A Parenthood Coming Out? Who Is Dressing Xtina? TV's Best 'What If' Episode? And More Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The New Normal, Parenthood, The X Factor and Glee!

1 | Does Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta ever feature brides older than 23? Is there some kind of age limit on this show that we don’t know about?

2 | Shouldn’t/couldn’t ABC have given Sunday’s Once Upon a Time marathon — or at least the encores of the pilot or finale — a “pop-up video” treatment a la Lost?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl, Fringe, Glee, Justified, Once Upon and More

3 | Did Drop Dead Diva‘s finale twist — the real Jane gets transported into Owen’s body — jump the shark?

4 | Have you found yourself sucked into TLC’s surprisingly fascinating Breaking Amish?

5 | Did you want to go make-up-free after watching the ladies of The Talk bare their natural selves on Monday’s show? Julie Chen just needed a ponytail and she could have passed herself off as a college student!

6 | Switched at Birth‘s Simone is in AA?! Did you see that one coming?

7 | How did you think the Church of Dianetics faked Connor’s blood test on The L.A. Complex? Bribe? Inside man?

8 | For the love of sloppily exposed cleavage, who is Christina Aguilera’s stylist on The Voice, and what has the pop tart done to incur this person’s wrath? Moving on to another coach: If this whole country music thing doesn’t work out, wouldn’t Blake Shelton make an incredible sitcom star in the vein of Reba McEntire?

9 | Are you worried that NBC’s The New Normal might be moving a little too quickly? It’s great to keep things hopping, but in this week’s episode, Goldie and Shania moved in and out of the guest house in a matter of minutes! (At this pace, the baby will be applying to college before the end of Season 1.) And shouldn’t Nana pace herself, lest she run out of crude epithets to lob at the boys and Rocky?

PHOTOS | Exclusive Scoop on 47 Returning Favorites!

Go On10 | It’s early yet, sure, but couldn’t Go On afford to lose the creepy bearded group member? Is he there to be anything but creepy, and bearded?

11 | Is Parenthood‘s imminent Amy/Drew breakup setting the stage for Drew’s long-overdue coming out arc? Also, how many Kleenexes did you burn through watching the airport scene at the end? Lastly, the beautiful family portrait that the Bravermans posed for — why again is that photo not available on NBC’s press site? Did no one think to actually capture it with a real camera?

12 | Wasn’t Covert Affairs double agent Lena’s bid to finish off Annie a bit clumsy? Whatever happened to a discreet, simple injection of something into the IV line?

13 | Wasn’t it refreshing to see White Collar‘s Peter epically screw up for once, condemning Neal for doing something he never actually said he wouldn’t do?

14 | Couldn’t Katie Couric, who’s interviewed all the big names over the years, find anyone buzzier than Jessica Simpson and Sheryl Crow to launch Katie? On the plus side, wasn’t it a nice surprise to see her onetime Today cohost Matt Lauer be a good sport in the premiere’s cold open?

15 | Didn’t General Hospital‘s location scenes look great this week? Timeslot move, schlimeshot move — the soap is kicking tail.

RELATED | Fall Preview Headquarters — Video, Photos, Schedules & More!

16 | How in the world did So You Think You Can Dance‘s Eliana not light herself on fire with the friction she must’ve amassed during those gravity-defying spins at the end of her number with Tiffany? (We hope you had some Aquaphor in the dressing room, honey.) Also, was Nigel Lythgoe’s jarring, oddly timed “I can’t vote for you” speech to Cyrus A) a cynical way to activate the untrained animator’s voting base, B) a response to critics who’ve claimed the judges have gone too easy on the guy all season, or C) a genuine admission that Chehon is the rightful winner on the men’s side of the competition? And when in the heck is Fox going to announce the show has been renewed for a 10th season? If they don’t, we’re all going to get together with brickbats and torches and storm their HQ, yes?

17 | Isn’t it curious that The X Factor spent so much time showing the trainwreck audition from Britney Spears’ former duet partner Don Philip, yet edited out what he claims was a segment where he came out as being gay? And why does Brit’s facial expression always look confused even when she’s smiling or impressed?

