Ratings: X Factor Dips, Glee Up from Finale

Glee Season 4 Premiere RatingsThere was a certain degree of Glee to be found in the numbers for the Fox dramedy’s Season 4 premiere, which also marked its Thursday time slot debut.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s Glee Premiere Recap: Vexed in the City

With 8.1 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating, Glee was, yes, down 12 and 17 percent from its Season 3 opener, which aired on a Tuesday. But versus that season’s finale, the show rose 8 and 14 percent.

Plus, with regards to the brand-new time slot, Glee‘s demo rating matched what Bones‘ Season 7 premiere did leading out of X Factor last fall. And Glee built on its X Factor lead-in.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: No TV Show for Old Men

Speaking of X Factor, Part 2 of its two-night Season 2 premiere drew 8.4 million viewers and a 3.1 demo rating, dipping just 4 and 9 percent from Wednesday’s opening night.

The two-hour America’s Got Talent season finale (10.5 million viewers, 2.4 rating) trailed Fox’s programming in the demo but easily won the night in total audience (and bested X Factor and Glee in head-to-head competition). That said, it was AGT‘s lowest-rated finale ever.

NEXT THURSDAY: Up All Night, Parks and Recreation and The Office return.

1. Amanda says:

While the number is good for Glee, it honestly didn’t have much competition for the night. It’ll be very interesting to see it’s numbers once more Thursday night staples are back.

• Ally Oop says:

I also wonder how the show will do when the heavy-hitters return to the other networks in the next few weeks. Holy hanna Thursday is such a packed night for me–Grey’s, Big Bang, Vampire Diaries plus newcomers Last Resort and Beauty and the Beast. X-Factir also comes on that night. Someone’s gonna get clobbered in the ratings. So glad I have a DVR and Timeshift but unfortunately I have to share it with my husband so I might have to drop a show or two from my line-up. If I had to wager a guess, Beauty and the Beast will bite the dust first and Glee will suffer too. Last Resort could go either way.

2. Jason says:

I grade the Glee season opener: A+ for new eye-candy. Brody and Jake? Who needs music or dialogue? More importantly, where have these two hotties been all our lives?

3. Julie says:

I had read teh Glee was preempted by football in Chicago, one of the largest markets. There might have been another city, too, but I cna’t recall. My quesiton is — would that have impacted the numbers?

• Betty says:

I live in Chicago, Glee was on and so was X-Factor. The Bears/Packers game(? ) was on another local, non-network station. Just wanted to let you know.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

GLEE was only pre-empted in the Milwaukee market, which Fox says accounts for “less than 1% of the country and should have little to no impact.”

• Chelle says:

Of course FOX would say that. Didn’t stop them from losing a few tenths and viewers to go down to 3.1 and 7.4 mil. And that’s without any competition. Nice try on the positive spin though.

4. ano says:

it’s definitely too early to tell what’s the glee number are gonna be like through the entire season, but it’s a nice surprise that the demo is better than x factor. last night premiere was great though, i really enjoyed it

5. TVMovieLove says:

I’m glad Glee did so well last night. I hope the ratings stay where they are or get even better!

6. Amy says:

The real question is how will it do in a few weeks up against Greys and once the regular viewers figure out that there favs are not returning.

• nosi says:

actually in the next few episode some the graduates are coming back. puck in episode2, finn in episode 3, santana in episode4, mike and mercedes in episode 5 and i’m sure ryan said quinn will be back in thanksgiving episode.

• l says:

Well that’s the thing, the regulars are returning. Next wk Santana and by episode 5 the rest will be back. Mike and Mercedes are gonna be regulars in like episode 3 or 4 or 5. Puck will prov show up once I’m a while along w one other. The originals are coming back tho.
      However ur right, the ratings will go down prob when Grey’s, the office, the comedy shows, and everything comes back.its got a tough competition starting 2 weeks from now…

7. the girl says:

I watched it last night because Grey’s wasn’t on. In a few weeks there’s no way I’m watching Glee live. I imagine I’m not the only one who feels that way.

8. Emily says:

Marley, Cassandra and Burt made the episode for me. Not sure what to make of that…

9. nelee says:

good to hear that glee did well; excited to watch it once finn hudson is back

10. Beth says:

It won’t be the same until Finn is back on every episode and finds his way back to Rachel! Greys for drama Glee for comedy but if all Glee gives me is drama I’m gone.

11. Kaby says:

Glee isn’t Glee without Finn. He trended over and over last night. People are looking for him. I have a feeling ratings will jump when he’s introduced again.

• Becky says:

it sucks that that is true… cause Finn is the least interesting character on the entire show…

• Chelle says:

Only to narrow-minded people who refuse to see past the jock label. The least interesting person on the show is Rachel because you always know that she’ll be a spoiled little brat who will get what she wants in the end by cheating and making everyone feel sorry for her pathetic ass. Can’t wait to see Rachel Berry sink the show.

12. Mercedes says:

Glee is a sinking ship, and once Grey’s Anatomy and Person of Interest are back, they can torpedo their ratings to the abyss.

13. Craig says:

As long as youre comparing to Bones, It’s important to note, that Bones premiered vs premieres on three other nets. Glee premiered vs. reruns on CBS/ABC. Glee numbers still look better than finale. X Factor had over a 4.0 in its Thu premiere last year against premieres, so unlike Glee it had little competition and was down a point

14. GK says:

If anybody thinks Glee can hold itself in the coming weeks against last season’s best debut show which had mammoth ratings – Person of Interest and the returning big hitter – Grey’s Anatomy, they’re kidding themselves. X-Factor was alright, but I won’t be tuning in regularly.

15. A says:

I love Glee but it’s gonna be screwed once Grey’s Anatomy premieres.

16. zeth says:

Finn should have gotten the boot camp storyline and maybe liven up the show and get away from the broadway crap cory is the best actor in my opinion and has been given nothing to do and ryan could have made the finchel storyline a lot more interesting but writing people apart is easier then together the new guy makes me feel like i was forced to either take it or leave it. leaving a bitter taste in my mouth if the actor playing him didnt have his pr team blatantly promoting him and playing games with the glee community i might have given the role a chance it isnt the character i object to it was the guy they picked to play him.