with a woman like Penny.

Comment by Gretchen – September 17, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you completely. Actually, I never understood what his interest, past the first infatuation, was all about.

Comment by TJ – November 24, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • having another hot girl on the show apart from penny is taking the big bang theory away from the original show its meant to be. There’s only room for one hot girl next door who falls for a geek and that’s penny. It’s all too far fetched, I just hope the writers and going to make somewhat good and reasonable story from this. It’s not the big bang theory if more characters are as intelligent as penny so I hope this new character will have their own and unique personality like all the regular characters that we know and love.

Comment by laura – September 24, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still can’t believe Bent was canned. It was very funny and Amanda Peet was a treat to watch.

As for Margo’s character I didn’t see her as another “hottie” on the show. She’s certainly cute but she is also the female version of Sheldon and one of the geek squad. I can see her with Leonard, Makes a lot more sense than him with Penny. I agree that Penny’s career needs some changes. It would be a good sidebar story line for her to go on additions, maybe get a gig a la Joey on Friends.

BBT is the geek version of Friends and just as charming, but we need them to get out of the apartment and interact with “normal” people. That’s where the show gets really funny.

Comment by Gary Jones – October 14, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ssssssssssuppppppppppperrrrrrrrrrrrr awesssssssssssommmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee :D

Comment by cgguy – November 24, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF!? IT’S STILL A GREAT SHOW SO YA’LL SHOULD SHUT THE EFF UP!

Comment by Batmanthe26th – November 30, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post