Glee18 | Patty confronting her father in the Damages finale — Glenn Close’s finest four minutes of acting ever? Also, with the final extended Close-up, did anyone flash back to this?

19 | What’s the point of The Glee Project if its winners have failed to impress on the mothership show while Glee‘s new Season 4 regulars were all pretty solid in the premiere and cast via the regular methods? Meanwhile, Glee fan Linds asks: “I really didn’t mind it but seriously, at what high school are teens jumping rope?!”

RELATED | Glee Season Premiere Recap: Vexed in the City

20 | Did Dmitry’s win in this week’s Project Runway challenge make up for the judges’ season-long snubs, or are you still carrying residual resentment for the way he’s been minimized up to this point in the competition?

Buffy21 | Awkward‘s fun “What If” episode has us wondering: What’s your favorite alt-universe episode of a TV show? Can anything top Buffy’s “The Wish”?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Alex says:

I don’t really think it makes sense for Drew to be gay on Parenthood. I’m all for having a gay character on the show, and if he had come out before he starting dating Amy I would have been fine with it, but now that they’ve established him as liking girls I feel like it would seem like it betrayed the character and not be believable.

• Ann says:

I don’t think every show needs to have a gay character. But you’re right, it wouldn’t be believable to his character to all of the sudden like boys. They’ve been playing him as a shy kid who likes girls. It’s sweet, actually, to see a young boy portrayed in such a vulnerable way. I don’t think they need to change his character. If they do at this point, then they’d only be doing it just to have a gay character, which would be dumb.

• JustMy2Cents says:

I have to say I disagree – though I see your point. Many young teenagers are not comfortable to come out, and feel they have to be “normal” and try and maintain a relationship with the opposite sex. They may even feel a true connection and mistake it for something romantic. How do I know this? I did it.

• Sara says:

but just because that’s your experience doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening or should be happening here. i think this is a kid who is trying to be normal and maintain a relationship with a person of the opposite sex, not because he’s in denial of his sexuality, but because he has had no role models for a healthy relationship and has been pushed into a situation from fairly early on of having to help protect and take care of his mother.

• JustMy2Cents says:

I didn’t say Drew should be gay or is gay or needs to be portrayed gay… I’m just saying it could be believable.

• AriesMatt says:

There is a LOT of pressure on young teens to be “normal” and date the opposite sex, even if they are attracted to the same sex. Trust me, I experienced this myself all through high school and into college. It is very conceivable that Drew could turn out to be gay.

• I disagree that not every show needs a gay character. Honestly, I think every show should have some sort of LGBT representation. Most people, whether they know it or not, have a gay person in their life. The idea that shows don’t need to represent people from the LGBTQ community is very heteronormative. It perpetuates this idea that heterosexuality is the norm, and anyone else who isn’t strays from that norm (which I’m not accusing you of saying, but I think that is often a prevalent idea, especially in the entertainment industry).

As for Drew, I agree with what others have said. Gay people often have relationships with people of the opposite sex. Some people even marry them and and don’t come out until later in life. As for gay teenagers, having relationships with people of the opposite sex is very common. You may want to test the waters, or try to figure things out. You may want to feel a sense of confirmation that what you’re feeling is definitely true. And sometimes, even if you come from an accepting and fairly progressive family, you may not be happy with who you are, and you may fear a lack of acceptance. This isn’t even mentioning sexual fluidity and that people don’t fall in love with genders, they fall in love with people.

As someone who was a gay teenager, I found myself relating a lot to Drew. I’ve read that into the character since day one. And for this show especially – with a family that big, and set in San Francisco of all places – not to have a gay character? It would just seem somewhat implausible to me, even just going by statistics.

• Miffy says:

Being heterosexual *is* normal. Penis goes into vagina – get it?

• Dean says:

Nope. There is no ‘normal’. There’s only what society – or you – say is normal, but nothing is inherently normal or not normal. That’s EXACTLY the point Joshua was making – it went over your head – that’s what heteronormativity is. When it’s arbitrarily decided what is an isn’t normal. Heteronormative society may say that heterosexual is “normal”, but who’s to say it is really? According to you it is. But according to someone else “penis going into vagina”, as you put it, would be disgusting.

• Does my first go into your face as well?

• Chester says:

@Dean: I am all for accepting everyone as they are and just letting them be, but arguing that heterosexuality is not the norm is a little too much. Most people are heterosexual, and we only reproduce – the main reason for sex – through heterosexual sex.

• Dean says:

But I think there’s a difference between being the majority – which certainly, heterosexuality is – and being “normal”. I don’t think any gay person should be made to feel they’re weird or abnormal. A minority, certainly, but just as normal as the rest – UNTIL people like @Miffy start looking at the world through a heteronormative view. It’s people like that (though I can’t speak to Miffy being this extreme) who choose to bully and ostracize people who don’t fit their view of “normal”. Which goes back to my initial point, which is that the only “normal” is the normal people create and construct societally.

For example, many people reproduce these days (heterosexual couples included) through different means than sex. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with those people, minority they may be.

I suppose the distinction may be I assume that when someone says something is “not normal” they mean it as a derogatory term. If they simply mean “not of the majority” I suppose that’s accurate. It’s the difference between saying “there’s something wrong with being gay” and “being gay is less frequent than being straight”. I see how you see it as the latter, which I understand. And in that case you’d certainly be right!

• Dean says:

Basically, the idea that anything is wrong with being gay – ‘it’s not normal’ – comes from the people who create that view societally.

• CJ says:

Heterosexual is normal, and so is homosexual, and so is bisexual, etc. Penis goes into all kinds of things, and all kinds of things go into vagina. Everyone gets it.

• Michael says:

@Chester…reproduction is the main reason for sex? That might be more preposterous than anything that has come out of Mitt Romney’s mouth in the last six months. Why don’t you poll, let’s say, just about any human being on the planet and ask them how many times the sex that they’ve had was for the purposes of reproduction?

Sex for reproduction is a part of sex but sex for reproduction is not even remotely close to being the most desired end result of sex.

• Chester says:

@Michael. Sex evolved for reproduction. Reproduction helps the species live, so it’s fun. Sex without reproduction, at least for heterosexuals, is a fairly new event. Marriage, which involves a lot more than sex, is built up around this biological process, so some people are threatened on a really deep level when we try to define marriage in some other way. I am NOT with those people, but it is good to look underneath the religion to what is driving them.

For the rest of you, the definition of normal includes the “regular pattern,” which is heterosexuality, and also the “norm.” A norm can be the “average” or “median”, which again is heterosexuality, or it can be “a pattern or trait taken to be typical in the behavior of a social group.” Maybe you can say there that there are several types of humans, all normal, but since the word normal relates so strongly to the idea of the mean/median and to the development of statistics in the 19th century, it is hard to make that argument without changing the meaning of the word normal. Normal carries within the idea that there is an average and may not really account for all of society.

• Mel says:

So, you are saying to “represent in a fair manner” there should be a gay/lesbian presence. Lets take it one step further and insist on having a transsexual, bisexual, asexual, Hispanic, Muslim, Jew, Poles, Native American, etc. Seriously, if you are going to take up a cause, you need to take up the cause for the whole human race, you can’t just insist on gays only without listing every other minority in this country. Sometimes Joshua it’s just not all about you. With the large amount of gays on TV today, I think you can’t complain about the lack of representation in 2012. I guess the main issue that everyone is making is they don’t want Drew to be gay. They want to see the evolution of young boy to manhood in a more traditional way. Nothing against a gay character, we just don’t want this character to be gay. Hey, gay next door neighbors, bring um on!

• skytzo425 says:

Every Show needs a gay person in it, Really? Come on now, so I’m guessing you think every show needs an African American, a Latin American, a Native American, a Bi-sexual, a transsexual, etc… just so they don’t portray 1 race or 1 sexuality as normal, That’s moronic.

• Bella says:

Only 10% of the population is homosexual. I like diversity in my shows, but I think it’s a problem when a particular group has to be represented in every show. Especially when there aren’t enough blacks, latinos, Asians or for crying out loud, fat people.

• Michael says:

it wouldn’t be believable? Do you know how many young gay men sleep with women until their late teens and even early 20s just so that they can avoid coming out or dealing with who they are?

There would be nothing unbelievable about Drew coming out, eventually. More importantly, I think that I’d rather see it on a show like Parenthood than most others. I don’t doubt that Jason Katims and company will handle it with sensitivity and care. And, to be honest, I never really considered that Drew might actually be straight until he and Amy did the deed.

If every show had a black, a gay, an Asian or gay, black Asian, it would be a heck of a lot more like my group of friends than any on TV at the moment.

• Becks says:

Agreed! I could have seen it before Amy, but they did a really great job with that relationship and now I can only think of him as straight.

• Jay says:

I completely disagree. Lots of gay people have “straight” relationships before coming out. It’s all part of the process. Just beucase it’s “established” that he likes, girls, so what. People come out at all ages, even aftger being married and having families. It would be totally believable to have an openly gay character come into the show and befriend Drew, and maybe make him stop and think… maybe that’s why things didn’t work out.

If we’re going for realism, it could totally happen… happened to me.

• YowzaPowza says:

Clearly you aren’t gay, or know too many gay people. It is VERY common to come as a gay person after dating people of the opposite sex. Some people come out much later in life. It’s not like Drew has been dating girls for years. It was one girl, and it’s clearly not working. Additionally, just because you like and are attracted to one person of the opposite sex, as is possible with Drew, doesn’t mean you aren’t gay, or at the very least, bisexual. If done properly and written well, it would be very believable.

• Sara says:

but it’s not not working because of drew. based on spoilers and promos, it’s not working because she met someone else.

i agree with you wholeheartedly about people who are gay trying to date people of the opposite sex, etc. but i don’t get the feeling that’s what’s going on here.

• Alex says:

Are you talking to me? Because actually, I AM gay. So ‘clearly’ is wrong. I don’t think it would be believable because Drew has been portrayed as being deeply in love with Amy, not because it’s impossible for gay men to date women at first. If Drew had been portrayed as conflicted in any way it could feel consistent, but I don’t feel like he has.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. At this point it would seem like a bit like a ratings grab, or an easy way to give him a meatier storyline, since he’s been pretty much a background player up until now. There’s been no hint of anything so far to make me believe that this could be his story. Sure, bring in another character who is gay, perhaps a friend for Drew. As others have said, in a show with such a large cast, that delves so well into real life family situations, a gay character would be great to see in the mix.

• Bob says:

I too feel this is not needed. Especially post Amy; sounds a bit ridiculous to me

• Robert Taylor says:

“Drew’s long-overdue coming out arc.”

Speaking as a gay man, just because a teenage character is shy, sweet and uncomfortable with himself does not mean he is gay, and presuming he is because of the way he acts is kind of demeaning, no? Your phrasing really, really irked me.

• lara says:

I agree – I think that making Drew gay at this point would be a form of tokenism. Why isn’t a shy, awkward kid allowed to be straight? He hasn’t really shown ANYTHING to suggest that he is interested in men. In fact, he has shown way too many private moments showing that he was deeply in love with Amy. If they had wanted to make him gay, the only believable time to do it (IMO, of course) would have been right after they had sex, with him realizing that something was off. At this point, when people say that Drew should be gay, I think it’s gaycism (Thanks Happy Endings), because you can’t imagine that a shy and awkward kid can be straight.

• lc says:

I agree, even though I think he is just shy and awkward especially when it comes to girls. I was thinking that they didn’t show them having sex. So, it could be one of those things that he didn’t get excited and what we saw in the finale was the awkwardness of a no go and Amy breaks up with him after being around gay teens at camp and later if/when he comes out she says “i know”. I honestly see both sides. I am not gay so I do not know what that journey would be like, I just hope if that’s the plan it was from the beginning and not to throw someone who is gay in the show. I would rather have a show with no gays or black people etc if it is solely done to have it represented. Just look at The New Normal show to understand why we don’t need shows to represent different groups just to appear open.

2. xsikal says:

I… did not watch any of the shows mentioned here. I cannot wait for the full fall lineup to start. :)

3. 7. The L.A. Complex: Obviously the Church of Dianetics did a lot of research after their street recruiter noticed his potential vulnerability. It is still a possibility that the girl could actually be his sister, tasked to recruit her brother. More likely they’re faked though. Would have to be a doctor involved, or she managed to switch out the samples before submission. Very clever ploy at any rate for the CoD.

4. BH says:

3 – I could see that finale twist coming from a mile away (I literally guessed that would happen when the show creator said we would see Real Jane and Fred in the finale a few weeks before the finale aired) and I was hoping they wouldn’t do it but they did.

6 – No, I didn’t see that twist coming but I think it is brilliant and am hoping we see more than 2 seconds of it in future episodes.

10 – YES – the bearded guy either needs to go or needs to be more humanized and given an interesting backstory that fits with the tone of the rest of the show. He stands out as trying too hard to be funny but not coming across as funny at all.

19 – Exactly, either give them something to do or cut them off. Samuel has never done anything entertaining to watch while runner-up Alex was given a more meaty role – which of course would have a greater impact – but he still can’t act.

5. ggny says:

21 – The OC season 4 episodes where Ryan and Taylor fall off the ladder

6. Becks says:

Random, but does the girl that plays Marley remind anyone else of Blake Lively?

7. MDEP says:

20 | Definitely overdue for a win. While I understand Gunnar being voted to go, I REALLY wish it had been Ven. Does he really need to be told to not do the flower fold again? And the one one time he didn’t, he didn’t succeed, so scrapped it and did the flower fold. One trick pony? On a side note, I have never seen an amazing pattern on the HP challenge. I am always disappointed.

8. Ace says:

Friends had a pretty awesome alternate universe episode back in the day.

9. I think we should compare a tv episode every week to Buffy! :D I loved the alt awkward episode but your right nout beats The Wish!

10. murley says:

19. Samuel is totally useless and the one character I just can’t get into. I didn’t watch the glee project so I have no opinion about any winners personalities. Alex is not a great actor but a fun character and good performer so I am on the fence about him.

21. The Wish is the best alt reality on t.v. ever. Especially since it allowed vamp willow to come back later.

11. Romi says:

My favorite alt universe episode was from 3rd Rock From The Sun.

12. Deb says:

#13 – It was great to see Peter screw up for once. I hope this drives an interesting wedge between the characters for a bit.

#21 – Supernatural’s “What Is and What Should Never Be” was heartbreaking and amazing. Jensen Ackles acted the hell out of Dean dropped into a world where his mother lived and he wasn’t close with his brother.

13. Emily says:

21 – Doctor Who’s Turn Left, of course!

14. Hannah says:

Anyone else think that because in one of Jenna’s Alt stories that since Matty was the Edward character it meant that she is going to choose him? Or is that just my wishful thinking and they just had Jake be Jacob because of the whole same name thing?

15. Whatever says:

20. Dimitri’s win this week did NOT make up for a half season of snubs.
    If he wins 3 weeks in a row that may make up for it.

16. Jared says:

LOVED Awkwards ATL universe storyline last night. Seeing Jenna play the bitch..and have her look “cute” with tons of makeup was great!. As was the part when Jake and Matty came out of the closet.

17. judebeaux says:

8. Xtina likes to show her cleavage. It’s not like her tatays are just hanging out of her bra. She shows cleave, but she always keeps it, even thought most of you don’t see it, classy.

• tripoli says:

Have to disagree. She is far from classy a lot of the time. I have no problem with her wanting to showcase her cleavage, but sometimes it’s a bit much. And coupled with her lack of pants, and general bad styling as of late, she does not come across as classy or stylish.

18. Stormy says:

Item 9: The New Normal has to rush everything to get it all in before they’re cancelled.
    Item 10; On Go On, in a weird crossover we will find out the bearded guy is Monroe’s brother from Grimm.
    Item 17: The disastrous editing on X-Factor that has Britney’s stalker complaining about his experience on stage with the supposedly already delivered flowers behind him makes fools of everyone.

19. Van says:

I saw that gay storyline–On Parenthood–coming from a mile away! I could tell Drew was gay from the beginning and anyone who says otherwise needs to really watch the show carefully with an open mind. That kid has been screaming from the closet for three seasons and it’s time he is allowed to express himself. The actor is doing a fabulous job of portraying a gay teen, who’s family is so screwed up that being gay is actually the normality in the situation. I cannot wait to see how Grandpa Braverman is gonna react to that, something tells me he is going to put his foot in his mouth a lot.

• Phil says:

Just because he’s a little shy, doesn’t mean he’s gay. I don’t think Parenthood would go there…

• Van says:

That shyness has nothing to do with it… It’s the fact that he is so bottled up, usually teens once they have some normalcy in life begin to accept themselves and I thnk that’s what he’s about to do. I think the fact that you are so adamant that they won’t do that says more about you than the show.

• JustMy2Cents says:

I often thought the same thing and related to him. In a family where his only adult male role model will probably not be too happy with a gay grandson, it would be SO difficult to come out. From the beginning I wondered – this family has so many characters, races even, different stages of relationships, but no LGBT?

20. Phil says:

Leave Drew alone! He’s straight… I wish people could see how gay people discriminate straight people as well…

• Hannah says:

He’s a character on a tv show, so he’s sexuality could change. Even if they hadn’t initially thought of making Drew a gay character, they could decide that it’s a story they want to tell. I personally don’t care either way, as long as it’s a good story that is well written and acted.

21. iMember says:

EVERYBODY SHOULD BE WATCHING “AWKWARD”
    Best comedy on television today!

22. iMember says:

Everyone should be watching “AWKWARD” It’s literally the best comedy series on TV today! I loved last night’s alt. universe episode where Jenna dabbles a bit into the world of fiction with her blog. Genius with hilarious outcomes! Can’t wait for the season finale next week.

23. Mike says:

Aren’t these just question, is a Parenthood Drew coming out story coming, or is this just speculation, personally I could go either, I always figured he was gay pre-Amy, but I also could see why he shouldn’t be gay post-amy. If they decide to go the gay way it will still make sense, because he is a teenager, and he is still trying to figure out who he is.

• James says:

Silly people, teenagers don’t have a sexuality, their bodies are so pumped on hormones, that they only respond to sex in general, not genders. Most young people take a while before reaching maturity in that area

24. sara says:

So on Parenthood there is only straight and gay? There’s absolutely nowhere in between? I guess bisexual people don’t exist in these comments.

• mia says:

I was thinking the exact same thing, I’m glad you said something. It would be really refreshing if Parenthood showed a bi teenager. Bisexuality is such an underrepresented identity on tv, its a shame.
      Drew can be attracted to both women and men.

• Eli says:

Bisexuality is too confusing for viewers, that’s why pretty much all shows/networks tend to avoid it (yes, there are exceptions like The Good Wife, I know)

• Van says:

Bi-sexual men… HAHAHAHA! To each their own I say, but like everyone says when guys go to bi-town they make a permanent stay at gay-ville and when women are bi, well that’s just a seasonal lesbian.

25. Kalee says:

Concerning Parenthood’s Drew, just make him gay already. It’s okay for gay actors to portray straight characters, but the actor um, clearly can’t pass this test. Sorry.

26. Steven says:

21 – The one that comes to mind is Friends. I’m a huge Buffy fan, but even I have to say Friends. Nothing tops fat Monica.

• oleg says:

Friends had a flashback episode, not an alt-reality episode… Fat Monica belongs in the past. Vamp Willow belongs to another reality ;D

• nick1372 says:

Friends’s “what if” episode had Monica if she’d never went on a diet, not in the past.

• krtvmnd says:

Friends did a “what if” 2 part episode, Monica was fat, Rachel married the dentist, Joey was a star who helped a struggling writer Chandler, Ross was still married to Carol and Phoebe I believe was a trader on Wall Street.

27. cjeffery7 says:

4: somewhat shamefully, YES YES YES.

28. forwarddad says:

Where is the Project Runway recap? Slezak promised today.

• Jan says:

I was wondering that, too. And there wasn’t one for last week’s episode, either. Will we ever get another Project Runway recap? :(

• Project Runway Recaps Pleeeeeeaaasse! says:

Please keep posting the PR recaps, please,please slezak!
      I know with all the silly singing competitions u r covering too but there’s just one Tim Gunny vehicle, what’s the point in seeing him tell Venn he made a maxipad dress if I cant count on ur snarky remark the next day to make me relive it and giggle all over again.

29. mia says:

I’ve always thought Amber was the closeted character on Parenthood. That would be an awesome storyline and Mae Witman is so talented she could bring some real depth and honesty to it.

• Anne says:

The way Amber’s slept around that show, theres no way i would buy that she was gay lol

• Tom says:

Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t do it though. They could justify it by saying that none of her relationships have panned out. Apparently, people only get upset if a boy comes out as gay after having relationships with with girls. TV has been doing this kind of stuff with girls and women for years: Kerry Weaver on ER, Willow on Buffy, Callie on Grey’s Anatomy. Of course it’s a ratings grab! But that doesn’t mean it can’t work either. Maybe make him bisexual or something, that could be interesting. But having Amber come out would be the conventional route and less controversial. And the network could find some hot chick for her to be with and really play up the girl-on-girl stuff. That’s what I’d expect to have happen if anyone on this show is going to come out.

30. CJ says:

We have no way of knowing if Drop Dead Diva jumped the shark–by definition, you can’t know unless and until the show ends. “Jumping the shark” means a show is irretrievably broken. In this case, you have to give them a chance to continue the show beyond the plot point that bothers you.

• ohlala says:

^^ this. it’s clear that jane is supposed to end up with greyson, so this was a nice way to get owen out of the picture. he was sweet and nice, but he’s not her true love.

• krtvmnd says:

Clear that they are supposed to be together? Your opinion. I don’t like them as a romantic couple I like them as friends. I don’t see any chemistry with them. Personally I like Owne and I liked Tony too. However, I do think the finale was just terrible. I have been a fan since the 1st episode but the ending was to weird even for this show!

• ohlala says:

it’s just obvious, sorry you’re special. this is like saying peter and olivia aren’t supposed to be together on fringe – – some shows set up core couples from the first episode, and the show is, in essence, “their story”

31. Jermey says:

Friends had the best “What If” episode. hands down.

32. nick1372 says:

2. I don’t know what that is, but anything OUAT is good. :-)

9. Not really. Jane probably has a million one-liners up her sleeve :-)

10. It’s only the second episode. He’ll probably have a backstory soon.

15. There could be so many questions about this past week and you pick that one?

21. Friends’s “The One That Could Have Been” was the best ever.

33. Deena says:

That was a GREAT episode of White Collar. While I usually don’t like revisiting the tension/trust issue between Neal & Peter, this was very well done.

Blake Shelton is HILARIOUS and one of the reasons I started watching The Voice. I would watch a sitcom with him for sure.

34. Blake says:

I am a season behind on Parenthood, so a I have not seen (all of) Drew’s relationship with Amy, but based purely on the first two seasons, I always thought that Drew would turn out to be queer.

Sure you get sensitive straight men and they have been covered on television, but a queer male character is still a significantly less explored character arc.

Every show does not need a queer character, but let us not pretend that there are that many regular / recurring three-dimensional queer characters on television.
    Out of all the new shows this television, I think only three include queer characters, i.e., The New Normal, Partners and Chicago Fire.

For every one regular / recurring queer character on television, you could probably name a hundred or more regular / recurring straight characters, just based off the last couple of decades when queer characters started being included on television.

Personally, I am tired of stories relating to coming out, facing discrimination, etcetera. I would just like more shows where one of the characters just happens to be queer, i.e., who he dates is different, but otherwise he is similar to one of the many established straight character tracks.

35. FFG says:

I, personally, am sick and tired of every show having to have “LGBT representation”. What once used to feel like a liberating expression has turned into a feeling of forced acceptance. I don’t give a care who anyone loves, but I don’t particularly want to be involved in their “drama” either. Save it for Logo where the target audience is much more appropriate!

• Anna says:

Oh honey, LGBTQ people are all around you. Keeping them off of non-Logo shows makes zero sense. I don’t particularly want to be “involved” in the “drama” that bigots go through, yet they are all over television as well. Get over it.